State of the Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Hiya everyone,

Haven't seen a recent thread dedicated to this topic, so thought I'd start it. TL;DR, sorry.

Injured/Not Playing: As of 10/22, injured list of regular NHLers currently includes: Corey Perry, Andrej Kase, Jacob Silfverberg, Patrick Eaves. Getting into game-shape is Nick Ritchie. Questionable health is Ryan Getzlaf (based on his performance in the 2 games over this weekend).

Non-Proven players: In the lineup still includes: Ben Street, Sam Steel, Pontus Aberg, Joseph Blandisi, Max Comtois, Isac Lundestrom, Kiefer Sherwood.

With that out of the way, the big story for all of us is how badly the Ducks are being outplayed. They have been unable to stay in the offensive zone and provide pressure for longer than 15 seconds at a time. They are being outshot by a horrific margin in almost every single game, with most of their games coming against lower/middle-tier teams, and even Gibson is starting to get fed up.

The "new, up-tempo" Ducks don't look it at all. The concept here was supposed to be, not so much skating faster, but moving the puck more quickly, which means don't stop skating. It was also supposed to involve less dump & chase, and more carrying the puck in.

When I DO see a difference in style from them, it's usually in the form of less D to D passing. Instead of maintaining solid possession if they don't see any forwards available, they're trying to force passes forward. This is often with forwards that are more than 20 feet ahead of them (gap is large), and instead of those forwards moving laterally to more easily catch the puck and open up space, those forwards are moving forward, which makes them a harder target and makes them have to look backward, which can either be dangerous or prevent them from knowing what's going on in front of them (making for more giveaways).

So they're not moving as a group. Huge gap between F and D, and when the inevitable turnover happens, we often see 3 on 2s coming the other way in a hurry.

And then sometimes it's not even 3 on 2, but 2 on 1, because one of our D (last game it seemed to be Montour more than any of the others) would try to skate it up and lose it.

All of our players are looking pretty bad, not just the rookies. At least with Lundestrom and Steel, we're seeing some good things here and there. (Also, I agree with those of you that said to take Fowler off the 1st PP and put Steel in there) Sustr definitely needs to go...Schenn is more reliable. Sherwood just needs to be used properly in a 4th line energy role, not with goal scorers. It's good that Terry's been sent down, and Aberg also needs to be sent down.

But in the end, it looks like it comes down to systems. I'm not on a witch hunt, but an up-tempo style just isn't something Carlyle is an expert on, and being forced to attempt this strategy is exposing the weaknesses in his plan (if the players are actually executing like he's trying to get them to do). Shot differential can be attributed to a depleted roster to some degree, but at this extent, it's so large and consistent every game that it's not an anomaly. We're last place in the league by far with regard to possession metrics, and things need to change.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
last night's first line consisted of pontus aberg, an injured getzlaf, and 30 something year old journeyman ben street

the entire team looks a step behind and lethargic. just no fun to watch

i would hate to think of where this team would be without gibson. just embarrassing. i know injuries have a lot to do with that but its sickening how murray and carlyle will simply get a pass for this BS. both need to go ASAP

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Pretty much agree with all that.

I'm still gonna hold judgment until they get more time to play together and we get a few more forwards back. Kase, Ritchie, Silfverberg, Rowney and Eaves could all be back within a month or two, and that makes this team look awfully different on paper than it does now. I'm not promising it will be better, but I think it's reasonable to think there's a good chance it's better. NHL seasons are fickle. I've seen teams look absolutely awful for two months and then become unbeatable, and vice-versa.

But my outlook for this team is worse than it was a month ago.

I will point out that this team is still in first place. Might as well point it out now because I don't think it lasts much longer. This week has a chance to erase our good/lucky start.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
its prety bleak as of right now. There are just too many places on our roster where we are not quite good enough and those pile up and leads to what e are seeing on the ice. I think our first change should start with the coach.

Lets not forget how much of a difference losing silfverberg and kase is though. If they were healthy it would make a material difference in our teams composure

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I think they are playing dump and chase and defensive hockey not because of the system, but because they're just that bad. While the kids are promising doing ok, they aren't exactly impact players either. Comtois should stay. Steel should stay until we're getting healhty and then we can re-evaluate. As for Lundestrom I don't see any reason keeping him around once he's played his nine games here, when he can go back to SHL and play top six minutes and special teams there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, people underestimate the level of skill it takes to be successful in the NHL as a 'skill player'. So as much crap the likes of Grant and Shaw got early last season, you're no better off with skill players such as Pontus Aberg on your 4th line. Gibbons can at least kill penalties but he's been underwhelming so far. I'd rather have the likes of Carrick, Shaw and Tropp up here right now, as we're constantly being outmuscled and losing puck battles. We are getting outskilled either way, so me might as well try to be harder to play against. And yes, I know Shaw and Tropp are on AHL only deals right now.

As for Sustr I still don't think the hate is warranted, not yet at least. He had a good game the other night. Every pass he made was on tape, he locked up Sheary for what would have been an open net goal and he nearly gave one of our forwards (I forgot who) a breakaway with a nice stretch pass through the middle. He iced the puck once but that shouldn't even have been icing, as the Ducks forward was clearly first. Our 3rd pairing, weather it's Pettersson and Sustr or Pettersson and Schenn is playing 12 minutes per night and those are minutes they can handle. The 3rd pairing isn't the problem. The top 4 has been very underwhelming and so has team defence overall.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I agree that the D is trying to force it forward at all costs and it’s causing a lot of turnovers. The forwards are doing a crappy job at getting open and as a result the D are turning it over because Carlyle seems to have drummed it into their head to never go back to the other Dman with the puck.

I don’t get it, plenty of other good teams still utilise d to d passes. It should be a situational thing, this season I’m seeing a guy like Fowler who never used to turn the puck over in transition constantly turning it over because they have no options to move it to a forward.

Reactions: Exit Dose

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
It is hard to say if this team is or is not good enough to compete. They are so out of sync and are just blindly moving the puck with area passes, which usually results in a turnover. Right now it just seems like a free-for-all out there under Carlyle's beer league system.

I look for Jim Mora to show up and help with the post game interview, but that may have to wait until January.

John

Reactions: Cogsfordogs7

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Telling RC to implement a new system is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It's not what he's done, it's not what he believes in. It's similar to the Angels telling Scioscia to incorporate analytics and Ohtani into his 2002 culture. It's destined to fail. If RC is going to coach the team moving forward, give him players that fit his system. If you want to get faster, move the puck, and possess the puck more in the other team's zone, bring in a new coach.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I've always been pro-Murray for the most part, but he deserves to be fired for first rehiring RC and then doubling down by not making a change after last year even after acknowledging the team was a disaster and needed a drastic overhaul in terms of style of play.

Those decisions legitimately could have set the franchise back several seasons, all while wasting what few good years some of the top veterans have left.

Reactions: pesko

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The team is what it is. Getzlaf will never move the puck quickly; never has, never will. I can't see Kesler on a speed line. Hopefully his line can add more production. That leaves 2 lines that can be quicker, not necessarily speed lines, but lines that can be turned loose on the rush.

It really comes down to fitting the right players together, something Carlyle has a problem figuring out. Putting lines together has been an issue for the Ducks for years. Boudreau screwed up lines just for the heck of it. Carlyle just seems clueless to establishing any chemistry with this group, although it is early in the season.

John

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I've always been pro-Murray for the most part, but he deserves to be fired for first rehiring RC and then doubling down by not making a change after last year even after acknowledging the team was a disaster and needed a drastic overhaul in terms of style of play.

Those decisions legitimately could have set the franchise back several seasons, all while wasting what few good years some of the top veterans have left.

Bob is not perfect but we are far better under him than we would likely be without. He has restocked the franchise at every position throughout his tenure as well as keeping the team competitive through a rebuild. His main faults have pretty much been addressed and corrected or have resolved themselves. There are many GM's who couldve restricted our success far more than BM had they been at the helm.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Bob is not perfect but we are far better under him than we would likely be without. He has restocked the franchise at every position throughout his tenure as well as keeping the team competitive through a rebuild. His main faults have pretty much been addressed and corrected or have resolved themselves. There are many GM's who couldve restricted our success far more than BM had they been at the helm.
I’m not questioning his management of the roster. That’s why he has as much leeway as he has. But it’s counterproductive to put together what you feel is a competitive team (and prospect group), and then put someone who is completely out of his depth in charge of running it on the ice.

No doubt he felt like he was forced to fire RC the first time against his own desires, and then took the first chance he had to hire him back. Then inexplicably backed him again when at the same time admitting the product on the ice was inferior.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don’t have that big of a problem with the rehire of RC. Could we have done better? Sure, but they had a decent run in 2017. But to not fire him after that SJ playoff farce is a fireable offense by BM, as far as I’m concerned. We were talented enough to make that a competitive series and we got blown out of the water by a rival. That’s the bottom line.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
I don't understand how BM can think that he can change the way the team plays without changing the core or the coaching staff. How many coaches have managed to successfully change their coaching style?

Both the team and the coaching staff seem to be over their heads and out of sync, if it doesn't improve I wonder when the team will start tuning out on Carlyle again.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I think the rookies are a breath of fresh air. Lundestrom is looking like he could develop into an important piece were you can insert him anywhere into the lineup, and he'll make plays. Steel is still growing, and to me at least, looks like he's slowly getting better game by game.

I'm surprised people are always willing to throw Aberg back into the minors. He was always the first one to the puck in the Buffalo game, and was always thinking of shooting first. We have to give the guy time rather than bumping him up and down the first chance we get

I feel this team isn't going to be healthy enough to compete all season, and then by some miracle make it to the playoffs (and exit quickly shortly after).

I've never been a fan of RC. I feel like tactics and coaching styles have changed and his hasn't really worked with the second time around. I feel like he has stifled Montours offensive game (like he did with Vatanen) and not let him run wild on the PP or even 5v5.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I think the rookies are a breath of fresh air. Lundestrom is looking like he could develop into an important piece were you can insert him anywhere into the lineup, and he'll make plays. Steel is still growing, and to me at least, looks like he's slowly getting better game by game.

I'm surprised people are always willing to throw Aberg back into the minors. He was always the first one to the puck in the Buffalo game, and was always thinking of shooting first. We have to give the guy time rather than bumping him up and down the first chance we get

I feel this team isn't going to be healthy enough to compete all season, and then by some miracle make it to the playoffs (and exit quickly shortly after).

I've never been a fan of RC. I feel like tactics and coaching styles have changed and his hasn't really worked with the second time around. I feel like he has stifled Montours offensive game (like he did with Vatanen) and not let him run wild on the PP or even 5v5.

Aberg looked a lot better than he did the first game. No issue with him staying up and sending the rookies down so we don't burn a year

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Could be that there is a plan for some restructuring this offseason to let Carlyle and Murray step into other positions and ease towards retirement ( I think this has already been said about Randy). So, this was viewed as a transition year with lowered expectations from the beginning, despite all of Murray's barking this summer. If, let's say, Eakins is the planned heir to the bench, I doubt they'd be quick to shakeup both teams at once with a midseason change, and the ultimate coach hiring decision would be left for the guy Murray hands his keys to (Madden?) anyhow.

Something like that would make more sense of Carlyle's return this year, any lack of major reaction by Murray to the team's poor play (injuries help shadow some of this), and perhaps why no big changes to the roster (leaving it for the next guy). It would also mean both Bob and Randy will have a longer leash this season than might be expected otherwise. For Murray, it would be the perfect way to progress. He could step down without taking anything away from him.

Maybe none of that happens, but I'm maintaining that theory to help adjust my expectations and ease the frustration of what could be another waste of a season under Carlyle.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Could be that there is a plan for some restructuring this offseason to let Carlyle and Murray step into other positions and ease towards retirement ( I think this has already been said about Randy). So, this was viewed as a transition year with lowered expectations from the beginning, despite all of Murray's barking this summer. If, let's say, Eakins is the planned heir to the bench, I doubt they'd be quick to shakeup both teams at once with a midseason change, and the ultimate coach hiring decision would be left for the guy Murray hands his keys to (Madden?) anyhow.

Something like that would make more sense of Carlyle's return this year, any lack of major reaction by Murray to the team's poor play (injuries help shadow some of this), and perhaps why no big changes to the roster (leaving it for the next guy). It would also mean both Bob and Randy will have a longer leash this season than might be expected otherwise. For Murray, it would be the perfect way to progress. He could step down without taking anything away from him.

Maybe none of that happens, but I'm maintaining that theory to help adjust my expectations and ease the frustration of what could be another waste of a season under Carlyle.
Well the good news is, IF that is the organizations plan, the lowering of prices to attend games due to the lowering of expectations of the organization should make things more affordable!:sarcasm:
Transition year pricing....yeah!

I’m frustrated massively that the team, as good as they’ve been over the years, is seemingly going to have missed an opportunity with a damned good core of players, in part due to recycling a guy as a coach that was fired from his last two jobs for basically not getting it done......

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
I know some are for GMBM getting the can, but I feel we're probably a better-manned team with him than we might have been otherwise.

I don't particularly like the idea of him getting fired, but it's hard to argue against that when it was his idea to re-hire Carlyle and keep him throughout this process.

But IMO, I say however this season goes, Carlyle is likely in the office after this season and we might be in a better place, and I'd prefer Bob stays.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I like Bob. I just hate that he brought back Carlyle. That is his only MAJOR mistake.

Signing bottom pairing physical defensemen ever year was annoying, but really minor in the grand scheme when compared to other GMs who still have their jobs.

Losing Palmieri is the only other thing that really pisses me off, but I still don't consider that MAJOR.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Once Murray figures out you need some physical players + finally getting healthy this team will be alright. I expect at some point soon Jones gets recalled along with Tropp
Healthy Eaves and Kesler
The pathetic start was embarrassing getting psychically dominated every game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad