SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
All three stand a good chance. Seeing Frost play on Hayton’s wing was interesting!

GameTime

Oct 25, 2017
All three stand a good chance. Seeing Frost play on Hayton’s wing was interesting!
Interesting how? No chance a 100+ point center is moved to the wing. I'm guessing both Frost and Villalta get offers. Hayton is a great player and deserves an offer, but three players from one team is probably not going to happen.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Interesting how? No chance a 100+ point center is moved to the wing. I'm guessing both Frost and Villalta get offers. Hayton is a great player and deserves an offer, but three players from one team is probably not going to happen.

It was interesting because the Soo always moves Hayton to Frost’s wing, and this was the other way around. No conspiracies here.
Hayton has been a HC darling, played U 17, U 18 and was one of the only players at the summer showcase to play pp and pk. With his ability to play whatever role the tram needs, I have no doubt he will make the team.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Just a few weeks until the Hounds are back on the ice. Should be a real interesting season. My kids and I can’t wait.

louis

Apr 3, 2014
Does anyone have info on training camp, such as when the red and white game will take place? Thanks.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Found this 2 month old article on PensionPlanPuppets that guesses Sandin will be in the Soo this year. Beyond that it provides some interesting reading on the "hellish season" Rogle had last year.

PensionPlanPuppets said:
This coming season is the question for Sandin. After the draft on Friday night, Kyle Dubas spoke to reporters and talked like Sandin would return to the Soo. However, Rögle of the SHL do have him under contract for this season. If that name sounds familiar, it’s because it’s the club Timothy Liljegren was drafted from, and they were embarking on a hellish season last year that made Liljegren’s move to the AHL a no-brainer.

The team has undergone a total overhaul, one we should be familiar with. They fired their GM and head coach midseason and replaced them with two former players, Canadians Cam and Chris Abbott. They have righted the ship pretty comprehensively, and the team could well be a good place for a young up and coming player to get ice time.

But, as Dubas mentioned, the defender blocking Sandin from the top power play in the Soo will be gone, so he can also get really good development time there. Tie goes to the GM for me. I am guessing Sandin will be loaned to the Soo again next year. And yes, as a European, he could technically play in the AHL next year instead. I think the chances of that are very small. You can count me as someone not a fan of 18 year old players in the AHL without extenuating circumstances making it worth the drawbacks.

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
Does anyone have info on the two new imports they signed. Also any training camp info out there also

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
That's a big blow....

Should get a ton for Frost and Hayton at the deadline which will jumpstart the rebuild

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Potentially Villalta as well.

Usually don’t get near as much for a goalie (especially considering DiPietro will likely be available and a bunch of teams just filled their hole in net for free in the Euro draft) but yeah should be able to get a couple decent picks for him. Sambrook too

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
While losing Sandin would obviously be a big blow to the Hounds, I think the calls to sell before the season has even started are a little premature. The hounds will still boast the best group of centers in the league, and I believe the defense will be better than last year, grittier and more inclined to go into the corner or take a hit to make a play. Yes you heard right, better than last year. True they are losing N. Carroll, Timmins, and possibly Sandin, but the rest with an extra year under their belts, and under the tutelage of Jordan Smith will blossom into their roles this season.
Demeo - Hollowell
Leguerrier - Sambrook
O'Rourke - Caron
Wale - Calisti
I fully expect the hounds to make the playoffs this season even with a much more competitive division with better Flint and Saginaw sides in the mix. If Sandin and one of the imports choose to report, they should win their division.

Does anyone have info on the two new imports they signed.
I have no info, but I don't think they would have drafted a 2000 birthyear player this offseason (Roman Pucek) unless they felt there was a great chance he would report.

Also any training camp info out there also
I have heard it will be exactly the same as last year's. I don't expect we'll hear which players are assigned to training camp teams until Monday:

TUESDAY, AUGUST 28, 2018
2:30 PM – Team White Goalie Session
3:00 PM – Team White Skills/Practice
4:00 PM – Team Red Goalie Session
4:30 PM – Team Red Skills/Practice
5:30 PM – Team Black Goalie Session
6:00 PM – Team Black Skills/Practice
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 29, 2018
9:30 AM – Team Red Goalie Session
10:00 AM – Team Red Skills/Practice
11:00 AM – Team White vs Team Black Game
3:30 PM – Team White Goalie Session
4:00 PM – Team White Skills/Practice
5:00 PM – Team Black vs Team Red Game
THURSDAY, AUGUST 30, 2018
9:30 AM – Team Black Goalie Session
10:00 AM – Team Black Skills/Practice
11:00 AM – Team White vs Team Red Game
FRIDAY, AUGUST 31, 2018
10:30 AM – Team White Practice
11:30 AM – Team Red Practice
7:07 PM – Luke Williams Memorial Red & White Game

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Director of Player Development Victor Carniero hired by the Leafs.

David Burstyn, scout, moved on to work with the Carolina Hurricanes. Hounds hockey personnel being plucked away by Dubas hiring and other related moves. Good on them all but a lot of change

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I'm guessing both Frost and Villalta get offers. Hayton is a great player and deserves an offer, but three players from one team is probably not going to happen.
Hayton has been a HC darling, played U 17, U 18 and was one of the only players at the summer showcase to play pp and pk. With his ability to play whatever role the tram needs, I have no doubt he will make the team.
Reviving an earlier discussion about World Juniors, I tend to align myself with PuckLife's thinking. Hayton's tenacious two-way style of play has to be extra appealing for Team Canada brass always struggling to find shutdown and pk lines. He was hands down the best greyhound in the post season. Couple that with going unexpectedly high in the draft this summer and he is now Team Canada's highest draft pick that might make the roster. I can't see any scenario short of serious injury where Hayton DOESN'T crack the team.

Inversely, Frost and Villalta's stock is heading in the wrong direction. Both are coming off a mediocre playoffs in which had either of them excelled as per their regular season we very well might have seen the greyhounds into the Memorial Cup. I think they are both currently on the outside looking in, but both could potentially play themselves back onto the team with a stellar fall campaign.

Here is an article from The Hockey Writers two weeks ago speaking to many of these same points.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
While losing Sandin would obviously be a big blow to the Hounds, I think the calls to sell before the season has even started are a little premature. The hounds will still boast the best group of centers in the league, and I believe the defense will be better than last year, grittier and more inclined to go into the corner or take a hit to make a play. Yes you heard right, better than last year. True they are losing N. Carroll, Timmins, and possibly Sandin, but the rest with an extra year under their belts, and under the tutelage of Jordan Smith will blossom into their roles this season.
Demeo - Hollowell
Leguerrier - Sambrook
O'Rourke - Caron
Wale - Calisti
I fully expect the hounds to make the playoffs this season even with a much more competitive division with better Flint and Saginaw sides in the mix. If Sandin and one of the imports choose to report, they should win their division.

I have no info, but I don't think they would have drafted a 2000 birthyear player this offseason (Roman Pucek) unless they felt there was a great chance he would report.

I have heard it will be exactly the same as last year's. I don't expect we'll hear which players are assigned to training camp teams until Monday:

TUESDAY, AUGUST 28, 2018
2:30 PM – Team White Goalie Session
3:00 PM – Team White Skills/Practice
4:00 PM – Team Red Goalie Session
4:30 PM – Team Red Skills/Practice
5:30 PM – Team Black Goalie Session
6:00 PM – Team Black Skills/Practice
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 29, 2018
9:30 AM – Team Red Goalie Session
10:00 AM – Team Red Skills/Practice
11:00 AM – Team White vs Team Black Game
3:30 PM – Team White Goalie Session
4:00 PM – Team White Skills/Practice
5:00 PM – Team Black vs Team Red Game
THURSDAY, AUGUST 30, 2018
9:30 AM – Team Black Goalie Session
10:00 AM – Team Black Skills/Practice
11:00 AM – Team White vs Team Red Game
FRIDAY, AUGUST 31, 2018
10:30 AM – Team White Practice
11:30 AM – Team Red Practice
7:07 PM – Luke Williams Memorial Red & White Game

I wouldn't call selling off premature.

Yes you do posses a great group of forwards.

You also can't afford to buy.

For the next 4 drafts you only have 1 2nd round pick and 3 3rd round picks. That's not looking too good for the future of this club. The time to hit the reset button is now while you have multiple players who net you top prospects and picks.

Guelph a few years back had 3 players they could have sold off at the deadline, but refused too. Made the playoffs, got eliminated and had 2 seasons of very very dark hockey that followed. Likely don't want to go that route.

But we will see. The West is wide open. Also might not be a bad year to make another go for it but you'll definitely need to add.

Pope Francis 1

Mar 13, 2013
Valid points, but the Hounds scouting is excellent and one thing that history has shown is that they don't necessarily need to rely on 2nd round picks to build and be a contender. Although the 2nds do make life a fair bit easier!

Reactions: soo hound girl

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Uh, centers yes (Frost, Hayton, J. Carroll, Kerins). Wingers are up in the air beyond Howdeshell, Roth, Jacklin, MacKay, and Trott. If we deal an over-ager I expect to pick up a young winger. If Kerins impresses he might move to 3rd line center and J. Carroll might move to the wing for 3 decent forward lines.
For the next 4 drafts you only have 1 2nd round pick and 3 3rd round picks. That's not looking too good for the future of this club. The time to hit the reset button is now while you have multiple players who net you top prospects and picks.
Just to expand on what Pope Francis 1 said, this is a team that has done alright in drafts despite missing top picks. 2018 we didn't have a 2nd or 3rd. 2017 no 2nd. 2016 no 2nd. 2015 no 3rd. I expect to get a few picks back in an over-ager deal, but we have shown the ability to draft well in the last 4 drafts with similar holdings.
Guelph a few years back had 3 players they could have sold off at the deadline, but refused too. Made the playoffs, got eliminated and had 2 seasons of very very dark hockey that followed. Likely don't want to go that route.
Certainly don't want to go that route, and if it looked like that was in the future then I would wholeheartedly support your argument. But I don't see us in that same predicament. At the end of this season we will lose 3 OA (probably Sambrook, Howdeshell, Hollowell), and probably Frost and Villalta. Demeo is probably back as an OA in 2019-2020. That still returns a solid chunk of what I feel will be a good 2018-2019 team. I don't see very very dark hockey in this teams near future.
But we will see. The West is wide open. Also might not be a bad year to make another go for it but you'll definitely need to add.
Some small tweaks (similar to Owen Sound last year) may be all that's required this year. Honestly, we need to trade a goalie keeping two final year goalies in Johnson and Villalta is not wise for developing next year's starter. And I really feel that our defense is so solid that we could stand to deal a defenseman even if Sandin doesn't return. If we can't fetch much for Johnson, we very well might see Villalta and an OA defensman dealt (Sambrook or Hollowell). But I would be surprised to see any forwards dealt unless the team is sitting bottom two at the deadline, and even then I don't think Hayton would be dealt.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am looking forward to Training Camp to see how our up and coming Wingers and Goalies are looking! Maybe there will be a few surprise last minute additions like the Roth and Howdeshell signings were last year - imagine dealing Villalta and signing Drew DeRidder (wishful thinking I know)! Import players reporting? Exciting times for sure.

89bardown

Aug 8, 2018
Ontario
I wouldn't call selling off premature.

You also can't afford to buy.

I like their chances to be among the top teams of the West. But do they have the picks/prospects to add if they need to? If they went with what theyd have they should atleast win a round but then the rebuild gets rougher. Better to sell and build for another run then try to add if you dont have the pieces to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad