Movies: Star Wars: Rogue One Part II Release date Dec 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
ROTS 3 out of 10?
You gotta be kidding. The hypocrysie of the Jedi Order is fully exposed in the movie and its probably the movie that explain the most the power of the dark side. Other than poor CGI its an amazing movie.
It was garbage. And prob Accurate being 3/10

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You put ROTJ above ESB, and ESB the worst of the OT?

Damn.

It's a matter of perspective. To the adult eye ESB could be the best of the OT. To the child's eye though it's probably the least.

Personally my perspective for ranking the stories is all screwed up. Watched the OT plenty of times as a kid/teen but the last viewing may have been 20 years ago, then only saw each of the prequel trilogy once. They were fun but forgettable. To give them a proper ranking now I'd need to go through the whole series again, but if I were to be honest how I have it at the moment would be:

ANH
RotJ
TFA
ESB
RO
RotS
AotC
TPM

Like I said take it with a grain of salt, I'm going a lot on childish nostalgia... and I really liked TFA.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Return Of The Jedi was always well regarded. Then the prequels happened.

The backlash against ROTJ coincided with the backlash against the prequels and Lucas. Prior to that, Lucas was kind of an infallible figure.

Siskel and Ebert reviewing Return Of The Jedi in 1983:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
For me...

ESB
ANH
ROTJ
TFA
RO
ROTS
TPM
AOTC

The OT is too much a part of my childhood, and what really got me into the sci-fi genre (even though Star Wars is more space fantasy than actual sci-fi) to put any of the newer films ahead of them.

I am more forgiving of the prequels than most though. I know they're not well made films at all, but I do still enjoy the story Lucas was trying to tell. He just did a really poor job of executing it.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
It was garbage. And prob Accurate being 3/10
It's IMO one of the best star wars movie. It's the only star wars that fully expose the power of the dark side. ANH must be the most overrated Star Wars movie ever. I just recently watched both Revenge of the Sith and a new hope before and after watching Rogue one. A new hope has maybe one or two good scene, the rest is boring as hell but I also understand that it was probably the movie with the lowest production budget.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It's IMO one of the best star wars movie. It's the only star wars that fully expose the power of the dark side. ANH must be the most overrated Star Wars movie ever. I just recently watched both Revenge of the Sith and a new hope before and after watching Rogue one. A new hope has maybe one or two good scene, the rest is boring as hell but I also understand that it was probably the movie with the lowest production budget.

You have to put it in some context. ANH is a movie making miracle. A special film.

I can understand why a younger person or someone newer to Star Wars would think ANH is "boring" but it's amazing for what it is.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I might be the only person who likes Attack Of The Clones (minus the love story **** and Christiensen's acting)

Maybe it's because I was 11 when it came out, but I was 8 when TPM came out and I don't like that nearly as much as I did then after realizing all of the problems with it, so IDK (And JarJar is less annoying when you're 8).

No. You shouldn't do this.

I know this might get accused of hyperbole. But I'm dead series when I say the following.

Saying "You know... Attack of the Clones wasn't that bad... it had some good scenes" is literally as bad as saying "You know... Hitler wasn't that bad... he did some good things." Even if you actually think either of those things, you shouldn't say it out loud. You should keep it to yourself.

I understand differing opinions. Some of us think ANH is better than ROTJ, and vice versa. But what you're saying has nothing to do with opinion. There are no opinions on AOTC's. It was terrible. The end. And you're wrong. The end.

I'm not even kidding when I say this... but you should write an apology post... that is, if the mods don't ban you before then.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Saw the movie tonight, very good. I always liked the episodes 1-3, think they get too much hate. Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith were great. I think too many people were biased against them due to the fact that were comparing them to how good the originals were.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Saw the movie tonight, very good. I always liked the episodes 1-3, think they get too much hate. Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith were great. I think too many people were biased against them due to the fact that were comparing them to how good the originals were.

The prequels were terrible movies

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

You'll never capture the same nostalgia value, but why shouldn't one expect the prequel trilogy to at least be close in quality to the originals?

All the bias here was against George Lucas, and for good reason. To put it simply, Star Wars is George's baby but the OT was created as a collaborative effort. 15-20 years later, Lucas has taking a self inflating revisionist history on the creation of Star Wars thinking it was all him, and that's how The Phantom Menace got made.

In a sense they were okay movies, but the fans really deserved better here.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Some bias surely exists with the prequels, but it leans harder in the opposite direction, IMO. In reality, they should have faded away into obscurity like other irredeemably bad movies such as the ones that Uwe Boll makes, but because it's Star Wars, you'll find a few apologists still defending it.

But if you can argue that these are good movies, then you can argue that just about any movie is good if you lower your standards enough. Like "Hey, crappy romantic comedies don't ENTIRELY make me want to blow my brains out-- That's something, right?"

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You'll never capture the same nostalgia value, but why shouldn't one expect the prequel trilogy to at least be close in quality to the originals?

All the bias here was against George Lucas, and for good reason. To put it simply, Star Wars is George's baby but the OT was created as a collaborative effort. 15-20 years later, Lucas has taking a self inflating revisionist history on the creation of Star Wars thinking it was all him, and that's how The Phantom Menace got made.

In a sense they were okay movies, but the fans really deserved better here.

Can't agree with your post more, my thoughts exactly. The OT was created by a lot of different people with significant input all around. All you need to do is watch the behind the scenes footage from TPM to see that it was Lucas with a bunch of yes men surrounding him that gave nothing but praise for everything he came up with. The OT wasn't made in that way at all, there were disagreements, dissenting opinions, and a lot of the iconic things Star Wars is known for were not created by Lucas.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Finally got around to seeing it tonight.

I dunno. Kinda meh with it. Liked it better than the last one they did, but it's still in between. Not as good as the OT and better than the PT.

Liked that they kept the OT aesthetic with everything looking lived in and used. Didn't like the CGI Tarkin (really didn't like that) and during the last battle scene they forgot to add some textures to the Star Destroyers. They actually looked like models when they were crashing together.

Think I caught most of the references and easter eggs.

Can't agree with your post more, my thoughts exactly. The OT was created by a lot of different people with significant input all around. All you need to do is watch the behind the scenes footage from TPM to see that it was Lucas with a bunch of yes men surrounding him that gave nothing but praise for everything he came up with. The OT wasn't made in that way at all, there were disagreements, dissenting opinions, and a lot of the iconic things Star Wars is known for were not created by Lucas.

The OT had Lucas surrounded by good people who actually made contributions.

The PT had Lucas surrounded by "Yessir, right away sir Mr Lucas sir!"

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope

Rogue One
The Force Awakens

Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Bit of movement after letting Rogue One sit for a few weeks. Didn't hold up well.

1. The Empire Strikes Back - 3.5 (Great)
2. A New Hope - 3.0 (Very Good)
3. Return of the Jedi - 1.5 (Neutral)
4. Rogue One - 1.0 (Negative)
5. The Force Awakens - 1.0 (Negative)
6. The Phantom Menace - 0.0 (Terrible)
7. Revenge of the Sith - 0.0 (Terrible)
8. Attack of the Clones - 0.0- (Beyond Terrible)

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Did you give AOTC a negative zero rating? :laugh:

I'm watching Revenge of the Sith right now (40 minutes in) and it's pretty entertaining. Some over the top action (why did Dooku have to do a flip over the stairs to confront Anakin and Obi?) and some bad acting ("Missiles. Look out."), but overall enjoyable.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
George Lucas was a filmmaker that did not care about dialogue and performance quality. When you are making a film that requires both of those things to work, you are already threading water at best. Then there was all the unnecessary ******** sprinkled in all over the place. One of my favorite examples was that chase scene in Coruscant, where they randomly pass this generator of some kind that had terrible CGI without adding anything noteworthy to the sequence.

Only thing I praise the prequels for is the framework of the main plotline, which does have the sort of ambition that could have resulted in a dramatic emotional payoff........but it didn't.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Did you give AOTC a negative zero rating? :laugh:

I'm watching Revenge of the Sith right now (40 minutes in) and it's pretty entertaining. Some over the top action (why did Dooku have to do a flip over the stairs to confront Anakin and Obi?) and some bad acting ("Missiles. Look out."), but overall enjoyable.
I've gotten into the habit of giving 5.0+ to my favorites among favorites, so I figured what the hell-- the other two don't deserve to be lumped with it. AOTC is one of the movies that, on top of having no redeeming qualities, actually actively makes you want to gauge your own eyes out. I think I might actually rather watch Batman and Robin over it-- at least that one can be fun to laugh at.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Bit of movement after letting Rogue One sit for a few weeks. Didn't hold up well.

1. The Empire Strikes Back - 3.5 (Great)
2. A New Hope - 3.0 (Very Good)
3. Return of the Jedi - 1.5 (Neutral)
4. Rogue One - 1.0 (Negative)
5. The Force Awakens - 1.0 (Negative)
6. The Phantom Menace - 0.0 (Terrible)
7. Revenge of the Sith - 0.0 (Terrible)
8. Attack of the Clones - 0.0- (Beyond Terrible)

Rogue One was better on the second viewing for me than the first. The first time, I could sympathize with the complaints about it. On a second viewing, I don't even agree that the characters were flat and shallow.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Saw it last night. Certainly better than The Force Awakens imo. Probably my favourite of any of the Star Wars movie. But this is coming from someone who has never really bought the notion that any of the Star War films are particularly good.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Rogue One was better on the second viewing for me than the first. The first time, I could sympathize with the complaints about it. On a second viewing, I don't even agree that the characters were flat and shallow.
Even with the negative score, I still don't agree that the characters being supposedly flat and shallow were a negative. I just thought that the second half was not enough to make up for the weak and meandering first half, after initially having a positive impression solely on that strength of that second half. Too many glaring weaknesses just kept creeping up on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad