St Louis Blues 2020 Post-Season Thread

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
My thoughts on this series from the main board:

I wasn’t concerned at all when the Blues went down 2-0. Their play in Games 1 and 2 was quality and showed they were finding their legs. My lone concern was Binnington as he looked very bad. However, I figured Allen would start Game 3 and then Game 4 after he played so well in Game 3.

The Blues have absolutely taken over this series in Games 3 and 4. Their 5 on 5 play went from controlling early on in the series to downright dominant the last two games. To top it off, the PK has improved significantly. They’ve picked up on Vancouver’s quick puck movement that had them running around out of position.

To put it simply, the Canucks don’t stand a chance of winning this series if their power play remains cold. They are not in the Blues’ league at even strength.

With that said, I’ll give Vancouver some credit moving forward. Markstrom has been rock solid. The Blues really haven’t found 100% of their offensive creativity but Markstrom has also just been very good. I also think the Vancouver D has bent but not broken. They’re overmatched but not making many costly errors.

The games are close despite the Blues really starting to take over the play the last two games. Anything is possible since Vancouver has offensive fire power and a good goalie. However, I think the Blues have finally found their Stanley Cup game thanks to a more consistent schedule. I’m sticking with my original Blues in 6 prediction.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
They solved Markstrom and started shooting high on him. If he adjusts could create a new challenge for the Blues.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Trying to enjoy every shift played by this team as there's no way around roster changes next year. Glad we are guaranteed at least 2 more games and hopefully a lot more.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

This is incredibly concerning long term. The only real positive about the league stoppage was that it ensured that Tarasenko couldn't return too early from his surgery. The fact that his "unfit to play" status is related to his surgically repaired shoulder means that we could very well be looking at something that sticks with him for the rest of his career.

I'd be stunned if this isn't the end of his season and frankly my bigger concern is what it means for the last 3 years of his contract. Just brutal.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, that contract could be the anchor that sinks us. That combined with the long-term deals could be brutal.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Yeah, that contract could be the anchor that sinks us. That combined with the long-term deals could be brutal.
The only potential silver lining is that if this is something that requires another surgery with a 4+ month recovery time then it plausibly allows us to extend Petro without moving 2 of Allen/Steen/Bozak this summer. Take advantage of offseason LTIR and then worry about figuring out the cap if/when Tarasenko returns.

Reactions: TheBluePenguin

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
The only potential silver lining is that if this is something that requires another surgery with a 4+ month recovery time then it plausibly allows us to extend Petro without moving 2 of Allen/Steen/Bozak this summer. Take advantage of offseason LTIR and then worry about figuring out the cap if/when Tarasenko returns.

100% I hope it is very serious but if it is serious, his LTIR could fund Petro alone

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
100% I hope it is very serious but if it is serious, his LTIR could fund Petro alone
I will be stunned if Petro comes in at $7.5M AAV or lower. A deal would have been signed already if that is the number it took. $7.5M of LTIR relief would allow us to keep Petro with minimal tweaks, but it wouldn't fully fund Petro's new AAV.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I will be stunned if Petro comes in at $7.5M AAV or lower. A deal would have been signed already if that is the number it took. $7.5M of LTIR relief would allow us to keep Petro with minimal tweaks, but it wouldn't fully fund Petro's new AAV.

We do not need 7.5 for Petro you only have find the value of his raise

He makes 6.5 now

So we could give Petro 9m and that is only 2.5 of the Vladdy money, that leave 5m for Dunn's raise which will not even take all of that ...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

He makes 6.5 now

So we could give Petro 9m and that is only 2.5 of the Vladdy money, that leave 5m for Dunn's raise which will not even take all of that ...
Not quite, we currently have just $2M in cap space next season, and that's not factoring in Petro's deal. If Tarasenko goes on LTIR, that basically just funds a Petro deal of around $9.

Reactions: TheBluePenguin

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Not quite, we currently have just $2M in cap space next season, and that's not factoring in Petro's deal. If Tarasenko goes on LTIR, that basically just funds a Petro deal of around $9.

I forgot about the contract extensions kicking in, Thanks you jerk, I had pushed the Faulk extension out of mind for a little bit.... I was happy..... HAPPY

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

He makes 6.5 now

That is incorrect because other raises given out have already eaten into our cap space beyond what are cap space is this season. Faulk is getting a $2.35M raise. Schenn is getting a $1.375M raise. Blais is getting a $650k raise and MacMac is getting an extra $150k. You have to find room for that Dunn raise too.

We currently have 21 guys under contract for 2020/21 for a combined cap hit of $79.5M (the cap will be $81.5M). Due to the raises already given, we could not currently afford Petro's current $6.5M hit.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I forgot about the contract extensions kicking in, Thanks you jerk, I had pushed the Faulk extension out of mind for a little bit.... I was happy..... HAPPY
Well, Tarasenko going to LTIR, and Steen on LTIR retirement now seems like a plausible scenario. So, that would take care of everything cap wise.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
That is incorrect because other raises given out have already eaten into our cap space beyond what are cap space is this season. Faulk is getting a $2.35M raise. Schenn is getting a $1.375M raise. Blais is getting a $650k raise and MacMac is getting an extra $150k. You have to find room for that Dunn raise too.

We currently have 21 guys under contract for 2020/21 for a combined cap hit of $79.5M (the cap will be $81.5M). Due to the raises already given, we could not currently afford Petro's current $6.5M hit.
This isn't even adding in a brand new contract in Scandella.

I remember doing some math prior to that contract and everything seemed like it would require one of Steen, Bozak, or Allen to leave to make everything work. After that Scandella deal and it will now require two to leave.

The timing of that deal still baffles me.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
This isn't even adding in a brand new contract in Scandella.

I remember doing some math prior to that contract and everything seemed like it would require one of Steen, Bozak, or Allen to leave to make everything work. After that Scandella deal and it will now require two to leave.

The timing of that deal still baffles me.

That, and the Faulk signing as well.

I would think you’d want to sign Petro before taking care of the rest of the roster.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
That, and the Faulk signing as well.

I would think you’d want to sign Petro before taking care of the rest of the roster.
Yeah, I can understand that the Faulk contract was a baffling decision, even as someone who likes Faulk.

But the Scandella contract came at a time where the season was shutdown and the threat of a flat cap was a strong, if not likely, outcome. At least with the Faulk contract, the expectation was the cap would continue to increase, meaning the overall impact would have been lessened as time went on. Honestly, by Christmas, the gamble looked like it would pay off as pundits like Friedman were reporting the cap could be anywhere between $84 - $88 million. I doubt it would have been higher than $85, and I think a reasonable number would have been $84. But the point remains that the deal should have been workable at the cap hit he signed. Scandella's timing was worse if I'm being honest, as no one was expecting the cap to increase after the shutdown.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Bottom 6 guys who bring the Wood such as Sunny, Blais, Barbs and Mac are so vital. Looking forward to Barbs back.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Well, Tarasenko going to LTIR, and Steen on LTIR retirement now seems like a plausible scenario. So, that would take care of everything cap wise.
We could still trade Allen and free up another 4 million. Signing Pietrangelo now is absolutely doable. The following season we leave Faulk unprotected for the expansion draft, although we may have to offer a sweetener as an incentive.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
We could still trade Allen and free up another 4 million. Signing Pietrangelo now is absolutely doable. The following season we leave Faulk unprotected for the expansion draft, although we may have to offer a sweetener as an incentive.
Stop trying to get rid of Faulk. Y'all burying a darn good player.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Stop trying to get rid of Faulk. Y'all burying a darn good player.
Agree to disagree. He's a rover who has some offensive skill, but is only good defensively when it is one on one. He doesn't really thrive in a five-man unit or read and anticipate plays that well. I think his offensive contributions combined with his defensive liabilities are not worth his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad