Speculation: Starting 2013-14 Roster (Want the Fan's eye view/hope/goal))

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
My wish

- Trade SOB at the deadline this year for a 2nd/3rd
- Draft Nichushkin
- Re-sign Bordeleau
- Sign Bozak, Adam Hall and Ian White via UFA
- Trade O'Reilly, Barrie and the SOB pick for Yandle

Jamie McGinn ($1.750m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / David Jones ($4.000m)
Gabriel Landeskog ($3.575m) / Matt Duchene ($3.500m) / P-A Parenteau ($4.000m)
Valeri Nichushkin ($0.950m) / Tyler Bozak ($2.500m) / Steve Downie ($2.650m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / John Mitchell ($1.100m) / Patrick Bordeleau ($0.550m)
Mark Olver ($0.600m) / Adam Hall ($0.750m) /

Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)
Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / Greg Zanon ($2.250m)
Ryan Wilson ($2.250m) / Ian White ($3.000m)
Matt Hunwick ($1.600m) /

Semyon Varlamov ($2.833m)
Jean-Sebastien Giguere ($1.500m)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,648,333; BONUSES: $2,650,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $10,301,667

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
My wish

- Trade SOB at the deadline this year for a 2nd/3rd
- Draft Nichushkin
- Re-sign Bordeleau
- Sign Bozak, Adam Hall and Ian White via UFA
- Trade O'Reilly, Barrie and the SOB pick for Yandle

Jamie McGinn ($1.750m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / David Jones ($4.000m)
Gabriel Landeskog ($3.575m) / Matt Duchene ($3.500m) / P-A Parenteau ($4.000m)
Valeri Nichushkin ($0.950m) / Tyler Bozak ($2.500m) / Steve Downie ($2.650m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / John Mitchell ($1.100m) / Patrick Bordeleau ($0.550m)
Mark Olver ($0.600m) / Adam Hall ($0.750m) /

Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)
Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / Greg Zanon ($2.250m)
Ryan Wilson ($2.250m) / Ian White ($3.000m)
Matt Hunwick ($1.600m) /

Semyon Varlamov ($2.833m)
Jean-Sebastien Giguere ($1.500m)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,648,333; BONUSES: $2,650,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $10,301,667

Love the Ian White idea but GTFO Zannon & Jones... lol (Really think Nichushkin will make the NHL next year? I'd rather sign someone for that spot tbh)

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
What I want and what is likely to happen are two totally different things. So I'm going to go with what is more likely to happen.

-Buyout Jones, if he continues the way he has he can say adios to his new 4M per contract. Also buyout either Zanon (can't see this happening) or SOB (more likely).

-Hejduk retires

-Trade O'Reilly and higher prospect (Sgarbossa, Elliott, Barrie etc) for Yandle. It seems like a fit for both teams, Phoenix is looking for a center/offensive help and we are looking for a high end PMD

-Draft in the 4-7 range, this will be dependent on who gets healthy and how quickly. If Landeskog misses more than a month we will see a top 5 pick, if he gets back soon and by some off chance O'Reilly signs I think a pick in the 10-13 range is more likely. I'd draft either Barkov, Lindholm, Drouin, Monahan, Nichushkin. Jones won't be available at 3 or later.

-UFAs Bozak, Brunner (I'd make a hard play for him, he'd look solid next to Stastny), I'd also like to see PMD UFA but I don't see that one happening we seem to be in love with O'Bryne and Hunwick even though they kind of suck.

roster looks like this then:

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-Stastny-Brunner
Downie-Bozak-Barkov or Drouin (those are the ones I hoping for in the draft)
McCleod-Mitchell-whoever (Bordy, Olver etc.)

EJ-Yandle
Hejda-Barrie
Zanon-Wilson
Hunwick-O'Byrne

Varly
Giggy

This would be a gigantic upgrade to this years roster. This team would be capable of making the playoffs and maybe even winning a round in the playoffs. And with the growth of players hopefully would be able to get better as time went on.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I won't comment on firing Sherman/Sacco, just on roster moves.

#1: Since he's not being re-signed, trade Ryan O'Byrne at the trade deadline for picks/prospects. Also move Chuck Kobasew(impending UFA) and Shane O'Brien(presumably Sherman already regrets this re-signing) for whatever you can get.

#2: The Duke hangs up the skates.

#3: At the draft or at the end of the season, I agree with those above; move Stastny and one of Sgarbossa/Barrie/Elliott for Yandle(just a name to throw out there).

#4: Whoever we draft, just let them develop.

#5: Re-sign Ryan O'Reilly to a long-term contract.

#6: In free agency, sign Ryan Clowe and Chad LaRose.

#7: C - Landeskog. As - Johnson, Duchene(Home), O'Reilly(Away)

--

Landeskog - Duchene - Parenteau
McGinn - O'Reilly - Downie
Clowe - Mitchell - Jones
McLeod - Olver/Malone - LaRose

Yandle - Johnson
Hejda - Wilson
Zanon - Barrie/Elliott
Hunwick

Varlamov
Giguere

Last edited:

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
I got 3 versions:

1:
mcginn - duchene - pap
landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
olver - mitchell - jones
highlander - malone - bord

Yandle - EJ
wilson - Barrie
Zanon - Hejda

Varly
Giggy

2:

mcginn - Duchene - PAP
landeskog - Stastny - Semin/Ryan/Perry
Jones - Sgarbossa - Downie
Olver - Mitchell - McCleod

Kulikov - EJ
+ rest

or

3rd:

Same lineup with Barkov/seth jones/Mackinnon/Drouin in it; with Elliot, Barrie, Siemens/Gaunce finally cracking the main roster full time.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What I want and what is likely to happen are two totally different things. So I'm going to go with what is more likely to happen.

-Buyout Jones, if he continues the way he has he can say adios to his new 4M per contract. Also buyout either Zanon (can't see this happening) or SOB (more likely).

-Hejduk retires

-Trade O'Reilly and higher prospect (Sgarbossa, Elliott, Barrie etc) for Yandle. It seems like a fit for both teams, Phoenix is looking for a center/offensive help and we are looking for a high end PMD

-Draft in the 4-7 range, this will be dependent on who gets healthy and how quickly. If Landeskog misses more than a month we will see a top 5 pick, if he gets back soon and by some off chance O'Reilly signs I think a pick in the 10-13 range is more likely. I'd draft either Barkov, Lindholm, Drouin, Monahan, Nichushkin. Jones won't be available at 3 or later.

-UFAs Bozak, Brunner (I'd make a hard play for him, he'd look solid next to Stastny), I'd also like to see PMD UFA but I don't see that one happening we seem to be in love with O'Bryne and Hunwick even though they kind of suck.

roster looks like this then:

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-Stastny-Brunner
Downie-Bozak-Barkov or Drouin (those are the ones I hoping for in the draft)
McCleod-Mitchell-whoever (Bordy, Olver etc.)

EJ-Yandle
Hejda-Barrie
Zanon-Wilson
Hunwick-O'Byrne

Varly
Giggy

This would be a gigantic upgrade to this years roster. This team would be capable of making the playoffs and maybe even winning a round in the playoffs. And with the growth of players hopefully would be able to get better as time went on.

Brunner is getting serious ice time with Detroit and was brought over to play with Zetterberg, I doubt he leaves Detroit. With O'Reilly being the one traded I wouldn't add that much, a second round pick or Olver, something of that nature.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The team has needs everywhere except goaltender and center, but if they draft a center it's no biggie, you can always move one guy to wing. Look at Boston's lineup. Their entire freakin' forward corps is centers, and somehow it works.

And the team already did the "address our needs draft" in 2011, when they went all size queen on us and drafted a bunch of big, gritty guys...the exception being Joachim Nermark. It's never a good idea to not draft BPA because it increases the likelihood that you'll reach for a player instead of getting the best one you can.

It works because

A) Their coach is Claude Julien

B) Rich Peverley and Gregory Campbell have both played wing their entire career's along with playing centre, it isn't anything new to the two of them

The only player who is actually a game changer playing the Wing who's actually a centre is Tyler Seguin, and it took him a hell of a long time to adjust but their team is so deep that they didn't have to rely on him.

I just don't see how it isn't a good deal for the Avs, yes a top 5 pick is probably going to be a great player but Jake Gardiner and Dion Phaneuf could definietely shore up our top 4 and Nikolai Kulemin could be a real solid top 9 player

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Eh I don't see Phoenix moving him but since everyone is using him as an example I'll go with Yandle too.

1) They don't need any more D prospects so lets say Stastny + Sgarbossa (+ more?) for Yandle
2) Draft Barkov with 3rd or 4th overall
3) Sign Ryan O'reilly to a 5 year deal (4-4.25 per)
4) Sign Chris Higgins to a 2 year deal
5) Sign Eric Nystrom to a 2 year deal
6) Hejduk Retires, Trade SOB, ROB, Kobasew for anything
7) Offer Ladislav Smid a 6 year deal (he'll probably re-sign in Edm)

Mcginn - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - O'reilly - Downie
Higgins - Barkov - Jones
Mcleod - Mitchell - Nystrom
Olver

Yandle - Johnson
Smid - Elliott/Barrie
Hejda - Wilson
Hunwick

Varly
Giguere

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I got 3 versions:

1:
mcginn - duchene - pap
landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
olver - mitchell - jones
highlander - malone - bord

Yandle - EJ
wilson - Barrie
Zanon - Hejda

Varly
Giggy

2:

mcginn - Duchene - PAP
landeskog - Stastny - Semin/Ryan/Perry
Jones - Sgarbossa - Downie
Olver - Mitchell - McCleod

Kulikov - EJ
+ rest

or

3rd:

Same lineup with Barkov/seth jones/Mackinnon/Drouin in it; with Elliot, Barrie, Siemens/Gaunce finally cracking the main roster full time.

Just curious, how do you get Ryan if you trade O'Reilly for Kulikov?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Brunner is getting serious ice time with Detroit and was brought over to play with Zetterberg, I doubt he leaves Detroit. With O'Reilly being the one traded I wouldn't add that much, a second round pick or Olver, something of that nature.

Yeah I know, but you never know. Money talks. Say Detroit is only willing to go 3.5M per and the Avs were offering 4.25M per, then he might think about it.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
New coach and blow up the defense. The latter task of which will be difficult due to six defensemen signed to one-way contracts that extend through the start of next season.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Drouin-Duchene-Parenteau
Landeskog-Stastny-Perry
McGinn-Goc-Downie
McLeod-Mitchell-Kobasew

Kulikov-Johnson
Hejda-Barrie
Gaunce-Wilson

Varlamov
Giguere

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If we got Drouin, I'd seriously put him with Stastny and Landeskog, not Duchene. But I'd probably also leave him in juniors for a year to continue bulking up. He's supremely talented, but a year without MacK for him to learn to overcome and spending a year bulking up would help him immensely.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Really coach

McPing-Dutchy-PAP
Landy-Stastny-Jones
Sgar-ROR-Downie
Bordy-Mitchell-Olver

real defensemen - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - Hunwick/Zanon

Varly

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
If we got Drouin, I'd seriously put him with Stastny and Landeskog, not Duchene. But I'd probably also leave him in juniors for a year to continue bulking up. He's supremely talented, but a year without MacK for him to learn to overcome and spending a year bulking up would help him immensely.

I think Drouin and Duch would compliment each other perfectly. I do however agree he should be given an other year in junior, much like Huberdeau.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
Just curious, how do you get Ryan if you trade O'Reilly for Kulikov?

Maybe offer up a futures package:

Cam Gaunce
Colin Smith
Calvin Pickard
2nd Round Pick
+

If it took Barrie or Elliot to land Ryan in place of Gaunce I'd do it too. It's a good future's core package I think. Tough to give up if they all play to potential but Colorado's core would be set with a guy like Ryan.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

Cam Gaunce
Colin Smith
Calvin Pickard
2nd Round Pick
+

If it took Barrie or Elliot to land Ryan in place of Gaunce I'd do it too. It's a good future's core package I think. Tough to give up if they all play to potential but Colorado's core would be set with a guy like Ryan.

That's much worse even than the proposals Leafs fans make for our centers.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Cam Gaunce
Colin Smith
Calvin Pickard
2nd Round Pick
+

Would you take that package for O'Reilly? I doubt it... We all get tired of packages for our core players when we need a core player back in a different position. People do it all day long on the main board and wonder why Avs fans and Ducks fan and any fan of any team with a good player who is potentially available get upset.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

That's what i said in the Jones Thread . I agree with you LW , i doubt it will happend , but i wish that who ever they'll draft stays in Junior for an extra year . I know it's wishful thinking because when NHL teams have a high draft, pick that player is playing on their team pretty much the next year . But still i would like to Avs to take their time with their next prospect.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Love the Ian White idea but GTFO Zannon & Jones... lol (Really think Nichushkin will make the NHL next year? I'd rather sign someone for that spot tbh)

- I like Ian White to replace O'Byrne. Get some mobility back there. Right hand shot.

- Zanon's only played 10 games for us. He's 23rd in the league in blocked shots (Hejda 12 EJ 16). He's 32 y/o and didn't do anything during the lock-out. Only has 1 year left on his contract. If he does get moved, it won't be till next year's trade deadline at the earliest.

- Management will give Jones time to prove his worth. If he continues the play the way he does, he'll be a compliant buy-out next summer.

- Nichushkin is 6'4, 200 lbs. I think he plays next year in the NHL. And I love his drive to the net mentality, big and strong on the puck, even though he sucked at WJC this year.

Avs already have 19 players signed to next season. Plus, this summer's free-agent class is very lackluster. The only great young players on the market are: G Backstrom, M. Smith, Horton, Perry, Getzlaf, Semin, Clowe.

Next summer will be a turning point for the Avs. The cap is in place, they'll have lots of cap space (Stastny UFA). Next summer UFAs: Lundqvist, Miller, Kiprusoff, Hiller, Halak, Girardi, Letang, Hjalmarsson, Phaneuf, Boumeester, Gaborik, Kessel, Heatley, Vanek, Marleau, Datsyuk, Sedins, Cammalleri, Malkin, Thornton, Bergeron, Pavelski, Bolland

If they don't spend in the summer of 2014, the fan base will be fully on rage quit.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Next summer will be a turning point for the Avs. The cap is in place, they'll have lots of cap space (Stastny UFA). Next summer UFAs: Lundqvist, Miller, Kiprusoff, Hiller, Halak, Girardi, Letang, Hjalmarsson, Phaneuf, Boumeester, Gaborik, Kessel, Heatley, Vanek, Marleau, Datsyuk, Sedins, Cammalleri, Malkin, Thornton, Bergeron, Pavelski, Bolland

If they don't spend in the summer of 2014, the fan base will be fully on rage quit.

There's finally a ray of light at the end of the tunnel.....We can sign the Sedin sisters in 2014!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad