SSM Greyhounds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie

Nice upgrade. Curious to see it up and in place and the quality of the screen. Our original scoreboard was suppose to be "state of the art" but always felt underwhelming... Could have to do with the lack of quality sound in the arena. Hopefully they addressed that also, had season tickets in 117 and from day one had a hard time understanding announcements.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
I always said put 2 or 3 15 year old kids running the clock and that thing would have fireworks! LOL Sorry no offense meant to the gentlemen who run it now, it's just technology and youth work better together! And trust me.....i'm an OLD fart! LOL

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
OHL a downgrade??

i can't even watch Lake State anymore. Last game we went to was 2 years ago and my 11 year old daughter asked to leave after the 2nd period cause it was boring. And they were ranked in the top 25 that year.

The OHL is certainly a better viewing experience, but there's an argument to be made that a player like Caufield would develop better against the older players in NCAA.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Tim Lukenda's $100,000 money-back Memorial Cup guarantee - SooToday.com

The city has now provided $400,000 for the Memorial Cup bid. That's an incredible figure for a city our size. Meanwhile, Oshawa is in the midst of a major dispute between the city and owner, resulting in talks of relocating the team elsewhere. We haven't seen these kinds of threats in several years in the OHL.

The Greyhounds and the city have been in lockstep throughout the process and have each other's full support. Those factors give us a nice advantage and some momentum going into the selection process. Keep your fingers crossed folks.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
We haven't seen these kinds of threats in several years in the OHL.
Not sure how "major" this disagreement actually is. Sounds more like idle threats than actual serious consideration of moving. Besides, hasn't Hamilton been threatening this for the last few years?

No doubt it's a positive sign that the Soo is rallying around the Greyhounds in this way, but I think you may be overstating any issues that may be present in Oshawa. Didn't Oshawa also just agree to support the Generals bid to the tune of $300k+?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Not sure how "major" this disagreement actually is. Sounds more like idle threats than actual serious consideration of moving. Besides, hasn't Hamilton been threatening this for the last few years?

No doubt it's a positive sign that the Soo is rallying around the Greyhounds in this way, but I think you may be overstating any issues that may be present in Oshawa. Didn't Oshawa also just agree to support the Generals bid to the tune of $300k+?

Exactly lol. The city just gave 360 thousand dollars to the Gens 19 days ago. But yes, let Fischaber pretend that whether the 10 new offices coming in will be going up top (what the owner wants) or underneath by the players area (what the city wants) is a "major dispute".

If people I was "major disputing" with were going to give me 360 grand, I'd be majorly disputing with a lot of people.

Reactions: shot caller

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

When the Greyhounds threatened relocation, it was a BIG deal here. You don't just pull out your trump card if there aren't big time problems. I can only speak from personal experience, but that kind of talk is scary for a fan.

I met some people from Oshawa today actually and they were extremely concerned. It seems that Tullio is not very popular there for obvious reasons.

I never said that their city didn't give financial support, but the fact that our city has given more support than one with a far, far larger population and tax base is a big deal. Lukenda is serious and so is the city.

Last edited:
Reactions: sudburydinnerjacket

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
When the Greyhounds threatened relocation, it was a BIG deal here. You don't just pull out your trump card if there aren't big time problems. I can only speak from personal experience, but that kind of talk is scary for a fan.

I met some people from Oshawa today actually and they were extremely concerned. It seems that Tullio is not very popular there for obvious reasons.

I never said that their city didn't give financial support, but the fact that our city has given more support than one with a far, far larger population and tax base is a big deal. Lukenda is serious and so is the city.
Right you met some people from Oshawa..... keep your spin going. Rocco is popular. He is well liked. He is posturing for more offices for his staff during Covid. The lease is up in 9 years. Pretty sure this has no effect on the Mem cup bid. The city already said they will not let The Gens leave in 9 years. Thx. Move on find another way to slam the Oshawa bid just like when you tried to spin it was a Covid hotspot when in fact there are 0 cases there. Trust me I am friends with a city councillor and they want to support in any way for the bid. So if makes you feel better go talk to those people from Oshawa who apparently speak for all

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Right you met some people from Oshawa..... keep your spin going. Rocco is popular. He is well liked. He is posturing for more offices for his staff during Covid. The lease is up in 9 years. Pretty sure this has no effect on the Mem cup bid. The city already said they will not let The Gens leave in 9 years. Thx. Move on find another way to slam the Oshawa bid just like when you tried to spin it was a Covid hotspot when in fact there are 0 cases there. Trust me I am friends with a city councillor and they want to support in any way for the bid. So if makes you feel better go talk to those people from Oshawa who apparently speak for all

God I hate Tullio. Making the arena into an NHL level state of the art facility is the worst!

he paid 60% from his own pocket for a new scoreboard despite the fact the city gets the ad money from it? Who cares, screw that guy!

He’s doing everything he possibly can to bring a memorial cup here??? He’s the worst!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Someone refuting your bad take is not a personal attack no matter how much people associate bad takes with your online persona.

The personal attacks and false statements were removed from their posts by moderators. I have no objection to disagreement with my statements.

Back to the Greyhounds, the team released some information on the upcoming season for my fellow season ticket holders:

IMPORTANT Season Ticket Information – Soo Greyhounds

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I have been thinking about our needs going into this season as a contender, and I think I am settling on the following lines:

TRADE - Pytlik - Trott
Carroll - Kerins - MacKay
Kartye - Johnston - Dickinson
Boudreau - McConnell-Barker - McLean
Others: Mufarreh, Watson

O'Rourke - Constantinou
TRADE - LeGuerrier
Calisti - Holmes
Others: Wawrow, Halushak

Malik
TRADE (OA)
Others: Taylor

Thoughts?

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
I have been thinking about our needs going into this season as a contender, and I think I am settling on the following lines:

TRADE - Pytlik - Trott
Carroll - Kerins - MacKay
Kartye - Johnston - Dickinson
Boudreau - McConnell-Barker - McLean
Others: Mufarreh, Watson

O'Rourke - Constantinou
TRADE - LeGuerrier
Calisti - Holmes
Others: Wawrow, Halushak

Malik
TRADE (OA)
Others: Taylor

Thoughts?
It will be difficult keeping a few of our prospects off of this lineup.
Tyler Savard - 50 pts in 40 games for the thunderbirds while being listed at 6’2 - I can’t imagine there will be room for a player like Mufarreh or Watson. With how much they rode the bubble this past season... Savard being a year younger, their experience isn’t enough to warrant holding off some of these game ready prospects... I can see a few of the returnees being on the outside looking in.

I wouldn’t be totally surprised if Mclean, Mufarreh and Watson all part ways.

Other than that, I also wouldn’t want to put too much money against a line up that looks like the one you’ve put together.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I would also take a look at D'Intino and Parsons, and Toms will have his name up there I am sure. There also would have to be at least one more significant younger body going out to land that first line winger (unless Caufield reports).

Reactions: shot caller

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Wanting to get a feel for how other contenders are built, I analyzed forwards on the top 4 teams last year, sorted by Pts/Gm as follows:
London
First 3 forwards (McMichael-Foudy-Gruden) 156GP, 236Pts, 1.51 Pts/Gm
Second 3 forwards (Evangelista-Stranges-Dunkley) 185GP, 135Pts, 0.73 Pts/Gm
Third 3 forwards (Willms-Moskal-McCue) 117GP, 45Pts, 0.38 Pts/Gm

Peterborough
First 3 forwards (Robertson-Thomas-SDA) 123GP, 201Pts, 1.63 Pts/Gm
Second 3 forwards (Gallant-Kirk-McTavish) 163GP, 157Pts, 0.96 Pts/Gm
Third 3 forwards (Grondin-Hinz-Robertson) 173GP, 79Pts, 0.46 Pts/Gm

Ottawa
First 3 forwards (Rossi-Gareffa-Quinn) 170GP, 299Pts, 1.76 Pts/Gm
Second 3 forwards (Keating-Hoelscher-Clarke) 136GP, 182Pts, 1.34 Pts/Gm
Third 3 forwards (Belanger-Groulx-Tolnai) 137GP, 64Pts, 0.47 Pts/Gm

Saginaw
First 3 forwards (Perfetti-Suzuki-Coskey) 146GP, 226Pts, 1.55 Pts/Gm
Second 3 forwards (Giroux-Busdeker-Jenkins) 170GP, 172Pts, 1.01 Pts/Gm
Third 3 forwards (Katic-Antropov-Goldowski) 162GP, 91Pts, 0.56 Pts/Gm

Averages
Some of these numbers are all over the map, but for the purposes of this exercise I dropped the highest and lowest number and then averaged the remaining two.
First 3 forwards 1.59 Pts/Gm
Second 3 forwards 0.99 Pts/Gm
Third 3 forwards 0.47 Pts/Gm

I compared this to the Soo last year, after removing graduating players (Peca)
Soo
First 3 forwards (Trott-Kerins-Pytlik) 182GP, 175Pts, 0.96 Pts/Gm
Second 3 forwards (Kartye-MacKay-Carroll) 180GP, 144Pts, 0.80 Pts/Gm
Third 3 forwards (Dickinson-Johnston-Mufarreh) 160GP, 73Pts, 0.46 Pts/Gm

Conclusions
Our depth is even better than I expected. Our third "line" already scores at the pace of a contender's third line, and our second "line" only need to increase production by 25% to score at the pace of a contender's second line which should be achievable. The challenge will be increasing the production of our first "line" by 50% to reach that of a contender. This will likely require adding a big fish at the deadline.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Wanting to get a feel for how other contenders are built, I analyzed forwards on the top 4 teams last year, sorted by Pts/Gm as follows:
London

Peterborough

Ottawa

Saginaw

Averages
Some of these numbers are all over the map, but for the purposes of this exercise I dropped the highest and lowest number and then averaged the remaining two.

Soo

Conclusions
Our depth is even better than I expected. Our third "line" already scores at the pace of a contender's third line, and our second "line" only need to increase production by 25% to score at the pace of a contender's second line which should be achievable. The challenge will be increasing the production of our first "line" by 50% to reach that of a contender. This will likely require adding a big fish at the deadline.
Impressive list. I do think it’s just as beneficial to look at past conference and OHL champions to get a big picture for what type of offensive production it takes to actually win a championship

I once did this a few years back. A real quick look again and 9 of the last 11 champions have had 5+ forwards with over 1.00 PPG. Hamilton(2018) and London(2013) the only outliers. Hamilton was close with their 5th forward having 0.95 PPG

Most of these champions also have 2/3 players over 1.50 PPG and at least one player over 1.85 PPG

Reactions: HockeyPops

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
London

Peterborough

Ottawa

Saginaw

Averages

Soo

Conclusions

Also not a coincidence that Ottawa/Peterborough/London were the top 3 teams and also had 3 of the top 4 goalies in the league last season

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
"The additions easily make the Gardens the most modern and technologically advanced arena in the OHL."

I'm very excited to see the changes during a game setting after such a bold statement. The team is certainly doing everything right for the Memorial Cup bid.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
London

Peterborough

Ottawa

Saginaw

Averages

Soo

Conclusions

I like your thinking ....one issue I’d suggest is that while you loose no one from your top line, Saginaw only looses one and they replace him with a high end Euro. What is worse is that you play in the same division.

London and Peterborough look to loose entire top line....Ottawa similar with two out of three gone. Those teams may have some issues scoring anywhere near the same pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad