Speculation: status of our D post Deangelo

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Around the time of herd immunity the D will look like the below and all of this will be but a distant memory

Miller Trouba
Lindgren Fox
FA or whoever wins job out of 6 guys - Lundkvist
Bitetto

Reactions: NYSPORTS

JayAB81

Oct 18, 2020
Around the time of herd immunity the D will look like the below and all of this will be but a distant memory

Miller Trouba
Lindgren Fox
Bitetto
I'm assuming this is for 2021-2022 season? I'm curious how much Lindgren will ask for next offseason, and then Fox the offseason after that.

Also, wonder what Defenders are signed(unsigned draft picks), by my count we have 7 unsigned defenseman.

LD Calle Sjalin
LD Jacob Ragnarsson
LD Zachary Jones
LD Simon Kjellberg
RD Nils Lundkvist
RD Braden Schneider
RD Hunter Skinner

Also, Libor Hajek, & Yegor Rykov are RFAs. I wonder how close Matthew Robertson & Tarmo Reunanen are to being on the main team.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey

Miller Trouba
Lindgren Fox
Bitetto
Nah I don’t know about distant memory. We just wasted an asset. We’ve done that with Lias too. Maybe Kravtsov is next. We keep doing this too often, and it’s going to set us back.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Nah I don’t know about distant memory. We just wasted an asset. We’ve done that with Lias too. Maybe Kravtsov is next. We keep doing this too often, and it’s going to set us back.

We have wasted some do to poor draft/mismanagement
Krav will not be one.

Hajek is a possible victim b'c we keep guys like Smith
Play the kids take the growing pains

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
We have wasted some do to poor draft/mismanagement
Krav will not be one.

Hajek is a possible victim b'c we keep guys like Smith
Play the kids take the growing pains

Even if Hajek hadn’t had such an poor start to his NHL career, he has yet to provide himself either as steady or impressive physically/defensively/mentally as other LD like Lindgren and Miller. The team can’t afford to run a defense of 6 young D just because they have the assets to give ‘em a go - they want to be competitive. Even if their play doesn’t impress, Smith at least has a strong working knowledge of NHL play, which Hajek doesn’t.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
“I would absolutely lock him up for 6 x $6.” lol. Many were against that length due to the cap. Hardly a pivot while you were adamant about it.

Regarding Gordon, you can’t make these mistakes which i have not pivoted off of. One game into a new contract the kid gets benched for slamming a door in game in which the whole team looked lost. Haven’t changed my position. Give it try someday

In fairness, I don't think anyone foresaw that ADA would have a melt down. Sure, he had some issues in the past but by all accounts he had matured and gotten his sh*t together on and off the ice. His issues were yelling at refs and making some unknown comment as a teenager. We aren't talking about intense drug use or domestic violence.

Obviously, the Rangers saw enough that they felt good about signing him again.

Honestly, I was on the fence between locking him up long term or not. Without Fox, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. With Fox, it made it more complicated, but it's hard to fault a team for locking up a 25 year old 60 point defenseman long term. The guy was putting up numbers from the backline that we hadn't seen since Leetch 20+ years ago.

I think criticizing Gorton now falls into the hindsight is 20/20 argument.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Even if Hajek hadn’t had such an poor start to his NHL career, he has yet to provide himself either as steady or impressive physically/defensively/mentally as other LD like Lindgren and Miller. The team can’t afford to run a defense of 6 young D just because they have the assets to give ‘em a go - they want to be competitive. Even if their play doesn’t impress, Smith at least has a strong working knowledge of NHL play, which Hajek doesn’t.

Hajek was brilliant first 5 games, all that we hoped for and more.
Then he got injured -- nobody's fault.
Then he got lost in the shuffle == shared responsibility, but mostly club's fault esp since most pairings were not good.

Looked good -- quiet but good -- on what I saw so far tonight.

I share your hunger for another cup, sooner than later.
But luck aside success doesn't come w'o the work of a build to = foundation for success.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
In fairness, I don't think anyone foresaw that ADA would have a melt down. Sure, he had some issues in the past but by all accounts he had matured and gotten his sh*t together on and off the ice. His issues were yelling at refs and making some unknown comment as a teenager. We aren't talking about intense drug use or domestic violence.

Obviously, the Rangers saw enough that they felt good about signing him again.

Honestly, I was on the fence between locking him up long term or not. Without Fox, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. With Fox, it made it more complicated, but it's hard to fault a team for locking up a 25 year old 60 point defenseman long term. The guy was putting up numbers from the backline that we hadn't seen since Leetch 20+ years ago.

I think criticizing Gorton now falls into the hindsight is 20/20 argument.

can’t have a leash that short imo. Guy gets benched Game 1. If he’s that much of a risk you have know it.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
can’t have a leash that short imo. Guy gets benched Game 1. If he’s that much of a risk you have know it.

Pure speculation on my part but I’m guessing the plan was hoping he put up another big year then deal him as established offensive defenseman. If they foresaw the meltdown then you have to figure they’d have dealt him for even poor value in the offseason.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hajek looked pretty poor in both New York and Hartford last year. I didn't see him in the Czech League this year but apparently he wasn't good and even was a scratch at one point.

If he can somehow be just a decent #6, that's a big win at this point. I was always bullish on him, so I think he has it in him.

Reactions: bernmeister

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Hajek looked pretty poor in both New York and Hartford last year. I didn't see him in the Czech League this year but apparently he wasn't good and even was a scratch at one point.

If he can somehow be just a decent #6, that's a big win at this point. I was always bullish on him, so I think he has it in him.

He was fine tonight against a very aggressive team. If he can build or sustain it I think he will be ok.

Again, he did nothing spectacular but conversely no huge gaffs either, when you're the 3rd pair that's more than ok.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I think the emergence of Miller really changed the perception of the defense to me. When it all comes together for him they’re going to have a really special player on their hands.

I also like that the defense actually played defense the last few games. They were a lot of fun last year, and the talent is without question, but you need to defensemen to actually play defense.

Reactions: bernmeister

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Pure speculation on my part but I’m guessing the plan was hoping he put up another big year then deal him as established offensive defenseman. If they foresaw the meltdown then you have to figure they’d have dealt him for even poor value in the offseason.

They could have not resigned him too. My point is, you’ve been around the guy for three years and almost 170 games. Game one, a game in which nobody shows up, he gets benched for slamming a door? Is this Pee-wee hockey? Imo, give the whole team a pass for a miserable, frustrating game and move on. After all, you just gave the guy a contract after he’s been her for almost three years and 170 games.

Knowing the cap is tight and broadcasting how much you don’t want this guy 7 games into a contract drives his worth south. You have to be a better business man than this imo.

Now if he gets Bennett back, he turned this scenario 180. We’ll all stay tuned

Cheers

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
How the heck did he earn that 2y/$9,6m contract? Yet again NYR shines with mismanagement. He never should've been re-signed, obviously. From a first round pick to clearing waivers without anyone wanting him. Three teams have now quit on him. He's a headcase that can't stop himself from being an idiot.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
How the heck did he earn that 2y/$9,6m contract? Yet again NYR shines with mismanagement. He never should've been re-signed, obviously. From a first round pick to clearing waivers without anyone wanting him. Three teams have now quit on him. He's a headcase that can't stop himself from being an idiot.

FWIW I think Tony was a lot more focused on playing and earning a new contract last year and even his defending while not great did improve. Once he got that contract he wasn't so focused anymore---his attention turned more towards other things including his podcast and his political outlook. Maybe being scratched in games 2 and 3 help set all this off but it was a stupid and unnecessary extra penalty he took and when that door slammed the first thing I thought was 'is he going to get an extra 2?' and that's exactly what happened. His play after that even when he did get power play time was not good.

It's a smart thing not to bring politics too much into your workplace. When asked to stop by multiple people at all levels it's also probably a good idea to find something else to talk about. He apparently got his hackles up instead. It's unfortunate but fortunately we do have replacements for him in our system.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Am I allowed to say I like Bitetto in a bottom pair role or will that get me into trouble on this board?

he’s not terrible but ideally a spare next year .
Lindgren , Fox
Miller , Trouba
Reuananen, Lundkvist
Bitetto , Hajek

Jones , Robertson , Schneider - not sure who has options for juniors left but I assume Jones is done College

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
he’s not terrible but ideally a spare next year .
Lindgren , Fox
Miller , Trouba
Reuananen, Lundkvist
Bitetto , Hajek

Jones , Robertson , Schneider - not sure who has options for juniors left but I assume Jones is done College
I'm talking about now, as in this season I think he has a chance to stick on that pair for the year even when others are back healthy. I'm avoiding projections on what will be next year bc I think there will be at least one significant (big) roster move made this summer that will alter any roster projects made here this season.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I'm talking about now, as in this season I think he has a chance to stick on that pair for the year even when others are back healthy. I'm avoiding projections on what will be next year bc I think there will be at least one significant (big) roster move made this summer that will alter any roster projects made here this season.

ah well he does have a chance to stick but we both know Smith and Johnson are gonna get back in a bit. So both Hajek and Bitetto need to keep playing steady

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How the heck did he earn that 2y/$9,6m contract?
By being a great teammate and producing numbers like Leetch for 1.5 years. He was on his best behavior. Of course you sign him.
He's a headcase that can't stop himself from being an idiot.
Unfortunately, this has also turned to be true, which is why he is not here. But no one could have predicted his meltdown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->