SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
First-round pick Barrett Hayton will make Coyotes' Opening Night roster
azcentral.com said:
Hayton appeared in just two preseason games before being forced to enter concussion protocol after a Sept. 18 game against the Kings. All indications are that Hayton cleared protocol without any issues and that he is ready to start the season.

Peterborough’s Barrett Hayton to start season with NHL’s Arizona Coyotes
thespec.com said:
"We're excited, thrilled with the pick," Chayka said in his interview with Matisz.

"We're as excited as we were when we drafted him. We did a very deep dive on everything about the player — on and off the ice. Everything we thought and expected has come true."

"He's one of those guys who you think will keep getting better and better every single day. He does a lot of good things, makes his teammates better, and came into camp and did a nice job."

Hayton to begin season with Coyotes
thescore.com said:
"He's a premium person, (a) premium player, playing a premium position," Chayka said. "He's a foundational piece for us. We think he's a complete 200-foot center."

Arizona could choose to give the 18-year-old a nine-game trial before sending him to the OHL's Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. A longer stint, however, would burn the first year of his entry-level contract.

Arizona’s Barrett Hayton earns spot on Coyotes’ opening night roster
arizonasports.com said:
While he has been criticized for his lack of explosiveness on his first step, Hayton brings with him a strong hockey IQ and a heightened defensive ability. He’s been described as a two-way forward with comparisons to Boston top-line center Patrice Bergeron.

FYI - Arizona's 9th regular season game is scheduled for October 25.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
That is the situation. If the club wanted they could drag it out into late November before they send him back.

First-round pick Barrett Hayton will make Coyotes' Opening Night roster
azcentral.com said:
Look for Hayton to fill one of the club's open center spots while injured middles Alex Galchenyuk and Christian Dvorak are out with injury. Neither Galchenyuk nor Dvorak are expected to miss a significant amount of time, however.
While technically true, chances are extremely good in this case that he dresses until he is sent back. He is there for a short term need filling in for injured centres. Arizona is not going to be competing for the cup any time soon so no need for them to rush their prospects into more expensive contracts or accelerating UFA unless they are the best player on the ice. Hayton will be sent back after 9 or fewer games, and he will dress every game until he is sent back.

Some colour to this discussion:

Burning the First Year of a Rookie’s Entry Level Contract
businessofhockey.wordpress.com said:
A team currently in competition for the Stanley Cup may benefit more from adding a talented rookie to the lineup immediately and using him as a cheap asset in the next few years while a team in a rebuilding mode may benefit more from holding off on inserting a rookie into the lineup and having him on a cheaper contract down the road.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Even more reason for Hayton to be sent back after 9:

Mildly Interesting: The Coyotes are at the contract limit (50) and are the only team currently maxed out according to Cap Friendly

Frnklfrwsr said:
To be clear, the Coyotes have 52 total contracts out there.
2 of them, Barrett Hayton and PO Joseph don’t count against the 50 contract limit unless they play 10 NHL games.
So if Hayton wants to play a 10th NHL game this season, we would have to shed a contract or we would be at 51.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Well, here I am eating crow. Hayton not expected to dress for Arizona on Thursday. Sounds like he is still not 100%

'Yotes Notes: Hayton, Lyubushkin Make Opening Night Roster

nhl.com said:
Hayton is not expected to play in the season opener on Thursday at Dallas, but he said he'd be ready if Head Coach Rick Tocchet indeed decides to insert him into the lineup at some point.

"It's very exciting," Hayton said after Tuesday's practice, during which he served as an extra forward. "It was a goal of mine from the start. It's great. I'm just really taking it day by day ... In the lineup or not, I'm able to learn a lot and improve here. It's a great opportunity for me."

Hayton appeared in two of Arizona's seven preseason games. He suffered an upper-body injury in the second game and has been recovering at training camp.

Asked if Hayton would play in a game or just observe before heading back to junior hockey, Tocchet said: "You never know. I'll never say never, but obviously right now he's going to stay with us until he feels better and starts getting some practices in. Then we'll decide what we're going to do with him."

Chayka said being around an NHL team to start a season will benefit Hayton, whether he plays or not.

"He was great at our rookie camp," Chayka said. "He was our best player and did a lot of good things and made an impression on our coaching staff. We've got a few centers who are dinged up so we'll keep him around and take it day by day. I think it's a great learning experience for him. He can soak up a lot of different things and learn from the guys. We're excited to have him. We'll keep him up here with us for a bit and see how it goes."

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
How has Sandin been doing at the Marlies camp? Does it look like there's a roster spot for him there or are the Leafs loaded with D prospects?

Houndzfan

Dec 9, 2017
How has Sandin been doing at the Marlies camp? Does it look like there's a roster spot for him there or are the Leafs loaded with D prospects?

Thumb injury might slow the decision on where to send Rasmus. Reportedly out of the lineup 4-6 weeks.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015

The marlies LD right now has;

Andreas Borgman
Calle Rosen
Rasmus Sandin
Andrew Nielsen
(Kyle Cuminskey)

And the leafs have 2 extra LD in Holl and Marincin (perhaps 1 being sent down). One of the reasons I’ve had Sandin returning in my roster projections is because Borgman and Rosen are for sure 1-2 on the LD and Nielsen was a high draft pick and I believe is only 21. I don’t think they’ll give up any of them. Then add the PTO (Cuminskey) and possibly a send down from the Leafs. Add Sandin’s thumb injury and I don’t see how he can stay in the AHL this season.

If true then it turns into OHL or SHL. Can’t see the leafs sending him back to Sweden when he needs to work his NA game more. + he’d be the 2nd LD in Rögle {who recently put out an article saying they’re looking at filling the big void of not having Sandin (for now?)}. Gotta think; the NA game in the O, playing top minutes with Hollowell, playing in all situations, wearing a letter? and playing vs guys like Suzuki/Tippett/Entwistle/Robertson/etc...

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Sandin being injured may help him lean towards being sent back to the Soo. His swedish team was already looking for a potential replacement while waiting for news.. now with up to 6 weeks of injury they likely wont wait around. And he will be 6 weeks behind his first pro season in North America.. maybe report to world juniors and then back to the Soo?

GameTime

Oct 25, 2017
Might was well accept last place in the west after that performance. What the hell is the coaching doing?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Might was well accept last place in the west after that performance. What the hell is the coaching doing?
Strange, I must have been watching a different game than you tonight. The game I was watching had the greyhounds competing hard all game. Forwards especially were forechecking hard, but more importantly I saw them working as hard as they have all year on the back check. Still too many turnovers and the coaches won't be happy about those, and the powerplay is ineffective, but they competed for the whole game until PBO scored the go ahead goal late in the third and then two empty netters. The 5-2 scoreline does not represent the game I watched. Jones was also outstanding in net all game. Result could have been much different but for a bounce or two.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
I like the work ethic of this team. We are missing Hayton and Sandin big-time though.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Greyhounds struggle to score, drop decision to Petes

SooToday.com said:
“In the first period, we must have had seven or eight grade-A opportunities,” [John] Dean said. “In the second period, we had a tough time in the faceoff circle and we had a tough time breaking out of our zone. Once we got into (the Peterborough zone), I was really happy. They were organized and did a good job.”

Faceoff stats from the OHL Boxscore

Greyhounds
Team: 28/72
Frost 12/29
McLean 5/15
Kartye 4/10
Johnston 4/10
Howdeshell 2/4
Carroll 1/3
MacKay 0/1

Status
Not open for further replies.