Speculation: Starting 2013-14 Roster (Want the Fan's eye view/hope/goal))

Heebs21*

**With the 3rd overall we select LW- Jonathan Drouin
**Trade Ryan O'Reilly, Joey Hischon, Stephane Elliot and Tyson Barrie for Keith Yandle and Martin Hanzal
**Cut Zanon, Hedja and O'Brien--No one is giving us picks for them. They are flat out BRUTAL
**Sign D- Anton Babchuck and D- Ian White

Jonathan Drouin - Matt Duchene - PA Parenteau
Jamie Mcginn - Paul Stastny - Gabe Landeskog
Steve Downie - Martin Hanzal - David Jones
Michael Scarbossa - John Mitchell - Patrick Bordeleau

Reserves- Cody McLeod - Marc Olver

Erik Johnson - Keith Yandle
Anton Babchuck - Ryan Wilson
Ian White - Matt Hunwick

Reserves - Cameron Guance

Semyone Varlamov
JS Giguere

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
**Trade Ryan O'Reilly, Joey Hischon, Stephane Elliot and Tyson Barrie for Keith Yandle and Martin Hanzal
**Cut Zanon, Hedja and O'Brien--No one is giving us picks for them. They are flat out BRUTAL

Jonathan Drouin - Matt Duchene - PA Parenteau
Jamie Mcginn - Paul Stastny - Gabe Landeskog
Steve Downie - Martin Hanzal - David Jones
Michael Scarbossa - John Mitchell - Patrick Bordeleau

Reserves- Cody McLeod - Marc Olver

Erik Johnson - Keith Yandle
Anton Babchuck - Ryan Wilson
Ian White - Matt Hunwick

Reserves - Cameron Guance

Semyone Varlamov
JS Giguere

You'd trade both Elliott (btw it's Stefan not Stephane) and Barrie in the same deal? That's not realistic at all. Hishon has almost no value right now and the Yotes would never do that since Hanzal is probably their most valuable player, FTR most valuable doesn't mean most talented or the best.

Then you'd cut Hejda, Zanon and SOB and replace him with other teams crappy players like Babchuck and White? Btw Hejda's a lot better than those two.

And for the love of God don't butcher the names of our players.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

I personally like what I've read about LW-Valeri Nichushkin more than Drouin.

Replace Gaunce for Elliot, Olver for Hishon, and probably add A pick/ Goalie prospect/ or worst case Malone, and Maybe this could happen for both Yandle and Hanza

Keep Hejda
Trade David Jones at the deadline to SJS For Demers or Braun

Fire Sacco
Get Healthy

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
With Stastny (most likely the case ATM):
*Swap ROR for a top pairing potential young defensemen (Kulikov in this example)
*4-7 pick select Drouin/Barkov/Lindholm
*Sing Perry to a 8 year 7m deal
*Start Elliott in the NHL
*Trade SOB and ROB for a picks
*Sign Douglas Murray (or comparable lower end middle paring defender, Murray is just a name thrown out there - keeps the price down for when Siemens or Elliott are ready) to a 4 year 3.5-4m deal

McGinn (1.75)-Duchene (3.5)-PAP (4)
Landeskog (3.575)-Stastny (6.6)-Perry (7)
Drouin (3.6)-Sgarbossa (0.540)-Jones (4)
McLeod (1.15)-Mitchell (1.1)-Olver (0.600)
Bordeleau (0.600)

Kulikov (2.5)-EJ (3.75)
Hejda (3.25)-Murray (4)
Wilson (2.25)-Elliott (0.900)
Zanon (2.25)
Hunwick (1.6)

Varly (2.833m)
JSG (1.5)

Cap hit ~63m

With ROR:
*Sign ROR to a 5 year 20m deal (doubtful, but this is my wish)
*Swap Stastny for a top 4 defensemen with potential
*4-7 pick select Drouin/Barkov/Lindholm
*Sing Perry to a 8 year 7m deal
*Start Elliott in the NHL
*Trade SOB and ROB for a picks
*Sign Douglas Murray (or comparable) to a 4 year 3.5-4m deal

McGinn (1.75)-Duchene (3.5)-PAP (4)
Landeskog (3.575)-ROR (4)-Perry (7)
Drouin (3.6)-Sgarbossa (0.540)-Jones (4)
McLeod (1.15)-Mitchell (1.1)-Olver (0.600)
Bordeleau (0.600)

Top 4 (4m) -EJ (3.75)
Hejda (3.25)-Murray (4)
Wilson (2.25)-Elliott (0.900)
Zanon (2.25)
Hunwick (1.6)

Varly (2.833m)
JSG (1.5)

Cap hit ~62m

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
One really good thing we have going for us in the long run is that Duchene is such a huge Avs fan. I don't think we'll ever really have to worry about him pulling a ROR and demanding more or wanting to leave or anything.

The fact that he took such a small nice contract right now tells me that if he turns into a superstar 80+ point guy for us, I still think we'd be able to get him long term for no more then 6M. He wants to play for us and seems willing to take less money to play for the team he loves.

Great player to have, cant believe I was once in the boat of wanting to move him. Shame on me.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
My opinion is we'll probably end up drafting one or two. In my point of view, that will be the highlight of the season. It would be a much greater risk than Jones, but I think Mackinnon would be good (after discussing with jarvis).

We then trade Paul Stastny (yes, I said that even though he's my favorite player) for a Bobby Ryan type of player.

We trade Ryan O'Reilly and maybe a defensive prospect for Jay Bouwmeester.

We acquire a free agent like Semin for whatever he wants really.

Siemens gets a start in the team. As does Malone

The below team only works if we land Mackinnon

Gabriel Landeskog (3.6) - Matt Duchene (3.5) - P A Parenteau (4)
Bobby Ryan (5.1) - Nathan MacKinnon (3.25) - Alexander Semin (7)
Jamie Mcginn (1.75) - Michael Sgarbossa (.525) - David Jones (4)
Brad Malone (.525) - John Mitchell (1.1) - Steve Downie (2.65)

Jay Bouwmeester (6.68) - Erik Johnson (3.75)
Ryan Wilson (2.25) - Duncan Siemens (1.5)
Stefan Elliott (.800) - Jan Hejda (3.25)

Semyon Varlamov (2.8)
J S Giguere (1.25)

Cap Hit: 58.270
Rest for scraps.

and we are competing again.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Oh, apologies, I'd also hire someone to assist me as a club trying to re-connect with you guys, and attempt to get some enthusiam, energy, and passion back surrounding this great club of ours.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah, there's no way the ducks trade Ryan straight up for Stastny for a few reasons, the have perry and getzlaf as ufa's, they'd be adding more salary (theyre a budget team) and Ryan is better than Stastny.

No Thx to semin again this offseason, not a player you win with.

Also ROR for jaybo is absurd for the avs.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yeah, there's no way the ducks trade Ryan straight up for Stastny for a few reasons, the have perry and getzlaf as ufa's, they'd be adding more salary (theyre a budget team) and Ryan is better than Stastny.

No Thx to semin again this offseason, not a player you win with.

Also ROR for jaybo is absurd for the avs.

Have you actually watched Semin this year? No idea how you say that.

He's a great two way player, constantly back checks and theres been multiple times he was the first forward backchecking to stop 2 on 1s from happening. He's been giving an opportunity to succeed with the Canes and he's playing well.

I wouldn't sign him because it's going to be an insane contract, but he's a very good player. Washington he was undervalued and it hurt his confidence.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Semin always had a good 2 way game when he cared. I've always been a fan of the guys game, he's really fun to watch when he's on but that rarely happens. I can't speak about Semin's effort level this year, I haven't watch him play much but remember he's on another contract year and its still early.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I feel the same way about Semin as I did last year. Unless he was the one piece we need to win the cup, he will command more (even from the KHL) than I would want to pay.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm bored enough to actually try one of these, which I'm sure people will pick apart.

1) O'Byrne dealt at the trade deadline for a 2nd round pick.

2) Hejduk retires

3) Ryan O'Reilly traded for Michael Del Zotto.

4) Shane O'Brien bought out.

5) Avs finish with 2nd overall pick, draft Nathan MacKinnon.

6) Sign D Ladislav Smid to 4 year, 15M deal.

7) Sgarbossa makes the team, plays on Stastny's wing.

8) Sacco fired, new coach brought in but I haven't thought enough about who I'd prefer.

FORWARDS
Gabriel Landeskog ($3.575m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / Michael Sgarbossa ($0.540m)
Jamie McGinn ($1.750m) / Matt Duchene ($3.500m) / P-A Parenteau ($4.000m)
David Jones ($4.000m) / Nathan MacKinnon ($3.250m) / Steve Downie ($2.650m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / John Mitchell ($1.100m) / Mark Olver ($0.600m)
Brad Malone ($0.748m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ladislav Smid ($3.750m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)
Jan Hejda ($3.250m)/ Michael Del Zotto ($2.550m)
Ryan Wilson ($2.250m) / Tyson Barrie ($0.900m)
Matt Hunwick ($1.600m) / Greg Zanon ($2.250m)
GOALTENDERS
Semyon Varlamov ($2.833m)
Jean-Sebastien Giguere ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Shane O'Brien ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,386,458; BONUSES: $2,710,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $11,623,542

Obviously I'm looking to re-tool the defense.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Yikes the horrible trade ideas are flying in here.

ROR and a top 5 pick for Phaneuf, Gards and Kulemin is beyond horrible dahg. Phaneuf has a bloated contract and is not playing well. He would be Stastny 2.0 but way worse.
Gardiner is in the AHL and I feel that he will always have major questionmarks on the defensive side of the game. And Kulemin is better than last year but his 30 goal season was an absolute fluke and he will be off to Pittsburgh the first chance he gets.

Trading a Top5 pick is not an option. You say we have filled these holes with EJ and our Centers. Guess what? McKinnon and Jones are way better than what we have. Rather see them develop and then move one of our Centers.

X- Jones/Johnson
Siemens - Jones/Johnson
X - Barrie/Elliott

is as solid as we can hope for.
Phaneuf - EJ
Gardiner- X(ROB? SOB? even Hejda (LD)?)
Siemens - Barrie/ Elliott

is further along but way too much money committed to a mediocre defense.
WIth Jones and Johnson you have 2 #1 defenseman.

And if we can get MacKinnon, we will have Sakic / Forsberg all over again with him and Duchene.

So please don't do the Leafs any favors and leave our pick alone.

Oh and whoever: Don't get me started on Bouwmeester? Seriously?
He is the last thing we should trade for in our situation. Guy has never made the playoffs in his career and basically sucks for what he is paid. I am certainly not trading ROR for him...

My plan:

-Fire Sacco and the whole FO.

-Solve the ROR mess. If it means trading him than go for a first pairing dman.

-Pick BPA. (Hopefully one of MacKinnon, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan or even Nichushkin)

-Ask Hejduk gently if he really wants to play another year.

-Get rid of our 214124123213 depth dmen and see how far along Siemens, Barrie or Elliott are. Keep them if it is not hurting their development. If they will make mistakes, they make mistakes. Don't care. We are not contending for a cup anyways.

-Trade Jones for whatever you can get

-Convince Kroenke that he needs to pretend that he cares about the Avs and look at a 4 yr x 25 M deal for Semin. He is the goalscorer we are missing. If he wants more or has no interest in signing with us , it is no biggie. As already said we are not contending but a guy with Semins talent does not often hit the market and usually generates a much higher interest so at least take a shot at it.

-Reevaluate our medical staff.

-Reevaluate the Stastny situation and trade him if necessary (if there are indications of him walking)

-Look around if you can find a gem in the FA market (preferably a dman)

-Play a more enjoyable style of hockey

Last edited:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
FORWARDS
Gabriel Landeskog ($3.575m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / Michael Sgarbossa ($0.540m)
Brad Malone ($0.748m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
OTHER
------

I like this one. Same concept I think is the most viable solution to improve things this offseason (center for dman, sign smid, draft a center). Smid will get a much bigger contract though. Probably along the lines of Volchenkov's deal.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'm bored enough to actually try one of these, which I'm sure people will pick apart.

1) O'Byrne dealt at the trade deadline for a 2nd round pick.

2) Hejduk retires

3) Ryan O'Reilly traded for Michael Del Zotto.

4) Shane O'Brien bought out.

5) Avs finish with 2nd overall pick, draft Nathan MacKinnon.

6) Sign D Ladislav Smid to 4 year, 15M deal.

7) Sgarbossa makes the team, plays on Stastny's wing.

8) Sacco fired, new coach brought in but I haven't thought enough about who I'd prefer.

FORWARDS
Brad Malone ($0.748m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
OTHER
------

The only problem I have with this is trading Radar for MDZ, I'm just not a fan of his.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yikes the horrible trade ideas are flying in here.

ROR and a top 5 pick for Phaneuf, Gards and Kulemin is beyond horrible dahg. Phaneuf has a bloated contract and is not playing well. He would be Stastny 2.0 but way worse.
Gardiner is in the AHL and I feel that he will always have major questionmarks on the defensive side of the game. And Kulemin is better than last year but his 30 goal season was an absolute fluke and he will be off to Pittsburgh the first chance he gets.

Trading a Top5 pick is not an option. You say we have filled these holes with EJ and our Centers. Guess what? McKinnon and Jones are way better than what we have. Rather see them develop and then move one of our Centers.

X- Jones/Johnson
Siemens - Jones/Johnson
X - Barrie/Elliott

is as solid as we can hope for.
Phaneuf - EJ
Gardiner- X(ROB? SOB? even Hejda (LD)?)
Siemens - Barrie/ Elliott

is further along but way too much money committed to a mediocre defense.
WIth Jones and Johnson you have 2 #1 defenseman.

And if we can get MacKinnon, we will have Sakic / Forsberg all over again with him and Duchene.

So please don't do the Leafs any favors and leave our pick alone.

Oh and whoever: Don't get me started on Bouwmeester? Seriously?
He is the last thing we should trade for in our situation. Guy has never made the playoffs in his career and basically sucks for what he is paid. I am certainly not trading ROR for him...

My plan:

-Fire Sacco and the whole FO.

-Solve the ROR mess. If it means trading him than go for a first pairing dman.

-Pick BPA. (Hopefully one of MacKinnon, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan or even Nichushkin)

-Ask Hejduk gently if he really wants to play another year.

-Get rid of our 214124123213 depth dmen and see how far along Siemens, Barrie or Elliott are. Keep them if it is not hurting their development. If they will make mistakes, they make mistakes. Don't care. We are not contending for a cup anyways.

-Trade Jones for whatever you can get

-Convince Kroenke that he needs to pretend that he cares about the Avs and look at a 4 yr x 25 M deal for Semin. He is the goalscorer we are missing. If he wants more or has no interest in signing with us , it is no biggie. As already said we are not contending but a guy with Semins talent does not often hit the market and usually generates a much higher interest so at least take a shot at it.

-Reevaluate our medical staff.

-Reevaluate the Stastny situation and trade him if necessary (if there are indications of him walking)

-Look around if you can find a gem in the FA market (preferably a dman)

-Play a more enjoyable style of hockey

It's not a horrible trade when you think about it. Jake Gardiner was playing fantastic last season for the leafs and ideally in my opinion he'd be a perfect partner for Erik Johnson, he's a fast skating puck moving d-man with some size. Not a bone crushing hitter but he does have size and we know Johnson can hit when he wants to, Gardiner seems like a great fit. Then, you have Phaneuf who, while overpaid, can play on the 2nd pair and not have the pressure of being the top guy on him, like he's had in both Calgary and Toronto, and I think that's where he is supposed to be, on the 2nd pairing with the ability to play 20-22 minutes per game, Johnson/Gardiner 23-25 minutes per game and then the 3rd pairing playing 15 minutes per game. Then there's Kulemin, and while I agree he probably bolts to Pittsburgh the first chance he gets to join Malkin, I'm thinking about this imagining that he does not, it is a thread speculating the roster for next year lol, I think he'd be a great 3rd line winger for us.

Would it be great to have Seth Jones? Absolutely, but I don't want to wait 3 or 4 years for Jones to develop fully and basically still be stuck in rebuild mode, I want to win now, I believe that the trade fills a need for us, allocates ice time for O'Reilly to be the #2 centre, and gives us depth.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's not a horrible trade when you think about it. Jake Gardiner was playing fantastic last season for the leafs and ideally in my opinion he'd be a perfect partner for Erik Johnson, he's a fast skating puck moving d-man with some size. Not a bone crushing hitter but he does have size and we know Johnson can hit when he wants to, Gardiner seems like a great fit. Then, you have Phaneuf who, while overpaid, can play on the 2nd pair and not have the pressure of being the top guy on him, like he's had in both Calgary and Toronto, and I think that's where he is supposed to be, on the 2nd pairing with the ability to play 20-22 minutes per game, Johnson/Gardiner 23-25 minutes per game and then the 3rd pairing playing 15 minutes per game. Then there's Kulemin, and while I agree he probably bolts to Pittsburgh the first chance he gets to join Malkin, I'm thinking about this imagining that he does not, it is a thread speculating the roster for next year lol, I think he'd be a great 3rd line winger for us.

Would it be great to have Seth Jones? Absolutely, but I don't want to wait 3 or 4 years for Jones to develop fully and basically still be stuck in rebuild mode, I want to win now, I believe that the trade fills a need for us, allocates ice time for O'Reilly to be the #2 centre, and gives us depth.

Nope. I thought about it. Horrible trade. :laugh:

Here's the thing about Phaneuf. He's a big baby, always has been. You say he'd do better on the 2nd pairing, but if he's not getting top minutes and a top role he pouts. You seriously should've seen the Flames/Avs game I went to when both him and Bouwmeester were on the Flames. They rolled out the power play and both of them ran the points. Should've worked, right? Wrong. Phaneuf took the puck in the defensive zone and wouldn't let Bouwmeester get anywhere near it, wouldn't ever pass to him. Ever. Even if Bouwmeester was open or if a forechecker/PKer were bearing down on him. Seriously, even though J-Bo was/is the better outlet passer and could probably skate it up better too. Remember one of the reasons Sutter finally dealt his golden boy was how disruptive he was in the locker room. The guy's a divisive presence and one of many foolish moves the Leafs made was pinning the C on him.

Gardiner could be awesome, but to trade our top player from last year and a potential top-5 pick for a guy who could be a top NHL defenseman and a guy who never has been? No, no, a thousand times, no. I have no desire whatsoever to bail the Leafs out of their current predicament, and that's pretty much what that trade would do, along with setting our own rebuild back a few years.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Nope. I thought about it. Horrible trade. :laugh:

Here's the thing about Phaneuf. He's a big baby, always has been. You say he'd do better on the 2nd pairing, but if he's not getting top minutes and a top role he pouts. You seriously should've seen the Flames/Avs game I went to when both him and Bouwmeester were on the Flames. They rolled out the power play and both of them ran the points. Should've worked, right? Wrong. Phaneuf took the puck in the defensive zone and wouldn't let Bouwmeester get anywhere near it, wouldn't ever pass to him. Ever. Even if Bouwmeester was open or if a forechecker/PKer were bearing down on him. Seriously, even though J-Bo was/is the better outlet passer and could probably skate it up better too. Remember one of the reasons Sutter finally dealt his golden boy was how disruptive he was in the locker room. The guy's a divisive presence and one of many foolish moves the Leafs made was pinning the C on him.

Gardiner could be awesome, but to trade our top player from last year and a potential top-5 pick for a guy who could be a top NHL defenseman and a guy who never has been? No, no, a thousand times, no. I have no desire whatsoever to bail the Leafs out of their current predicament, and that's pretty much what that trade would do, along with setting our own rebuild back a few years.

Yeah we need to draft one of the top forwards in in the draft this year and trade O'Reilly/Stastny for Yandle. That would be the quickest way to get back on track.

And hell no... on Phaneuf I remember exactly what your talking about with Calgary and it was widely publicized. Gardiner is to huge of a question mark...

Personally I think even if we draft MacKinnon he would be better on the wing anyways. Hes not as dynamic as Drouin is when it comes to his hockey IQ. I'm personally hoping for Drouin, hes not that small, is a aggressive hard working high hockey IQ player that would be perfect on Duchene's LW.

Landeskog/Sgarbossa - Stastny - Landeskog/Horton (UFA signing)/Sgarbossa

Drouin - Duchene - Parenteau

McGinn - Bozak - Jones/Sgarbossa (I hope we trade Jones for a 1st at the deadline)

McLeod - Mitchell - Kob/Bordy

Yandle - EJ

Hejda - UFA-D

The rest....

Varly/Jiggy

We could have this as early as next year, with Jones... Yeah maybe he makes the NHL next year but he wont be ready for top pairing minutes and hes right handed. We also wouldn't have our top line winger hole filled either, which until we fill out our top 6 we are not going to compete for ****. Oh and obviously SackHat needs to be fired as well.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
(I hope we trade Jones for a 1st at the deadline)
Jones won't fetch a 1st if he doesn't improve.

For sure we'll get something, but with his salary and term,we might have to keep a portion of his salary to be able to trade him for a higher return.
BTW when a team keeps salary from a traded player, can there be conditions on that as well, e.g. that they only keep salary for 1 year? Or is it until the contract runs out?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Going with a more worse case scenario with following assumptions.
-Cant work a trade for top Dman
-Draft around the 6-10 range (Nichushkin)

-O'Reilly signed 3+yrs
-Stastny can move to wing where he's played before
-Sign MacArthur 4M/yr
-Sign Smid 3.5M/yr
-Trade RoB (deadline), SoB, Zanon, Jones for picks/prospects at deadline/draft to reload pool.

MacArthur (4.000m) - Duchene (3.500m) - PAP (4.000m)
Stastny (6.600m) - O'Reilly (4.250m) - Landeskog (3.575m)
McGinn (1.750m) - Mitchell (1.100m) - Downie (2.650m)
Nichushkin (1.500m) - Malone (900k) - McCleod (1.150m)
Olver (600k) Bordeleau (800k)

Johnson (3.750m) - Smid (3.500m)
Barrie (900k) - Hejda (3.250m)
Elliot (900k) - Wilson (2.250m)
Hunwick (1.600m)

Varlamov (2.833m)
Giguere (1.500m)

Cap #-$56.858m Cap room #-$7.442m

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad