SSM Greyhounds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I like your thinking ....one issue I’d suggest is that while you loose no one from your top line, Saginaw only looses one and they replace him with a high end Euro. What is worse is that you play in the same division.

London and Peterborough look to loose entire top line....Ottawa similar with two out of three gone. Those teams may have some issues scoring anywhere near the same pace.
Saginaw also is expected to lose much more depth. Their entire 2nd line could be gone next year, but at least 1-2 will be

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Anyone have any pictures of the upgrades to the Gardens? Curious to see what ownership has put together for a Memorial Cup push. What is everyones views on that...? What are our current chances vs Oshawa? Im at the point i think its 50/50.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Anyone have any pictures of the upgrades to the Gardens? Curious to see what ownership has put together for a Memorial Cup push. What is everyones views on that...? What are our current chances vs Oshawa? Im at the point i think its 50/50.

The league asked the Greyhounds to make a bid and we have responded with a unified effort between the city and the team. The money and the arena upgrades are in our favour and the city has been the best in the province for Covid right from the start. The chances have to be good, but you just never know.

Reactions: nelli27

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It’s either college hockey or the Montreal Canadiens for Cole Caufield

According to the article, in an interview with the Athletic, Caufield says this about the OHL option:

I just don’t feel like that’s a really good option for me, even though they could start whenever they do. In college, just playing against older guys and stuff, I don’t think (the OHL) would prepare me enough. So I think the best option would be to just sign (with the Canadiens) if the college season doesn’t happen.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
It’s either college hockey or the Montreal Canadiens for Cole Caufield

According to the article, in an interview with the Athletic, Caufield says this about the OHL option:
That pretty much ends it right there, no?

I mean he basically shut it down as even a league he would be interested in, not just SSM

So unless Montreal significantly sways him, it’s probably not happening. And NHL teams are unlikely to push players like Caufield to the OHL. Happens with imports I think because they can use the “get used to NA hockey” excuse. The NCAA is older but that can’t take away from the high end skill at the OHL level

Unfortunately I think Cole is sooooo wrong here. The NCAA and CHL are two different leagues and it’s been noted. But he basically dumps on the CHL like it’s a junior B. Nearly 60% of the NHL rosters in the conference finals are CHL grads. I count 32 alone from the OHL, an average of 8 per roster

Caufield himself really got his high draft pick status because of someone like DeBrincat (same size, same goal scoring ability) paving the way. And the OHL sure did help DeBrincat develop.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It certainly doesn't sound good for our chances of enticing him to come. I wish the original article referenced wasn't behind a paywall so that I could read any further quotes to provide more colour to his comments.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Well I can understand Caufield thought process. After all didn't he dominate in the World Juniors last year playing with teenagers? LOL
We don’t need a player who thinks he is too good for this league
Good luck with the Habs next season big guy lol

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Well I can understand Caufield thought process. After all didn't he dominate in the World Juniors last year playing with teenagers? LOL
Lol I had to look his stats because I did not recall. Good one

I think it’s such a misinterpretation. The NCAA is older/bigger guys but the OHL lets players showcase more skill imo. Offense and skill is the top thing that wins.. which is the way the NHL has been trending for years now

Reactions: soo hound girl

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If he signs but NHL doesn't work out for Caufield this season, OHL is still an option but NCAA would not be. Bergeron knows the CHL is a good league for development.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I think the usual process is they do the bid presentations first, then announce the host.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Goalies

I have been thinking about what would be the most prudent course of action for our goalies this season. First, here is a list of the goalies in our system:

Malik, Nick ('02) - 2019 Import 1st
Taylor, Ethan ('01) - 2017 9th

Schenkel, Charlie ('04) - 2020 5th
Dunn, Nolan ('04) - 2020 11th
Muszelik, Tyler ('04) - 2020 15th USNTDP
Taylor, Coulter ('03) - 2019 7th
DiPasquo, Luca ('03) - 2019 12th
Ivanov, Samuel ('03) - 2019 U18 1st
Parker, Owen ('02) - 2018 10th NAHL
McIntyre, Justin ('02) - 2018 13th DEL2

Zeppa, Noah ('02) - 2019 U18 2nd

We have been assuming that Nick Malik is going to be back, but what happens if the border restrictions aren't loosened, and the imports cannot report? Does Raftis immediately make a trade for a veteran? Does he give the reins to Ethan Taylor? Does he let two younger goalies in our system battle it out? Does he deal for another young prospect from another team who is stuck in a numbers game?

I think it is clear that the team believes in Charlie Schenkel. We haven't spent a pick that high on a goalie since 2014. If Raftis hasn't made a deal for a veteran goalie by November 15 I think it's a lock that Schenkel is there, even with Covid potentially limiting attendees.

The elephant in the room is whether Ethan Taylor gets another chance. It certainly would be interesting to start the season with two unproven goalies. If one proves they are ready, they get the bulk of the starts until Malik can report or a deal is made. If neither proves ready, Raftis makes the quick deal for the vet.

What does everyone else think will happen?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Goalies

I have been thinking about what would be the most prudent course of action for our goalies this season. First, here is a list of the goalies in our system:

We have been assuming that Nick Malik is going to be back, but what happens if the border restrictions aren't loosened, and the imports cannot report? Does Raftis immediately make a trade for a veteran? Does he give the reins to Ethan Taylor? Does he let two younger goalies in our system battle it out? Does he deal for another young prospect from another team who is stuck in a numbers game?

I think it is clear that the team believes in Charlie Schenkel. We haven't spent a pick that high on a goalie since 2014. If Raftis hasn't made a deal for a veteran goalie by November 15 I think it's a lock that Schenkel is there, even with Covid potentially limiting attendees.

The elephant in the room is whether Ethan Taylor gets another chance. It certainly would be interesting to start the season with two unproven goalies. If one proves they are ready, they get the bulk of the starts until Malik can report or a deal is made. If neither proves ready, Raftis makes the quick deal for the vet.

I think that Malik will be here. Players are allowed to come to Canada if they follow the quarantine restrictions a d we have had plenty of time to figure that out.

As for the backup, we probably go with Taylor right now, but I think that Raftis will have his eyes peeled for a veteran backup.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Goalies

The fact that even when the Soo werent a playoff team and they were still playing an OA goalie from a different league over Taylor (and Taylor was only .885, not like he was playing unbelievable), I dont see how he'd ever be the guy next year. Clearly they dont trust him at all

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I think that Malik will be here. Players are allowed to come to Canada if they follow the quarantine restrictions a d we have had plenty of time to figure that out.
Are you sure? Can you point me to a confirmation of that? Everything I have read says otherwise.

... as the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League continues to work with the federal government to get approval for players selected in the Canadian Hockey League import draft to enter the country.
Charlottetown Islanders' roster 99 per cent complete | The Telegram

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Are you sure? Can you point me to a confirmation of that? Everything I have read says otherwise.

Charlottetown Islanders' roster 99 per cent complete | The Telegram

I have no way to confirm with a link, but a member of the team's staff knows when Nick is coming and what steps he has to take when he gets here. They seem to have all of their ducks in a row regarding this issue.

I know of one student from Europe who came to the Soo in August to complete her placement. People are still travelling here.

Reactions: HockeyPops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad