Movies: Star Wars: Rogue One Part II Release date Dec 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
A little late to the party but just saw this...

I agree with many that the first two acts felt cluttered. But it was all worth it with that third act. That third act is possibly my favourite 40 minutes in the entire Star Wars franchise.

I see people complaining about too many easter eggs... but those were just for the extreme fanatics. Probably around 5% of viewers. I enjoy the Star Wars movies, and have seen them all more than once, and I only picked up one or two of those easter eggs.

I seem to rank this franchise far differently than others, but my list is:

1. rotj (don't know why this gets so much hate)
2. esb
3. Rogue
4. anh/tfa (I refuse to view these as two separate movies)
5. rots
6. tfm
7. aotc

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
ROTJ gets hate almost entirely because of the Ewoks. The film still has hands down one of the best space battles put to film and best of all it was done with just using practical effects.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
ROTJ gets hate almost entirely because of the Ewoks. The film still has hands down one of the best space battles put to film and best of all it was done with just using practical effects.

It also has horrible pacing.

It isn't a good movie, it just has some great highs.

Also Rogue One definitely has the best space battle in the franchise.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Watched this today. I liked it but I didn't come out of it thinking "ZOMG AMAZING!" after the way the way some friends of mine were hyping it up. Not sure if I like it more than TFA or not. Will need to rewatch.

Was definitely a little clunky in the beginning and I don't see the point of the two asian guys. The blind guy didn't seem "star warsy" at all. If that makes sense.

Vader kicking ass at the end was great though. Also K2 GOAT.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
1 - esb 9/10
2 - rotj 8/10
3 - anh 7.5/10
4 - ro 6/10
5 - tfa 5.5/10
6 - tpm 4/10
7 - rots 3/10
8 - aotc 2/10

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
1 - esb 9/10
2 - rotj 8/10
3 - anh 7.5/10
4 - ro 6/10
5 - tfa 5.5/10
6 - tpm 4/10
7 - rots 3/10
8 - aotc 2/10

ROTS 3 out of 10?
You gotta be kidding. The hypocrysie of the Jedi Order is fully exposed in the movie and its probably the movie that explain the most the power of the dark side. Other than poor CGI its an amazing movie.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The last 40 minutes saved the movie. The battle scene was awesome. Made for a decent popcorn flick, at least.

Without it, you'd have a pretty dull movie bouncing around between seemingly random characters and planets with very little backstory.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
First part seems iffy considering how ballsy they were with The Lion King.

Second part: movies are not structured in nearly the same way as movies. How often do you see movie series pass three parts?

Yeah I think it's likely more coincidence, but just a thought

Second part I think you had a typo there, but I think this is an issue where yes that's the standard but it doesn't necessarily have to be the norm. Most movies aren't interesting enough to keep making more and more of them. Star Wars isn't one of those.

There are books that get the job done in a few hundred pages, and there are some that are massive tomes extend through multiple volumes. It ended up that way because the production cost of movies are so high, but they don't necessarily have to be shoehorned into single volume framework.

Oct 18, 2006
I seem to be virtually all alone. Loved the last 40 odd minutes as did everyone, but I loved it until that point. Had no problems with pacing, with the build-up, anything. I was hooked and there was more than enough action and good dialogue to well and truly keep me entertained.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
I seem to be virtually all alone. Loved the last 40 odd minutes as did everyone, but I loved it until that point. Had no problems with pacing, with the build-up, anything. I was hooked and there was more than enough action and good dialogue to well and truly keep me entertained.

I too loved the movie and was shocked at the negative reaction online. I was just wowed by the movie and thought it did a great job setting up A New Hope and explaining some of the background.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Finally saw this last night. I really enjoyed it. It's amazing how great it is to see the Star Wars universe on screen.

There were some clichés and tropes scattered about, but the characters overall were fun and well portrayed to help overcome that.

From a box office perspective, about 2 weeks into its run, this film is holding up as expected. It's actually declining a little quicker than Force Awakens did, but, next week, most kids are still off school, where last year, they were heading back the first week in January. Rogue One will likely perform well into next week. It also helps that the other big action oriented films have disappointed (Passengers, Assassins Creed). The final gross will like end up between $500 to $600 million. It will make a Star Wars movie the biggest release of the year for the last 2 years, with the next few years looking the same (episodes 8 and 9, Solo prequel).

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yeah I think it's likely more coincidence, but just a thought

Second part I think you had a typo there, but I think this is an issue where yes that's the standard but it doesn't necessarily have to be the norm. Most movies aren't interesting enough to keep making more and more of them. Star Wars isn't one of those.
Even interesting movies would get stale after too many iterations. Considering Disney just went back to ANH to do Episode VII, how many clever ideas do they have to keep the story fresh?

There are books that get the job done in a few hundred pages, and there are some that are massive tomes extend through multiple volumes. It ended up that way because the production cost of movies are so high, but they don't necessarily have to be shoehorned into single volume framework.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with this.

ROTS 3 out of 10?
You gotta be kidding. The hypocrysie of the Jedi Order is fully exposed in the movie and its probably the movie that explain the most the power of the dark side. Other than poor CGI its an amazing movie.

It was far from amazing. It was maybe competent but was terribly flawed in a lot of ways.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Saw it yesterday and I loved how dark it was.

[SPOIL]There was a huge smile on my face when Senator Organa showed up and later on the hint of Obi Wan put another huge smile on my face.

That was without a doubt the best space battle in the Star Wars franchise besting the opening scene from ROTS.

Seeing the two characters that Luke encounters in the bar seen in their younger years on Jedha was awesome.

Seeing Vader at his true nature at the end had me acting like a kid, along with seeing him on Mustafar again :)

Then the ending seeing Vader on the edge of the ship and seeing Leia's ship take off and then seeing Leia again and now that's she passed away made me pretty emotional.[/SPOIL]

After seeing it my rankings would be:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Rogue One
3. Return of the Jedi
4. A New Hope
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Force Awakens
7. Attack of the Clones
8. Phantom Menace

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Even interesting movies would get stale after too many iterations. Considering Disney just went back to ANH to do Episode VII, how many clever ideas do they have to keep the story fresh?

I'm not sure what you are getting at with this.

I added up the run times, there is 17:43 hours of Star Wars movies. Putting it into perspective that's on par with two seasons of Game of Thrones.

The whole point I'm getting at is if you have an environment that's open for a whole lot of storytelling (like the Star Wars universe), you shouldn't get burned out for a long time with a new 2 hour movie every year. Just because movies normally don't do this, as they aren't set up for it, doesn't mean it can't be done.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'd have to go:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Force Awakens
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Attack of the Clones

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Mine would be:

2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. Rogue One
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Attack of the Clones
8. The Phantom Menace

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Empire Strikes Back - 10/10
A New Hope - 10/10
Rogue One - 8.5/10
The Force Awakens - 8/10

Revenge of the Sith
- 7/10
Return of the Jedi - 7/10

The Phantom Menace - 2/10
Attack of the Clones - 0/10

I don't have a particularly high opinion (I mean, they're fine I think) of RotJ or RotS and think they're interchangeable.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I added up the run times, there is 17:43 hours of Star Wars movies. Putting it into perspective that's on par with two seasons of Game of Thrones.

The whole point I'm getting at is if you have an environment that's open for a whole lot of storytelling (like the Star Wars universe), you shouldn't get burned out for a long time with a new 2 hour movie every year. Just because movies normally don't do this, as they aren't set up for it, doesn't mean it can't be done.

But movies as a format are set up differently, period. And for good reason. It just isn't a feasible option because when a movie ends you expect there to be a conclusion to the main plot. A season of any show doesn't conclude the main plot every two episodes.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
1 - A New Hope
2 - Return Of The Jedi*
3 - Empire Strikes Back

4 - Revenge Of The Sith**
5 - The Force Awakens
6 - Rogue One

7 - The Phantom Menace

8- Attack Of The Clones

*If we're talking Special Edition, then ROTJ is the worst of the OT, otherwise it's the second best of the the OT just behind ANH IMO.
**A bad movie that's strangely watchable. There are many terrible/embarrassing moments in ROTS, but overall it has reasonable entertainment value.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
You put ROTJ above ESB, and ESB the worst of the OT?

Damn.

ESB
ANH
ROTJ

TFA

RO

ROTJ

TPM

AOTC

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm glad to see how many people have AOTC last. What a giant pile of **** that movie is.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I'd have to go:

2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Force Awakens
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Attack of the Clones

This is my exact list.

I don't get the hate for ROTJ.

Sydney Cosby

Apr 13, 2016
1-Empire Strikes back
2-A New Hope
3-The Force Awakens
4- Rogue One
5- The Star Wars Christmas Special
6- Return of the Jedi
7- Revenge of the Sith
8- The Phantom Menace
9- Attack of the Clones

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I might be the only person who likes Attack Of The Clones (minus the love story **** and Christiensen's acting)

Maybe it's because I was 11 when it came out, but I was 8 when TPM came out and I don't like that nearly as much as I did then after realizing all of the problems with it, so IDK (And JarJar is less annoying when you're 8).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad