State of the Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
He has the 33rd highest cap hit for centers next year. Only 16 centers make more than a million over his salary, and only 14 other guys make over 5M. Yeah; there are a couple guys who are significantly better and waiting for a payday, but he’s certainly not paid like the low end 2C he is.

This is poor analysis. Looking at a list of top center contracts and AAV is irrelevant. Each of those contracts was signed under different circumstances (UFA/RFA/expiration of entry level deal). For example, if you ranked defenseman by contract AAV, where would Lindholm rank? His contract was signed as a RFA and BM drove a hard bargain. I guarantee you Lindholm's AAV ranking is well below where he would be ranked based on his performance.

The question is, what does a UFA 2c get? I think Rico's contract 5.825AAV is market for a UFA of his age and caliber. Perhaps a bit high (maybe $250,000 to $500,000), but not horrible given that it was only for 5 years. Under his current contract, he's making $5.5M (AAV is lower due to salary structure)

Here is a list of last year's UFA signings.

NHL Free Agency Tracker 2018: Every major free agent move, signing and best remaining players

Stastny, who is 5 years older, got a 6.5AAV (only three years).

Tyler Bozak signed for $5M AAV (!!) for 3 years.

JVR - 5 x $7M.

James Neal - 5 x $5.75M

Perron 4 x $4M

Bottom line. Teams pay more for UFA years. I think Rico would have received a very similar contract as a UFA.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If the Anaheim Schmucks are gonna be a S%#@ show the rest of the way then at least making it frickin Entertaining ! Hire Bryzgalov to take over for Hazy while Hazy is given an early vacation.
Give Manson & Ritchie the greenlight to drop the gloves with other teams goons for entertainment purposes during the Tank.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Worst goal differential in the entire league. It's frustrating that they aren't in the Hughes sweepstakes more than they are. They got really lucky early on

Oct 18, 2011
Where are all those "yeah but we're winning" people at. The statistics AND the eye test all pointed to this happening barring significant improvement..i just dont want anymore bandaid moves the long term health of the team has to be first

The Henrique contract makes no sense to me if you're not a contender, I'd like to see him moved before that partial NTC kicks in

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Where are all those "yeah but we're winning" people at. The statistics AND the eye test all pointed to this happening barring significant improvement..i just dont want anymore bandaid moves the long term health of the team has to be first

The Henrique contract makes no sense to me if you're not a contender, I'd like to see him moved before that partial NTC kicks in

I was less “it’s fine because we are winning” than “hopefully we can get healthy and figure out a system and play actually good before our luck catches up with them.”

Narrator voice: we did not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad