St. Louis and San Jose Watch (1st round picks)

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
"A few" is a small quantity. Potentially moving 10+ spots in the 1st round isn't a small quantity. Did you see Zemgus' post? The pick can end up anywhere from 17-31. If it's 20 or higher we lose it. Maybe it ends up being just 5 or 6 spots, but why take that risk? I have no idea what Murray would or wouldn't have accepted in a deal for Montour. I do know Botterill agreeing to this condition was a completely ****ing stupid brain dead act. Had this been a make or break condition for Murray I would have told him to pound salt if I were Botterill. You can't let other GM's walk all over you and insist you accept no win conditions like this and huge useless cap dump vets with term. GM's have to be laughing their balls off after they make these deals with Botterill. How there's a contingent of fans that can actually support these moronic moves is just beyond me.
Well put Matty, you were quicker on the reply lol

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
"A few" is a small quantity. Potentially moving 10+ spots in the 1st round isn't a small quantity. Did you see Zemgus' post? The pick can end up anywhere from 17-31. If it's 20 or higher we lose it. Maybe it ends up being just 5 or 6 spots, but why take that risk? I have no idea what Murray would or wouldn't have accepted in a deal for Montour. I do know Botterill agreeing to this condition was a completely ****ing stupid brain dead act. Had this been a make or break condition for Murray I would have told him to pound salt if I were Botterill. You can't let other GM's walk all over you and insist you accept no win conditions like this and huge useless cap dump vets with term. GM's have to be laughing their balls off after they make these deals with Botterill. How there's a contingent of fans that can actually support these moronic moves is just beyond me.

Going to say this one last time:

The condition on the trade, at this point, will only impact the pick a few spots.

If we hadn't traded the pick and STL goes the conference final, we would get pick 25 and 28+. I'm not too fussy about which of those picks get moved.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I mean........it's still possible that San Jose and St. Louis meet in the WCF. In which case, it is just a matter of a few spots.

And if STL makes the WCF and San Jose doesn't....and STL loses in the WCF........then I think it's a 4 spot difference, depending on who makes the CF.
Of course, but these people who spoke in absolutes like it wasn't a big deal and there was no potential for a huge drop down the 1st round to happen as a result of these conditions were just so out to lunch. Could it play out that way? Sure. Hell we could end up with a pick in the teens and everythings peachy, but it's gotta be the Sabres fan in me that just expects this stupid ass condition to end up biting us in the ass .

Reactions: Ralonzo

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Of course, but these people who spoke in absolutes like it wasn't a big deal and there was no potential for a huge drop down the 1st round to happen as a result of these conditions were just so out to lunch. Could it play out that way? Sure. Hell we could end up with a pick in the teens and everythings peachy, but it's gotta be the Sabres fan in me that just expects this stupid ass condition to end up biting us in the ass .

I'm in the same boat. It may only be anecdotal, but it seems like anything they can do, the do wrong.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I’m so lost. Can someone outline where we are at, and what picks we have and what we give up depending?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I’m so lost. Can someone outline where we are at, and what picks we have and what we give up depending?
If St. Louis loses to Dallas, then Buffalo retains the St. Louis pick (which would be between 17 and 19), and the San Jose pick would go to Anaheim. If St. Louis beats Dallas, then Anaheim gets whichever of the San Jose and St. Louis picks they want (which would be whichever one is better) and Buffalo retains the other.

Reactions: jBuds

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

If Botterill insisted on a condition that made you happy, ie - "take whichever pick is worse", isn't that an example of a GM (Botterill) trying to walk all over another GM?

Most of the complainers would've been happy if the trade included Anaheim just straight up getting the SJ pick. But now they would change their tune and complain anyway, saying Botterill should have insisted on Anaheim taking the worse pick. Complainers were in the room when the trade was worked out, so they know better. This place now...

Reactions: Reddawg

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
With the Dallas-St. Louis series being as cut and dry as it is, I'm not even mad about Vegas losing. Their fans need to suffer a little bit, I'm told it builds character.
That just works for players

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
This really is pretty simple to understand.

Seems like the Botts hate which seems fashionable at the moment is stopping people being able to use logic.
He certainly didnt help with his end of season press stumbler.
After years of disarray and the disaster of that was this season.
Fans deserve at least a bit of honesty and clarification not answers like I did the RoR trade to save cap?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
With the San Jose series not really mattering at this point (our pick is totally determined by the Dal/STL series) I am actually glad San Jose made the 2nd round.

If STL wins their 2nd round series, I damn well want San Jose to win theirs too.

That way the difference in picks is as minimal as possible.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
With the San Jose series not really mattering at this point (our pick is totally determined by the Dal/STL series) I am actually glad San Jose made the 2nd round.

If STL wins their 2nd round series, I damn well want San Jose to win theirs too.

That way the difference in picks is as minimal as possible.
If they both make the conference finals, though, that means one of them has to make the finals, meaning Buffalo would be picking 30 or 31. You'd rather see Buffalo's pick guaranteed to end up worse just because that also means the pick going to Anaheim is worse as well?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
If they both make the conference finals, though, that means one of them has to make the finals, meaning Buffalo would be picking 30 or 31. You'd rather see Buffalo's pick guaranteed to end up worse just because that also means the pick going to Anaheim is worse as well?
Guess I didn’t think about that.

In that case, no. I’d rather the Sabres get a bit better pick.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Man, our second 1st rounder could be as good as 17 or as bad as 31.

It may have already been discussed in here, but why did Botts want "top-19 protection" and not the more typical "top-20 protection." It's not going to matter, because St. Louis can't end up with the 20th pick anymore - it's either 17-19 or 28-31 at this point - but it just seems...odd. What was Botts' thought process on "top-19 protection?"

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Man, our second 1st rounder could be as good as 17 or as bad as 31.

It may have already been discussed in here, but why did Botts want "top-19 protection" and not the more typical "top-20 protection." It's not going to matter, because St. Louis can't end up with the 20th pick anymore - it's either 17-19 or 28-31 at this point - but it just seems...odd. What was Botts' thought process on "top-19 protection?"

It’s hard to figure out what a cap genius is thinking...

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
With the Dallas-St. Louis series being as cut and dry as it is, I'm not even mad about Vegas losing. Their fans need to suffer a little bit, I'm told it builds character.
I must already have character coming out of my ears, if that's true.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
If Botterill insisted on a condition that made you happy, ie - "take whichever pick is worse", isn't that an example of a GM (Botterill) trying to walk all over another GM?

Most of the complainers would've been happy if the trade included Anaheim just straight up getting the SJ pick. But now they would change their tune and complain anyway, saying Botterill should have insisted on Anaheim taking the worse pick. Complainers were in the room when the trade was worked out, so they know better. This place now...
Botterill hasn't "walked all over" any other GM in a trade unless you count a trade where the player said he'd only come here. Guess we got two groups in these parts. "complainers" aka Realists who can see the shit job Botterill has done to date and the group that blindly defends Botterill's every move aka sheep. I'd rather be labeled "a complainer" personally. God forbid fans come on a Sabres message board and vent about the subpar job being done by our GM. Is this a franchise devastating deal? No probably not, we got a pretty good player in Montour, but it's one more cut on the way to our death by a thousand cuts.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Botterill hasn't "walked all over" any other GM in a trade unless you count a trade where the player said he'd only come here. Guess we got two groups in these parts. "complainers" aka Realists who can see the **** job Botterill has done to date and the group that blindly defends Botterill's every move aka sheep. I'd rather be labeled "a complainer" personally. God forbid fans come on a Sabres message board and vent about the subpar job being done by our GM. Is this a franchise devastating deal? No probably not, we got a pretty good player in Montour, but it's one more cut on the way to our death by a thousand cuts.

Actually, the "realists" are currently throwing sarcastic hissy fits over stuff that isn't settled yet, media click bait, or completely made up in their own heads. Have fun with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad