Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
In going into this movie with as much of an open mind as I can. I want it to be great. TLJ being what it was and this alleged Palpatine stuff are making me pretty cautious but regardless I think it’s important to not hate the movie before I see it

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
In going into this movie with as much of an open mind as I can. I want it to be great. TLJ being what it was and this alleged Palpatine stuff are making me pretty cautious but regardless I think it’s important to not hate the movie before I see it
Yeah. My expectations will be what they were for Revenge of the Sith and Rogue One. It's going to have same crazy action sequences that look amazing, so at a minimum those parts will be entertaining.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They've released a lot, but without really giving all that much away. This is the first time they've done that, and it was quite a bit.

Agreed with what you said, though.
Yeah, nothing of significance was given. With this, I just wonder why they even bothered with the "they can fly now" clip. If the movie is great and that's an isolated incident, then no one will care about a dumb joke that lands flat. Maybe they thought it would get a different reaction though? This clip was basically a dream for anyone that wants an ancient Sith movie/show.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Yeah, nothing of significance was given. With this, I just wonder why they even bothered with the "they can fly now" clip. If the movie is great and that's an isolated incident, then no one will care about a dumb joke that lands flat. Maybe they thought it would get a different reaction though? This clip was basically a dream for anyone that wants an ancient Sith movie/show.

Well it was probably just a cool action scene with a joke thrown in, which did not actually fall flat for everyone. I have heard plenty of people say they enjoyed it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well it was probably just a cool action scene with a joke thrown in, which did not actually fall flat for everyone. I have heard plenty of people say they enjoyed it.
Not saying it fell flat for everyone, just saying they received a decent amount of negative feedback, which depending on how the movie goes, they may not have received in the first place. Although, if they thought it was too cheesy, they probably wouldn't have had it in the movie.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I already was thinking that may be the opening shot of the movie.. but then someone pointed out to me that JJ said the first words of the movie are “at”... so now I’m fully convinced that’s the opening.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If even half of what I just read is true, then **** this. I ****ing quit.

That wasn't even everything because I think that he assumed that people read his plot outline from a couple of months ago. You can find that in three parts in the pane on the left. I won't go into details, but, if it's all true, it's possible that something that this movie abuses could open a bigger can of worms (pun intended) for the franchise than anything that Johnson put into TLJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peanut Butter

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
How does that reflect no plan? Both Han dying and Luke not being found until the very end were the plan for the first movie. While they could have written the plot differently so they did end up in a scene together, that's not the same thing as having no plan.

My no plan comment was more in reference to the trilogy as a whole, which the main people in charge have admitted to having no plan for it.

Luke. Han and Leia not having a scene together was just total misfire

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I guess my fandom isn't as strong but who were all the voices instead of the last one?

It's Palpatine speaking as Snoke and Vader.

My take away is that Palpatine has been playing Ben/Kylo his entire life and manipulating him as he has always done with the Skywalker family.

Snoke likely was a Palpatine puppet and that's why we never got a backstory on him and he never really "mattered."

Vader is important because of the scene in TFA where Kylo is talking to Vader's helmet asking him to show him the way again and he'll finish what you (Vader) started, that looks to be all Palpatine manipulating him.

They really should have just released this video from the beginning and not bothered with all of the others. First clip that has actually made me excited for this movie even if I hate the idea of Palpatine still being alive.

With Vader's voice being included I really do hope that Anakin finally makes an appearance in this movie. Maybe Anakin was "calling him to the light" trying to tell him that all of the Vader stuff was BS.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's Palpatine, Snoke, and Vader.

My take away is that Palpatine has been playing Ben/Kylo his entire life and manipulating him as he has always done with the Skywalker family.

Snoke likely was a Palpatine puppet and that's why we never got a backstory on him and he never really "mattered."

Vader is important because of the scene in TFA where Kylo is talking to Vader's helmet asking him to show him the way again and he'll finish what you (Vader) started, that looks to be all Palpatine manipulating him.

They really should have just released this video from the beginning and not bothered with all of the others.
Yeah, Palp was manipulating Kylo his whole life, but they never should've come out and said that bringing Palp back was JJ's idea once he signed on for 9. It's not like Palp was the plan from the very beginning. If it's written well enough, then it's not a big deal. It'll sort of retcon some of the stuff in the novels, but that's always been lesser canon anyway.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'm intrigued with how they'll pull it off and I'm willing to be convinced, but my gut reaction to Palpatine being back and being the bad guy all along is that it sounds stupid. Classic example of shrinking the world rather than expanding it.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I'm intrigued with how they'll pull it off and I'm willing to be convinced, but my gut reaction to Palpatine being back and being the bad guy all along is that it sounds stupid. Classic example of shrinking the world rather than expanding it.

It does sound stupid but when you take a seat back the Skywalker Saga was always tied to Palpatine and his manipulations so the more I think about it I can live with it if a Skywalker is the one to finally finish him off, aka Ben Solo has to do it.

If it's Rey I will be livid because, well, the Skywalker's didn't matter and the original trilogy is pointless.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, Palp was manipulating Kylo his whole life, but they never should've come out and said that bringing Palp back was JJ's idea once he signed on for 9. It's not like Palp was the plan from the very beginning. If it's written well enough, then it's not a big deal. It'll sort of retcon some of the stuff in the novels, but that's always been lesser canon anyway.

I think that Abrams' plan all along was to remake (or, at least, duplicate the themes of) the OT and Snoke was his Emperor. With Johnson killing him off, he had to scramble to salvage his plan and who better to replace his Emperor stand-in than the actual Emperor? I imagine that that's why Abrams has been publicly crediting Johnson during the making of Episode 9. Without Johnson blowing up his plans, he wouldn't have hit on the idea of bringing back the Emperor, which I'm sure that he's now really happy that he had to do.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think that Abrams' plan all along was to remake (or, at least, duplicate the themes of) the OT and Snoke was his Emperor. With Johnson killing him off, he had to scramble to salvage his plan and who better to replace his Emperor stand-in than the actual Emperor? I imagine that that's why Abrams has been publicly crediting Johnson during the making of Episode 9. Without Johnson blowing up his plans, he wouldn't have hit on the idea of bringing back the Emperor, which I'm sure that he's now really happy that he had to do.
Yeah, if done well, it could be a blessing in disguise. A Palp/Kylo dynamic does bring some interesting story lines. My guess is Palp is clearly looking for revenge on the Skywalker bloodline, too bad we'll only have 1 movie to see that dynamic.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm more sad that they seem to have made him a living being again instead of some crazy force ghost that is still tied to the dark side.

Who knows, it could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia