Pre-Game Talk: Stanley Cup Final: New York Rangers vs. Los Angeles Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He played well in the first couple rounds, but to me, something has seemed very "off" about him since he started wearing the shield

Staal plays better against bigger forwards. It's the small, sneaky guys he seems to have problems with. Going back a few seasons Staal and Dustin Brown have really gone after eachother a few times. He thrives when physically pushed. That's why he plays well against Malkin and Ovie. Bigger guys.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
forever going to call Stepan 'Baby Food Chicken' because of that being one of the things he's been eating with his injury. the way he said it was just mint.

he seemed to be glowing, too. awesome to see.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Staal worries me more than any Ranger right now. He was a mess last round and it wasn't just him having trouble with the Habs speed, he just flat out made a lot of poor decisions.

Which Staal shows up will have a huge impact on the outcome of the series. The margin for error is going to be small.

he got beat by speed, against the Pens & Flyers he was our best defenseman...i'd say he was the best defenseman for either team in both series.

Kings are nowhere near as fast as the Habs, nor as slippery. They play straight ahead dump, chase, hit, recover hockey. that plays into Staals strengths not his weaknesses

AHB*

he got beat by speed, against the Pens & Flyers he was our best defenseman...i'd say he was the best defenseman for either team in both series.

Kings are nowhere near as fast as the Habs, nor as slippery. They play straight ahead dump, chase, hit, recover hockey. that plays into Staals strengths not his weaknesses

QFT. Staal prides himself on winning puck battles against the boards. He is insanely good at it, even when it's him against 2 men forechecking. I think against the Kings style he will be extremely effective.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Staal plays better against bigger forwards. It's the small, sneaky guys he seems to have problems with. Going back a few seasons Staal and Dustin Brown have really gone after eachother a few times. He thrives when physically pushed. That's why he plays well against Malkin and Ovie. Bigger guys.

True. I miss him going back and forth against AO.

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
I guess we will be seeing Stepan rock the broken jaw helmet in the SCF.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Kinda fishy that he would still need to wear it once we beat the Habs being that he never broke his jaw. :laugh:

I didn't notice his playoff bearing being shaved and I thought you had to shave that stuff to have surgery!

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Play the kings like we played Philly.. pretty simple

I dunno...it was still a 7 game series...I dont think the Rangers were at their best in that series. We were MUCH better against the Habs. THe Habs series was way more a situation where their goaltending made the series look a helluva lot closer than it really was.

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
I'm not sure what this thread is all about?

If anyone truly believes that the Rangers are better than or equal to the Kings they should have their money riding in Vegas. Then the thread would be..... did I just get a great price on an underdog?

In my mind the Kings should be heavy favorites. To me all that means is that the rangers didn't prove as much in earning their trip to the finals as the Kings did. I thought the Kings opposition was stronger thus at this moment I believe the Rangers need to show that they flew under the radar and are peaking now.

If someone guaranteed me that the series would go 4 or 5 my bet would be heavily on the Kings. In six, closer but still think the Kings are good. In seven, a toss up.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I dunno...it was still a 7 game series...I dont think the Rangers were at their best in that series. We were MUCH better against the Habs. THe Habs series was way more a situation where their goaltending made the series look a helluva lot closer than it really was.

This is a significantly better team with Kreider in the lineup. Particularly against a physical team like Philly. We would have had an easier time against them if he wasn't hurt. McD was also nowhere near himself.

AHB*

If you told me now we're going to a Game 7, I'd take that and run.

One King to rule them all.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
This is a significantly better team with Kreider in the lineup. Particularly against a physical team like Philly. We would have had an easier time against them if he wasn't hurt. McD was also nowhere near himself.

agreed. Kreider & McD at 100% would have made a huge difference. Rangers in 5 or 6 instead of 7...which is still important, fewer games played, woulda been better earlier in the Pitt series as well (more rest/fewer games played)

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
I'm not sure what this thread is all about?

If anyone truly believes that the Rangers are better than or equal to the Kings they should have their money riding in Vegas. Then the thread would be..... did I just get a great price on an underdog?

In my mind the Kings should be heavy favorites. To me all that means is that the rangers didn't prove as much in earning their trip to the finals as the Kings did. I thought the Kings opposition was stronger thus at this moment I believe the Rangers need to show that they flew under the radar and are peaking now.

If someone guaranteed me that the series would go 4 or 5 my bet would be heavily on the Kings. In six, closer but still think the Kings are good. In seven, a toss up.

I think the 2 teams are equal in terms of their ability to win this 7 game series ON THE ICE. Put money on it? Hell no. That's exactly why I wouldn't bet on it. This thing can go either way. One play, one lucky bounce, one little injury can tip the scale. Not enough of an advantage for either team for me to make a confident bet on.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I'm pretty ok with getting in on the Kings at 7/1 after the first round.

Obviously, nothing would come close to a Ranger Cup and I would easily trade every bet Ive ever made for it. But it's a decent hedge to have.

Wolfy*

Amazing creation by the NHL, the official Stanley Cup Final Trailer :handclap:

We should use this in our GDT.

[NHL]623209[/NHL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad