St. Louis and San Jose Watch (1st round picks)

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
So, are we saying that there's a path where if STL and SJ both lose in the first round, we keep both picks this year and Anaheim gets one next year?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
So, are we saying that there's a path where if STL and SJ both lose in the first round, we keep both picks this year and Anaheim gets one next year?
It's a matter of which of the two picks winds up with Anaheim and which one ends up with Buffalo. One's going to each team regardless of the various outcomes.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

ST Louis pick will be either 17-20 or 28-31
San Jose pick can be 21-31

either get to conference finals its 28-31

If St Louis and San Jose dont make the conference finals
If St louis has teams below them advance to the finals they drop to 17-19
If San Jose has any team advance to the conference finals then they drop a spot (up to 4) so the pick would be 21-25,

Outside of both making the conference finals, the closest the two picks can be is 2 spots.
right now 4 teams between then and two play each other thus one getting eliminated.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
STL-WPG now tied at 2-2. SJ down 3-1 to VGK

We might just get this pick back up to 19 boys

We need the Avs to go ahead 3-1 tonight. An Avs-Knights 2nd round series guarantees one of them in the conference finals, and bumps STL to 19 assuming the Blues don't also make the conference finals. We could be locked into the STL pick as soon as next week if those series (Avs, Knights, Jets) go our way.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We need the Avs to go ahead 3-1 tonight. An Avs-Knights 2nd round series guarantees one of them in the conference finals, and bumps STL to 19 assuming the Blues don't also make the conference finals. We could be locked into the STL pick as soon as next week if those series (Avs, Knights, Jets) go our way.

It appears the Avs-Flames series is breaking in the Sabres favor. Now they just need the Jets to get it together...

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Even the stars winning helps correct? They would bump it down even more possibly. At this point it should come down to how deep the blues go.

It's a bit of a gamble hoping for Dallas to win. Dallas would have to be good enough to take out StL if StL beats WPG. But yeah, if everything goes Buffalo's way and Dallas wins the division, and CLB beats TOR/BOS, then Buffalo could pick as high as 17th.

Ronnbergundy

Jun 18, 2015
Frolunda
It's a bit of a gamble hoping for Dallas to win. Dallas would have to be good enough to take out StL if StL beats WPG. But yeah, if everything goes Buffalo's way and Dallas wins the division, and CLB beats TOR/BOS, then Buffalo could pick as high as 17th.

DAL winning would be great if STL loses first round. Otherwise I think Nashville is preferable.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
DAL winning would be great if STL loses first round. Otherwise I think Nashville is preferable.

I see I see, makes sense. Me thinks if the blues go down 3-2 tonight then I'll be pulling for the Stars. Roll the dice!!

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
How does Tampa and Calgary’s elimination help the Sabres if at all in the draft? We still need a Columbus or Colorado to go another round yes?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
How does Tampa and Calgary’s elimination help the Sabres if at all in the draft? We still need a Columbus or Colorado to go another round yes?

If Vegas eliminates San Jose, it guarantees that a team with a lesser record than the Blues will go to the Western Conference finals.

So long as the Blues don't make the WCF, they bump down from 20 to 16-19 and it becomes the Sabres pick.

Root for Vegas and the Jets.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
If Vegas eliminates San Jose, it guarantees that a team with a lesser record than the Blues will go to the Western Conference finals.

So long as the Blues don't make the WCF, they bump down from 20 to 16-19 and it becomes the Sabres pick.

jets look lost, let’s go Vegas

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Because of the 4 teams below ( dallas, vegas, Colorado, and Columbus) 2 woukd face each other the next round. The most in 3 to advance pushing St. Louis from 20 to only 17-19 with the loser of vegas- Colorado being below them at 16.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Blues dominating Jets.

Looking likely we will need Stars (or Preds) to upset Blues in Round 2 if we want that pick to be 17/18/19 instead of 28+.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Jets down 2-0 and being outshot 27-6 through 2.

upload_2019-4-20_20-57-16.gif

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I was kind of counting on the Jets to knock STL out when I saw that matchup, but they never got their s*** together in the playoffs.

I’m not sure how confident I am in Dallas (or NSH with the way they’re playing) beating STL now. Hoping for the best...

I really wish Botterill could have somehow just kept the better of the 2 picks so I didn’t have to worry about this. But hey, at least it makes the playoffs more exciting with something on the line for Buffalo.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I was kind of counting on the Jets to knock STL out when I saw that matchup, but they never got their s*** together in the playoffs.

I’m not sure how confident I am in Dallas (or NSH with the way they’re playing) beating STL now. Hoping for the best...

I really wish Botterill could have somehow just kept the better of the 2 picks so I didn’t have to worry about this. But hey, at least it makes the playoffs more exciting with something on the line for Buffalo.
Usually the team that is dealing the draft pick sets the conditions on the pick. Obviously it would have been better for the Sabres to retain the lower of the 2 picks.. I am surprised that Anaheim didn't push harder to set conditions that included all 3 of our 1st round picks ...like maybe in the event that St Louis and San Jose meet in the conference final...Anaheim would get Buffalo's 1st round pick.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Usually the team that is dealing the draft pick sets the conditions on the pick. Obviously it would have been better for the Sabres to retain the lower of the 2 picks.. I am surprised that Anaheim didn't push harder to set conditions that included all 3 of our 1st round picks ...like maybe in the event that St Louis and San Jose meet in the conference final...Anaheim would get Buffalo's 1st round pick.
Lol at that last part....4/20 was yesterday

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad