SSM Greyhounds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Has D'Intino singed with the club yet?
I suspect he is a front runner for one of the last 2 forward spots on the roster, but I don't expect any more signings other than perhaps Toms before training camp.

Assuming Toms signs, here is our approximate depth chart as it stands right now. 13 forwards, 8 defense, 2 goalies. Including 2 OA & 2 imports.

LWCRWLDRDG
Kartye L (01)Pytlik R (01)Trott L (00) - OAO'Rourke L (02)Constantinou R (01)Malik L (02)
Carroll L (01)Kerins L (02)MacKay R (01)LeGuerrier L (00) - OAWawrow R (01)Taylor, E L (01)
Dickinson L (02)Johnston L (01)Watson R (02)Calisti L (01)
Boudreau L (03)McLean L (01)Halushak L (02)
Mufarreh R (02)Holmes L (03)
McConnell-Barker L (04)Toms L (04)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Going into a contending year I would expect 24-25 players to be rostered out of training camp, likely 1-2 more forwards. However, the Malik situation, plus the ability to add another OA, raises more questions than it answers.

For example, if Raftis release Malik and drafts another import, I think it is highly likely that he would draft a forward rather than a goalie. Assuming the new import reports, and Raftis trades for an OA goalie, suddenly our roster is already at 24 without signing any more '03s. Further, if Raftis is somehow able to sign an American (Caufield, Beecher) then there is no room unless they beat out a previously rostered player.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I suspect he is a front runner for one of the last 2 forward spots on the roster, but I don't expect any more signings other than perhaps Toms before training camp.

Assuming Toms signs, here is our approximate depth chart as it stands right now. 13 forwards, 8 defense, 2 goalies. Including 2 OA & 2 imports.

LWCRWLDRDG
Kartye L (01)Pytlik R (01)Trott L (00) - OAO'Rourke L (02)Constantinou R (01)Malik L (02)
Carroll L (01)Kerins L (02)MacKay R (01)LeGuerrier L (00) - OAWawrow R (01)Taylor, E L (01)
Dickinson L (02)Johnston L (01)Watson R (02)Calisti L (01)
Boudreau L (03)McLean L (01)Halushak L (02)
Mufarreh R (02)Holmes L (03)
McConnell-Barker L (04)Toms L (04)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Going into a contending year I would expect 24-25 players to be rostered out of training camp, likely 1-2 more forwards. However, the Malik situation, plus the ability to add another OA, raises more questions than it answers.

For example, if Raftis release Malik and drafts another import, I think it is highly likely that he would draft a forward rather than a goalie. Assuming the new import reports, and Raftis trades for an OA goalie, suddenly our roster is already at 24 without signing any more '03s. Further, if Raftis is somehow able to sign an American (Caufield, Beecher) then there is no room unless they beat out a previously rostered player.

Despite being a left shot, I think we can safely call Holmes a RD. He was drafted as such and played the majority, if not all, of last season on the right side.

The defense looks very good with 188 points returning. That number leads the league by a grand canyon sized margin. Add a competent goalie being them and we're looking pretty solid.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I'm okay if Malik doesn't come...if we can add an OA goalie or look out west again.

The chance to get a top 10 scorer...that's appealing. Malik was good, but was he that much better than a possible oa tendy we may bring in?

Like he said in an earlier article, Raftis has to do his due diligence. Hard to pass up a top 10 import pick IMO. Could even take a better goalie at that spot..

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If we use our last OA spot on a goalie, it means we will forego an opportunity to add a top OA winger (a player who would probably average 1.25 Pts/Gm). Landing an import that would add that kind of offense this season is incredibly unlikely. So even if Malik is not better than a potential OA goalie addition, the opportunity cost of losing Malik might make the team weaker overall. Then we still need to convince the new import to report here.

Raftis definitely needs to complete his due diligence.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I'm okay if Malik doesn't come...if we can add an OA goalie or look out west again.

The chance to get a top 10 scorer...that's appealing. Malik was good, but was he that much better than a possible oa tendy we may bring in?

Like he said in an earlier article, Raftis has to do his due diligence. Hard to pass up a top 10 import pick IMO. Could even take a better goalie at that spot..

Some other factors to consider:

-Malik is free, we already have him. A better OA would cost a lot.
-Malik was a 17 year old goalie last year. They can develop quickly.
-We would have Malik for additional seasons after this one.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
First off, congrats on the return of two high end euros.
RE: Import Draft
It's my understanding that the selections are often pre-arranged, known in advance and the actual selection a mere formality. Is that consistent with your take?
And as long as I'm here, would you complete this sentence...?
"The restaurant(s) in the Soo with the most authentic Italian cuisine is..."
I'll show myself out...

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
First off, congrats on the return of two high end euros.
RE: Import Draft
It's my understanding that the selections are often pre-arranged, known in advance and the actual selection a mere formality. Is that consistent with your take?
I don't pretend to have any inside information on the closed door conversations that happen prior to the import draft, but I would expect that at least the top few of the most desireable teams probably operate this way. I expect every so often another team might play spoiler and take a player with a prearranged agreement with another team.

And as long as I'm here, would you complete this sentence...?
"The restaurant(s) in the Soo with the most authentic Italian cuisine is..."
You really can't go wrong if that's what you're looking for in the Soo. Everywhere has good pizza. Great meatballs (I don't even bother ordering meatballs in other cities because they can't compare). A few of my favourites would probably be ($) Muio's / Sportscenter, ($$) Uncle Gino's / Aurora's / Sandro's, ($$$) Arturo's / Giovanni's / North 82, but as I said you really can't go wrong. If, however, you are looking for any other kind of cuisine, you probably want to look elsewhere!

Reactions: nelli27

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I don't pretend to have any inside information on the closed door conversations that happen prior to the import draft, but I would expect that at least the top few of the most desireable teams probably operate this way. I expect every so often another team might play spoiler and take a player with a prearranged agreement with another team.

You really can't go wrong if that's what you're looking for in the Soo. Everywhere has good pizza. Great meatballs (I don't even bother ordering meatballs in other cities because they can't compare). A few of my favourites would probably be ($) Muio's / Sportscenter, ($$) Uncle Gino's / Aurora's / Sandro's, ($$$) Arturo's / Giovanni's / North 82, but as I said you really can't go wrong. If, however, you are looking for any other kind of cuisine, you probably want to look elsewhere!

Living in the Soo almost ruins pizza for you. I found a couple of comparable places in Chicago, but the rest of Ontario is a wasteland of horrible pizza.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Biggest 2020 NHL Draft Sleeper from the OHL?
Mark: I will continue beating this drum all offseason and beyond. Although some don’t see him as a sleeper, many have him outside the first round. Ryan O’Rourke, in my mind, is a future NHL captain and could be the next Duncan Keith. He plays with an edge, is an incredible leader and can play in all situations. He has the ability to bring his teammates into the game whether it’s physical play or his willingness to drop the gloves. He is everything you want in a defenseman.
Mathieu: My sleeper pick has to be Rory Kerins from the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. Having watched him a lot this past season, he does every little thing right. Not overly flashy, Kerins has great offensive skills and is equally adept in the defensive zone. He reads the play really well and is rarely caught out of position. I think he can develop into a solid two-way player in the NHL and could benefit a team really well down the line.
https://thehockeywriters.com/ohl-2020-nhl-draft-sleepers-offseason/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad