Pre-Game Talk: Stanley Cup Final: New York Rangers vs. Los Angeles Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
And we aren't giving up much of anything in the size department either. Too much being made of that slight advantage to LA.

Size is also overrated, especially on HFBoards.

Throughout all last year's playoffs, all I heard was how the Blues, Kings, and Bruins were going to beat the Blackhawks because of their size advantage. They were supposed to push them around. While I think that Blackhawks team was a better team than this Rangers team, size doesn't matter nearly as much as people think.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Some usage charts to kill time. 5-on-5. Blue means when that player is on the ice, the team gets more shots on goal than they allow. ZS% = O-zone start % / O-zone start % + D zone start %. i.e. Boyle gets 16% of his 5-on-5 starts in the Offensive zone, and 47% in the Defensive zone. Circle size is TOI. John Moore has been getting the most sheltered minutes of any NHL player all post-season.

cQA9CVh.png

nKZCXKi.png

Last edited:

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Is LA a very physical team, or are they more speed-orientated?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
LA beat Vancouver and the Blues in 5. Beat the Coyotes in 6. They played 16 games before the Finals in 12.

They actually swept the Blues and beat Phoenix in 5.

14 games, they've played a full seven games more than that through three rounds in these playoffs.

Its been mentioned in here a few times, but the big jump in their GPG has to be due to their PP and the large amount of ENG's they've scored (I believe its 6 in total.) Maybe someone can run the numbers, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're scoring at the same rate or even less during 5 on 5 play than they were during their 2012 run.

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
We really need use our speed this series and run circles around the Kings with their grinding style. Tire them out as long as possible, there will be counter attack options

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Some usage charts to kill time. 5-on-5. Blue means when that player is on the ice, the team gets more shots on goal than they allow. ZS% = O-zone start % / O-zone start % + D zone start %. i.e. Boyle gets 16% of his 5-on-5 starts in the Offensive zone, and 47% in the Defensive zone. Circle size is TOI. John Moore has been getting the most sheltered minutes of any NHL player all post-season.

cQA9CVh.png

nKZCXKi.png

tbh Girardi and McDonagh need to step it up on the possession chart.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Im not sure if LA's offensive prowess is the result of their offense or poor goaltending. Probably both, I would guess. The Rangers have had a pretty charmed life this playoff when it comes to the opposition's goalie, but their offense hasn't really surged because of it.

One thing I noticed about LA is they get a TON of players in front of the net. Rangers D will have to work them over and limit the traffic.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Im not sure if LA's offensive prowess is the result of their offense or poor goaltending. Probably both, I would guess. The Rangers have had a pretty charmed life this playoff when it comes to the opposition's goalie, but their offense hasn't really surged because of it.

One thing I noticed about LA is they get a TON of players in front of the net. Rangers D will have to work them over and limit the traffic.

Or they have to move the puck quickly to get it out of the zone.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

It's both. They had free parking in front of Crawford for the whole series. Seabrook was a joke. Sheriff Staal and Deputy Stralman cannot allow that ****.

Doesn't take skill to stand in front of the net uncontested, it takes Brent Seabrook.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Staal worries me more than any Ranger right now. He was a mess last round and it wasn't just him having trouble with the Habs speed, he just flat out made a lot of poor decisions.

Which Staal shows up will have a huge impact on the outcome of the series. The margin for error is going to be small.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that chart really says nothing about possession, just zone starts and quality of competition (and icetime).

Possession (shots for vs against) is the color. The darker the blue the better. Anything less than grey and you are a negative.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Staal worries me more than any Ranger right now. He was a mess last round and it wasn't just him having trouble with the Habs speed, he just flat out made a lot of poor decisions.

Which Staal shows up will have a huge impact on the outcome of the series. The margin for error is going to be small.

I don't think they can win this series if Staal isn't at the top of his game. We need Girardi, McDonagh, and Staal to all be at their peak at the same time for once. Staal was a beast against Philly, he absolutely needs to find that level for this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad