Online Series: Star Trek: Discovery - III - Spock's Beard

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Other than that, the shows are very different. While B5 went a quarter of the way with hard science, the Expanse went full in and embraced real world science to fuel their show.

That's even better. I prefer real (or plausible) science to fantasy science. What I like best about Star Trek are the elements and situations that might really happen in a few hundred years. I love that the people behind TNG (my favorite series) consulted NASA scientists to make it more believable. What I like the least are the fantastical elements that Discovery loves to employ, like being able to jump anywhere in the universe on a whim, travel anywhere in time on a whim, interact with an alternate universe, transform one species into another and so on. Other Trek series have dabbled in some of those, but they were the exceptions and breaks from the usual, not core elements of the series, like with Discovery. Now that Discovery is jumping 900 years into the future, it's likely to be even more fantastical and less grounded in science <sigh>.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Outside some things that get in to spoiler territory, the only things in the show which are out of the realm of possibility (Atleast with any tech we have have or can theorize at the moment) are:

1) The Epstein Drive, an extremely efficient and powerful nuclear fusion drive, capable of slagging anything that get's remotely close to it. While the engine is powerful and efficient, it still takes an EXTREMELY long time for characters to get places.

2) Spinning Ceres up. The Tycho company spent 50 years spinning Ceres up to get it to approx. 0.3g. Spinning Ceres up to a speed so anyone living on it would experience 0.3g, would likely cause it to tear itself apart.

Outside of these two things though the show is quite realistic.

Reactions: Blender

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
What would be hilarious at the start of next season we get

Previously on Star Trek Discovery

We get season highlights from season two heavily showing Michael laughing, crying, being angry, you know basically all the same faces. We see the Discovery going into the future.

Then 900 years later the discovery pops up in front of a Klingon shuttle craft which one shot kills the Discovery killing everyone on board.

Then we go to the theme song and the show is renamed Star Trek Pike.

Reactions: Guardian17

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I said it a while back, but Sonequa Martin-Green's limited range and lack of differentiated facial expressions reminds me of Jared Padalecki from Supernatural. The big difference is that Padalecki is a charismatic, charming, engaging actor so he makes the most of what he has, while Martin-Green just seems stiff and off-putting.

Also, fun fact while I went to look up how to spell her name:

Her real-life husband appeared in the last season of Discovery.

As Burnham's dad. :eek:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've honestly been impressed with how well she emotes. She can pull off a "sad" look or "surprised" look better than a lot of other actors. The problem, IMO, is two fold. First, she seems to just have a handful of these "looks" and no range in between. If she has to look sad, it's 10/10 on the sadness scale and if she has to look surprised, it's 10/10 on the surprise scale. That might be her fault because that's what she thinks acting is or it might be the directors' fault for encouraging it.

Second, the extreme emotions are such a contrast from how she normally plays the character, which is stoic and hardly phased by anything. For example, there have been many times when she learns surprising information, but doesn't looked surprised, and, instead, acts like the smartest person in the room as she explains it to her colleagues who are still trying to process the new information. She's never, say, 5/10 on the surprise scale, but either 1/10 or 10/10. It's like she has two modes: "Vulcan mode," in which she's practically emotionless 75% of the time, and then "Human mode," which she engages the other 25%. She doesn't play her character as a blend of Vulcan and Human, but as two different characters (or one with a split personality). It's hard to say for sure if it's all her fault or whether blame is shared by the directors and writers.

Good actors seem to always know how they should act in a scene without a director needing to get it out of them and they can even find ways to make bad writing not sound so bad. For example, Alec Guinness made his dialogue in Star Wars sound less hokey than a lesser actor would've. Actors like that are smart enough that they basically direct themselves. Martin-Green does not seem to be one of those because she has no awareness of how ridiculous she comes across when she acts out her lines. That said, I'm willing to give her some benefit of the doubt that she's not a "bad" actress because I've really only ever seen her in this and it's not an easy character to play, admittedly. She seems to have some potential because she's good at emoting, as I said, and may just need better writing and better direction.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Vulcan's make bad main characters, bad bad bad. Spock was good because he was a product of his time and had the benefit of being a character on a ground breaking television series.

T'Pol was horrible, Tuvok was terrible (Tim Russ kicks ass though).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So I'm watching Discovery now. I don't hate it. It's not great, but I take it over Voyager and Enterprise (and TOS:AS) by a pretty good margin.

I feel that the crew is basically 4/5 people, and the narrative structure keeps you from learning much about the B squad (which makes everyone that's not the aforementioned 4/5 people are basically redshirts).

I like Michael, but I don't necessarily like how she's used in the plot. I love Tilly and Stanetz - I think they're great. Saru is - fine? Actually not bad at all but I never liked his corollary characters. Both Captains have been solid I thought.

Really my only issues are with the plots, but I can overlook a lot of shitty plots in science fiction shows. I like the Orville more because I don't think this does a great job of tackling the weirdness of space (and I don't like the Spore drive). It certainly doesn't hold a candle to DS9, but I don't think it's miles behind ToS or TNG - which were really f***ing uneven.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So I'm watching Discovery now. I don't hate it. It's not great, but I take it over Voyager and Enterprise (and TOS:AS) by a pretty good margin.

I feel that the crew is basically 4/5 people, and the narrative structure keeps you from learning much about the B squad (which makes everyone that's not the aforementioned 4/5 people are basically redshirts).

I like Michael, but I don't necessarily like how she's used in the plot. I love Tilly and Stanetz - I think they're great. Saru is - fine? Actually not bad at all but I never liked his corollary characters. Both Captains have been solid I thought.

Really my only issues are with the plots, but I can overlook a lot of ****ty plots in science fiction shows. I like the Orville more because I don't think this does a great job of tackling the weirdness of space (and I don't like the Spore drive). It certainly doesn't hold a candle to DS9, but I don't think it's miles behind ToS or TNG - which were really ****ing uneven.
I mean it might not be miles behind TNG season 1 and 2, or parts of TOS season 3, but it isn't in the same league as TNG season 3 to 7 or most of TOS.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Who was the ice cream liking alien queen? I feel like I missed an episode but according to Netflix I've watched them all?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
She was from one of the bad Short Treks that they did.

Well that's stupid, you can't just drop someone in your finale and hope that the audience has watched your webisodes. Season 2 was a real mixed bag, some good stuff, some good ideas badly executed and some absolutely garbage.

Looking through the Wikipedia page it seems like they've gone through Showrunners like the Flyers go through goaltenders. Maybe that's why the show is so uneven. Roll on season 3, though it is a pity Anson Mount wont be back, I think he was the best part of season 2.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That ice-cream-loving alien queen has deserved more criticism, but even I haven't mentioned her because there were simply so many other things wrong with the finale. That character is just bad all around. She's, what, a teenage queen of her people who ran away to escape her responsibilities? That sounds like a fairy tale. She, then, just happens to show up on Discovery and happens to know the secret of time travel, exactly what the Discovery crew needs to save the universe. On top of that, the ice cream infatuation that's supposed to be cute was just eye-rolling, and her English really bugged me because it was too perfect and the universal translator shouldn't have even worked, since the Federation had never encountered her people before. She just seemed like a bad character hastily written up to appeal to late teen and early 20s viewers and to solve a dilemma for the crew.

Well that's stupid, you can't just drop someone in your finale and hope that the audience has watched your webisodes.

That's a great point. It makes you question the writers' talent and decision making even more.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

"I'm gonna say Star Trek Discovery is the dumbest written show on television." —Noted critic Rich Evans

Reactions: Blender

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The part where they were counting the number of producers cracked me up. Looks like they forced poor Jay to watch an episode.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

"I'm gonna say Star Trek Discovery is the dumbest written show on television." —Noted critic Rich Evans

I agreed with most of what they said. The writing was terrible and I'm not sure how anyone can defend it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The part where they were counting the number of producers cracked me up. Looks like they forced poor Jay to watch an episode.

That was pretty funny. It's at 18:30 for those who want to watch only that.

I liked how they pointed out (at 27:08) that the Klingons have long hair and new ships in Season 2, as if it takes place years after Season 1, when it literally picks up right where Season 1 left off. Also, the blast door discussion (at 41:40) was pretty funny.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Hey kids, did you like Short Treks!

(audience: No!)

Well then you'll love that we're bringing back Short Treks!

Did you love Pike, Spock, and Number One from the classic Enterprise crew?

(audience: More than most of the regular characters)

Then you'll love that we're bringing back Pike and Spock! On Short Treks! And two of the 3 episodes will be cartoons for some reason ("some reason" being "because it's cheaper to get Anson Mount into a recording booth for 3 hours than it is to have him on a soundstage for 3 weeks)

SDCC: Star Trek's New Short Treks Will Have Spock And Pike, Tease Picard Series

They also announced during their season 3 panel that the series will jump ahead 1,000 years (by which I assume they mean that just the discovery and cast jump ahead, not that we're going to be getting a brand new setting with new-age 1000-years-in-the-future Starfleet) and that we're getting a new character who's "a bit of a rule breaker" which apparently makes him different from all the other characters who routinely flout the rules and common sense... somehow. He's also said to be "someone you don't expect" which leaves me with a lingering fear that what they really mean is "we're shrinking this universe even more than we have already by making this brand new character be related to someone else notable or important so that we can get a big dramatic reveal out of it."

$20 says if he's from this 1,000 years in the future timeframe that he ends up being the great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great.........great-great-grandson of Burnham and Tyler/Voq.

also of course the dramatic reveal of this new character at the panel is described as showing a picture of him standing by the water at a shoot in Iceland. With Burnham. Because you apparently can't even debut a new character with out inexorably tying his unveiling to marysue spacejesus.

SDCC: Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Details Confirm Time Jump, New Character

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I wants my Enterprise J. And the new character is totally Daniels.

Unless Daniels is a shape-shifter, nope. Because the new guy is being played by David Ajala (most recently seen as Manchester Black on Supergirl). Otherwise we've got no explanation for how he goes from an American white guy to an English black guy.

But my many-generations-out descendant of Burnham theory is still on the table :laugh:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Can we just forget that this period in Trek history doesent exist, sorta kinda like what we did with Nemesis.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I finally just watched that season 2 review video that johnjm posted. I'm only like 15 minutes in but it already bothers me that for how pedantically picky they're being a bout "real fans" vs "modern mainstream jock-pop-culture fans" and how much the groups respect proper sci-fi and Star Trek, they both constantly keep mistakenly using "Star trek" when they mean to say "Starship" so we've had multiple references to the "star trek enterprise" and the "star trek discovery" when they're talking about the ships themselves appearing in the shows/movies.

I am enjoying them recapping the utterly ridiculous over-complexity of a bunch of plot threads that go nowhere in the series though.

That said, they do miss out on a few things in the process of snarking about how dumb things are. Like the whole Voq/Tyler thing. One of them asks what the deal was with the character, if there was a "real" Ash Tyler or whatever. The other guy says "no" because he means to say that guy #1's theory that Voq/Tyler are a combined being (that Voq was essentially stuffed into the real Tyler's body) is incorrect and that the actual explanation is that Voq gets Star Trek magic plastic surgery to make him into a fake human (which is accurate). But it ignores that as far as I understood from the story, there was a real Tyler who was captured and I guess killed so that they could use his real history to inform Voq!Tyler's backstory and implanted memories. I mean, if there wasn't, it would've made the character the worst sleeper agent in history since all anyone would've had to do when he got onto the Discovery is punch up the Starfleet officer's database and realize "oh hell, this guy doesn't have a service record or a birth certificate or a personal history of any kind. But he says he's cool, so I guess that means it's a computer error and he's totally 100% legit and not something shifty".

Though now that I write all that out, I honestly could see the Discovery writers' room causing a plot hole by making that mistake because their slipshod approach to crafting 'meaningful' character stories and information was usually exactly that in depth and well-informed.

They also spend like 4 minutes referring to the engineer/security officer lady Pike brought with him questioning if she's a Benzite because of the breathing apparatus while completley whiffing on the fact that she is in fact another TNG alien callback (a Barzan from the episode about the wormhole that the Barzans were auctioning off usage rights to and the skeezy telepathic negotiator guy that was in on it).

If you're going to plan the trekkie fan card of *nasal voice* "well,*derisive tongue click* actually in episode ef0714b Kirk presses the button on his chair to activate red alert but then in ef0718 he presses the same button to jettison the sensor pod and presses the button 2 places to the left to activate red alert even though that's normally the button to cut off communications. I hope someone got fired for that blunder *snorting laughter*" you'd damn well better be right. Otherwise you look like a colossal dick and a lazy idiot.

Point being (before I got sidetracked into taking another shot at Discovery itself. Because honestly it's just so easy to dovetail basically any discussion around the show into that sort of avenue) it's a little difficult to take scathing "you're not living up to the level of proper classic, non-insulting Star Trek" when you blitz through making a bunch of equally lazy mistakes without recognizing them. We've made similar mistakes here, but generally most of us have been aware of where they might be and that we're making them, we just don't want to take the time to research to fix them then and there. All it would've taken was a few vague "I remember this being a thing, but I don't remember the details or circumstances" type disclaimers on their critical statements to be able to brush that stuff off a little easier.

Also though I'm sitting through the whole video (between the time I wrote that I'm about 15 minutes in and now another 20 or so minutes have passed as I've pieced together this loooong post :laugh: ), I feel like 50 minutes of just the two guys sitting in chairs awkwardly discussing the show is a little long. But gotta get dem stratified YT monetization tiers, I guess.

EDIT: Also while I'm not an uptight spineless wuss or anything, I'm not a fan of the number of casual f-bombs in their discussion. Profanity in a "professional" setting sounds less professional. I get that they're supposed to be a pair of people just shooting the breeze about whatever, but if you want to sound authoritative and knowledgeable, you should also sound like you're reasonably well put together and not just two dudes in a bar talking about a show after a half-dozen beers. Also every time you curse, it lessens the impact of the curse. Save the f-bombs for important punctuation, not because you dole them out like commas to pause your thought on.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Can we just forget that this period in Trek history doesent exist, sorta kinda like what we did with Nemesis.

Hey! I resent that. I exist! (at least I think I exist.) :sarcasm:

(yes, this is also a sort of oblique way of saying I like to pretend that the movie doesn't actually exist. And no, my name is not in reference to it. It's a much older Transformers reference)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad