Post-Game Talk: Stars win in Shootout 3-2. Chico night indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Now you're going yo make look up when the vast majority of their team was drafted or acquired...

He traded for Seguin and that makes him a genius?

OK? I guess?

Nil has always been the hidden gem in the Detroit organization and they were openly devastated when he left. What he's done in Dallas in such a short time is frankly amazing. Now Nieuwendyk didn't leave the cupboard completely bare (look at their AHL champion) but he did err in a few departments (trading Neal for Gogligoski).

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
After the amount of bashing Pete has taken for overusing the 4th line, it's hilarious that the criticism tonight is that Pete didn't use the 4th line - with Stephen Gionta on it - enough :laugh:

Well the fourth line WAS the fourth line that everyone wanted at last lol (Ruutu-Josefson and Gionta as a wing).

devilsrock

Sep 14, 2005
Great Neck, NY
After the amount of bashing Pete has taken for overusing the 4th line, it's hilarious that the criticism tonight is that Pete didn't use the 4th line - with Stephen Gionta on it - enough :laugh:

They didn't look like the 4th line tonight. They were playing better then the other three and should of had more playing time.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Everybody including the coach said we were outclassed ....yet a freakin terrible, terrible terrible turnover by Greene that should've NEVER happened and a terrible, terrible, terrible soft goal that should've never happened by Cory is all that was given up.

We gave up 37 shots, were behind the play for most of the night, and were lucky to score our 2nd goal.

True it is possible if Greene and Cory didn't gaffe as badly as they did we maybe outlast them and win, or maybe we just end up with the same result. We still would of stole it because this was not a good game by us tonight.

It was almost the exact opposite of the Rags game where we should of had both points in regulation.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
It looked like there was 11000 there for the ceremony, for some reason a lot of people got there late cause the uppers did fill out more later on.

21 is ridiculous right now. I have to leave a half an hour earlier than I normally would to get there. It's also nice there is no announcement or anything that they close 21 after the game. Plus there are no signs, they make you think that you're just being re-routed onto 21. It's a complete mess.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Everybody including the coach said we were outclassed ....yet a freakin terrible, terrible terrible turnover by Greene that should've NEVER happened and a terrible, terrible, terrible soft goal that should've never happened by Cory is all that was given up.

Because Cory made about 5 or 6 other ridiculous saves. I mean how often do you see a 35+ shot game only result in two goals or less? And no I'm not absolving Cory in his role on the second goal but let's face it, we really should have lost like 4-2 or 5-2 with the way Dallas rolled us the last 55 minutes. Even our second goal was a bit of a lucky bounce.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Because Cory made about 5 or 6 other ridiculous saves. I mean how often do you see a 35+ shot game only result in two goals or less? And no I'm not absolving Cory in his role on the second goal but let's face it, we really should have lost like 4-2 or 5-2 with the way Dallas rolled us the last 55 minutes. Even our second goal was a bit of a lucky bounce.

This.

The second goal was pure luck. They should have lost 5-2.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
What is annoying is we shouldn't even be on a damn losing streak. I'm still pissed about Tuesday night.

Agreed. The Rangers game was way more upsetting than this one. The positive is that we only took two penalties today (though, Henrique's was a dumb penalty) - so that's progress. PK was better, too. That loss was a three point swing. Can't have that happen.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Devil's advocate though, if Cory doesn't give up that goal he could easily of had a gem of a game and stole this one.

Also it could of easily been 3-2 or even 4-2 Devils if Camm buried his chances in the first and if Ryder doesn't bang what looked like a sure fire goal off the post.

Can't say they should of scored more, but ignore the chances we had where we could of easily scored too.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Devil's advocate though, if Cory doesn't give up that goal he could easily of had a gem of a game and stole this one.

Also it could of easily been 3-2 or even 4-2 Devils if Camm buried his chances in the first and if Ryder doesn't bang what looked like a sure fire goal off the post.

It would have been preposterous like his game in LA last year if he did make that extra save and we win 2-1.

And yes we 'could' have scored more but we say that after almost every game. I was just addressing the specific point that we only gave up two.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It would have been preposterous like his game in LA last year if he did make that extra save and we win 2-1.

And yes we 'could' have scored more but we say that after almost every game. I was just addressing the specific point that we only gave up two.

At his best he is good enough to win a game like that as nuts as it is. He just wasn't tonight.

And who knows how the game goes if we go up 2-0, or 2-1 early.

Another problem is they once again didn't play a 90 minute game. 1st was pretty good and we could of scored 3 then we just completely lost it.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
That's also why it wasn't nuts to want to see them more. Sometimes you need another element to your game.

it just made Pete harder to figure out, I mean he usually gives Gio and the 4th line more time than we like (even when they dont look good) but tonight they looked good and rode the pine ?

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

I have a problem when Gio plays center and gets 13-14 minutes. Gio playing wing for 9-10 is fine by me. He and Brunner are the ONLY ones on this team with wheels. And against Dallas and the Rangers, they should see a little more time to at least make the D back up a step. It opens up the ice a tad

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I honestly don't understand this thought process...the thought that oh he was good earlier so that soft one when the game is 1-1 is no big deal, really doesn't make sense to me...I'm not joking. I would have rather lost 5-0 than have the game within in reach and a soft goal be the difference...

And you've got to admit that was a horrifically bad goal.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Nil has always been the hidden gem in the Detroit organization and they were openly devastated when he left. What he's done in Dallas in such a short time is frankly amazing. Now Nieuwendyk didn't leave the cupboard completely bare (look at their AHL champion) but he did err in a few departments (trading Neal for Gogligoski).

Agree - but Dallas didn't become good in one season. Lehtonen, Daley, Benn were there, as were the kids you point out. Nill's made some good moves, but he used assets that were developed from previous regimes and previous sucking.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Well the fourth line WAS the fourth line that everyone wanted at last lol (Ruutu-Josefson and Gionta as a wing).

They looked good. Though, many games the CBGB line played as well or better than the 4th line tonight played, and people were still upset about the minutes they (or specifically Gionta) got. But there is an amount of irony about the flip-flop that is pretty funny.

Josefson played solid. Brought speed, which was his most noticeable quality. I thought Gio made the biggest difference on that line tonight. He was flying.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
it just made Pete harder to figure out, I mean he usually gives Gio and the 4th line more time than we like (even when they dont look good) but tonight they looked good and rode the pine ?

Well Gio didn't have to kill as many penalties tonight either so that kept his icetime down.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I honestly don't understand this thought process...the thought that oh he was good earlier so that soft one when the game is 1-1 is no big deal, really doesn't make sense to me...I'm not joking. I would have rather lost 5-0 than have the game within in reach and a soft goal be the difference...

And you've got to admit that was a horrifically bad goal.

I never said it wasn't a big deal. But the flow of the game and Cory's play are two different things. If I had to describe Cory's game it was 'good, but not good enough' (because of the soft goal).

I just don't understand how Cory has these singular brain cramps game after game in games he otherwise plays well, it's a total mystery to me right now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
They looked good. Though, many games the CBGB line played as well or better than the 4th line tonight played, and people were still upset about the minutes they (or specifically Gionta) got. But there is an amount of irony about the flip-flop that is pretty funny.

Josefson played solid. Brought speed, which was his most noticeable quality. I thought Gio made the biggest difference on that line tonight. He was flying.
I agree with ALL of this.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
This place is classic. Fire Pete. Replace Lou. Trade everyone.

Your Vezina goaltender hasn't gotten his game together yet. He will - (although he'll never be the caliber that the Cory club believes him to be)

The kids are going to have bad nights.

This is a bridge year anyway. I said at the start that I would be surprised if they sneak in - Because of the kid Dmen, I'm actually more encouraged than in the offseason.

Best thing that can happen is Larsson and the kids get some time to grow into their skins, and we find out about JJ, Brunner, Boosh and Matteau.

Jagr and Elias likely aren't going anywhere, and Trav and Adam are the cornerstones up front. Cammy is the only bright spot - but I'm fine dealing him if we can get something back at the deadline - assuming he is on a 30-goal pace.

I have always thought Clowe to be done and Ryder to be way too streaky for this team. It would be great if either or both get hot. I won't hold my breath expecting anyone to accept them in a trade. Havlat is surprisingly on the shelf.

Gio is fine for the 4th line. Ruutu is fine too, but I'd rather see Matteau.

Zubs needs to be jettisoned despite my love for the guy. Same with Tootoo, same with Sal. Zids is ridiculously important to this team but if some team comes knocking, I'd deal him too, as he's becoming more expendable with every Gelinas/Severson minute on the ice. I'm fine with bringing Helgeson up if Zids is dealt or Sal becomes 7th dman.

Bridge year. Take our lumps now.
Cammy Trav Jagr
Brunner Elias Havlat
Matteau Henrique Boosh
Ruutu JJ Gio

Severson Greene
Merrill Larsson
Helgeson Gelinas

OR - just keep it all together, and maybe things will work out. Patrick Marleau said of us 'that team has a lot of firepower'. Really?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I never said it wasn't a big deal. But the flow of the game and Cory's play are two different things. If I had to describe Cory's game it was 'good, but not good enough' (because of the soft goal).
I think 'not good enough' is letting him off easy...we had this discussion last year about allowing timely goals and the stat people just yelled save percentage at the top of their lungs...this game was the perfect example of Only giving up 2 but the loss was 100% directly related to an untimely goal.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Going forward, I'm not worried about Cory at all.

But Cory gets paid the money he gets paid and has the contract he does to play games like he did tonight that don't include soft goals and extremely poor shootout performances.

If a forward has a 2 goal game, but has a terrible turnover that leads to a goal against, has a few other poor shifts, misses his shootout attempt, and we lose in a shootout, what type of game did he have? Definitely not a poor one. He helped you earn a point. But definitely not a great one either.

Kind of how I view Cory's game tonight. Helped us get a point yes, but also was a factor in us not getting 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad