Movies: Star Wars: Rogue One Part II Release date Dec 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Speak for yourself. There is basically a ~30 year gap between movies. Meaning we missed Vader in his late 20's-Late 50's or something along those lines. Hell they could easily do a trilogy, one movie for every decade.

No clue where you and others are getting this "30-year gap" from. Luke is 19 in A New Hope. Luke is born at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

Something I realized last night. There's people who don't want too much shown in the trailers. And then there's the people that are disappointed that the stuff in the trailers wasn't actually in the movie. You're just not going to win. :laugh:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Star Wars, it was you, not me.

I didn't like the prequels. I thought they failed completely to capture the magic of the first three (mainly first two) movies. Told I was just stuck in the past by the people who didn't agree with me.

I thought Force Awakens was better than the prequels, but still left me cold. Again, see above.

Rogue One I think is better than Return of the Jedi and makes me finally feel like I've seen a new Star Wars movie for the first time since May, 1983. I was almost fully satisfied with the storytelling, direction and acting in this one. And I'll leave it at that.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
No clue where you and others are getting this "30-year gap" from. Luke is 19 in A New Hope. Luke is born at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

Something I realized last night. There's people who don't want too much shown in the trailers. And then there's the people that are disappointed that the stuff in the trailers wasn't actually in the movie. You're just not going to win. :laugh:

It was long stated to be a twenty year gap anyway, which is much closer to fitting Luke's age. They must've been rounding :sarcasm: Then again, perhaps they're referring to the gap between when the films were made.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Lucasfilms has consistently said that Vader is easily the most popular and profitable character in the Star Wars universe, so making an anthology film based on his life would be received quite well by most fans I'd imagine.

Vader is arguably the most iconic villain of all time and he deserves better than the train wreck Lucas made in the prequels, especially this cheesey ****:

vadernoo.jpg

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
No I didn't mean to imply that, there is no real emotion in this movie and that's fine by me: everything was by the numbers and that's what I expected.

I was excited to see the movie and enjoyed it. It didn't need to be an emotional ride and I am sort of glad they didn't try to be.

A lot of people complain that the characters didn't get developed but I still don't understand why that matters: Jyn was developed and she was the only one who really needed it. We got back story for most of the secondary characters and their personalities were established through their behaviour, what would dwelling into their backgrounds add to this movie? I am skeptical that finding out more about Donnie Yen's character's past would do.

I'm not sure I'm arguing for extended back story, either. How much backstory did Han, Luke and Leia get in ANH? We saw them in their current situation and their reactions to what was going on around them organically developed their character. That same development didn't end up happening in R1 and it resulted in bland characters with a couple identifying traits here and there. I'm not looking for impeccable characterization. Just enough for me to care. I cared about the Droid and somewhat about Donnie Yen. Didn't give a damn about anyone else. Maybe I'm the only one.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Saw the movie yesterday. It was cool, action sequences were well done, but the ending left me feeling hollow. Maybe it was supposed to be that way, being that this was a story of unsung heroes, but the movie just felt like it lacked "heart" to me. I was expecting to see an ending with a little bit of emotional fallout, but it was kind of just everyone's dead->we've got the plans->the end. Anyone else feel this way?

Best part about the movie for me was getting a well done explanation for why the 1st Death Star had that flaw. That was a brilliant idea.

Lastly, as an aside. I'm sure I'm not the only one concerned about this new Star Wars movie every year thing that Disney is going to do? I'm a fan, not a die-hard fan of the series, but a fan nonetheless, and I feel very strongly that the novelty is going to wear off for me very quickly. Just makes me concerned that Disney is going to start churning out movies with minimal effort the way that they now do with Marvel (which I care about very little now).

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Decent characters? The originals had some of the most memorable characters of all time.

The characters are memorable because the movies are memorable. What was so great about the characters in ANH? It wasn't Shawshank Redemption-like quality.

The characters are likeable but there wasn't really a lot of depth to the characters until the 2nd movie, when even Darth Vader was more fleshed out

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

It's like ~30 years between the end of ROJ and the new trilogy, maybe that's getting mixed up with the prequel-original gap?

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
so I finally saw it, super long review ahoy

[TL;DR: I happily give it a watchable B and think that a few tweaks could have made it a very good movie]

so I'd have to say first and foremost that Rogue One was very clearly made by a writer + director who loved Star Wars and wanted it to be a worthy addition. In that regard, they very clearly succeeded: Rogue One is certainly the next-best film after the original trilogy, although that's a rather low bar to hurdle, and is far closer to the greatness of the original trilogy than the 4 mediocre films that succeeded it. More to the point, it really did feel like Star Wars, and it really did feel like a Star Wars film made by a fan, not a laughably out-of-touch director nor a corporate boardroom. Unlike Episode VII, which seemed like every scene was gone over with a fine-tooth comb in order to maximize the amount of profit that Disney would rake in, Rogue One took risks and didn't pander to a casual audience. I appreciate it and hope that we can expect a threshold of "good" and "original" going forward, although I don't think that much risk will pop up again in the portfolio.

I think my favorite part of the entire film was the gritty, grimy, tense atmosphere of Imperial-occupied worlds at the apex of the Empire's power. While I think too many worlds were stuffed into the movie, I greatly enjoyed the brief sojourns on the asteroid base, the labor planet, and the temple city. Seeing stormtroopers and AT-STs patrolling about while everyone looks over their shoulders to check for spies was everything I wanted. The tone and setting of the film were fantastic, not in the least because we never really saw an Imperial occupation in any planets of the original trilogy, with the exception of a few minutes of Mos Eisley and Cloud City. The tone also reinforced a secondary theme that the Rebel Alliance faced serious challenges and was on the point of collapse, which I really liked as well. While it bugged me a little bit that each stormtrooper basically existed to die 10 seconds after first appearing, I wouldn't have changed much of anything about the atmosphere except perhaps seeing more -- I would have done the first act on the labor planet, the second act on the trading asteroid, and the third act on the desert planet so that we could get a deeper sense of time and place [how many planets were in this movie? Like 6? There should be a rule that Star Wars can't have more than 3 planets in any movie].

My second favorite part of the movie was the quippy strategy droid. Loved him. Alan Tudyk nailed it. Definitely my favorite character in the film. I wonder how much, if any, of his personality was inspired by HK-47. I didn't much care when the other characters died, but I was sad when he took one for the team.

Speaking of the other characters, I liked the Imperial director and wanted more of him. The scenes with him and CGI Tarkin and Vader were very well done (I think his scene with Vader might be the best in the entire film, and I thought CGI Tarkin did a great job of bringing gravity into each scene, although I couldn't help but be slightly annoyed that it wasn't Peter Sellers' voice) and highlighted his ambition well. Ambition wasn't really one of the character traits of any Imperial officers of the original trilogy, so it was interesting to see a character who isn't motivated by evil or fear but rather the desire to make sure he gets his due. I wish they had fleshed out the character a bit more, and maybe axed the "generic evil villain" scenes like killing the engineers and taking the time to explain why the Rebellion's plans will fail rather than kill Jin when he's got a blaster pointed at her.

The other main characters I found mostly one-dimensional.

-Hero girl had a pretty standard character arc that had too many cliches to make me care much about her.
-Hero dude was a bit deeper and managed to portray the idea that the rebellion isn't all puppies and X-wings and inspiration. Liked him, would have liked more backstory about his struggles and sacrifices.
-Blind kung-fu guy was totally misused in this movie, IMO. He could've been a great voice of morality and wisdom instead of being a "press A to not die" video game character. Was wondering if he was going to pull a lightSabre out of his staff to kill all the stormtoopers around the master switch, and was very happy he did not.
-I don't think Imperial pilot even had one dimension to speak of. His schtick was "I'm the important pilot" pretty much through the entire movie. I kind of feel bad for the actor that he wasn't given any emotional range other than fear of imminent death.
-Trigger happy guy was a trigger happy guy. Why was the point of putting him in this movie? Couldn't the writers have found a way to kill stormtroopers with more emotional gravity than a Gears of War match?
-Same criticism of Forest Whitakre's character. Why did he have to exist? Jin could have survived as a girl without him and they could have gotten her father's message without him. His death scene was super corny and basically reinforced how unimportant he was overall.

Many scattered thoughts:

-I disliked the number of references to ANH in Episode VII, but I thought that the references in Rogue One were just about right. The blue milk and Evazon's appearance were spot-on. That said, I disliked the recycling of Red Leader and Gold Leader clips in the last battle.
-I couldn't help but love the fact that the "hammerhead corvette" was a ship from KOTOR [not in the least because it means that the director knows about the game and therefore knows about one of the great entities in the universe -- and maybe, hope beyond hope, that means we might get a KOTOR movie]. But since KOTOR takes place thousands of years before ANH, that means it's museum relic -- wouldn't it shatter the second its engines start up, let alone when it rams a Star Destroyer?
-In the same vein, weren't kaibur [sp?] crystals the plot point of Splinter of the Mind's Eye? It's not one of the great novels but I enjoyed it, and enjoyed the reference. How many other Easter eggs were there? I'm wondering if I missed any more from the books/comics/games. Great to see a film that incorporates the former expanded universe after Disney decided it all goes in the trash heap.
-I don't know how the Internet writ large reacted to CGI Tarkin and Leia but I liked them both, although there really wasn't much reason for Leia to be in the film except for fan service. I would love a Tarkin movie, although I'd rather see a Thrawn movie over a Tarkin movie, and I'd rather see a Baron Fel movie over a Thrawn movie.
-The last battle was awesome, but so many of the earlier battles seemed unnecessary. Too many X-wings shooting down too many TIE fighters risks making the exchanges dull. So many stormstroopers died in this movie that it's hard to think of them as a threat even if they're the best-trained soldiers in the galaxy.
-My sister [who is also a Star Wars dork] and I had an argument about jumping to hyperspace when in a planet's gravity well. She remembers reading that it's not possible to do so, and I remember reading that the only thing that can prevent someone from jumping to hyperspace is an Interdictor Cruiser. Other dorks' input would be welcome in solving this riddle.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
All of the characters are about as well written as you could hope for in a contained action based movie.

5 or 10 more minutes of Jyn's history would have helped. The asteroid station all seemed completely pointless, the Captain could have met his source anywhere else and did what he did. If you're going to introduce a location, it needs to have more relevance than a few minutes of screen time.

Other than that, no real complaints.

I hope all the side stories are this good and I'm hopeful that TFA being as aggressively mediocre as it is had more to do with the choice of director, if Rogue One is anything to go by.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
5 or 10 more minutes of Jyn's history would have helped.

I don't know if it would have. She's BORING.

People keep saying that the characters needed more time/development ect., but it doesn't matter if the characters are dull.

Characters can be interesting without having to be fleshed out.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Lucasfilms has consistently said that Vader is easily the most popular and profitable character in the Star Wars universe, so making an anthology film based on his life would be received quite well by most fans I'd imagine.

Vader is arguably the most iconic villain of all time and he deserves better than the train wreck Lucas made in the prequels, especially this cheesey ****:

vadernoo.jpg

He is and a part of me would like to see a Vader movie but....at the same time i keep saying to myself that too much and it may lose some of it's magic and impact.

That's why i'm not certain that a movie focused on Vader and the time period between ROTS and a New Hope is a good idea. It would certainly be great to watch Vader hunt and slay remaining Jedi and wreck **** for 120mins but....i don't know i'm a bit torn on the idea.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Saw the movie yesterday. It was cool, action sequences were well done, but the ending left me feeling hollow. Maybe it was supposed to be that way, being that this was a story of unsung heroes, but the movie just felt like it lacked "heart" to me. I was expecting to see an ending with a little bit of emotional fallout, but it was kind of just everyone's dead->we've got the plans->the end. Anyone else feel this way?

Best part about the movie for me was getting a well done explanation for why the 1st Death Star had that flaw. That was a brilliant idea.

Lastly, as an aside. I'm sure I'm not the only one concerned about this new Star Wars movie every year thing that Disney is going to do? I'm a fan, not a die-hard fan of the series, but a fan nonetheless, and I feel very strongly that the novelty is going to wear off for me very quickly. Just makes me concerned that Disney is going to start churning out movies with minimal effort the way that they now do with Marvel (which I care about very little now).

I'm wondering if maybe the brief characterizing of the cast was intentional from the Disney business perspective, making it easier to let the characters go and less traumatic to kids. Personally for a movie that's a part of a greater series that works for me if it's just going to end up being an Alamo ending. Even if you had some awesome characters like James Bowie and Davie Crockett, doesn't really matter much in the end.

For the last part, yes there are some that fell that way... and personally I just don't get it. Do you watch TV series, Read books, Play video games, etc etc? We're talking about a single 2 hour movie released every year, how could that possibly be too much? I get 10 hours of Game of Thrones each year and I just want more more more! It's not like there's a bunch of imitations out there, as long as the quality remains high there's no such thing as too much for me.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The 1st half felt very rushed, all these different introductions of characters and planets. The point was to introduce different characters from all over, brining them together but still felt rushed.

The 2nd half was good, of course the action and effects were well done. The Vader scene at the end was fantastic, god I'd love a move of Vader just murdering a bunch of people :laugh:

Some characters were useless, others I couldn't get enough of. For a filler movie it was well done. It will tie me over until Episode 8 and also fills in some backstory to Ep4.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't know if it would have. She's BORING.

People keep saying that the characters needed more time/development ect., but it doesn't matter if the characters are dull.

Characters can be interesting without having to be fleshed out.

I didn't find her boring. If they had showed how ****** prison was, or how the empire treated her, or her time spent with Saw, she'd feel more fleshed out.

We understand Luke's yearning to be something more because there's a few scenes devoted to how he's stuck on a boring moisture farm. Cleaning the droids - a pretty mundane task that he protests - gets woven into the story. He lights up when he gets a chance to ask Obi Wan about his father. There's a progression in ANH and it feels earned by the end. Those simple establishing scenes on Tatooine end up becoming crucial for the entire OT.

In Rogue One, Jyn is 'rescued' and then they read aloud her real name like it's some shock or a well known name and that's it. There's no real progression. My father got taken as a child and now I'm shown in prison isn't enough. They don't show or really even talk about her struggle up until that point. Nobody seems to recognize her, or fear her. She's shown as being more than capable but it doesn't feel earned because we go from A to C without any sort of B. There isn't even so much as "She fought with extremists like Saw for years, watch yourself" whispered to Cassian.

I guess they thought showing her fighting ability was enough. In that respect, she's as flawed as Rey, who can do whatever because the plot calls for it and it's never explained in any way.

I'm curious as to what got left on the cutting room floor.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm wondering if maybe the brief characterizing of the cast was intentional from the Disney business perspective, making it easier to let the characters go and less traumatic to kids. Personally for a movie that's a part of a greater series that works for me if it's just going to end up being an Alamo ending. Even if you had some awesome characters like James Bowie and Davie Crockett, doesn't really matter much in the end.

For the last part, yes there are some that fell that way... and personally I just don't get it. Do you watch TV series, Read books, Play video games, etc etc? We're talking about a single 2 hour movie released every year, how could that possibly be too much? I get 10 hours of Game of Thrones each year and I just want more more more! It's not like there's a bunch of imitations out there, as long as the quality remains high there's no such thing as too much for me.

First part seems iffy considering how ballsy they were with The Lion King.

Second part: movies are not structured in nearly the same way as movies. How often do you see movie series pass three parts?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Honestly I was going by how much Obi Wan appeared to have aged between ROS and ANH, nothing more scientific than that so my bad. So 19 years then, that's a lot of time for him to have been trained by the Emperor, battles, etc. I doubt that he was eating smores by the campfire singing koombaya for 19 years ;)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He is and a part of me would like to see a Vader movie but....at the same time i keep saying to myself that too much and it may lose some of it's magic and impact.

That's why i'm not certain that a movie focused on Vader and the time period between ROTS and a New Hope is a good idea. It would certainly be great to watch Vader hunt and slay remaining Jedi and wreck **** for 120mins but....i don't know i'm a bit torn on the idea.

Not me, I'm 100% sure the idea would be a slam dunk.

Vader has literally captured my imagination since I first saw him when I was six years old, and to this day, he's the only fictional movie character that has had that hold over me my entire life.

We have never really gotten to see why he is so feared... Just teases of his power in the original trilogy... that end scene in Rogue one is the first time we ever saw a full glimpse of Vader's power.

I want to see more of that... more than any wish I've ever had to see in any movie...

I literally waited for the two hours during Rogue One for those 45 seconds, then came home and looked for that scene on YT to watch another dozen times in a row...

There are tons of people who feel like I do, which is why he is the most popular and profitable character in the Star Wars universe.

It seems crazy not to capitalize on that when Disney bought Lucasfilms to make money, lots of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad