St Louis Blues 2020 Post-Season Thread

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Agree to disagree. He's a rover who has some offensive skill, but is only good defensively when it is one on one. He doesn't really thrive in a five-man unit or read and anticipate plays that well. I think his offensive contributions combined with his defensive liabilities are not worth his contract.
I’d withhold judgment until he has steady partner other than Dunn, who just isn’t good match. He has been quite effective most of his career.

Reactions: BlueDream

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
They need to put Faulk back with Petro. He looks fine on the left side and that loads up our top 4 who will control the ice.

We have enough depth to overcome Tarasenko both in the short term and long term. And this may be our way to sign Petro. Some silver linings.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I still don't understand this idea that Faulk would need an incentive for Seattle to take him if he were exposed. Faulk would likely be one of the best defenseman available given his career up until this point and his talent. Even his contract is only about $500K - $1 million more than a typical top-4 defenseman would make heading into his UFA years.

If any incentive were needed for Seattle to take him, it would probably be a completely redundant piece the Blues would have no problem losing.

I don't know, I don't think this is a Marc-Edouard Vlasic situation like others do.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
My thoughts on this series from the main board:

I wasn’t concerned at all when the Blues went down 2-0. Their play in Games 1 and 2 was quality and showed they were finding their legs. My lone concern was Binnington as he looked very bad. However, I figured Allen would start Game 3 and then Game 4 after he played so well in Game 3.

The Blues have absolutely taken over this series in Games 3 and 4. Their 5 on 5 play went from controlling early on in the series to downright dominant the last two games. To top it off, the PK has improved significantly. They’ve picked up on Vancouver’s quick puck movement that had them running around out of position.

To put it simply, the Canucks don’t stand a chance of winning this series if their power play remains cold. They are not in the Blues’ league at even strength.

With that said, I’ll give Vancouver some credit moving forward. Markstrom has been rock solid. The Blues really haven’t found 100% of their offensive creativity but Markstrom has also just been very good. I also think the Vancouver D has bent but not broken. They’re overmatched but not making many costly errors.

The games are close despite the Blues really starting to take over the play the last two games. Anything is possible since Vancouver has offensive fire power and a good goalie. However, I think the Blues have finally found their Stanley Cup game thanks to a more consistent schedule. I’m sticking with my original Blues in 6 prediction.
Strong analysis. I agree with pretty much everything you said. The Canucks definitely have a punchers chance though as they do have some skilled players and can put the puck in the net. Blues need to stay out of the box and just don’t make dumb turnovers. Blues should be up at least 3 to 1 in my opinion. Keep hitting Pettersson and keep an eye on Miller and don’t let Horvat gain speed. Hughes is great at controlling the play but just keep to the periphery and he can be neutralized.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm late to this post season party. But I am excited by the two wins with Allen in net. Post season success is hard to come by, and you need some different players to come through and lead from one year to the next.

The Blues are a different team now - Bouwmeester out and probably gone for good, Tarasenko out and maybe gone for good, Faulk and Scandella in, Sanford a regular ( and got in a fight!) Binnington on the bench and Allen playing well. We haven't seen much from Sundqvist so far but Ryan O' Reilly is as good as ever.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
We could still trade Allen and free up another 4 million. Signing Pietrangelo now is absolutely doable. The following season we leave Faulk unprotected for the expansion draft, although we may have to offer a sweetener as an incentive.
We may know soon enough, but I don't think this is a given based on the play of both goalies over the last 10 months. Allen just isn't putting up better numbers, he looks like an entirely different goalie. Binnington has looked like a guy who has some holes in his game, especially physically. It's almost as if the league had 4 months with nothing else to do but break down his tendencies and create a "book" on how to beat him.

At this point, I think all options are on the table with respect to our goaltending. Trade Allen. Trade Binnington. Keep both. There are still a lot of questions at the moment and it may take 3 days (1st round exit) or 6-7 weeks (SCF appearance) to get the answers we need.

Reactions: TK 421

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
We may know soon enough, but I don't think this is a given based on the play of both goalies over the last 10 months. Allen just isn't putting up better numbers, he looks like an entirely different goalie. Binnington has looked like a guy who has some holes in his game, especially physically. It's almost as if the league had 4 months with nothing else to do but break down his tendencies and create a "book" on how to beat him.

At this point, I think all options are on the table with respect to our goaltending. Trade Allen. Trade Binnington. Keep both. There are still a lot of questions at the moment and it may take 3 days (1st round exit) or 6-7 weeks (SCF appearance) to get the answers we need.

I like Allen in a tandem, but he isn't a #1 that can carry the load consistently (which I think Binnington can be). The FO forcing him to be a true #1 in 2017-2018 was a large reason why they missed the postseason instead of playing Hutton more often.

Allen put up better stats with a smaller sample size, yes, but he's still the same guy. At this point, he's a younger version of Halak.

If he is able to win 12+ games as the goalie this post season(that would still give him the majority of wins needed for the SC), then there might be a different discussion.

I could very well be wrong about Binnington and he can be nothing more than a tandem goalie, but I'd rather find out that he can't be that on a shorter term contract and keeping Petro than keeping both and losing Petro.

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I like Allen in a tandem, but he isn't a #1 that can carry the load consistently (which I think Binnington can be). The FO forcing him to be a true #1 in 2017-2018 was a large reason why they missed the postseason instead of playing Hutton more often.

Allen put up better stats with a smaller sample size, yes, but he's still the same guy. At this point, he's a younger version of Halak.

If he is able to win 12+ games as the goalie this post season(that would still give him the majority of wins needed for the SC), then there might be a different discussion.

I could very well be wrong about Binnington and he can be nothing more than a tandem goalie, but I'd rather find out that he can't be that on a shorter term contract and keeping Petro than keeping both and losing Petro.
I completely disagree with the bolded.

2017-18 Allen was skittish, lacked confidence, was unnecessarily active in front of the net and had difficulty tracking pucks. 2019-20 Allen looks more confident, has quieted his movements (especially laterally) and has improved his puck tracking greatly. The jury is still out as to whether or not he is #1 material, but we may soon see if Berube allows him to keep the net and he takes us on a deep run.

Right now, I am more confident with Allen in the net than Binnington, but goalies are fickle and that could change in a blink. Right now, I am concerned about Binnington and whether or not he is truly healthy, or if the carriage is turning back into a pumpkin, because he is not the same guy that won 16 games last season in the playoffs and stole a good many of those. Right now, Allen is way, WAY better than the 2017-18 version of himself.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

2017-18 Allen was skittish, lacked confidence, was unnecessarily active in front of the net and had difficulty tracking pucks. 2019-20 Allen looks more confident, has quieted his movements (especially laterally) and has improved his puck tracking greatly. The jury is still out as to whether or not he is #1 material, but we may soon see if Berube allows him to keep the net and he takes us on a deep run.

Right now, I am more confident with Allen in the net than Binnington, but goalies are fickle and that could change in a blink. Right now, I am concerned about Binnington and whether or not he is truly healthy, or if the carriage is turning back into a pumpkin, because he is not the same guy that won 16 games last season in the playoffs and stole a good many of those. Right now, Allen is way, WAY better than the 2017-18 version of himself.

As far as I’m concerned, the book has been written on Allen with regards to being anything more than a tandem goalie.

He’s been given multiple opportunities (2016-end of 2019 calendar year) to be a true #1 and has never shown that he can sustain success as a true workhorse. He showed a glimpse of being one during the 2016-2017 season, but then reverted.

Last season, the scheme was trash to begin the season defensively, so I don’t fault him too much, but he came in without a backup to push him.

Binnington will likely not put up a full season stretch comparable to what he did from January 2019-end of regular season. But what he did last post season, plus before the pause, is certainty sustainable.

A few games in a bubble in which he wasn’t been at his best doesn’t change what he can or can’t do.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I agree with all this. I see no way Berube goes back to Binnington unless/until Allen has a poor outing. Jake Allen has the best save percentage of the 36 goalies who have played this postseason. Read it again. Meanwhile, Binnington has the 3rd worst (ranked 34th).

Allen looks calm and steady. I’m not sure if he can make the spectacular save on a breakaway. I’m normally more confident in Binnington for that. But he isn’t sharp right now, and worse, his body language lacks confidence. We’ve never seen Binnington look like this since being called up.

Jordan is a very competitive guy, though. I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t pull it together. I’m just not sure when he’ll get the chance to play again to show it. Allen was classy and supportive through Binnington’s run last year. I certainly hope Jordan can reciprocate. It would be a hell of a story if Allen gets to be the hero this year and lead the team to the SCF.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I agree with all this. I see no way Berube goes back to Binnington unless/until Allen has a poor outing. Jake Allen has the best save percentage of the 36 goalies who have played this postseason. Read it again. Meanwhile, Binnington has the 3rd worst (ranked 34th).

Allen looks calm and steady. I’m not sure if he can make the spectacular save on a breakaway. I’m normally more confident in Binnington for that. But he isn’t sharp right now, and worse, his body language lacks confidence. We’ve never seen Binnington look like this since being called up.

Jordan is a very competitive guy, though. I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t pull it together. I’m just not sure when he’ll get the chance to play again to show it. Allen was classy and supportive through Binnington’s run last year. I certainly hope Jordan can reciprocate. It would be a hell of a story if Allen gets to be the hero this year and lead the team to the SCF.

Honestly, Allen is ON right now. You ride that until he comes down and hopefully Binnington is ready to go at that stage.

Allen's woes seem to be largely psychological, and playing in an empty stadium seems to circumvent that. Until he falters, I expect to see him start.

Binny likely gets the nod early in the next series to give Allen some rest and to see if he's regained some of that swagger he needs to perform at a high level.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Honestly, Allen is ON right now. You ride that until he comes down and hopefully Binnington is ready to go at that stage.

Allen's woes seem to be largely psychological, and playing in an empty stadium seems to circumvent that. Until he falters, I expect to see him start.

Binny likely gets the nod early in the next series to give Allen some rest and to see if he's regained some of that swagger he needs to perform at a high level.
If there is another back to back, I would start Binnington. I’m not sure what the later rounds schedules will look like. Of course, the Blues need to take care of business with Vancouver first.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Sure felt like the Blues let one get away last night. He thing I found most disturbing was the way they came out in the 3rd. They looked tired, or just lacking in energy.

Any chance Berube returns to Binnington?

I think he should return to Binnington. Binnington is the #1. Allen, as the backup, shouldn't have as long as a leash as Binnington does as the #1. I agree with going with Allen last night because we should ride him until he has an off game. That off game happened so I think it's time to go back to Binner.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think he should return to Binnington. Binnington is the #1. Allen, as the backup, shouldn't have as long as a leash as Binnington does as the #1. I agree with going with Allen last night because we should ride him until he has an off game. That off game happened so I think it's time to go back to Binner.
I agree.

Reactions: MissouriMook

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Sad to see it end like this. Weird season, to say the least! Our game takes time to build...just couldn't jump start it the way this disjointed and compressed post season demanded. On the bright side, Faulk looked fantastic, Scandella picked up his game and played well, and Jake added some value in case a trade is necessary.

I am very excited for next season, as John Kelly said, whenever that is.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Sad to see it end like this. Weird season, to say the least! Our game takes time to build...just couldn't jump start it the way this disjointed and compressed post season demanded. On the bright side, Faulk looked fantastic, Scandella picked up his game and played well, and Jake added some value in case a trade is necessary.

I am very excited for next season, as John Kelly said, whenever that is.
Fauk did not look fantastic. He wasn't our worst player or even our worst defenseman, but he made a lot of defensive errors.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Or Binnington went 4 months without playing and didn't find his groove in 6 games. You can try to read into the situation all you want, but nobody looked good in the 10 games we played so making a sacrificial lamb is short sighted

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Fauk did not look fantastic. He wasn't our worst player or even our worst defenseman, but he made a lot of defensive errors.
Agreed. But even if Faulk looked good at times, EVEN IN GAME 6 Berube didn’t seem to know how to make 3 steady pairings out of a healthy D corps. This trade/extension has been ridicules a lot. I don’t think that Faulk in and of himself is a problem. I just don’t see how this was supposed to fit together, and it never really did. They patched things together through the regular season, but it got exposed badly in the postseason.

Scandella-Parayko might work with more time together. But Scandella lacks the hockey sense of JayBo (and the recoverability JayBo’s mobility provided, yes even this late in his career). That’s nobody’s fault, and Scandella was about as good a solution as there was available. But it’s a downgrade.

When I saw that Parayko and Pietro were put together in the opening lineup tonight, I had a sinking feeling. I hoped maybe it was just gamesmanship to worry the Canucks, and wasn’t really the plan. But what it really communicated was, “I know our pairings aren’t working and I’m out of ideas to fix them.”

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
faulk gets alot of hate but dunn was the real problem. that dude cant play D at all. ill take faulk at 6 million or whatever over dunn at whatever he has coming any day of the week. 55 was off the entire bubble. looked awful. you could tell who wanted to be there and who didnt. sundqvist was also a big bust for me too.

if it continues into next season ill get concerned, but as of now i really dont give a shit what happened in the bubble. it was a gimmick tourney and the blues played like morons.

Reactions: Blueston and jura

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Binnington got figured out, he let in 7 goals low blocker side. He's gonna have to put in work this offseason because players are just going to keep targeting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad