Speculation: Starting 2013-14 Roster (Want the Fan's eye view/hope/goal))

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Lol at Ron Hainsey. He is arguably winnipeg's worst dman right now. They absolutely hate him there and you guys are willing to make him the highest paid player on this team. He is the same as the other rejects we have on our point.

Yup no to Hainsey from me as well.
If there isn't anyone on the market we should just play some of our rookies and keep SOB/Zanon/Hunwick as healthy scratches.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Smid seems like a possible option.
EJ-?????
Elliot-Smid
Barrie-Hejda
Wilson
Either Smid or Wilson could pair with EJ and we'd be ahead of where we are now. Young guys will make mistakes, but with experienced guys next to them, I'd feel confident in putting them out there.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Agree, adding Elliot and Barrie as keepers.
I'd take a younger&cheaper 2C and pick/prospect at this point for Stastny, because unless this team completely makes a run next year, I think he'll walk to StL. He'll be taking a pay cut regardless, so I doubt it would be in Colorado.

I'm not sold on Barrie. I've been of this opinion since last season, that the Avs can only have one of them on the roster, and my hope is for Elliott. He may be a little less reliable in the defensive zone than Barrie but I think he is just so much better offensively than Barrie. I get that Barrie is still young but what Elliott showed me last season, I loved his flare and his ability to put pucks on net, something our defenseman clearly never learned in their life-time playing hockey and that includes Barrie.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The Avs should just try and punch their way to the Stanley Cup next season.

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-Stastny-Clarkson
Clowe-Bozak-Downie
McLeod-Gordon-Bordeleau

Smid-Johnson
Regher-Jones
Wilson-Barrie/Elliott

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
Nope, sorry, but you're wrong. Erik Johnson might have a good frame and be a good skater, but he is not our best defenseman. He's put up only 1 point so far through 11 games. NAME ONE other top defenseman in the league with production like that. yeah. that's what I thought. A number one dman should at least be able to advance the puck to his forwards... Wilson is a better hitter, and a better passer. He has easily been our best defenseman so far this year. no contest. Open your eyes and see beyond the "amazing tools" brand that everyone gives johnson. Stop cutting him so much slack. 1 point is not cutting it. It is just not good enough. Johnson's a second pairing dman on any good team. I don't care where he was drafted. I care about what I see on the ice every night. Wake up people.

Clearly you don't watch much hockey in Tibet...:sarcasm:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The Avs should just try and punch their way to the Stanley Cup next season.

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-Stastny-Clarkson
Clowe-Bozak-Downie
McLeod-Gordon-Bordeleau

Smid-Johnson
Regher-Jones
Wilson-Barrie/Elliott

I like that except Smid would be my #3, and I don't think Clowe will leave SJ to play on our third line.

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - Stastny - MacKinnon (Draft Mack, Hes right handed so convert him to RW. Also the type of pure goal scorer Stastny needs)
Morrow - Bozak - Downie (Morrow is mean, Hes a vet and hes getting older but he can still goals sometimes. Helluva energy/3rd line...)
McLeod - Mitchell - Koby/Bordy

Yandle - EJ (O'Reilly for Yandle)
Smid - Wilson
Hejda - SOB/Hunwick/Barrie

Get the ******* rid of Jones & Zannon, oh and Sacco ASAP!!

avsfan84

Feb 17, 2013
Lineup
Landeskog Duchene Parenteu
Mginn stastny jones
Mcleod Mitchel Downie
Bordeleau Oliver kobasew

Johnson-Yandle
Barrie-Hejda
Elliot-Wilson*
Hunwick-SOB-Obyrne-Zanon scratched or traded away
trade Oreilly for Yandle*

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Landeskog-Duchene-Parenteau
McGinn-O'Reilly-Downie
FA or Olver-Sgarbossa-Jones or high draft pick fwd
FA or Olver-Mitchell-McLeod

trade for Dman-Johnson
Barrie-FA dman
Siemens/Elliott/Gaunce-Wilson

Trade Stastny and/or D Jones for a top 4 dman. Re-sign ROR with that $. 4th line isn't the biggest deal. Sgarbossa needs to be 3C. And I think we'll end up with a high pick but not #1. Ideal would be #2 if we can draft MacKinnon and put him in our top 9. Maybe top 6 depending on how much/little offense Downie or McGinn are producing. I think this is realistic. Of course the return for Stastny won't be as high now as it might have been before but I still think it's good enough for a top 4 dman and you draft a winger who can make an impact right away.

I don't want them to draft a dman who won't develop for another 2-4 years and whose development they might potentially screw up. I'd rather trade for him.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
MY New Possible Hope for 2013-2014 (Lines are in no particular order)

Gabriel Landeskog ($3.575m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / David Jones ($4.000m)
Jamie McGinn ($1.750m) / Matt Duchene ($3.500m) / P-A Parenteau ($4.000m)
****1*****/ Ryan O'Reilly ($5.000m) / Steve Downie ($2.650m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / John Mitchell ($1.100m) / Aaron Palushaj ($0.700m)
Patrick Bordeleau ($0.600m) /Mark Olver ($0.600m)

Erik Johnson ($3.750m) / Ladislav Smid ($3.500m)
Tyson Barrie ($0.900m) / Jan Hejda ($3.250m)
Shane O'Brien ($2.000m) / Ryan Wilson ($2.250m)
****2*****

Semyon Varlamov ($2.833m)
Jean-Sebastien Giguere ($1.500m)

< 15.00m left in cap room
***1***= Draft pick, FA signing, or Sgarbossa
***2***= FA, Draft, or rotation of Elliot, Gaunce, Pock?
Trade Zanon at draft/deadline
Trade Hunwick or keep as #6/7 Dman
Duke retires

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
My new realistic hope:

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Downie
UFA (a Clowe sort)-Bozak-Jones
McLeod-Mitchell-Bordy/Kobasew

Stastny Trade (a top 4 guy as a top 2 is unattainble for Stastny)-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Elliott
SOB

Varly
JSG

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't see Bozak leaving the Leafs playing as the first line center to come and play as the 3rd line. This isn't my idealistic lineup, this is what i'm guessing though

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Downie
FA/Staz Deal/Sgar-Gomez-Jones
McLeod-Mitchell-Bordy/Kobasew

Staz trade/Scud - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - SOB
Zanon

Elliot still needs seasoning in the AHL, he hasn't looked bad, he hasn't looked amazing either. He'll also be reunited with Siemens there and we'll have a good look to see how they play together at the next level.

With Duke gone we need some veteran presence, and I think we'd go after someone like Gomez. If Scud is after money, I can see us giving him a 5mil/2 yr deal. Gives EJ a partner and adds the veteran presence, and then we don't need Gomez. I'd be willing to overpay on Scuderi if it's a short term deal.

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
#1 - Ryan O'Byrne, Chuck Kobasew, and Greg Zanon are traded at the trade deadline.

#2 - Milan Hejduk retires.

#3 - Paul Stastny is traded on draft day (will not include return in below team).

#4 - Seth Jones drafted #1 overall by the Colorado Avalanche.

#5 - Patrick Bordeleau is re-signed (UFA).

#6 - From the pro roster, Aaron Palushaj is not tendered a qualifying offer. From the minor team, we qualify Brad Malone. Gaunce and Connolly are probably left to walk and not tendered QOs.

#7 - Tyler Bozak and Rob Scuderi are signed as UFAs.

#8 - Matt Hunwick is put on waivers and either claimed or sent down.

--

Team (cap hits):

McGinn ($1.75m) - Duchene ($3.5m) - Parenteau ($4m)
Landeskog ($3.575m) - O'Reilly ($5m) - Downie ($2.65m)
Mitchell ($1.1m) - Bozak ($4m) - Jones ($4m)
McLeod ($1.15m) - Malone ($0.9m) - Bordeleau ($0.6m)
Olver ($0.65m)

Extras: Sgarbossa($0.525m), Hishon($1.2m), Heard($0.925m), Carey($0.875m)

Scuderi ($4.25m) - Johnson ($3.75m)
Hejda ($3.25m) - Jones ($3.775m)
Wilson ($2.25m) - Barrie ($0.9m)
O'Brien ($2m)

Extras: Elliott($0.9m), Siemens($1.42m)

Varlamov ($2.83m)
Giguere ($1.5m)

Extras: Pickard($0.87m), Aittokallio($0.9m)

--

Of course lines and pairings can be shuffled around. I know Jones will need time, but that pairing could also be the 3rd pairing. I just like the idea of Hejda being next to him. I'd imagine O'Brien would still be a regular with Wilson either injured or Barrie as a scratch or in the minors, but I prefer both players over SOB.

Bozak/Scuderi seem like safe targets, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see us take a look at Clarke MacArthur as a 3rd line wing option.

Anyways, just my thoughts. Don't see us moving Jones or biting the bullet to pay him out.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I don't like the idea of moving Staz then paying Bozak 4mil. If we don't get a good return for him then at least let him play under a new coach before we sell him cheap.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Oops, and the pro team salary above is $57.38m, so just over $6.5m left in cap space.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I don't like the idea of moving Staz then paying Bozak 4mil. If we don't get a good return for him then at least let him play under a new coach before we sell him cheap.

I understand that train of thought, but for me, Stastny is finished as an Av, regardless of a new coach. Bozak, on the other hand, is having his best season and coming into his own. I only see Stastny's production and value continuing to plummet and then he'll walk as a UFA next summer.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I agree about MacArthur. I have a feeling we will make a run at him. Something around a 4 year 3-4m per deal. He could really round out the offense if Stastny is retained or if Sgarbossa is made the #3C. With Stastny still around that could be one of the better forward groups in our division. There could easily be 5-7 20g scorers in that group.

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Downie
MacArthur-Stastny/Sgarbossa-Jones
McLeod-Mitchell-Bordy/Olver

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I understand that train of thought, but for me, Stastny is finished as an Av, regardless of a new coach. Bozak, on the other hand, is having his best season and coming into his own. I only see Stastny's production and value continuing to plummet and then he'll walk as a UFA next summer.

See, I don't agree. He was having a strong offensive burst with Landeskog on his line and his defensive game is as good as ever. If we can get a steady winger on his line with finish, I think he will still put up solid numbers.

Meanwhile Bozak is not going to carry a third line, he might provide the same defensive game Staz does, but offensively he doesn't bring anything more and would be at a bigger disadvantage than Staz. Overpaying Bozak would be a big mistake imo.

Rather keep Staz, let him play in a new system, trade him for a ransom at the deadline when teams need support in a low cap environment and can afford him in the summer to re-sign. Otherwise, keep him.

Our most tenured Av after Staz is Jones or McLeod...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I honestly don't see Bozak coming here. He will get overpaid by somebody to be a #2C somewhere. Even with Stastny gone, he would be no better than a #3C here. He is simply playing to well to accept a lower role.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
I honestly don't see Bozak coming here. He will get overpaid by somebody to be a #2C somewhere. Even with Stastny gone, he would be no better than a #3C here. He is simply playing to well to accept a lower role.

I agree.

I don't see why Bozak would sign here knowing that he would be the 3C. With the season he is having he will want close to top line minutes and money.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
????? - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - Stastny - Jones
McGinn - O'Reilly - Downie
McLeod - Mitchell - Bordeleau
Olver/Palushaj
(Kobasew leaves (i kinda like him though, this year) and the Duke retires)

???? - E.Johnson
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - Elliott

Varlamov
Giguere

I'd love to add a guy like Smid, but I doubt we get a pop at him.
The other questionmark should be a 2-way guy for Dutchy. Filppula? Isn't he the kind of player that would make sense? Idk who else is available on left wing.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
????? - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - Stastny - Jones
McGinn - O'Reilly - Downie
McLeod - Mitchell - Bordeleau
Olver/Palushaj
(Kobasew leaves (i kinda like him though, this year) and the Duke retires)

???? - E.Johnson
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - Elliott

Varlamov
Giguere

I'd love to add a guy like Smid, but I doubt we get a pop at him.
The other questionmark should be a 2-way guy for Dutchy. Filppula? Isn't he the kind of player that would make sense? Idk who else is available on left wing.

I feel like the Parenteau-Duchene pairing is getting a lot of benefit from having a fast forechecker like McGinn. If we get a chance to get an upgraded version of McGinn (not sure who that is), I think that would be prime.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
New coach and blow up the defense. The latter task of which will be difficult due to six defensemen signed to one-way contracts that extend through the start of next season.

More specifically, two top-four defensemen excluding potential draftee Seth Jones.

I think the forward group should remain largely unchanged. Matt Duchene, Ryan O'Reilly, PA Parenteau, and Gabriel Landeskog is a young core any team in the league would love to have. Steve Downie is injured but not forgotten; he's an excellent young player.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I feel like the Parenteau-Duchene pairing is getting a lot of benefit from having a fast forechecker like McGinn. If we get a chance to get an upgraded version of McGinn (not sure who that is), I think that would be prime.

Upgraded version of McGinn, does that spell Landeskog? In my book it does. I do want him with O'Reilly though. They both grow when playing with each other. I really dont want Landeskog playing with Stastny anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad