GDT: Stars @ Caps - 4/1/2014 - April Caps Fan Day.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I was real surprised when Nick made Ovy his best man and he had to leave the next period but this team is ****** even by CBS sitcom standards

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Haha loves the question, "why so many mistakes all year?"

" I don't have an answer"
Oh but you so do, say it. Oates is bad coach
Oates is bad system

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Nope, it's the unemotional view of someone who's watched his entire NHL career. You're living in denial my friend. Respect has nothing to do with this. This is about reality.

nope this is actually about your memory loss. he's played like **** post olympics but don't act like he's only a goal scorer.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm not advocating getting rid of him but having 9 million to play with would certainly help find a goal scorer.

Styles of play change when you remove players from it. Simply because the goal totals are disproportionately slanted towards OV doesn't mean that no one else is capable of scoring, it's partially a representation of our style of play. The guy hangs out at the blue line on defense, he has no other purpose other than to score, the entire team is oriented to feeding him pucks when he's on the ice. If he's not on the team the entire offensive outlook changes.

I'm not saying they wouldn't be worse. I'm saying give a competent GM 9 million to play with, give me a new coach, and this roster and they would be roughly in the same ball park.

He has plenty of money to play with this off season regardless.

Beyond that, this team has had many times for someone to step up and be a better goal scorer. The fact we've been lucky to have Ward fill that role and we STILL suck is telling of the scoring ability on this team. We're built with a crap load of grinders, a few pretty passers, and one true goal scorer. Without Ovi they don't put the puck in the net, I'm pretty confident of that.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
Ovechkin with a proper coach and on a proper line is close to 70 goals a year easily. I don't see why he shouldn't be afforded this luxury seeing as nearly every other top superstar gets a great coach and great line mates.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I couldn't disagree any more, i am not in denial since i watch every Caps game with my brother and half way between in each game after yet another calamitous piece of defending i am guaranteed to say 'this team blows'

I know what this team is and where they are at now but i know for a fact that Ovechkin is not what you say he is. Reigning league MVP and i'm pretty sure you weren't singing this tune when he was single handedly dragging the Caps into the playoffs exactly this time last year.

May i also remind you that once we got in the Rags keyed in on Ovi and no one else stepped up to help him out and create space for him, instead they stunk up the joint like a finely tuned GMGM constructed team.

Open your eyes, Ovi is not the problem. The GM and this tactically inept Coach are.

So as long as Ovy scores on the PP, everything else is fine in your book. He doesn't have to play hard, he doesn't have to backcheck, he doesn't have to lead by example, nothing. Just go score goals and hope it all falls miraculously into place. This team would be horrible without him, but he's not becoming a more complete player, he's becoming less of one. You want to lay all blame on everyone else and all accolades on Ovechkin. You've lost all perspective with regards to your favorite player my friend and it shows badly.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
nope this is actually about your memory loss. he's played like **** post olympics but don't act like he's only a goal scorer.

I love ovechkin as much as anyone, but seriously what does he do other than score goals? (Mostly PP). What if our power play was ranked say 18th. Would you be happy with a 35 goal season from ovechkin ?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

What is he? If you have something relevant to add besides drive-bye comments that contribute jack sh** I'm all ears.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Ovechkin with a proper coach and on a proper line is close to 70 goals a year easily. I don't see why he shouldn't be afforded this luxury seeing as nearly every other top superstar gets a great coach and great line mates.

With him increasingly becoming ineffective at even strength, how the hell would anyone expect him to come close to 70 goals. That's absurd.

My big problem with him is his pathetic D game and he doesn't even bring a physical element most night, and he's the captain.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I love ovechkin as much as anyone, but seriously what does he do other than score goals? (Mostly PP). What if our power play was ranked say 18th. Would you be happy with a 35 goal season from ovechkin ?

Just keep blaming others....clearly. It keeps Caps fans from having to take a hard look at the team.

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA

I'm all for getting Ovechkin proper linemates but remember when Crosby had no line mates and lit up the league? Oooh, better yet... Remember when Ovechkin first came into the league and had no line mates and lit up the league?

He just doesn't care. Bunch of coaches telling him to be something he isn't and do stuff that he doesn't want to.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
damn. buffalo wins. was hoping it would be NJ. would've dropped the caps to 20th in the east, but as is still down to 19th, and if Vancouver wins... . a few more days like this and the tank is on! woot!

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
So as long as Ovy scores on the PP, everything else is fine in your book. He doesn't have to play hard, he doesn't have to backcheck, he doesn't have to lead by example, nothing. Just go score goals and hope it all falls miraculously into place. This team would be horrible without him, but he's not becoming a more complete player, he's becoming less of one. You want to lay all blame on everyone else and all accolades on Ovechkin. You've lost all perspective with regards to your favorite player my friend and it shows badly.

On the contraire it's the exact opposite, i was very concerned that Ovi's last 7 or 8 goals have been on the PP. But please seeing as you are such an expert on this topic, tell me who Ovi has been playing with throughout the whole of March? Oh that's right the hockey legend that is Marcus Johansson and the demi-god Jay Beagle. Jesus christ i bet those clowns couldn't get you a 5 on 5 goal even if you were playing against a bunch of 10 year olds.

Just remind me, since when has Ovi ever been credited for backchecking? It's NEVER been in his game. It's also part of the reason he is able to rush up the ice the way he does because it preserves his energy instead of having to bang on the boards with dudes who want to. You can also blame the league for taking away Ovechkin's hard hitting style, the rules are becoming ever more skewed to stop him playing the way he wants.

At the end of the day all i'll say is this, if he gets a quality coach with a proper offensive system who knows what he's doing and then he's is allowed to consistently play with linemates who haev creativity, chemistry and where the goals are shared instead of being all on him then you will see what i mean. If he gets all that and he doesn't play the way he should then i will gladly hold my hands up and say you're right.

I will not pass judgment on the MVP of this league when he has an inept coach with no NHL experience and is constantly shuffled to different lines like a deck of cards.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Giroux has been so frustrating this game
Completely invisible IMO.

@Chris_Gordon: Oates: "If somehow we make the playoffs when we play like this, who are we kidding? We have to figure out a way to get better."

If only someone was paid to do that sort of thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad