SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameTime

Oct 25, 2017
Strange, I must have been watching a different game than you tonight. The game I was watching had the greyhounds competing hard all game. Forwards especially were forechecking hard, but more importantly I saw them working as hard as they have all year on the back check. Still too many turnovers and the coaches won't be happy about those, and the powerplay is ineffective, but they competed for the whole game until PBO scored the go ahead goal late in the third and then two empty netters. The 5-2 scoreline does not represent the game I watched. Jones was also outstanding in net all game. Result could have been much different but for a bounce or two.
You must be a dreaming parent. The Hounds got out skated, lacked in talent and were cleary out coached. The OHL is not about reckless skating, its about playing the game correctly. This is why the PP is so pathetic. The Hounds created zero space and time. This is not Junior A Hockey.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The Hounds got out skated, lacked in talent and were cleary out coached.
Seems like we can agree to disagree on this one.
A) The hounds did not get out skated. They skated well both on the forecheck and the backcheck. Previously they have been guilty of not putting in the effort, but last night's game was not one of those times.
B) The hounds did not lack in talent. They got numerous great scoring chances in which Jones had to come up with big saves. Players can always be better at picking the corners and these hounds are no exception, but saying that is a far cry from saying they lacked in talent.
C) The hounds were not clearly out coached. They still generated their chances even with losing far too many faceoffs and turning over the puck far too many times. When they won and held onto the puck they were dangerous in the offensive zone. You may want to go back and look at Peterborough's first three goals. They were all opportunistic goals that came off bad bounces for the greyhounds. (One crazy bounce off the corner boards, once when the Soo defenseman knocked the puck off a Peterborough stick and it went right to another Pete, and once when a Pete lost the puck cutting in front of the net and it opportunistically bounced off their skate and back onto their stick). Aside from bad bounces the greyhounds played a tight defensive game and kept the Petes to the outside limiting their chances.

The OHL is not about reckless skating, its about playing the game correctly. This is why the PP is so pathetic. The Hounds created zero space and time. This is not Junior A Hockey.
I have little to disagree with on this point. There were stretches of the powerplay where the greyhounds looked very disorganized on the rush and failed to gain the zone or get set up in the zone. There is work to be done there. However there were also stretches of the powerplay where the hounds did get set up and once that happened they moved the puck well and got the puck on net. The powerplay is clearly not where it needs to be yet, reckless skating through the neutral zone may be a small part of the problem, but there are other problems that also need to be addressed.

You must be a dreaming parent.
Ad hominem attacks have no place here and distract from your argument. Lets stick to discussing the topic at hand.

Did anyone else watch the game? If so, I'd like to hear some other opinions on the effort?

Reactions: NorthernVoice

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
yikes! tough to get much going when you are that bad at draws. thank god we are forcing some turnovers, or we would hardly ever get the puck.
This was apparent watching the game. In the third when it was tied, you guys had quite a few offensive zone faceoffs, almost all taken by Frost and it sure felt like he lost every one. On a couple of those, the Petes were forced to ice it again, but it didn't matter, they won the draw next time as well.

The Petes' Zach Gallant and Chris Paquette are both very strong in general on faceoffs (Gallant won the 16-17 coaches poll and was 2nd in 17-18) and they did take a lot of those key late ones for the Petes but it was pretty apparent to me that the Petes were winning the vast majority.

houndtastic

Apr 16, 2016
Anyone else having hard time watching the hounds games on shaw tv? Both games vs pete and kingston keep cutting in and out.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The Petes game cut out a lot, but the Kingston game was smooth and did not cut out.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
This must be old. He skated in coyotes warm up last night. He’s not on the IR.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
That was posted before Training camp even started.

Sandin on the shelf
The article you linked lists the Soo as a possible destination.

The tweet I posted indicates the Soo is now out of the equation. This was certainly not reported before training camp started.

Edit: As HockeyHero96 and Mikey71 note, the date on the tweet was old. My bad.

Last edited:

houndtastic

Apr 16, 2016
The article you linked lists the Soo as a possible destination.

The tweet I posted indicates the Soo is now out of the equation. This was certainly not reported before training camp started.

They said they will take thier time with sandin. He got injured in an ahl exhibition game his hand or finger i believe and is out 5-6 weeks. It said he will stay in toronto where they can watch him while he heals then decide what to do with him.

HockeyHero96

Nov 1, 2015
They said they will take thier time with sandin. He got injured in an ahl exhibition game his hand or finger i believe and is out 5-6 weeks. It said he will stay in toronto where they can watch him while he heals then decide what to do with him.

And after Sandin got hurt Dubas Contacted raftis..... with barrett Hayton Coming back today it makes more sense. i think he'll be back

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
He might still be injured. If he is healthy he very well might play, they have certainly found ways to get others into the lineup with less lead time than this.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Pretty sure Hayton is healthy as (as far as I’m aware) you cannot reassign injured players). Hopefully he’s in tomorrow night, though I believe he will sit tomorrow’s game.

C’mon Sandin, your best friend is back!! Join us>Rögle when you’re healthy.

Last edited:

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Rick Tocchet HC of the Coyotes is quoted that Hayton has great leadership skills...but we already know that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad