Online Series: Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I hope this series largely stays away from Filoni's other series. I don't want to see Ashoka or Sabine or any of that cast of characters. I really kinda hate the "they all went to the same highschool" trope in Star Wars. It's part of what made the prequels so cringeworthy at times. Even Rogue One jamming in the Tatooine bar fighters was cringey. It's a giant universe, not every character should know every other character. I'm fine with some Easter eggs and name drops (similar to the bar scene in Solo where they name drop Aurra Sing), but I don't want a whole lot more than that.

I also have a distaste for both the Jedi mysticism and the Mandalorian plots of Filoni's animated series, so I have a lot to be anxious about here.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, that stuff should just have it's own series or be left as is. Sometimes when a story is finished, it's just finished.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Been getting praised so far by critics who have seen the first episode. They said it has a big movie feal/budget to it even though it's a TV show. Also said it feels like it fits in with the original trilogy when being watched. I don't have to much faith in The Rise of Skywalker but this show deff has me intrigued and ready to buy Disney plus just to watch it. The scene of him surrounded by stormtroopers and him drawing his blaster out gives me the chills. That helmet is perfect , the character has that mysterious aura to him like Bobba did in the original trilogy.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Been getting praised so far by critics who have seen the first episode. They said it has a big movie feal/budget to it even though it's a TV show. Also said it feels like it fits in with the original trilogy when being watched. I don't have to much faith in The Rise of Skywalker but this show deff has me intrigued and ready to buy Disney plus just to watch it. The scene of him surrounded by stormtroopers and him drawing his blaster out gives me the chills. That helmet is perfect , the character has that mysterious aura to him like Bobba did in the original trilogy.

I'm in a similar boat. The Rise of Skywalker doesn't excite me at all and I have no faith that I'll like it, but this series is intriguing and looks like something up my alley. It's described as a "space western" instead of "space fantasy," so I imagine that it's going to be more grounded and focus on blasters and physical combat rather than have a lot of space scenes, lightsabers and use of the Force (in fact, if there are no lightsabers or Force use in the series, I'll be most happy). That's one reason why Rogue One is the only new Star Wars film that I've enjoyed. Another is that it was set near the time period of the original trilogy, which this is also set. I like that this looks a bit gritty, real and violent, not shiny, bright, CGI heavy and family safe like the new trilogy films.

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm in a similar boat. The Rise of Skywalker doesn't excite me at all and I have no faith that I'll like it, but this series is intriguing and looks like something up my alley. It's described as a "space western" instead of "space fantasy," so I imagine that it's going to be more grounded and focus on blasters and physical combat rather than have a lot of space scenes, lightsabers and use of the Force (in fact, if there are no lightsabers or Force use in the series, I'll be most happy). That's one reason why Rogue One is the only new Star Wars film that I've enjoyed. Another is that it was set near the time period of the original trilogy, which this is also set. I like that this looks a bit gritty, real and violent, not shiny, bright, CGI heavy and family safe like the new trilogy films.

I read an article yesterday that said it is suppose to be like Star Wars horror...

It being in Disney+ I don’t know how violent it can get though.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It takes place a few years after ROTJ , I doubt there will be any jedi or force sensitive characters. I love his new ship that the main character uses in the show. Apparently they filmed its fucming scenes through space old school style using a tiny model ship with backgrounds and with no cgi.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It takes place a few years after ROTJ , I doubt there will be any jedi or force sensitive characters. I love his new ship that the main character uses in the show. Apparently they filmed its fucming scenes through space old school style using a tiny model ship with backgrounds and with no cgi.

???

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Wait so you can have body armour that actually stops/deflects blaster fire in Star Wars now? So what the heck are storm troopers wearing?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
2012:
tumblr_o9268dhPPF1sjbs7ao1_400.gif

2019:
bill-burr-the-mandalorian-1193530.jpeg

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
My inner Star Wars child just got excited to see that there are Trandoshans (the lizard race at 0:24) in this. I had a Trandoshan action figure in the 80s, even though the only time that you ever saw one was briefly standing next to Boba Fett in The Empire Strikes Back (gotta love the 80s merchandising machine). Also, one of my favorite games, Dark Forces (the Stars Wars DOOM clone), features them as one of the stronger enemies. I like that this show is incorporating old races like that instead of inventing new ones. It may be partly fan service, but it's the kind that I fully support.

Wait so you can have body armour that actually stops/deflects blaster fire in Star Wars now? So what the heck are storm troopers wearing?

I've always rationalized that stormtrooper armor absorbs the blast and takes the wearer out of the fight, but keeps him alive to fight another day. As such, it would still make sense to equip all of your soldiers with it. Maybe that's not what Lucas had in mind when he put stormtroopers in full armor and still made them go down with a single shot, but that's how I've rationalized it.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Did you miss the video I posted earlier on the page where he describes filming it and how awesome it was despite him not being a Star Wars fan?
No. I watched him talk about that on the H3 podcast before most people here heard about it. It's just amusing to actually see it in a finished form.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I've always rationalized that stormtrooper armor absorbs the blast and takes the wearer out of the fight, but keeps him alive to fight another day. As such, it would still make sense to equip all of your soldiers with it. Maybe that's not what Lucas had in mind when he put stormtroopers in full armor and still made them go down with a single shot, but that's how I've rationalized it.

Yeah I'm not sure what the broader EU says but I years ago I recall the novelization of the OT tries to explain the whole ewok beating storm trooper thing by saying the armour is designed to absorb the blast and as such provides little to no protection against pure blunt force.

Joking aside though a cool little detail if you pay attention through the trailer you see impact points/scorch marks in his armour from the places you see him take hits.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Mandalorian armor has always been able to do that. Stormtroopers were never meant to survive. They were expendable and meant to be in bulk to be intimidating.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Yeah, giving every storm trooper that kind of armor would definitely increase the operating costs of the Empire! Can't rule a galaxy with a red bottom line!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad