GDT: Stars @ Caps - 4/1/2014 - April Caps Fan Day.

Vladiator16*

wow... This kind of games get coaches fired... Even with 6 games remaining... mafki get behind the bench. :laugh:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not much into pressers but what is Oates going to say?

Hint that players aren't working his system, give credit to the other team, deflect attention to the next game and how close they are to the playoffs with games to go. That's my guess. You can't get away with the usual "I thought we played well and just didn't get rewarded" or any of that **** this time.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
I don't buy this. He eats up nearly 9 million in cap and is -34. I don't think this team is a playoff team without him, but at this point I don't know if they're that much worse. This roster isn't that bad.

You have got to be joking. Apart from Ward nearly every player on this roster is mentally Pejorative Slured when it comes to the most important aspect of hockey - SCORING GOALS.

Trust me this team is the Islanders without Tavares, in fact they're much much worse. I'm talking Sabres level.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think you are dead, dead wrong. I don't remotely claim Ovi to be some kind a special two way player or a defensive beast but to say he does nothing but score goals is absolutely disrespectful.

It's not reality, it's you trying to blow off steam. He is also one of the most underrated passers in the league.

Nope, it's the unemotional view of someone who's watched his entire NHL career. You're living in denial my friend. Respect has nothing to do with this. This is about reality.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I don't buy this. He eats up nearly 9 million in cap and is -34. I don't think this team is a playoff team without him, but at this point I don't know if they're that much worse. This roster isn't that bad.

Who else is gonna score? Expecting someone like Ward to replicate this season next year is insane and you really think this team is just a little worse off with Troy Brouwer as its number 1 scorer?

Ovy has his warts but he carried this team quite often this year.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
hahaha Locker the Company Man sticking to the "got away from their system/structure" line.

I'm so sick of having smoke blown up my ass about this team.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Ovie does nothing but score now, he can't carry the puck, he can't make a move anymore, he doesn't play defense, I haven't even seen a big hit in a long time. He's extremely one dimensional. Without our PP he would have only scored 20-30 goals. That's pathetic. However I blame a lot of that on Oates garbage coaching.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Who else is gonna score? Expecting someone like Ward to replicate this season next year is insane and you really think this team is just a little worse off with Troy Brouwer as its number 1 scorer?

The only reason we were even within sniffing range of the playoffs was because of Ovie on the PP. Think how many games he tied/won especially late. People keep ripping his +/- and it is bad, but everyone on this team is negative. He did have a season of +45 so its not like he can't play 5 on 5. Get him a coach and put him on the right line. Then decided

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
Nope, it's the unemotional view of someone who's watched his entire NHL career. You're living in denial my friend. Respect has nothing to do with this. This is about reality.

I couldn't disagree any more, i am not in denial since i watch every Caps game with my brother and half way between in each game after yet another calamitous piece of defending i am guaranteed to say 'this team blows'

I know what this team is and where they are at now but i know for a fact that Ovechkin is not what you say he is. Reigning league MVP and i'm pretty sure you weren't singing this tune when he was single handedly dragging the Caps into the playoffs exactly this time last year.

May i also remind you that once we got in the Rags keyed in on Ovi and no one else stepped up to help him out and create space for him, instead they stunk up the joint like a finely tuned GMGM constructed team.

Open your eyes, Ovi is not the problem. The GM and this tactically inept Coach are.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Ovie does nothing but score now, he can't carry the puck, he can't make a move anymore, he doesn't play defense, I haven't even seen a big hit in a long time. He's extremely one dimensional. Without our PP he would have only scored 20-30 goals. That's pathetic. However I blame a lot of that on Oates garbage coaching.

Hillen

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
The only reason we were even within sniffing range of the playoffs was because of Ovie on the PP. Think how many games he tied/won especially late. People keep ripping his +/- and it is bad, but everyone on this team is negative. He did have a season of +45 so its not like he can't play 5 on 5. Get him a coach and put him on the right line. Then decided

Thank you very much, now THIS i agree with.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
_1142321_linden300.jpg

SOON

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

I'm not advocating getting rid of him but having 9 million to play with would certainly help find a goal scorer.

Styles of play change when you remove players from it. Simply because the goal totals are disproportionately slanted towards OV doesn't mean that no one else is capable of scoring, it's partially a representation of our style of play. The guy hangs out at the blue line on defense, he has no other purpose other than to score, the entire team is oriented to feeding him pucks when he's on the ice. If he's not on the team the entire offensive outlook changes.

I'm not saying they wouldn't be worse. I'm saying give a competent GM 9 million to play with, give me a new coach, and this roster and they would be roughly in the same ball park.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

While this is true, it shouldn't excuse him from his awful play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad