State of the Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Holy smokes those Gibson quotes are brutal.

"Can't make it past the red line."

Yikes. He just called the team pathetic. I don't blame him one bit. He is the only reason the Ducks are not 1-9.

RC needs to go now.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Holy smokes those Gibson quotes are brutal.

"Can't make it past the red line."

Yikes. He just called the team pathetic. I don't blame him one bit. He is the only reason the Ducks are not 1-9.

RC needs to go now.

I think maybe it's being read incorrectly. He's saying he can't contribute to fixing the scoring issues, and I believe the red line comment was just a snarky reason for that (goalie not being allowed to play the puck past center).

That's my take on it anyway. "Can't fix the scoring issue (insert snarky reference to rulebook) so I'll just continue to focus on my job". I don't think he was saying the team can't make it past the red line.

I guess it's still finger pointing either way

Last edited:

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Is this a real quote? Can't get past the red line? Hahahaha love it

It was actually from the same Athletic article as the other Gibson quote that was posted. So after the Chicago game, not Vegas like I originally thought.

Ducks continuing shot disparity struggles show strong start...

And I wouldn't doubt it if he said it with a little snark intended. He's got to be getting fed up with busting his ass for 60 minutes a night when everyone else isn't doing the same.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I read somewhere today that we are currently sitting at the worst shot differential since the 1974-75 Washington Capitals. Really early days and I have no doubt it will improve but that’s some pretty horrific company to be in.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I read somewhere today that we are currently sitting at the worst shot differential since the 1974-75 Washington Capitals. Really early days and I have no doubt it will improve but that’s some pretty horrific company to be in.

That would be found in Friedman's latest 31 Thoughts, yes. Good one Randy.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
That would be found in Friedman's latest 31 Thoughts, yes. Good one Randy.

Yeah it was. Couldn’t remember if it was an athletic article or 31 thoughts. Every article I read lately about us is harping on the topic haha.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
yeah, it's basically the Anaheim Gibsons right now. maybe we should just start having them wing it down the ice at the other goalies when other teams dump it in. Hell, if we're playing Elliot it's a very good chance it'll even go in!

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
31 Thoughts: Goalies at odds with NHL, each other over new equipment - Sportsnet.ca

How good is John Gibson? He’s played eight of Anaheim’s 10 games. The Ducks are last in shots for, with an average of 23.9. They are also last in shots allowed (37.9). Perusing NHL.com, only one team in history has a worse differential: the expansion 1974–75 Washington Capitals. (That team holds the NHL record for fewest shots per game in one season, with 23.1; they finished 8-67-5 as opponents averaged 38.3.) Despite that, the Ducks are a point out of first in the Pacific Division. There is no one carrying his team more than Gibson, who might just be the Vezina winner if he keeps this up.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I can't believe we are somehow 5-5-1 with 4 ROW to start the season with this on-ice product. If we weren't playing in the worst division, we could be dead last in the league.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
samuelis need to wake TF up

murray is going to stick with RC barring a 30 game losing streak. its time they both get shown the door

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
They've got 13 games coming up, basically all at home. Only 2 road games are Kings and Vegas, and only one back to back set.

If they can't use this next month at home to figure their shit out, then it's going to be a long f***ing season.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
samuelis need to wake TF up

murray is going to stick with RC barring a 30 game losing streak. its time they both get shown the door
The Samueli’s won’t do anything either until people lose interest in the season.

It’s going to have to get worse before things get better. 5-5-1 isn’t a bad enough record for them to do anything meaningful. It sucks

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The Samueli’s won’t do anything either until people lose interest in the season.

It’s going to have to get worse before things get better. 5-5-1 isn’t a bad enough record for them to do anything meaningful. It sucks
All it will take is an empty arena.

Which will be likely if play continues to be this boring and this bad.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
It took 7-13-4 to get him fired last time. I wonder if BM learned anything or if we waste another year with no playoffs.
He didn't sound like he was happy with Carlyle, last season. I don't think it will get that far. Thankfully, this team isn't as skeletal as that 2012 roster was. Whoever takes over is going to be in a better position to succeed.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
All it will take is an empty arena.

Which will be likely if play continues to be this boring and this bad.

Never have an empty area. Since at least 30-40% of the crowd at the games are rooting for the road team, it will only free up more tickets for the visiting team's fans.

Winter in SoCal, good arena location, available seats, and a budget team are a recipe for economic success, or at least a break even.

John

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Never have an empty area. Since at least 30-40% of the crowd at the games are rooting for the road team, it will only free up more tickets for the visiting team's fans.

Winter in SoCal, good arena location, available seats, and a budget team are a recipe for economic success, or at least a break even.

John
Well they average 80% capacity in a normal competitive season and they still lose money on their books. If the rink is going to be less than half full in December and January, they aren't going to be pleased with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad