St Louis Blues 2020 Post-Season Thread

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Fauk did not look fantastic. He wasn't our worst player or even our worst defenseman, but he made a lot of defensive errors.
He made some errors but was good overall and may have been our best defenseman this series. He was certainly only one who stepped up his game. On list of Blues problems this series, he is well down the list.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
He made some errors but was good overall and may have been our best defenseman this series. He was certainly only one who stepped up his game. On list of Blues problems this series, he is well down the list.

I have to disagree. He had the flashiest moments from our defensemen (aside from Dunn...awaiting influx of people ready to crucify me for complementing Dunn), but was not the best overall defensemen. He had two really good games (where he was probably our best), but outside of those two, he was making errant passes and decisions with the puck, while exhibiting subpar defensive positioning.

Petro was still our best overall defensemen. His defense was by far the best. His offensive game was not up to his usual standards, but he still consistently did a lot of unheralded things offensively.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Add the Blues to the list of teams that did not do well in the bubble environment. Washington, but they generally do not do well in the playoff environment, so I am hesitant to draw too many conclusions. Boston did not look good during the round-robin, but found their swagger for the first round. There are other, non top-four teams in each conference that look clueless for all or most of their limited stay.

While I am disappointed that we bowed out so easily and were generally as effective as a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest while in Edmonton, I can't really draw any more conclusions than that. It is easy to pick on Binnington, but the fact is our defense did not play well at all. Only in game 4 did we block more than 15 shots, and I would bet that most of our 26 that game were in the 15 or so minute stretch where we dominated the scoring chances. We didn't defend rushes well, too many times allowing them to become odd-man chances as they developed, including on sustained Vancouver pushes in the zone.

I think the loss of Bo showed. I don't hate Faulk, but I have serious questions about whether he can fit into the defensive scheme we play. That is not an editorial on his talent. There are things he does that I like, things he does that I shake my head at, which means he is not worth the $6.5M or so he costs us next year. If we lose Petro, Faulk becomes more important.....if he can do it. I see flashes, maybe more than flashes, but at his price I need to see more than that. My jury is out on Scandella.

In net, I thought as we entered this year that it probably had to be Allen's last with us. He did a good job in the role he played, but his history suggests he can't be much more than what he did this year and be consistently effective. Again, that comes down to value. At 30, do we want to commit upwards of $4.5M to him next year, or do we want to give Husso a shot or find someone else for that role at a lesser price? I will admit a bias on Binnington, and not the obvious "we don't win our first Cup without him" bias. I have seen many other goalies be lights out in their first year and then suffer the "sophomore slump." I thought he played pretty well before the break, not spectacular, but pretty well. If that is a sophomore slump, it is worth betting his salary he gets past it. Of course, his is a UFA (as is Allen) after this next season, which is part of the reason I want to see someone on the roster in the position who is signed beyond 2020.

I don't know if we resign Petro or not, but given the loss of Bo and its impact, I very much hope we find a way to do so. The other 2-ton gorilla in the room is what is up with Tarasenko?

Last edited:
Reactions: Celtic Note

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Count me in with the group not overly impressed with Faulk.

For all the raving by Pang and Kelly about his 2 or 3 “best games as a Blue” holyyyy f*** we are in a world of hurt because if those were his best games, he was still barely above average.

Reactions: simon IC

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Well this sucks.

But can't expect to win when the only players that played above, or at least at, their standard are Perron, O'Reilly, Schwartz, Schenn, and Allen. The defense on the whole was lacking. The goaltending, more specifically Binnington, wasn't anywhere it needed to be. And for as much flack Dunn is getting, Thomas is my vote for the most disappointing player of the tournament. He couldn't generate any consistent offensive pressure with his dumb passes and completely predictable zone entries.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I haven’t read through the entire Thread, but Canucks fan just coming to give you folks a virtual handshake. Several of you have come over to visit our Board & been very classy.

I Posted this in response to several of them, but there have been more visits since. You were very welcoming to me in your GDT’s this season and I enjoyed my time cheering your Boys on.

You’re good people on this Board from my experience. Every Board has its outliers, but your culture here is better than most IMHO.

Cheers & best of luck next year.
AA7F908C-9181-4565-A705-0678F562FF93.gif

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Armstrong made a lot of good moves to win the Cup but his blunders will require a rebuild going forward from here.

Time to break this gang up and start over.

One Cup every 50 years - I'll take it.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Well this sucks.

But can't expect to win when the only players that played above, or at least at, their standard are Perron, O'Reilly, Schwartz, Schenn, and Allen. The defense on the whole was lacking. The goaltending, more specifically Binnington, wasn't anywhere it needed to be. And for as much flack Dunn is getting, Thomas is my vote for the most disappointing player of the tournament. He couldn't generate any consistent offensive pressure with his dumb passes and completely predictable zone entries.
thomas needs to shoot the puck more for sure. but dunn was still the worst player in the bubble, 55 and binner really looked bad in the bubble too.

Last edited:

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Armstrong made a lot of good moves to win the Cup but his blunders will require a rebuild going forward from here.

Time to break this gang up and start over.

One Cup every 50 years - I'll take it.

What blunders are you referring to?

There's no contract on the Blues that's damaging long term currently (that includes Faulk). There's no great assets that he gave away recently either that are going to set the team back(Oshie was the last trade that he didn't great value on long term).

If you're referring to Petro possibly leaving, it's a two way street. Armstrong consistently has shown he won't sign someone to a contract if he's uncomfortable with the term(Backes and Brouwer are the two prime examples) but I don't think he's going to just not negotiate with Petro. Petro also has to want to stay here, too.

If the Blues don't offer close to top dollar or term, and/or Petro doesn't want to be back, there's not much to be said.

Losing Petro would stink.

Reactions: Blueston

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Well this sucks.

You forgot Thomas. He was right up there with O'Reilly and Perron.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If it makes you guys feel better Minus when the Pens went back to back. Since the 2014 Cup finals Every cup winner got bounced in the 1st round the next year. (Or Didn't even make it like the Kings in the 2014/15 season.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think you missed the rest of my post where I stated that Thomas was bad.
I guess I did. I'll admit that Thomas made some poor decisions and poor plays on defence, and that a LOT (most of his good passes came to nothing, mostly because his linemates or shiftmates (D-men) weren't in position to receive his great pass and score. But he was hustling a lot - right up there with O'Reilly, Perron, and Schwartz. He was skating well, avoiding The Canucks' pressure more than most of the other Blues, retrieving loose pucks, and making excellent passes. But most of the rest of his team were not in position a lot of the time. He took a lot of shots in this series because his teammates weren't scoring much 5 on 5, and often not in position to receive his passes. He made several good shots on goal, but, unfortunately, only 2 went in (Markström was playing as good as ever). Most of The Blues just didn't seem to have enough energy enough of the time. That hurt the team both on offence and defence. Thomas is really young. Almost all NHL players at his age need to work a lot on their defensive games (why it's taken so long for Kyrou to play regularly. I guess I was exaggerating about Thomas' value in this series, considering most of it on offence failed to get onto the scoring columns, and I forgot to consider his weak defence. Anyway, I was happy that he is finally choosing to shoot, himself, when he has a decent opportunity, rather than pass off on every play, and that he was one of only a handful of Blues, who seemed fully engaged all series.

Last edited:

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
I guess I did. I'll admit that Thomas made some poor decisions and poor plays on defence, and that a LOT (most of his good passes came to nothing, mostly because his linemates or shiftmates (D-men) weren't in position to receive his great pass and score. But he was hustling a lot - right up their with O'Reilly, Perron, and Schwartz. He was skating well, avoiding The Canucks' pressure more than most of the other Blues, retrieving loose pucks, and making excellent passes. But most of the rest of his team were not in position a lot of the time. He took a lot of shots in this series because his teammates weren't scoring much 5 on 5, and often not in position to receive his passes. He made several good shots on goal, but, unfortunately, only 2 went in (Markström was playing as good as ever). Most of The Blues just didn't seem to have enough energy enough of the time. That hurt the team both on offence and defence. Thomas is really young. Almost all NHL players at his age need to work a lot on their defensive games (why it's taken so long for Kyrou to play regularly. I guess I was exaggerating about Thomas' value in this series, considering most of it on offence failed to get onto the scoring columns, and I forgot to consider his weak defence. Anyway, I was happy that he is finally choosing to shoot, himself, when he has a decent opportunity, rather than pass off on every play, and that he was one of only a handful of Blues, who seemed fully engaged all series.

he is future captain material imo

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I guess I did. I'll admit that Thomas made some poor decisions and poor plays on defence, and that a LOT (most of his good passes came to nothing, mostly because his linemates or shiftmates (D-men) weren't in position to receive his great pass and score. But he was hustling a lot - right up their with O'Reilly, Perron, and Schwartz. He was skating well, avoiding The Canucks' pressure more than most of the other Blues, retrieving loose pucks, and making excellent passes. But most of the rest of his team were not in position a lot of the time. He took a lot of shots in this series because his teammates weren't scoring much 5 on 5, and often not in position to receive his passes. He made several good shots on goal, but, unfortunately, only 2 went in (Markström was playing as good as ever). Most of The Blues just didn't seem to have enough energy enough of the time. That hurt the team both on offence and defence. Thomas is really young. Almost all NHL players at his age need to work a lot on their defensive games (why it's taken so long for Kyrou to play regularly. I guess I was exaggerating about Thomas' value in this series, considering most of it on offence failed to get onto the scoring columns, and I forgot to consider his weak defence. Anyway, I was happy that he is finally choosing to shoot, himself, when he has a decent opportunity, rather than pass off on every play, and that he was one of only a handful of Blues, who seemed fully engaged all series.

Thomas was just ok for me. My two biggest concerns were his decision making with the puck and his willingness to engage in puck battles.

While he did make some great passes, he also tried to force a lot of plays that resulted in possession changes. He also held onto the puck too long to the point where he limited his options. You can tell he is still trying to do things that he was successful in juniors that just won’t work very often in the NHL

The other problem is see is when the puck was close along the boards he would often just float away and wait for someone else to engage the battle.

He is going to have to figure out those two things in order to grow his game.

Reactions: Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Thomas was just ok for me. My two biggest concerns were his decision making with the puck and his willingness to engage in puck battles.

While he did make some great passes, he also tried to force a lot of plays that resulted in possession changes. He also held onto the puck too long to the point where he limited his options. You can tell he is still trying to do things that he was successful in juniors that just won’t work very often in the NHL

The other problem is see is when the puck was close along the boards he would often just float away and wait for someone else to engage the battle.

He is going to have to figure out those two things in order to grow his game.
Maroon and Bozak were good partners for him. If he’s going to need a high end finisher to take advantage of his passing, he needs to be able to win his own possession on the boards. Maroon (and Bozak) did a good job on the boards. That line lacked the finisher you’d like to see. But they could keep possession for long stretches.

I think the idea was that Blais could be that guy, but it never came together.

I know there are calls for Thomas to shoot more. I am not as optimistic about his shot as all that. I think Thomas could fit in well if the team had a couple more Schwartz and Perron types. I’m skeptical that Kyrou can ever play like that. Blais and Sanford could, but they each have to make the the commitment to playing that way. It doesn’t seem to be their natural instinct for either guy.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Maroon and Bozak were good partners for him. If he’s going to need a high end finisher to take advantage of his passing, he needs to be able to win his own possession on the boards. Maroon (and Bozak) did a good job on the boards. That line lacked the finisher you’d like to see. But they could keep possession for long stretches.

I think the idea was that Blais could be that guy, but it never came together.

I know there are calls for Thomas to shoot more. I am not as optimistic about his shot as all that. I think Thomas could fit in well if the team had a couple more Schwartz and Perron types. I’m skeptical that Kyrou can ever play like that. Blais and Sanford could, but they each have to make the the commitment to playing that way. It doesn’t seem to be their natural instinct for either guy.
I agree. I am not seeing the right parts on this team unless we are looking at the top 6, which we probably should. But, that means we become a more too heavy team and I am not sure we can be a Cup contender that way. We rely so heavy on maximum effort and distribution of that work load across 4 lines to make up for our lack of speed. I think getting too heavy at the top will mean that our players will fatigue with the extra minutes.

So getting back to Thomas, while I would like to see him surrounded with top 6 players and getting a top 6 role, I see the value in his current 3rd line role. If he were to stay where he is (not saying he should), I have a hard time seeing the compatible compliment. Blais is struggling to both produce and play consistently. Kyrou is way too passive and Thomas is somewhat similar in that regard (admittedly much better though). Sanford does’t seem to be enough of a board battler as well. I am not seeing anyone in that mix that is a great compliment, outside of Bozak, who probably has to go to make room for salary (and considering that he looks to be in decline).

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Is Klim Kostin going to be an NHL player? Can we transplant Maroon’s feistiness into him? He could be a good fit for Thomas. On rewatching last year, and Tampa’s postseason games, I’m surprised at how much hockey sense Maroon has.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Is Klim Kostin going to be an NHL player? Can we transplant Maroon’s feistiness into him? He could be a good fit for Thomas. On rewatching last year, and Tampa’s postseason games, I’m surprised at how much hockey sense Maroon has.
I am not sure if Klim will be one or not. I think he will cap out as a third line type player if he does. I am not enamored with him. He seems like a do it himself player. He doesn’t seem to utilize his teammates well in my viewings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad