Post-Game Talk: Stars win in Shootout 3-2. Chico night indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Come up his wall? He skates directly to Greene.. he's not coming up the wall at all.

Seriously, just answer this question. When do you ever want both defensemen behind the net at the same time?

You stop right where my issue with the play was anyways. "Severson comes in" .. that's the problem. He shouldn't have gone behind the net at all on the PK. Should have planted himself between the puck battle and the net. Period.
Dude you're nuts...he doesn't go behind the net immediately. He bumps with Spezza on the half wall and waits for Greene to do something. He only goes behind when he realizes Greene is screwed with 3 Dallas stars on him. He had so much time to move the puck and didn't.

Don't know what you're watching.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Josefson slid into the line up nicely and looked pretty good throughout the game. I like him tucked away on the 4th line with Gionta, they worked well together.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Crept in? He flew right past the net and abandoned the correct positioning.

The kid has been great but he's allowed to make mistakes.. and he made one tonight that helped lead to a GA. It's not a big deal, not sure why we have to re-interpret what happened.

Who's reinterpreting? Severson was positioned where he was because the easy play for Greene to make there is to chip it back up the boards on the side Severson is coming in from. That could have resulted in a quick clear.

Not to mention if Spezza comes away with the puck, Severson is in an ideal position to defend him along the wall, especially with Zajac near the slot, and Zubrus in the circle. Those two didn't even have a chance to bear down because of how fast Greene lost the battle.

And 2 d-men end up below the goal line a lot in those situations. It's why it's so important to be strong along the wall and not lose battles. That play was a perfect example of why coaches stress it.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Cory did stop a penalty shot this season too. Who the **** knows why he sucks so bad at them. There are plenty of butterfly goalies that have good records in SOs, so I doubt it's that.

Jagr has over 700 goals in his career but stinks at shootouts. Sometimes it just doesn't seem to make sense.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Dude you're nuts...he doesn't go behind the net immediately. He bumps with Spezza on the half wall and waits for Greene to do something. He only goes behind when he realizes Greene is screwed with 3 Dallas stars on him. He had so much time to move the puck and didn't.

Don't know what you're watching.

There's only 2 Dallas players on Greene behind the net.. so it's kind of laughable that I'm the one who's not watching :laugh:

Regardless, Severson played that terribly. He bumps Spezza, yep. But he neither engages in actual support for Greene (just lets Spezza skate past him and watches as he cruises past the goal line) or takes middle of the ice.

DevilSlovenia

Jul 1, 2014
So much negativity. Yeah I get it it's frustrating the way they played last night (and here I was up from 1 am to 4 am) but it's not like this team is built to contend. I'm a fan of DeBoer (one of very few here :) ) and I agree 100% with people here who are saying he's not handling some players (young players in general) well and makes some questionable game management decisions but overall since he's here this team has better results then they really are. And to put SO losses on him is also ridicules. Firstly we don't know IF he is the one who chooses shooters and even if he does he knows best who to take because they practice that and he sees every week. On other hand during this 18 game SO losing streak goaltending is at around 50% which is a joke.

ED: Yeah they got outplayed last night by a better team and that is rare because they can play with anyone despite the lack of talent. But they got a point.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
According to Ruff they played their best game this season last night. No doubt about it. We didnt do that bad against a team that was doing really well.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Josefson slid into the line up nicely and looked pretty good throughout the game. I like him tucked away on the 4th line with Gionta, they worked well together.

Gionta certainly seemed more effective 5 on 5 when playing wing....now to just swap him and Josefson on the PK. :laugh:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
So, I missed my bus and in the process around $45. But I regret nothing, Chico night was worth it. The game was terrible, but Chico was the real star :laugh:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Going forward, I'm not worried about Cory at all.

But Cory gets paid the money he gets paid and has the contract he does to play games like he did tonight that don't include soft goals and extremely poor shootout performances.

If a forward has a 2 goal game, but has a terrible turnover that leads to a goal against, has a few other poor shifts, misses his shootout attempt, and we lose in a shootout, what type of game did he have? Definitely not a poor one. He helped you earn a point. But definitely not a great one either.

Kind of how I view Cory's game tonight. Helped us get a point yes, but also was a factor in us not getting 2.

This is fair and I think it's how Cory or any goalie should be viewed, but it's not. A goalie gives up a bad goal and he's automatically the scapegoat no matter what the circumstances are. The shots could have been 50-0 in favor of Dallas and if they lost 1-0 on a bad Cory goal, you can bet Cory would be the reason they lost.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
btw Chico's five minutes was more like nine last night lol...the entire speech was 8:50 long.

At the rate these games are going I'd rather watch Chico ramble on for two and a half hours than the actual Devils playing :P

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Also, big shout out to the dude in the first row of 226 last night. Swearing at the top of his lungs after every penalty we were called for and wildly slamming his hands on the glass in front of the first row after Benn sealed it in the SO. Face was red hell as hell, veins popping out of his neck. Embarrassing - thanks for reminding me it's just a game at the end of the day. Can't believe he didn't break his hand during those tantrums...

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Also, big shout out to the dude in the first row of 226 last night. Swearing at the top of his lungs after every penalty we were called for and wildly slamming his hands on the glass in front of the first row after Benn sealed it in the SO. Face was red hell as hell, veins popping out of his neck. Embarrassing - thanks for reminding me it's just a game at the end of the day. Can't believe he didn't break his hand during those tantrums...

I'm usually extremely calm, but I did punch the back of the seat in front of me after the Kings won in overtime (again) in game 2 of the cup finals. Too pissed.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
I'm usually extremely calm, but I did punch the back of the seat in front of me after the Kings won in overtime (again) in game 2 of the cup finals. Too pissed.

Well that's as big a stage as it gets so I can understand it. During game 7/82? Lol His fits may have have been the loudest after Henrique's penalty - Which was absolutely the correct call. Rico got his stick up between the arm and body. That's going to get called all day....

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
According to Ruff they played their best game this season last night. No doubt about it. We didnt do that bad against a team that was doing really well.

again, though, it comes down to they should have taken care of business against the rangers and won in regulation. and maybe gotten a point out of SJS

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mostly get sarcastic (out loud) but yeah that kind of 'intensity' is a little much for October. But he wouldn't be able to bang on the seats during the SCF either unless he wanted a fight with the guy in front of him...there's enough empty seats where you could get away with it last night :P

Well that's as big a stage as it gets so I can understand it. During game 7/82? Lol His fits may have have been the loudest after Henrique's penalty - Which was absolutely the correct call. Rico got his stick up between the arm and body. That's going to get called all day....

I was screaming come on Henrique or something a little stronger but to that effect...and then he was complaining on top of it too.

btw what was with the ref last night? He was acting like he was in a theater play overdramatizing every call.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
I mostly get sarcastic (out loud) but yeah that kind of 'intensity' is a little much for October. But he wouldn't be able to bang on the seats during the SCF either unless he wanted a fight with the guy in front of him...there's enough empty seats where you could get away with it last night :P

I was screaming come on Henrique or something a little stronger but to that effect...and then he was complaining on top of it too.

btw what was with the ref last night? He was acting like he was in a theater play overdramatizing every call.

The penalty announcement after the Sal fight was hilarious :laugh:

Camille the Eel

Elias - making those two turnovers in a row at his own blue line during the last minute of overtime - did not look "himself" - I'm wondering why. Honestly have never seen him look this way game after game. Is this just a mid-30's, late 30's slow start or is there an injury that makes it so he can't stride?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Amazingly enough the Isles are the ones worse than us at 68.2% (15-22). We're at 71% (22-31).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We didn't allow a PP goal last night.

And for all the talk of how good Dallas was, it was their 4th line that scored their crucial 2nd goal..

Patrick Eaves the superstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese