SSM Greyhounds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I don't read it the same way as you. I think it's 50/50.

I was going off him saying, "I have a contract in Třinec, so I should stay. I would like to. After all, boys' hockey is something else and the extra league is one level higher than the first league."

Sounds like he's saying he wants to play play in Trinec, no? And he has signed a contract with them so its not like the team would say no you can't play here. What from that article makes you think he's 50% leaning to OHL?

Reactions: Whatanathol

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I don't put too much weight on any one quote because of the questionable translation. But when I read the last 5 interview questions about the OHL, it seems to leave the door open. At least to me.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I tweeted that Raftis thinks the CZprospects tweet is wrong and they responded and doubled down and posted a pic of Malik on whatever team’s roster for next year. Sounds like Malik and his agent are about to screw over one team

I guess the "dumb" question is can he do both? Same as he did last year, play for Trinec for the the first part of the year and then after the WJT he comes back to play for the Soo? Maybe with their season starting earlier that is his plan?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I guess the "dumb" question is can he do both? Same as he did last year, play for Trinec for the the first part of the year and then after the WJT he comes back to play for the Soo? Maybe with their season starting earlier that is his plan?
Could be I guess. You'd think the pro team wouldn't let someone be their goalie for 2/3 months just for them to leave to go somewhere else but you never know I guess

And from Malik's side would you want to leave playing against professionals and a bunch of former NHLers to play against teenagers? And to go from being paid a professional salary to $300 a week?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
We'll find out Malik's status at the import draft. Raftis won't pass on a top 10 pick if he isn't sure. You can get an older UPL type guy.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
it seems like he's decided to stay in czech to me but time will tell.
the fact that Raftis "isn't worried" makes me angry. after all the BS in net last season it's on him if we enter another season without a #1 goalie, especially after an arrogant response like that. there's definitely a disconnect between what Malik is saying, and what Raftis is saying.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Way to rewrite history Dale. We had Propp last season, remember? By all accounts nobody was worried about our #1 heading into the season. If covid 19 forces Malik to stay home, you are also putting that on Raftis? Give your head a shake.

Now, that being said, Raftis has plenty if time to make adjustments to his roster if necessary. In a go for it year such as this, Raftis must ensure his goaltending is shored up to start this season, regardless of what did or did not transpire last season. Failure to do so will place the blame firmly at his feet.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The only issue with Malik leaving is who do you get to replace him? An OA goalie? Another import? There is already a rumour out there that the Greyhounds may be looking to move Taylor, and he is probably not going to work as a legit starter anyways if the team has any kind of real aspirations next year. I imagine they want to give one of their many prospects a shot at their backup job and then either get an OA or an Import to use as their starter.

The only quality Import goalie that seems to be a good bet to come over right now is Jan Bednar, but it is almost a foregone conclusion that Acadie-Bathurst is taking him #2 overall. After that, since it could be quite likely that Ottawa is heading for a rebuild (especially since it looks like Rossi is done in the OHL) and Ottawa may want to turn towards Cranley as their starter, perhaps Andree would be someone that makes sense. Taylor can go back the other way (along with picks) to be Cranley's backup.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The only issue with Malik leaving is who do you get to replace him? An OA goalie? Another import? There is already a rumour out there that the Greyhounds may be looking to move Taylor, and he is probably not going to work as a legit starter anyways if the team has any kind of real aspirations next year. I imagine they want to give one of their many prospects a shot at their backup job and then either get an OA or an Import to use as their starter.

The only quality Import goalie that seems to be a good bet to come over right now is Jan Bednar, but it is almost a foregone conclusion that Acadie-Bathurst is taking him #2 overall. After that, since it could be quite likely that Ottawa is heading for a rebuild (especially since it looks like Rossi is done in the OHL) and Ottawa may want to turn towards Cranley as their starter, perhaps Andree would be someone that makes sense. Taylor can go back the other way (along with picks) to be Cranley's backup.

Arturs Silovs is another option if we pass on an import and lose Malik. They surely want to roll with Greaves.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Way to rewrite history Dale. We had Propp last season, remember? By all accounts nobody was worried about our #1 heading into the season. If covid 19 forces Malik to stay home, you are also putting that on Raftis? Give your head a shake.

Now, that being said, Raftis has plenty if time to make adjustments to his roster if necessary. In a go for it year such as this, Raftis must ensure his goaltending is shored up to start this season, regardless of what did or did not transpire last season. Failure to do so will place the blame firmly at his feet.
I'm not rewriting anything. We went through three starters in one season. Do you see that as strong management? If you do then we'll have to agree to disagree.

All I'm getting at is exactly what you said in your last line. If he can't put an elite goalie in front of a team with elite potential that's on him. Saying he's not worried just strikes me as either foolish, arrogant, or both.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Frappier is an awesome player and Saginaw has too many OAs to begin with. Just not sure they would want to trade him to a Division rival.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Frappier is an awesome player and Saginaw has too many OAs to begin with. Just not sure they would want to trade him to a Division rival.
the 0.879 sv% last year (0.873 OHL career) should be a little concerning for a team looking to use an OA spot on a goalie. Andree from the 67's would still be the best option, Kai Edmonds would be next on my list.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Hounds' Holmes among 13 OHL players picked

Didn't see anyone comment on Holmes being invited to the U18 selection camp (even though the camp has been cancelled). Great achievement for Holmes, as he was one of only two defensemen chosen from the OHL. Clarke was a no brainer, but for Holmes to beat out Del Mastro & Enright who were drafted ahead of him was significant. There were also other defensemen who were drafted below him that may have been under consideration but Holmes was able to hold them off; Matier, Punnett, Christopolous, Motew.

Remember too that some believed the Greyhounds took Holmes too high last year. ProspectPipeline for example had 15 defensemen ranked above him just prior to the draft. While a few of them are not Canadian, there were still 9 Canadians ahead of him on this list that he beat out; and this distinction is worthy of high praise. I have included a link to last year's PP ranking below for reference.

2019 OHL Draft Ranking: Final Top-300

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Hounds' Holmes among 13 OHL players picked

Didn't see anyone comment on Holmes being invited to the U18 selection camp (even though the camp has been cancelled). Great achievement for Holmes, as he was one of only two defensemen chosen from the OHL. Clarke was a no brainer, but for Holmes to beat out Del Mastro & Enright who were drafted ahead of him was significant. There were also other defensemen who were drafted below him that may have been under consideration but Holmes was able to hold them off; Matier, Punnett, Christopolous, Motew.

Remember too that some believed the Greyhounds took Holmes too high last year. ProspectPipeline for example had 15 defensemen ranked above him just prior to the draft. While a few of them are not Canadian, there were still 9 Canadians ahead of him on this list that he beat out; and this distinction is worthy of high praise. I have included a link to last year's PP ranking below for reference.

2019 OHL Draft Ranking: Final Top-300
Holmes is a fine defensemen. But you have to remember that HC typically sticks with "their guys" and doesn't rock the boat too much. Considering this was a unique situation (honourary team) I don't think they would've changed much from their U17 team. Hockey Canada usually always goes with first round picks when selecting for their U17 teams and that's likely the case for Holmes at the time and now they aren't rocking the boat.

Im fairly certain that had the Hlinka tournament happen that the roster would look differently. Not saying Holmes wouldn't be on the team but he wouldn't be a lock imo.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Not buying what you are selling, sorry. If you look at the Ontario team that won silver at the Canada Winter Games last year, sure Holmes was on there, but so were Enright, Del Mastro, Punnett, and Schmidt. Holmes deserves recognition for his accomplishment, and why you believe otherwise is beyond me. Covid or not, these are the players that would have been in the running for the Hlinka roster.

Of course, only half those players invited to selection camp actually make the tournament roster. Whether or not Homer would have made the roster would depend more on the selection camp than anything else. Since that camp is canceled we will never know if he would have made that team. Nobody is saying he would be a lock for the Hlinka roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->