Online Series: Star Trek: Discovery - III - Spock's Beard

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The geek verse is saying the next series has had its budget cut by 50%. Can anyone Toronto confirm this? I know a few posters from season one had either friends or family members who worked in the set

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Unless Daniels is a shape-shifter, nope. Because the new guy is being played by David Ajala (most recently seen as Manchester Black on Supergirl). Otherwise we've got no explanation for how he goes from an American white guy to an English black guy.

But my many-generations-out descendant of Burnham theory is still on the table :laugh:

The answer to everything these days is simple: wibbly wobbly timey wimey.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The geek verse is saying the next series has had its budget cut by 50%. Can anyone Toronto confirm this? I know a few posters from season one had either friends or family members who worked in the set

Fingers crossed this could actually be good. Part of the reason the earlier Treks were often so good was because the budget and practicality limitations of effects and whatnot at the time forced the writers to get creative. Transporters were because shuttle sequences were expensive. the lack of saucer separation battles was because playing with the models was expensive. the number of "just like earth, but different" plots was because it was cheaper to use existent sets and backlots instead of building brand new ones. Not having giant space battles and fantastic visual things all the time was because they could only afford to do it once or twice a season. Character-driven stuff was done because it's cheaper to have interpersonal conflict on the always-present ship sets than it was to always do away missions in new locations with new characters in new alien makeup. Bottle shows are cheap but force you to focus on what you already have. Restrictions breed creativity. Now we just need to hope that the creativity that it breeds here is the good kind and not the ADD-addled orgasmic explosion of 50 jillion nonsense ideas that go nowhere that we've already seen.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't see a budget cut as a bad thing, although it might be with the people running it not being able to write a decent story.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't see a budget cut as a bad thing, although it might be with the people running it not being able to write a decent story.

Why write a decent story when you can craft the storytelling equivalent of a cream puff (shiny, instantly fulfilling but hollow and nothing but empty calories) and slather it in a rich icing of nostalgia-baiting references and faux-deep introspection and circular reasoning that goes nowhere that distracts casuals long enough for them to forget that nothing really means anything nor does anything make sense?

Reactions: Blender

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Unless Daniels is a shape-shifter, nope. Because the new guy is being played by David Ajala (most recently seen as Manchester Black on Supergirl). Otherwise we've got no explanation for how he goes from an American white guy to an English black guy.

But my many-generations-out descendant of Burnham theory is still on the table :laugh:

Gonna be related to Sisko.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Months ago, the fine folks in this thread recommended The Expanse, so I watched the entire series and finished a week ago. It's written so much better than Discovery. It's smart without relying on spouting technobabble; it has technology, but doesn't introduce anything to solve problems or make the writers' jobs easier; it doesn't rely on nostalgia and fan service (because it can't); it doesn't leave characters undeveloped until just before they're suddenly important or killed off; it doesn't have characters that seem unfit for their stations; and it doesn't add jokes or klutzy characters for the sake of levity. It's not perfect, but the writing is so much better than Discovery's that it really puts Kurtzman and his team to shame, IMO.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
But Sisko already will have in the future went back in time to eventually have previously eventually take his place once he finally soon gets back there before like he has will do.

Time travel! :laugh:

Maybe Burnham will be the first Trill and the first host of Dax.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Burnham is the original form of the god being imprisoned in the center of the galaxy beyond the great barrier in Star Trek V

It’ll be revealed at the end of the series that Burnham is the first Q in the universe.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It’ll be revealed at the end of the series that Burnham is the first Q in the universe.

Which is also the John DeLancie Q. The appearance change was just to be able to mess with Picard/Sisko/Janeway without anyone going "Hey, that Q kind of looks like Michael Burnham, the literal patron saint of Starfleet Officers)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Which is also the John DeLancie Q. The appearance change was just to be able to mess with Picard/Sisko/Janeway without anyone going "Hey, that Q kind of looks like Michael Burnham, the literal patron saint of Starfleet Officers)

Actually given what these writers have done so far I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s killed off at some point and replaced by another character.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Actually given what these writers have done so far I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s killed off at some point and replaced by another character.

Nope. The writers have invested so much in pumping up how special and amazing and history-changing she is that she'll be the last person to be killed off unless Sonequa Martin-Green wants to leave the show. I could see them killing literally every other character and making her the sole survivor to be surrounded by a whole new cast before they kill of Marysue Spacejesus.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nope. The writers have invested so much in pumping up how special and amazing and history-changing she is that she'll be the last person to be killed off unless Sonequa Martin-Green wants to leave the show. I could see them killing literally every other character and making her the sole survivor to be surrounded by a whole new cast before they kill of Marysue Spacejesus.

Goes without saying that it’d only be if she wanted to leave, but that’s definitely within the realm of possibility as well. Especially if the movies come calling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->