Online Series: Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
People in the fandom have repeatedly expressed a desire to see Star Wars move to TV and the most popular format for that was the more crime centric part of Star Wars we only saw glimpses of in the films. So the vehicle for that is bounty hunting, and sure. The image of a Mandalorian is familiar.

But having a similar mask does not make it the same thing. It doesn't represent an identical plot to what was done in prior films. We don't know what the plot is going to be like. But as to your comparison let me offer a classic logical reasoning "equation":

X is a Y, not all Y's are X. Robert De Niro is an actor. Not all actors are Robert De Niro. Boba Fett is a Mandalorian. Not all Mandalorians are Boba Fett.

All you've done is see a familiar mask and assume that this will just be a Boba Fett story. It's not. There's room here to create something new or at least expand on a concept that only got teased previously within the franchise's universe with new plotlines. You assume that just because Boba Fett existed in Episodes 5 and 6 (with the smallest of cameos in the edited version of 4) that everything that could be done with a Mandalorian bounty hunter has been done already. That any possible plotlines and world building around a guy wearing a similar mask will just be rehashing the same story beats. That's absurd. That's like saying Game of Thrones was a bad idea because we saw guys with swords fighting in a medieval setting already in Lord of the Rings. Why make The Dark Knight when we already had other Batmans? Why hire another James Bond actor after Connery was done? Why even make any Bond sequels? We've already seen the gentleman international spy foil a superbaddy once, why do we need to see it again? How could it possibly be different.

Yes. There are so few new ideas, but it doesn't even matter. People want so few surprises and so few changes. Hollywood studios just churn out old things presenting them as new, and people just eat them up.

Also Nostalgia is so powerful to many people. You can't lose.

Give us a new Superman ever 2 years!

Doesn't anyone feel that they've already seen The Mandalorian already? Oh a tv series? Now that's fresh!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yes. There are so few new ideas, but it doesn't even matter. People want so few surprises and so few changes. Hollywood studios just churn out old things presenting them as new, and people just eat them up.

Doesn't anyone feel that they've already seen The Mandalorian already? Oh a tv series? Now that's fresh!

Nope.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Okay dude. You're right. Stand up comedians should only release one special. Bands should never put out more than one album. Sequels should never be made for anything including books. And people should not be even remotely excited for a Star Wars TV show regardless of whether or not it's well made.

See, I understand wanting to make the lack of originality argument because I make it fairly often too. But I don't go so far as to say that certain franchises can never expand beyond one or three films. Or those same franchises expanding into TV. Your problem is you don't want to see past familiar iconography and assume that nothing about this show can be fresh within a familiar universe. It's actually getting rather immature at this point and I'm losing the patience to respond.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Looks awesome. Something that looks appealing even to non Star Wars fans like myself. Ease up, critical nerds.

Reactions: NyQuil

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This looks like it could be really good!

The only thing original I see in this trailer is the stormtrooper helmets collected and displayed like impaled bodies (like Vlad the Impaler - Dracula). Vlad did this to instill fear and show that he's merciless. Is the protagonist in The Mandalorian merciless? The other parts of the preview look kind of like gratuitous violence for action movie fans. Star Wars meets The Bourne Legacy.

Poor.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
What in the actual f*** is going on? :laugh:

It's people like this who can drag down entire threads. Just ignore the person already -- they're either purposefully being difficult or aren't worthy to engage in conversation. Not worth the effort or attention.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Meh, I'm a bit Star Wars'ed out at this point. And I also have 0 faith in Disney not running this franchise into the ground.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I was like "meh...."
I read the thread, I was like "wtf, more nerds fighting"
I watched the trailer, I was like "what? Herzog in the Star Wars universe?! Take my money!"

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Hoping we might see more Mandalorians in that than just the title figure. The world shown in Clone Wars and Rebels seemed very interesting.

With Filoni involved I can almost guarantee some of the stuff from TCW and Rebels shows up in this series, even if it's just dropping a name or something that only those familiar with those shows would recognize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->