Movies: Star Wars: Rogue One Part II Release date Dec 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Even with the negative score, I still don't agree that the characters being supposedly flat and shallow were a negative. I just thought that the second half was not enough to make up for the weak and meandering first half, after initially having a positive impression solely on that strength of that second half. Too many glaring weaknesses just kept creeping up on me.

I don't even know how a person could think the first half was meandering. Very linear plot.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't even know how a person could think the first half was meandering. Very linear plot.
You're right, meandering probably isn't the right word. It just felt like it was unsure of itself and going through the motions in a lackadaisical way, with any attempt at anything feeling random/awkward/off.

Last edited:

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

I thought the second half was slow and tedious... could've axed 20 min out of the second half and I wouldn't miss it. First half was great.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
With 2 days left in 2016 (Today and Tommorrow) it appears Rogue One will finish #2 for year at Domestic Box office

1) Finding Dory = 486.2M
2) Captain America: Civil War = 408M
3) Rogue One: A Star Wars story = 375.3M

Will pass Captain America likely at some point Saturday early afternoon

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
With 2 days left in 2016 (Today and Tommorrow) it appears Rogue One will finish #2 for year at Domestic Box office

1) Finding Dory = 486.2M
2) Captain America: Civil War = 408M
3) Rogue One: A Star Wars story = 375.3M

Will pass Captain America likely at some point Saturday early afternoon

In other news Disney is controlling the world

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
In other news Disney is controlling the world

Well that's domestic, not global, but yeah even still :laugh:

Speaking of global box office I'm curious how Rogue One is doing in China. I could care less really, but I don't think it's a coincidence that after The Force Awakens did really poorly there that Disney cast two big name Chinese actors for Rogue One.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
As a fan of all things horror, Peter Cushing is one of my all time favorite actors. But, as I am only 33, Being able to "see" him *in* a movie, *in* a theatre for what was literally the first time gave me chills.

Also, OT: If you wanna watch one of the best worst movies ever made that he was in, go check out 1974's "The Beast Must Die"

Trust me, if you like campy ****, you will not be disappointed :laugh:

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Well that's domestic, not global, but yeah even still :laugh: Speaking of global box office I'm curious how Rogue One is doing in China. I could care less really, but I don't think it's a coincidence that after The Force Awakens did really poorly there that Disney cast two big name Chinese actors for Rogue One.

1 Avatar Fox $2,788.0 $760.5 27.3% $2,027.5 72.7% 2009^
2 Titanic Par. $2,186.8 $658.7 30.1% $1,528.1 69.9% 1997^
3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $2,068.2 $936.7 45.3% $1,131.6 54.7% 2015
4 Jurassic World Uni. $1,670.4 $652.3 39.0% $1,018.1 61.0% 2015
5 Marvel's The Avengers
BV $1,518.8 $623.4 41.0% $895.5 59.0% 2012
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

I was curious what the all time top 5 worldwide are and this is Mojo's opinion.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Speaking of global box office I'm curious how Rogue One is doing in China. I could care less really, but I don't think it's a coincidence that after The Force Awakens did really poorly there that Disney cast two big name Chinese actors for Rogue One.

Force Awakens was huge hit in China

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/star-wars-force-awakens-china-box-office-1201676179/

It had a 33M opening day in China

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Tarkin seriously reminded me of that Clone Wars tv show. Would've been better if they'd created another Imperial social climber that the CGI Tarkin could waste in the last bit of the movie. Then it wouldn't have been so obvious.

Most viewers that aren't huge Star Wars fans couldn't even tell Leia or Tarken were CGI. My dad and a few others didn't know they were until I told them after.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Force Awakens did not do as well in China as expected. It was the 12th highest grossing film at the Chinese box office for that year, which was relatively disappointing for Disney.

hocky

Apr 8, 2011
This movie needed to slow way down. Felt like it was just trying to jump from one big scene to the next. I don't care what's happening to these people if I don't get to know them. Backstory is not a substitute for actual character development.

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
Even with the negative score, I still don't agree that the characters being supposedly flat and shallow were a negative. I just thought that the second half was not enough to make up for the weak and meandering first half, after initially having a positive impression solely on that strength of that second half. Too many glaring weaknesses just kept creeping up on me.

I keep on thinking of how they could have made the first half better, maybe by combining saw and cassian's characters together, foregoing the need for needless world jumping?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen were already part of the cast of Rogue One several months before TFA was released.
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-rogue-one-photo-cast-d23/

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
My main problem was it felt like there were too many characters that were introduced with basically no backstory beyond one sentence(he raised Jyn after her father was taken, after their temple was lost they've stuck around to cause trouble, etc).

I liked the characters, but it's hard to have any emotional connection when you basically know nothing about them.

I feel like they would have been better off cutting a few characters/planets and spent more time on some backstory.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Still blows my mind how well they were able to CGI Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher.

Yes! At first Cushing looked strange but then it settled in. I like this movie and I was highly critical of TFA for having more of it's own story.

Ending was great - have no complaints. I hope they do the same type of job with the next one. Seeing it yesterday with that final scene can leave you a bit choked up.

Also loved how the bar Thug from a ANH ran in to her earlier in the movie.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
My main problem was it felt like there were too many characters that were introduced with basically no backstory beyond one sentence(he raised Jyn after her father was taken, after their temple was lost they've stuck around to cause trouble, etc).

I liked the characters, but it's hard to have any emotional connection when you basically know nothing about them.

I feel like they would have been better off cutting a few characters/planets and spent more time on some backstory.

You don't need to know anything more about them than what we got. You know where they were before this and you know why they're doing what they are.

Jyn is, of course, the daughter of the guy who designs the Death Star. Her motivation shifts from simply finding her father to righting his wrongs.

Cassian has been a rebel all his life and is simply devoted to the cause. Probably too devoted. His motivation does shift from blind loyalty to a loyalty both to Jyn and to the fulfillment of his devotion.

Bodhi is an Imperial pilot trying to square himself with his conscience.

Chirrut and Baze were guardians of the temple who see Jyn's cause as a continuation of their beliefs.

Those are the main characters. What more do you need than the knowledge of what I just laid out, which was patently laid out for us in the movie?

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
I saw this Friday night, and really liked it. My biggest concern going in was that it somehow wouldn't fit in with a movie that was made in 1977, but this fit perfectly. The universe felt like the same one established in the OT.

I thought the Tarkin CGI was great. JMO, but the complaints about Tarkin really highlight the no-win situation CGI faces with modern audiences. It can be done really well and if people think it looks like CGI, they immediately think its crap. You know what looks fake as hell? The Hoth battle in pre-Special Edition ESB, but nobody complains that it looks like matchbox models crashing into the snow.

I thought the characters were fine, they served their purpose. I think they were supposed to be secondary to the story anyway.

My biggest joy however, is seeing stuff established in the OT be reinforced rather than have to do mental gymnastics to make it fit. I know this is how it should be, and the movie in and of itself shouldn't get credit for doing something its supposed to do. But after the debacle the prequels made of events and things we were told in the OT, it gave me much joy to see stuff actually fit and make sense with what we were given in ANH.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You don't need to know anything more about them than what we got. You know where they were before this and you know why they're doing what they are.

Jyn is, of course, the daughter of the guy who designs the Death Star. Her motivation shifts from simply finding her father to righting his wrongs.

Cassian has been a rebel all his life and is simply devoted to the cause. Probably too devoted. His motivation does shift from blind loyalty to a loyalty both to Jyn and to the fulfillment of his devotion.

Bodhi is an Imperial pilot trying to square himself with his conscience.

Chirrut and Baze were guardians of the temple who see Jyn's cause as a continuation of their beliefs.

Those are the main characters. What more do you need than the knowledge of what I just laid out, which was patently laid out for us in the movie?

The biggest flaw with the characters is that they have informed attributes. We are told a number of the characters are a certain way at the start of the movie without being shown that they are that way, and then they "develop" into the way they are in the rest of the movie after a scene or two. It's lazy writing and bad storytelling, and definitely not character development when we are never shown that they act anywhere close to their original informed attributes. As the characters have no development and come off like stock archetypes, it's very difficult to care about them in any way and as such their deaths have no impact.

Show, don't tell. Unfortunately this is a common flaw with mediocre and bad movies.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I saw this Friday night, and really liked it. My biggest concern going in was that it somehow wouldn't fit in with a movie that was made in 1977, but this fit perfectly. The universe felt like the same one established in the OT.

I thought the Tarkin CGI was great. JMO, but the complaints about Tarkin really highlight the no-win situation CGI faces with modern audiences. It can be done really well and if people think it looks like CGI, they immediately think its crap. You know what looks fake as hell? The Hoth battle in pre-Special Edition ESB, but nobody complains that it looks like matchbox models crashing into the snow.

I thought the characters were fine, they served their purpose. I think they were supposed to be secondary to the story anyway.

My biggest joy however, is seeing stuff established in the OT be reinforced rather than have to do mental gymnastics to make it fit. I know this is how it should be, and the movie in and of itself shouldn't get credit for doing something its supposed to do. But after the debacle the prequels made of events and things we were told in the OT, it gave me much joy to see stuff actually fit and make sense with what we were given in ANH.

It was done very well and you have to wonder if people didn't know before hand how their reaction would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad