Movies: Star Wars: Rogue One Part II Release date Dec 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That's what I was thinking unless they got away for a while and assumed another Star Destroyer picked them up. Anyways, I don't think she should have been at the battle, all signs in ANH point to her just receiving the plans. Again I would have had the plans transmitting to her a bit away from the battle, she gets going - light speed fails or something and boom a ANH. It bothers me that nobody producing the movie thinks about the beginning of ANH here.

So the other option is a bit of time passed and they caught up with her. She didn't know Vader had slaughtered a bunch of people which is strange because they were running the Death Star plans relay to get them to her.

I kind of wish they would have taken some cues from the radio drama. I always thought they did a pretty decent job of explaining what happened just before what we see in the movie. It also would have explained the lines about it being a consular ship, mercy missions, plans being beamed aboard, etc. better.

Although it probably wouldn't have made for a very entertaining 2 hour war movie.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Watched it on Tuesday & thought it was very good.Good to see some familiar characters as well as the new ones.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm genuinely surprised to see the amount of positive reaction to this movie. They took a bunch of uninteresting characters with uninteresting stories and forced it into an uninteresting film. Also, the ripoff of Groot with the funny, much taller, much stronger robot that sacrificed himself to save his friends was too annoying to get over.

The final battle scene was very well done, and that Vader scene...:scared:

Completely forgettable movie that I have no desire to see again. It didn't need to be made and like I predicted in the earlier version of this thread, the movie was based on a totally ancillary story and it showed. I don't care about the extended Star Wars universe unless it's Vader. Watching rebels getting curb stomped by AT-AT's and blown up by Tie-Fighters was something that happened in the main movies so often it became background/filler entertainment for the main storyline.

They made a movie about filler material and it resulted in something hallow that does nothing more than cash in on a brand name.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm genuinely surprised to see the amount of positive reaction to this movie. They took a bunch of uninteresting characters with uninteresting stories and forced it into an uninteresting film. Also, the ripoff of Groot with the funny, much taller, much stronger robot that sacrificed himself to save his friends was too annoying to get over.

Completely forgettable movie that I have no desire to see again. It didn't need to be made and like I predicted in the earlier version of this thread, the movie was based on a totally ancillary story and it showed. I don't care about the extended Star Wars universe unless it's Vader. Watching rebels getting curb stomped by AT-AT's and blown up by Tie-Fighters was something that happened in the main movies so often it became background/filler entertainment for the main storyline.

They made a movie about filler material and it resulted in something hallow that does nothing more than cash in on a brand name.

:skeptic:

What? Is Groot a rip off of Chewbacca then?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Maybe I'm off but that's the first thing I thought of when I heard the robot make a quirky joke after helping them. Especially now that Disney owns Marvel and Star Wars. Doesn't seem too far of a reach to think some exec said "Everyone loved Groot in Guardians of the Galaxy, put a Groot in this Star Wars movie too".

Just seemed to obvious to me

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Watched it the other night and really enjoyed it. Liked the sarcastic robot and knew right away people were going to have a problem with it.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Maybe I'm off but that's the first thing I thought of when I heard the robot make a quirky joke after helping them. Especially now that Disney owns Marvel and Star Wars. Doesn't seem too far of a reach to think some exec said "Everyone loved Groot in Guardians of the Galaxy, put a Groot in this Star Wars movie too".

Because Star Wars has never had droids with personality to act as comedic relief before.:sarcasm:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

If anything he was Drax.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland

I'm convinced you don't have the slightest idea what filler is.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Just saw it again.

Episode VII was a better re-watch. Much better.

Still think Rogue One was solid but yeah, lots of fat the movie could have done without.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Just saw it again.

Episode VII was a better re-watch. Much better.

Still think Rogue One was solid but yeah, lots of fat the movie could have done without.

Force awakens is a very good thrill ride type movie. Doesn't take breaks, something is always happening from the start.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
And some great shots+lines that were inexplicably cut.

From the trailers? The only shot from the trailers I was disappointed in not seeing was the shot of the TIE fighter popping up on the catwalk Jyn was walking out on, and apparently that was just a test shot to begin with. Oh, and the shot of the stormtroopers in the water looked kind of cool as well. As for the lines, I thought some of the ones from the trailers were kind of cringeworthy, so I was fine with them being cut.

It is going to be interesting when the "Making of Rogue One" book comes out to see how much changed in the reshoots though.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Just watched The Force Awakens again yesterday. It had been awhile since I saw it and wanted to compare it to Rogue One.

I kind of forgot just how weak TFA is. Lots of problems. It's a very disposable film. Its overly emotionally characters made Rogue One's stale characters seem not as bad.

I'd say both movies are about equal. Very mediocre. I hope they get things turned around with episode 8.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
'Rogue One' opens to tepid $31 million in China

Underscoring how perhaps The Force was not particularly strong with this country, "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" opened to a fairly tepid $31 million over three days at the Chinese box office this weekend, according to comScore.

That was about 60 percent of what "Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens" grossed in its first two days in the country a year ago, comScore said.
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/08/rogue-one-opens-to-tepid-31-million-in-china.html

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It probably had too many asians and not enough white people in the cast amirite????

:sarcasm:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

It also lost the domestic weekend box office this past weekend to Hidden Figures. This was the last bit of school holidays, so, it will probably fade out quick enough. It actually overtook both A New Hope and The Phantom Menace for unadjusted domestic box office on the weekend, and will soon overtake Finding Dory as biggest 2016 release. Due to the poor China numbers, it probably won't overtake Civil War as the biggest international box office release.

Still a huge box office run though. I'm sure Disney is more than satisfied. I think the franchise will just not be that popular in China though, but will still reliably be a billion dollar hit every time it pumps out a film for the foreseeable future.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Chinese were never really exposed to the original trilogy.

Since these films a very reliant on nostalgia, and can't really stand on their own, it makes sense that don't appeal as much to the Chinese market despite Disney's massive marketing campaign there.

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
Chinese cinema numbers in general are incredibly dodgy. Sometimes movies there are reported as big hits that don't sell much in the way of actual tickets. I find the focus to be overrated.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The only thing good about this movie was the Vader scene and the music.

Also liked the Stardestroyer plan from admiral Akbars cousin or something.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Saw it today... Could have been great but only passable.

Boring characters doing boring things. Vader scene was sweet though, jej sounded different but I guess he is in his 80s now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad