SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Saw a little skirmish but nothing caught my eye as discipline worthy although I admit to not paying attention 100%.

What did you see, who was at fault, and what kind of discipline do you suspect?

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Saw a little skirmish but nothing caught my eye as discipline worthy although I admit to not paying attention 100%.

What did you see, who was at fault, and what kind of discipline do you suspect?
Pytlik was in a head lock by a NB player and when the linesman broke them up, the official proceeded to skate Pytlik back away from the skirmish...at which point, Pytlik appears to push the linesman.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Constantinou to SSM says OHLInsiders. He was really good in Niagara but has been awful in Kingston. If you're getting the Niagara guy from him, that's a great trade. Coming into the OHL his ceiling was so high. I'm still shocked he didn't get drafted last year. Him and O'Rourke running a PP1 will be very dangerous

Reactions: LDN

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Haven't had the pleasure of seeing him play. 6 pts in 8 games so far this season is pretty good for a defenseman though. Hopefully he has an idea about defense too.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Haven't had the pleasure of seeing him play. 6 pts in 8 games so far this season is pretty good for a defenseman though. Hopefully he has an idea about defense too.

In minor midget he was a relatively good defender on the Jack Hughes/Graeme Clarke Toronto Marlies team. He was not at all in Kingston though. Not sure what changed. Just an effort thing? He went from a late 1st/early 2nd rounder to not even getting drafted at all. One of the more bizarre stories of the 2019 NHL draft

Reactions: KK91 and flamebird

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
Billy is very talented and skates like the wind. He's a bit of a mess in his own end and Kingston did nothing to help him. In fact he seems to taken a step back in that aspect. With some good coaching he will be a good addition. He was well liked in Niagara. I hope he prospers up there.

Reactions: KK91

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I was going to post how Constantinou would have been a good fit for the team because he was a dynamic puck mover who plays SSM's style. Plus they could have used that one last top 4 RD to round out the group.

Curious to see if it is just picks or if a roster player is sent back to soften the blow on the assets a little bit. A bunch of forwards could be of value to Kingston, and SSM does have a bunch of guys who could stand to get more ice time, but SSM would only have 12 forwards remaining. Unless they are comfortable with more 7D looks with Wawrow or Halushak, or they are planning on bringing in a new forward for depth (SSM has a bunch of solid forward prospects), I am not sure about the logistics of everything.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
In minor midget he was a relatively good defender on the Jack Hughes/Graeme Clarke Toronto Marlies team. He was not at all in Kingston though. Not sure what changed. Just an effort thing? He went from a late 1st/early 2nd rounder to not even getting drafted at all. One of the more bizarre stories of the 2019 NHL draft

I had him as a draftable prospect, but I questioned his 1st/2nd round upside from the beginning. Offensively he was good, but there were too many question marks with his defensive IQ even in Niagara, and I think as soon as he got to Kingston it was confirmed to be a large problem. I thought a team would have taken him in the 3rd round based on offensive upside when he was in Niagara, and then once he got to Kingston I thought he was more of a flier pick in the later rounds for a team wanting a project with upside. SSM may help his chances of getting drafted this year, but he's seriously got to improve his defensive game for that to happen.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Two 4ths and a 3rd in 2024. That is one hell of a trade by Raftis. Paired with the Roth trade, he addressed positional black hole with a long term player and added draft pick capital.

Constantinou would have been considered a very palatable centerpiece for Frost last year and they probably discussed him with Niagara. As Gens Updates said, he was looked at as a possible NHL first rounder last year.

With his skating and passing abilities, I'm hopeful that John Dean can reverse what happened in Kingston and make him a key player for the Hounds.

Reactions: KK91

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Two 4ths and a 3rd in 2024. That is one hell of a trade by Raftis. Paired with the Roth trade, he addressed positional black hole with a long term player and added draft pick capital.

Constantinou would have been considered a very palatable centerpiece for Frost last year and they probably discussed him with Niagara. As Gens Updates said, he was looked at as a possible NHL first rounder last year.

With his skating and passing abilities, I'm hopeful that John Dean can reverse what happened in Kingston and make him a key player for the Hounds.

Crazy. Amazing pickup for a well below market cost. He can become a major offensive contributor right now and hopefully with some defensive improvement, can also become a reliable defensive guy in the future too.

The spread is great too. The Soo is flush with depth prospects right now that losing two 4ths in the upcoming year is no big deal. If anything, it eases the log jam a bit. Then the 3rd is so far in the future that you'll get it back at some point. Never thought Roth would get more in return.

I wonder if the team decides to give Wawrow a chance elsewhere. He is good enough to play in a top 6 somewhere and he may be able to recover one of those 4th round picks.

Reactions: Fischhaber

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Fronts fan - Billy is one of the more offensively talented d-men I've seen in the recent past. Defensively a disaster, and the other thing I'm not a fan of his is that he often plays very selfishly, trying to rush or make low-percentage plays that usually result in turnovers. That could be a result of the team around him being pure trash so he felt the need to do it all himself, or it could just be the way he plays. I never saw him play in Niagara so I can't comment on how he played there, based on the numbers it seems like he was much better.

Either way, still would've liked to get a bigger return that this, great move by you guys, not so much by us (shocker there).

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
throwing Propp under the bus for a team that lets in FIVE power play goals is pretty sad.
we just aren't that good this year on account of our age and lack of depth.

re: Constantinou

interesting move. clearly our defense has been rather suspect lately so I get bolstering the D, but i'm not too keen on burning assets on a guy who might not be around in 2 years when we might need him most. if he returns as an OA then i'll shut up.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
throwing Propp under the bus for a team that lets in FIVE power play goals is pretty sad.

interesting move. clearly our defense has been rather suspect lately so I get bolstering the D, but i'm not too keen on burning assets on a guy who might not be around in 2 years when we might need him most. if he returns as an OA then i'll shut up.
I'm thinking next year is our year.

Reactions: HockeyPops

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Crazy. Amazing pickup for a well below market cost. He can become a major offensive contributor right now and hopefully with some defensive improvement, can also become a reliable defensive guy in the future too.

The spread is great too. The Soo is flush with depth prospects right now that losing two 4ths in the upcoming year is no big deal. If anything, it eases the log jam a bit. Then the 3rd is so far in the future that you'll get it back at some point. Never thought Roth would get more in return.

I wonder if the team decides to give Wawrow a chance elsewhere. He is good enough to play in a top 6 somewhere and he may be able to recover one of those 4th round picks.

Good fit for the Soo and could prove to be a value pick wise; but not crazy, amazing. Compare Kingston picking up Peric for a 3 & 4 in later drafts than the 4,4,3 that Soo gave for Constantinou

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

None of that is true. You're simply being a contrarian and carrying on a personal grudge.

We're virtually tied with Oshawa for the top scoring team in the league and sport a ridiculous amount of depth up front. We've also given up a very low number of shots and haven't been outshot a single time. The defense has generally been pretty good.

Reactions: Houndsfan22

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Good fit for the Soo and could prove to be a value pick wise; but not crazy, amazing. Compare Kingston picking up Peric for a 3 & 4 in later drafts than the 4,4,3 that Soo gave for Constantinou
Hmm. 10 goals 33 points last year vs 3 goals 17 points. Plus right hand shot. Hounds did just fine.

Reactions: Fischhaber

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
None of that is true. You're simply being a contrarian and carrying on a personal grudge.

We're virtually tied with Oshawa for the top scoring team in the league and sport a ridiculous amount of depth up front. We've also given up a very low number of shots and haven't been outshot a single time. The defense has generally been pretty good.

Nothing about what I said is contrarian or personal, it's quantifiable fact demonstrated by our record and statistics so far.

13th ranked PP in the OHL.
14th ranked PK in the league.

You don't win with that kind of special teams mediocrity, nor can your goalie shield you from it. hopefully the new guy can kill penalties.

With regards to our depth, we are deep with rookie players, meaning on a night to night basis we can REALISTICALLY EXPECT a lot of inconsistency this year. I'm not mad about it, it's what rookies do. But again, the minute you place blame on a single player for our woes, you're just being a dink.

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Nothing about what I said is contrarian or personal, it's quantifiable fact demonstrated by our record and statistics so far.

13th ranked PP in the OHL.
14th ranked PK in the league.

You don't win with that kind of special teams mediocrity, nor can your goalie shield you from it. hopefully the new guy can kill penalties.

With regards to our depth, we are deep with rookie players, meaning on a night to night basis we can REALISTICALLY EXPECT a lot of inconsistency this year. I'm not mad about it, it's what rookies do. But again, the minute you place blame on a single player for our woes, you're just being a dink.

I don't agree with any of this and most of it is just incorrect by any standard.

Powerplay percentage is not a concern after 9 games, especially when the team is scoring nearly 5 goals per game.

The penalty kill is also not a concern after 9 games. Consider that our PK was third best in the league before Monday's game. We let in 2 really soft goals and arguably a third. A PK is only as good as your goaltender.

We're not deep with rookies either. That's just completely false, no opinion needed.

We're only playing 2 players from the most recent draft (Boudreau/Holmes), with Dickinson and usually one of Watson/Mufarreh also in the lineup. That's very typical in the league. Most teams have more rookies.

Skaters on the ice can only score goals and limit scoring chances. They are doing that very efficiently so far. The statistics back that up, unquestionably.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
well you keep pretending we're any kind of threat, and i'll keep watching the team perform exactly as reasonable fans expected. this is still a 19 (and 20) year olds league.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
well you keep pretending we're any kind of threat, and i'll keep watching the team perform exactly as reasonable fans expected. this is still a 19 (and 20) year olds league.
Can't argue. We started really well and that created high expectations. Likely finishing between 12 and 8th in the league is reasonable.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
This team is older than last year's team that almost won the division. They are also scoring more goals and giving up fewer shots.

I'm flabbergasted by how much people hate the current roster.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
this is still a 19 (and 20) year olds league.
That's why this season is so exciting to me. We are having success without those players (only 5 on our roster). Further, our group of 18 year olds just grew to 10 with Billy, tied with Sarnia for the most. That is important because we are bringing the same team into next season. Think of how much better they will be in another year.

This year is tons of fun, and next year is our year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad