GDT: Stars @ Caps - 4/1/2014 - April Caps Fan Day.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Ovechkin with a proper coach and on a proper line is close to 70 goals a year easily. I don't see why he shouldn't be afforded this luxury seeing as nearly every other top superstar gets a great coach and great line mates.

What exactly is a proper line? He has had the same problems with Backstrom centering him, same problems with Grabs centering him. MJ may be struggling now (like the rest of the team), but he is a reasonable top 6 player. OV has become one dimensional. I think it's actually an insult to his talent level to say that he is playing well. This all started with BB coaching him, remember the benching in the closing minute of that game? Something happened to him after those 2010 olympics. I've wondered about a drinking problem or something like that personally.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
As much as i am not a fan of Brouwer's game you have to read this because his assessment plus the analysis of the author is brilliant - http://nhl.si.com/2014/04/01/troy-b...pitals-takes-veiled-shot-at-coach-adam-oates/

You will see what the problems are with the caps in that article and not make stupid, outlandish claims like 'Ovechkin is the problem'

It's silly to act like Ovechkin isn't one of the problems. Take the homer glasses off, the guy is playing possibly the worst hockey he ever has, and that's saying something since he's had some real awful stretches of play. :shakehead

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
As much as i am not a fan of Brouwer's game you have to read this because his assessment plus the analysis of the author is brilliant - http://nhl.si.com/2014/04/01/troy-b...pitals-takes-veiled-shot-at-coach-adam-oates/

You will see what the problems are with the caps in that article and not make stupid, outlandish claims like 'Ovechkin is the problem'

good post, not claiming Ovechkin is the problem solely by any means, my argument is hes extremely one dimensional now and thats it. but yes that could be Oates too.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
It's silly to act like Ovechkin isn't one of the problems. Take the homer glasses off, the guy is playing possibly the worst hockey he ever has, and that's saying something since he's had some real awful stretches of play. :shakehead

If scoring 50 is part of playing the worst hockey of ones career then the sky really is the limit huh?

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
If scoring 50 is part of playing the worst hockey of ones career then the sky really is the limit huh?

That's because he can stand wide open on the power play and get goals because his shot is still wicked. Like I said if our power play was middle of the pack ovechkin would have about 35 goals this season and still not play defense.

I'm starting to wonder if you're playing an April fools joke on us or if you're serious.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Unwashed butt indeed. We had no soark tonite. Not from Broy Brouwer, nor Calle Jo Backstrom, nor any of the rest of them.

On the other hand, maybe this bad flameout at the end of a mediocre season will result in serious offseason overhaul, starting w/ new GM and coach. Then this puke stain of a 'playoff push' will have served a purpose.

Time to take C off Sasha's sweater. Let him go back to being a scorer and a charming knucklehead. We need to find our next Langway.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
good post, not claiming Ovechkin is the problem solely by any means, my argument is hes extremely one dimensional now and thats it. but yes that could be Oates too.

I am not disagreeing that he is becoming one dimensional , but i am telling you that is because of the coaching and the fact that it looks to me like he's asked to take no defensive accountability. I simply refuse to believe that a born winner like Ovi who has crazy hunger couldn't adapt to a more complete style if asked but all i see are the coaches he's had telling him not to play that way. Bruce told him one thing, Hunter another and now god knows what Oates is because all we ever get to see Ovi do is wait for the wheelhouse and slap that piece of rubber through the net (which he does better than anyone on the planet by light years).

My problem is that some people on here are suggesting Ovi is becoming this way out of choice, that cannot be true.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

In some ways I agree with Brouwer, in other ways I disagree. There is something to be said for adjusting your game plan based on the opponent or the flow of the game. The problem is that the Caps have had pretty much one style; suckage. I don't see them moving through the neutral zone with speed or precision at all. I don't see them applying consistent forechecking pressure until late in a deficit. Perhaps that's a result of Oates yo-yoing, but as I said, good teams probably practice and can play both styles.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
That's because he can stand wide open on the power play and get goals because his shot is still wicked. Like I said if our power play was middle of the pack ovechkin would have about 35 goals this season and still not play defense.

I'm starting to wonder if you're playing an April fools joke on us or if you're serious.

Isn't he 3rd in the league for EVSG?

Vladiator16*

With fans like these who needs enemies (re: OV)

First things first. The management has to go, along with coaching. Winning culture has to be created/installed. Who's gonna keep trying year in and year out knowing that help isn't coming?
We needed To emprove D and 2C under BB, we did ****... And with this weirdness of coaching, if you can call it that... I don't even know wtf is going on... All I know is let's change this loser management, give it a little while then judge.

RaindanceMaggie

Sep 3, 2011
Vancouver
I don't post much here, but read it a lot. Here's my take on this season.

Firstly, I haven't viewed this team as a contender or really a playoff team since the Lightning swept us and Boudreau left. I'm not shocked that this team is playing like this and really the people who think this team can be decent and be a playoff team is kidding themselves. There is far too much Oates bashing on this board, yes he has made some decision that have made me go WTF, but every coach does (Ovi with Beagle). I don't think that he warrants that much hate, considering the roster he has. GMGM needs to go and it has been this way forever and every caps fan concurs on this.

The people who keep trashing Ovechkin need to grow up, there isn't much more he can do. He has carried this team many times during his career and it won't change until significant roster changes are made. He's the only player that we can count on to score goals and bring some energy to the lineup on a consistent basis, there's too many fans who see him have an off game or 2 and then reference those games for the rest of the season and then build it into there synopsis of the season. As for his +/-, yeah it doesn't look good but honestly I don't care because it's a flawed stat. His so called lack of defense isn't the reason this team is losing either, it's just plain incompetency of our so called mix and match D core.

Honestly, outside of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Ward & Wilson, everyone else needs to go. Brouwer can put some decent numbers up but he's too slow and talks too much. I'm not sure how our lineup became so unskilled. We were far better off with Steckel, Fleischmann, Bradley & Semin than Johansson, Chimera, Grabovski & Brouwer. We lost the ability to be dangerous at 5on5 because we lost all our skill and footspeed.

Our defense has always been a joke. Alzner & Carlson have been good but for sure not great. Green needs to go, he doesn't do one thing for this roster other than slide OV one timer passes and ride his moped. Orlov is great and needs to continue to develop. As for the goaltending situation, it's one of the worst managed assets this team had. Why Varlamov was traded is beyond me, he was our best prospect and goaltender and was let go for nothing. The signing of middle road goalies out of panick is lame too, Halak, Theodore & Vokoun should never have worn caps sweaters.

The list of players gone that shouldn't have left is so long I don't even want to touch on it. GMGM folded hard after that Montreal series which was the worst thing to do. We ran into a goalie playing insane and happened to lose despite dominating that series for the most part. That was the team that was going to run a cup if we ever do in the near future. GMGM is wasting a generational talent who could probably put up 70 if he played with better players. And don't say Backstrom, because he isn't the same since Bourque.

Unless we clean house and by that, I mean General Manager, coaches, and majority of the roster I don't see a bright future for this team.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
I am not disagreeing that he is becoming one dimensional , but i am telling you that is because of the coaching and the fact that it looks to me like he's asked to take no defensive accountability. I simply refuse to believe that a born winner like Ovi who has crazy hunger couldn't adapt to a more complete style if asked but all i see are the coaches he's had telling him not to play that way. Bruce told him one thing, Hunter another and now god knows what Oates is because all we ever get to see Ovi do is wait for the wheelhouse and slap that piece of rubber through the net (which he does better than anyone on the planet by light years).

My problem is that some people on here are suggesting Ovi is becoming this way out of choice, that cannot be true.

Save individual awards, what has he won?

BTW- for all his points, he's a minus 36 on his line.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
Ovi has poured his heart and soul out for this club, literally laying his body on the line nearly the whole time he's been here. Now it seems he's asked to just score and that's it and he's probably saying to himself 'what's the point, i am surrounded by ineptness that never helps me out come playoff time'.

You tell me if you're Ovi and you see this walking joke of a franchise choke year in and year out no matter how much effort you seem to give, where is the desire to give more?

This for me is a big reason why you see Crosby excelling because he's part of an organisation that GET'S IT. It is easy for him to give 100% effort night and night out because he knows his team is well coached they always have a legit shot to win the cup and he has genuine superstars around him like Malkin, Letang, Neal etc. that have his back when he can't get it going.

You tell me who apart from Nick gives consistent production to this team?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Ovi has poured his heart and soul out for this club, literally laying his body on the line nearly the whole time he's been here. Now it seems he's asked to just score and that's it and he's probably saying to himself 'what's the point, i am surrounded by ineptness that never helps me out come playoff time'.

You tell me if you're Ovi and you see this walking joke of a franchise choke year in and year out no matter how much effort you seem to give where is the desire to give more?

Aside from the Hillen hit I don't even know if he's made a physical play this whole season. :help:

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006

You tell me if you're Ovi and you see this walking joke of a franchise choke year in and year out no matter how much effort you seem to give where is the desire to give more?

Cherry-picking is pouring out your heart & soul?

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
This team is a mashup of players with no identity. It starts from the top. The players have been guinea pigs for new coaches to experiment their rookie systems

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
In some ways I agree with Brouwer, in other ways I disagree. There is something to be said for adjusting your game plan based on the opponent or the flow of the game. The problem is that the Caps have had pretty much one style; suckage. I don't see them moving through the neutral zone with speed or precision at all. I don't see them applying consistent forechecking pressure until late in a deficit. Perhaps that's a result of Oates yo-yoing, but as I said, good teams probably practice and can play both styles.

Teams should absolutely try to take advantage of their opponents weaknesses. But if you are switching your attack significantly every game then you are letting the other team dictate how you play and I'm pretty sure no team has ever been successful doing that.

A team needs an identity. It can be almost anything, but it has to be consistent. You can't try to be an aggressive forechecking team today, a trapping team tomorrow, and a fire wagon on Sunday. Pick one, develop a system around that, hold players accountable to that system, and then make small adjustments game to game.

Trying to get an entire team to change tactics night in and night out based on who the opponent is just doesn't work.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Won't even bother dl'ing this.

It's frustrating. Ovechkin plays like trash, his coach does everything to make him worse, and he's still a 50 goal scorer. If AO played well with a consistent effort under a competent coaching...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00