Post-Game Talk: Stars win in Shootout 3-2. Chico night indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
All I can say is thank Christ we play in the East. If we had to go up against teams like Dallas all season we'd be basement dwellers. The difference in speed is just painful to watch. Effort is not the issue. They just physically can not keep up with faster teams.

Even against bad teams like last year's Isles, Oilers, Flames, Sabres their speed kills us even when they didn't have our talent. But yeah speed is overrated, another meme here that is flawed. It's only 'overrated' in that most teams have it so by itself it's not the difference, but we don't have any and suffer for it. All night Dallas looked like they had their finger stuck on the turbo button with unlimited juice skating around and past anyone in a Devil jersey.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Thing with Clowe is, he is still doing his thing. Producing points above .5 per game, he's a plus player, still playing physical.

But we just have so many of these slow guys, that even though some are still playing well, the overall lack of speed is an issue.

I again point back to Deboer's desire to have Sal in the game because he brings things to the table that others don't ie vet presence and physical play.

Then why does that not apply to the forwards, we so clearly need speed and youthful exuberance, but instead we get Zubrus doubling JJ's minutes.
A slow defenseman is not remotely the same as a slow winger...even a slow center is better than a slow winger....speed on the wings is critical. It always has been.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
The status quo/mediocrity world we are living in is too tough to stomach.

I'm amazed at these kinds of comments. How are you missing the bigger picture? I get that losses are hard to take, but we've got two defenseman playing top minutes who weren't on the opening roster last season. Plus, we're seeing Schneider mature into a starting goaltender. What we're seeing are growing pains.

Are people really watching this team to see consistent wins and a deep playoff run? Is the fan base really that spoiled? It takes time to build a contender. We're watching a process. This process started a couple of years ago, and will take a couple more years to play out. If you're not interested in seeing teams develop, this season probably isn't for you.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Even against bad teams like last year's Isles, Oilers, Flames, Sabres their speed kills us even when they didn't have our talent. But yeah speed is overrated, another meme here that is flawed. It's only 'overrated' in that most teams have it so by itself it's not the difference, but we don't have any and suffer for it. All night Dallas looked like they had their finger stuck on the turbo button with unlimited juice skating around and past anyone in a Devil jersey.

just wait for the Jets game so we can make Evander Kane look like a top 5 player simply because he skates circles around our team.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
We really need a genuine 2-3 tweener centre. So Henrique can move up a spot.

I actually have felt for some time that this team clearly lacks a legitimate top line center. Zajac is a very good 2nd line center and I think that as a center, Henrique would fit better as a third liner. Elias, at this age should go back on the wing. Look at our centers and tell me that you're honestly afraid of any of them....

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Wow..NHL networks showing replays of how badly Ales Hemsky schooled both Zidlicky and Gelinas...I saw them but in slow motion, they look reallllllly bad. Wonder if we'll see Larsson tomorrow? Probably not.

wellonegm05*

Thing with Clowe is, he is still doing his thing. Producing points above .5 per game, he's a plus player, still playing physical.

But we just have so many of these slow guys, that even though some are still playing well, the overall lack of speed is an issue.

I again point back to Deboer's desire to have Sal in the game because he brings things to the table that others don't ie vet presence and physical play.

Then why does that not apply to the forwards, we so clearly need speed and youthful exuberance, but instead we get Zubrus doubling JJ's minutes.

At this point, seeing the Flyers, and Washington, and Tampa, and Dallas, and the Rags, it is certainly evident this is a very slow team. Just about every team we play skates circles around our intangibles. That's why we need to play the style we do. I can't wait to see how disastrous it looks when we play the Islanders. Better off going full rebuild and playing all the kids. Gonna be hard either way to trade off some of the vets. Especially the ones on Lou's ridiculous "loyalty contracts" like Zubrus, Sal and probably even Elias.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm amazed at these kinds of comments. How are you missing the bigger picture? I get that losses are hard to take, but we've got two defenseman playing top minutes who weren't on the opening roster last season. Plus, we're seeing Schneider mature into a starting goaltender. What we're seeing are growing pains.

Are people really watching this team to see consistent wins and a deep playoff run? Is the fan base really that spoiled? It takes time to build a contender. We're watching a process. This process started a couple of years ago, and will take a couple more years to play out. If you're not interested in seeing teams develop, this season probably isn't for you.

Then why did we stack this team with a million old fwds?

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
At this point, seeing the Flyers, and Washington, and Tampa, and Dallas, and the Rags, it is certainly evident this is a very slow team. Just about every team we play skates circles around our intangibles. That's why we need to play the style we do. I can't wait to see how disastrous it looks when we play the Islanders. Better off going full rebuild and playing all the kids. Gonna be hard either way to trade off some of the vets. Especially the ones on Lou's ridiculous "loyalty contracts" like Zubrus, Sal and probably even Elias.

I've been saying this for 2 years. But I understand why this is all playing out. It has to do with reputation and season tickets.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
just wait for the Jets game so we can make Evander Kane look like a top 5 player simply because he skates circles around our team.

If Kane shows up for the game. Isn't he hurt or counting his money again?

Even if Kane doesn't show up, they'll just have 350-pound Buff skate around us.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Centers have a tendency to look slow also they are reading more, have more defensive responsibilities and typically circling a lot..."big C's in the offensive zone" I heard one coach say...

Did you see how much faster Gionta looked on the wing...straight up and down, no circling.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Only teams that have given up more goals than NJD in the eastern conference...Philly and Buffalo. Yikes.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

I was sold a bill of goods by Lou, Pete, and other people on this board that this is apparently a playoff team before the season started. I never really heard anything about a "transition year". I mean, I know were going young on defense but its still status quo up front. They actually increased the status quo by bringing more 30+ year olds. Were not really building a contender up front.

And yes, this fanbase is obviously very spoiled and that will show in the attendance this year if things don't do a 180 with the on ice product.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Then why did we stack this team with a million old fwds?

Because the new CBA allows 26 year olds to go UFA...and we lost 2 forwards to FA and one didn't feel like being here...so you backfill with the leftovers.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ

This is the only game speed seemed to be a major factor. Rangers, and Flyers were outplayed by the Devils. Tampa was an evenly matched game. This game stuck out like a sore thumb. The Stars were really utilizing their speed at the right times. Some of it was on the Devils for just throwing the puck away all over the ice. But as you saw with Elias in OT, when they tried to regroup and maintain control, they were all over them anyway. Stars just played a very good game. That effort right there, probably would have beaten almost every NHL team right now. You have to give them credit. Getting a point in this game was like a win in this situation.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Severson played 25:41 tonight he was 2nd on the team with 5 shots...WOW.

Merrill was the only player on the team +2

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Brunner played more minutes than other forward except for Jagr and Zajac... he also led the team with 6 shots.

Brunner actually played more minutes than Merrill, Gelinas and Salvador.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Worst I've seen us play in a while

Josefson didn't look too bad all things considered

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
They can be a little leaky in the defensive zone, but I think Dallas was easily the best team the Devils have faced so far. And by a wide margin. They're really building a strong hockey club there. I was very impressed by them.

I think NJ gave an honest effort. Problem is they just don't match up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad