SSM Greyhounds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Some international students are exempt from travel restrictions, but I can't find hockey players from czech in the list of exemptions. Interesting.

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Who can travel to Canada – Citizens, permanent residents, foreign nationals and refugees - Canada.ca

The student I referenced came from Ireland if that helps at all. I'll see if I can get more information from her or my other friend and report what I find.

I don't think the rules on the government website are quite as rigid as they seem. American cottagers have been coming to Algoma all summer long, the airport has been quite busy, and there were over 6000 non commercial bridge crossings in August.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

Players who's rights are currently held by OHL teams:
SAR - Josh Nodler
SAR - Case McCarthy
SAR - Mitchell Miller

SOO - John Beecher
SOO - Cole Caufield

OSH - John Farinacci
OSH - Owen Lindmark

MIS - Robert Mastrosimone
MIS - Marshall Warren

WSR - Luke Tuch
WSR - Domenick Fensore

OTT - Dylan Peterson

LDN - Alex Vlasic

Reactions: PuckLife

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Reactions: rangersblues

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
O'Rourke to Minnesota #39
Pytlik to New Jersey #99
Dickinson to St Louis #119
Kerins to Calgary #174

Altogether a good draft. Thought Malik would go somewhere, but still 4 players drafted is probably the most in the league. Now we just hope that this group gets to play together.

Reactions: PuckLife

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Tallied the results. Soo lead the way with 4 picks in the draft. Sudbury & Ottawa each had 3, and 7 other teams had 2 picks. Owen Sound & Peterborough were shut out, as was Niagara (except Guschkin is committed there for this coming season).

39. Ryan O’Rourke (Soo Greyhounds) – Minnesota Wild*
99. Jaromir Pytlik (Soo Greyhounds) – New Jersey Devils*
119. Tanner Dickinson (Soo Greyhounds) – St. Louis Blues
174. Rory Kerins (Soo Greyhounds) – Calgary Flames

2. Quinton Byfield (Sudbury Wolves) – Los Angeles Kings*
93. Jack Thompson (Sudbury Wolves) – Tampa Bay Lightning*
141. Isaak Phillips (Sudbury Wolves) – Chicago Blackhawks

8. Jack Quinn (Ottawa 67’s) – Buffalo Sabres*
9. Marco Rossi (Ottawa 67’s) – Minnesota Wild*
163. Will Cranley (Ottawa 67’s) – St. Louis Bues

6. Jamie Drysdale (Erie Otters) – Anaheim Ducks*
172. Chad Yetman (Erie Otters) – Chicago Blackhawks

10. Cole Perfetti (Saginaw Spirit) – Winnipeg Jets*
205. Ilya Solovyov (Saginaw Spirit) – Calgary Flames

23. Tyson Foerster (Barrie Colts) – Philadelphia Flyers*
127. Evan Vierling (Barrie Colts) – New York Rangers

42. Luke Evangelista (London Knights) – Nashville Predators*
123. Antonio Stranges (London Knights) – Dallas Stars*

60. Will Cuylle (Windsor Spitfires) – New York Rangers*
75. Jean-Luc Foudy (Windsor Spitfires) – Colorado Avalanche*

63. Donovan Sebrango (Kitchener Rangers) – Detroit Red Wings*
217. Declan McDonnell (Kitchener Rangers) – Tampa Bay Lightning

94. Zayde Wisdom (Kingston Frontenacs) – Philadelphia Flyers
128. Martin Chromiak (Kingston Frontenacs) – Los Angeles Kings

27. Jacob Perreault (Sarnia Sting) – Anaheim Ducks*

48. Jan Mysak (Hamilton Bulldogs) – Montreal Canadiens

76. Danil Gushchin (Niagara IceDogs) – San Jose Sharks** committed to NIA

84. Nico Daws (Guelph Storm) – New Jersey Devils*

98. Brandon Coe (North Bay Battalion) – San Jose Sharks*

126. Ty Tullio (Oshawa Generals) – Edmonton Oilers

145. Ole Bjorgvik-Holm (Mississauga Steelheads) – Columbus Blue Jackets

162. Evgeniy Oksentyuk (Flint Firebirds) – Dallas Stars

Owen Sound Attack - no picks

Peterborough Petes - no picks

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
So, 3 centers got drafted. Good problem to have, I guess, but what does that mean for our lineup in 2020-2021? I can't imagine any NHL team wanting their guy playing 3rd line minutes?

If all 3 play in the top 6, I suspect our starting top 6 will be some combination of Pytlik, Dickinson, Kerins, Trott, Carroll, MacKay. But at the trade deadline if we reel in a big fish winger, who drops out? Carroll or MacKay perhaps? Too early to determine perhaps.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
So, 3 centers got drafted. Good problem to have, I guess, but what does that mean for our lineup in 2020-2021? I can't imagine any NHL team wanting their guy playing 3rd line minutes?

If all 3 play in the top 6, I suspect our starting top 6 will be some combination of Pytlik, Dickinson, Kerins, Trott, Carroll, MacKay. But at the trade deadline if we reel in a big fish winger, who drops out? Carroll or MacKay perhaps? Too early to determine perhaps.

Coach Dean has never seemed too inclined to roll with a traditional top 6. We've seen a variety of different forwards lead the team in ice time in different line combinations. Joe Carroll had some games with what seemed like 5 minutes and others with well over 20.

Reactions: HockeyPops

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015

The NHL seems sold on the Soo’s ability to develop players. No worries here IMHO.

jessb37

Mar 8, 2006
Hello All:

Long-time lurker and Greyhounds fan in North Carolina (go figure) here. Wife and myself had a great trip to the Soo a few Octobers ago and got to see two games. Have also seen the Hounds play in Kitchener, Oshawa and Saginaw. Spent six days in the area -- four on the Canadian side and two in Michigan. Didn't quite know what to expect, but it was an amazing journey. Drive from the Soo to Wawa was especially memorable and a great day trip.
Maybe a bit off-topic, but was wondering how life in that area is in the COVID era. When we were up there, had a restaurant server tell us that he went to LSSU and that a lot of the people on the Canadian side go to school there. I imagine there is also a cross-section of workers/shoppers/tourists, etc. who go over the bridge. Is the bridge completely closed these days? It's just a strange thought because Michigan seemed so close from our hotel room at the Delta.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any responses and keep posting -- this is one of my best sources for Hounds' info. Hope to get back up there in a few years if everything ever returns to normal.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Glad you enjoyed your trip up here jessb37. Nice to also see a Hounds fan who's not from here originally from far away as well. In response to your asking about the International Bridge, yes it's been closed to non-essential traffic since this past March. Only goods and services transportation is allowed back and forth. And as is the case with anyone who works at the hospital in Sault Michigan as well. We're not used to not being able to go across to shop or go to LSSU Lakers games as well as the restaurants over there. But this is a very strange time for everyone everywhere. COVID for the most part on this side of the river has been pretty sparse, i can't recall what the highest total for us has been thus far but we're fortunate we're in a smaller community i guess?
I also hope that things return to normal soon so that everyone can go back to a freer life. Best of luck and hope you and your family stay safe! Go Hounds!

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Being that he's a local Wisconsin kid it was always a long shot he'd play here. It's ingrained in US hockey that you play high school then college. We grow up with junior hockey and think that's the best way because it's what we've grown up with. I don't think it's a slight against the Hounds or junior hockey as much as his hockey upbringing is all. Different strokes for different folks! LOL

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
LWCRWLDRDG
Kartye L (01)Pytlik R (01)Trott L (00)O'Rourke L (02)Constantinou R (01)Malik L (02)
Carroll L (01)Kerins L (02)MacKay R (01)LeGuerrier L (00)Wawrow R (01)Taylor, E L (01)
Dickinson L (02)Johnston L (01)Watson R (02)Calisti L (01)
Boudreau L (03)McLean L (01)Holmes L (03)
Mufarreh R (02)Halushak L (02)
McConnell-Barker L (04)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

According to reports, we are allowed 30 at training camp. Above, there are 22 players listed. Who are the other 8? Here are some potentials:

Forwards:
Savard, Tyler ('03) - very likely
D'Intino, Jordan ('03) - likely
Parsons, Owen ('03) - likely
Haymes, Luke ('03) - maybe
Chiddenton, Rhys ('03) - maybe
Brown, Finn ('02) - very unlikely, RPI commit
Rutger McGroarty ('04) - very unlikely, USNTDP

Defensemen:
Toms, Connor ('04) - very likely
Brzustowski, Luc ('03) - likely
Carlisle, Caeden ('04) - maybe
Brown, Hunter ('03) - maybe

Goalies:
Schenkel, Charlie ('04) - very likely
Taylor, Coulter ('03) - likely
Di Pasquo, Luca ('03) - maybe

What do you guys think?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
LWCRWLDRDG
Kartye L (01)Pytlik R (01)Trott L (00)O'Rourke L (02)Constantinou R (01)Malik L (02)
Carroll L (01)Kerins L (02)MacKay R (01)LeGuerrier L (00)Wawrow R (01)Taylor, E L (01)
Dickinson L (02)Johnston L (01)Watson R (02)Calisti L (01)
Boudreau L (03)McLean L (01)Holmes L (03)
Mufarreh R (02)Halushak L (02)
McConnell-Barker L (04)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
According to reports, we are allowed 30 at training camp. Above, there are 22 players listed. Who are the other 8? Here are some potentials:

Forwards:
Savard, Tyler ('03) - very likely
D'Intino, Jordan ('03) - likely
Parsons, Owen ('03) - likely
Haymes, Luke ('03) - maybe
Chiddenton, Rhys ('03) - maybe
Brown, Finn ('02) - very unlikely, RPI commit
Rutger McGroarty ('04) - very unlikely, USNTDP

Defensemen:
Toms, Connor ('04) - very likely
Brzustowski, Luc ('03) - likely
Carlisle, Caeden ('04) - maybe
Brown, Hunter ('03) - maybe

Goalies:
Schenkel, Charlie ('04) - very likely
Taylor, Coulter ('03) - likely
Di Pasquo, Luca ('03) - maybe

What do you guys think?

What "reports" are you referring to that says only 30 people? There have been no limits to camp size given out by the OHL, its up to each individual team as of now (KIT has said they're going with less). Gens play to have more than 30 last time I talked to Tullio about it which was about 10 days ago

I assume that'll be one of the things hashed out at the BOG meeting on Monday

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
What "reports" are you referring to that says only 30 people? There have been no limits to camp size given out by the OHL, its up to each individual team as of now (KIT has said they're going with less). Gens play to have more than 30 last time I talked to Tullio about it which was about 10 days ago

I assume that'll be one of the things hashed out at the BOG meeting on Monday
Pyette had an article this week in the London Free Press

EDIT: @Generalsupdates here it is
Fewer skaters, big questions: London Knights eye training camp like no other | London Free Press

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->