State of the Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
It took 7-13-4 to get him fired last time. I wonder if BM learned anything or if we waste another year with no playoffs.
And if he's fired early, it really makes you wonder why BM didn't just fire him in the off-season, Anaheim will effectively be 2-3 months behind other teams when it comes to preparation when RC is fired. Certainly one of a few very questionable decisions from BM in recent times.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Our defense is the most frustrating thing ever to watch as a fan. Starting to think they're very overrated.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Our defense is the most frustrating thing ever to watch as a fan. Starting to think they're very overrated.
Couldn't disagree more (in terms of being very overrated)

The defence has shown in the past (15/16 and even 16/17) that with a clear system in place they can be among the best in the league - granted that's with Vatanen instead of Montour. The problem is the coaching and lack of any sort of system, not the defencemen themselves.

PaddyMcStackin

Goalier Than Thou
Apr 18, 2018
fans-show-their-displeasure-for-head-coach-randy-carlyle-of-the-in-picture-id134190396

Too early?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
They are probably exhausted from the puck being in our zone for 90% of the game.... I can't even remember a time all season where we cycled for more than 20 seconds

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Carlyle isn't going to be fired with half of the forward roster out. It just won't happen.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
And if he's fired early, it really makes you wonder why BM didn't just fire him in the off-season, Anaheim will effectively be 2-3 months behind other teams when it comes to preparation when RC is fired. Certainly one of a few very questionable decisions from BM in recent times.
Which unfortunately is why nothing will be done for at least another month. The justification will be to give RC a chance to implement his system when he has a fully healthy roster, and see how they look over a number of games.

Unfortunately, this next stretch is the team’s best chance to rack up points. 11 of 13 at home with road games at LA and Vegas. If they don’t take advantage of it, which they probably won’t given the current state of affairs, their chance to make the playoffs likely goes up in smoke. And any change made at that point will be way too late.

Oct 18, 2011
Think about it

The ducks broadcasters pushed a narrative that slash skating and less D to D passes were going to fix things.

The ducks don't have a fast team. How can you play fast with this roster? It doesn't make sense.

The defensive concepts are exploited every single game we chase the puck, our players get tired and they collapse. The opponents own the points and just wear us down on top of usually being a faster team

Also we're boring. Idc if we're boring and good but boring and bad is how you kill fan interest, and I don't know how a few returning wingers will dramatically improve the shot disparity

Reactions: Paul4587

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Couldn't disagree more (in terms of being very overrated)

The defence has shown in the past (15/16 and even 16/17) that with a clear system in place they can be among the best in the league - granted that's with Vatanen instead of Montour. The problem is the coaching and lack of any sort of system, not the defencemen themselves.

And what system is that? If you've ever played a high level of hockey you know that systems play does not have a big impact on defenseman. There might be slight differences, like blueline pinching or trap plays but nothing else. The most important system for defenseman is the powerplay, and even that has been horrendous.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
When the going gets tough, you need structure to fall back on, and this team just doesn't have any.

I mean you can't blame everything on the coaches..cmon. When Schenn turns the puck over fifteen million times a game is that because of "structure?"

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I mean you can't blame everything on the coaches..cmon. When Schenn turns the puck over fifteen million times a game is that because of "structure?"

You tell me not to blame coaching, and then point the finger at a bottom pairing Dman we signed for under a million dollars to be a 6/7 guy?

I've spent several hours a week breaking down game film for several years now, I'm not claiming to be an expert but I damn well know an archaic system when I see one.

Reactions: Paul4587

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Never have an empty area. Since at least 30-40% of the crowd at the games are rooting for the road team, it will only free up more tickets for the visiting team's fans.

Winter in SoCal, good arena location, available seats, and a budget team are a recipe for economic success, or at least a break even.

John
Last year, during the times the team was in boring-to-watch mode, there were some games with well under 10K attendance, with a significant number of those not cheering on the Ducks. That’s what I’m talking about. They won’t put up with that for long, because it’ll mean they’ll have to drop ticket prices the next year or they’ll lose a goodly chuck of season ticket holders.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
You tell me not to blame coaching, and then point the finger at a bottom pairing Dman we signed for under a million dollars to be a 6/7 guy?

I've spent several hours a week breaking down game film for several years now, I'm not claiming to be an expert but I damn well know an archaic system when I see one.

The point is not about Schenn, it's about our defense as a whole. I used Schenn as an example. Either way Bob Murray signed Schenn not Carlyle. Murray's not a coach. So I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say there.

My point is that there is more to a team than it's system if they have one. I would love for you to explain what this system is if it's so obviously "arcaic" to you.

Reactions: teemussalami1

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
And what system is that? If you've ever played a high level of hockey you know that systems play does not have a big impact on defenseman. There might be slight differences, like blueline pinching or trap plays but nothing else. The most important system for defenseman is the powerplay, and even that has been horrendous.
The systems play involving the forwards backchecking, covering their men, and getting open for outlet passes absolutely impacts how the defensemen look, and the “system” currently being used gets a decidedly failing grade in all of those departments. Repeated failure will start to impact on the defensemen’s confidence and play.

This thought going around that all goals are scored because of the defensemen is sorta bizarre. Not saying that you’re saying that, but nobody looks good on D without proper support from the forwards, and that’s not happening. The rookies have been here as long as the veterans with this system now. None of them get it. As we have veterans who have successfully played hockey at a high level before...That’s on the coaches. Either the system is crap or their teaching it is crap. BB had multiple systems. RC brought in a new one last year. Every single time the team got it but this year.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The point is not about Schenn, it's about our defense as a whole. I used Schenn as an example. Either way Bob Murray signed Schenn not Carlyle. Murray's not a coach. So I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say there.

My point is that there is more to a team than it's system if they have one. I would love for you to explain what this system is if it's so obviously "arcaic" to you.

Wingers too deep and too wide on breakouts. Hard rim to stagnant weak side winger on his wall, pointless chip to no one in the neutral zone because we are always 5 below the puck. Or double bump to partner to stagnant weak side winger on his wall, when we want some variety. Very few reverses, center reverses, stretch plays, middle bumps, or quick ups to strong side winger step off and back to weak side D.... just keep pounding those pucks around the wall and chipping it to center for no one so we can go right back to forechecking.

You can't play so deep and predictably and expect teams not to sit on top of you all game. Randy started to make the adjustment in the pre season, our wingers were playing higher, our weak side D was jumping up and getting involved - and the game was visibly faster and more exciting. But now it's right back to the shell.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
5th in the Pacific. Edmonton in the final divisional playoff spot with 2 games in hand.

I think that says everything.

Although I get a lot of schadenfreude from LA being -18 and Detroit being -20 in 10 games.

Oct 18, 2011

The collapse based system is what I don't like. Anaheim gives up the points which is one thing, but we're also giving up the high danger areas! How? The points up high pick us apart, Anaheim chases, defends and is always reactionary. Then when we get the puck everyone is tired and we give up possession.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
It isn't necessarily that the team needs faster players, though that wouldn't hurt. The newer faster NHL is more about transitioning from defense to offense very quickly to catch the opposing defense off guard and get those high danger chances, as well as limit the other team's high danger chances by transitioning back quickly as well. I don't think RC gets that, I think his version of "play faster" is "skate harder" so the team gets gassed and gives up those chances without generating a lot of their own. Look at a team like Washington. There aren't a ton of super fast players on that team. They aren't pylons by any means, but Carlson and Ovie aren't exactly McDavid or Mackinnon fast, however they transition well and can keep the pace up. Anaheim looks gassed after the first 10 minutes in nearly every game, and I don't think Carlyle understands why either. The team.looks like they're doing a bag skate the first 10 minutes and then just trying to hang on for dear life.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
Wingers too deep and too wide on breakouts. Hard rim to stagnant weak side winger on his wall, pointless chip to no one in the neutral zone because we are always 5 below the puck. Or double bump to partner to stagnant weak side winger on his wall, when we want some variety. Very few reverses, center reverses, stretch plays, middle bumps, or quick ups to strong side winger step off and back to weak side D.... just keep pounding those pucks around the wall and chipping it to center for no one so we can go right back to forechecking.

You can't play so deep and predictably and expect teams not to sit on top of you all game. Randy started to make the adjustment in the pre season, our wingers were playing higher, our weak side D was jumping up and getting involved - and the game was visibly faster and more exciting. But now it's right back to the shell.
agree..they also lack proper puck support...strong side wingers are to high in d zone which is allowing other teams d to hold the line as well poke at pucks, which is keeping us pinned in our own end and leading to players out of position when the pucks are turned over....they other thing that is killing me is all this NZ play...teams dont really use the NZ any more and they sure as hell dont make 2+ passes through the NZ to try and gain entry...the last 2 or 3 preseason games really gave me hope, but that was the last time I saw it.

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad