Value of: spurgeon

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zaitsev is a decent second-pairing RHD. Had a poor year last year, after injury, mono... but his play recovered some late in the year, and playoffs. I know you don't particularly like the player, probably based on what you saw mid last year, but I'd expect he shall rebound. The challenge being, we need to add to our RHD, not swap them around... and Zaitsev + Kadri is an overpay, unless something decent is coming back to us. Perhaps... Nino + Spurgeon for Kadri + Zaitsev + ??? Assuming we can move Nylander to C
Zaitsev wouldn't be a 2nd pairing guy on the Wild. I liked him quite a bit in the first year with TOR, but have no idea how he could have fallen off so much. Thought he was mediocre last year...and at the size of his contract, not many teams can afford him being mediocre. Maybe he's ready to rebound...in some ways he reminds me of Scandella, but I always thought Scandella was good, but had a couple of so-so years because he was playing with untalented D partners, and/or had nagging injuries.

Bottom line, though is that Zaitsev doesn't have any value to MN, and certainly doesn't equate to adding Nino from our side. That's absurd.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Zaitsev wouldn't be a 2nd pairing guy on the Wild. I liked him quite a bit in the first year with TOR, but have no idea how he could have fallen off so much. Thought he was mediocre last year...and at the size of his contract, not many teams can afford him being mediocre. Maybe he's ready to rebound...in some ways he reminds me of Scandella, but I always thought Scandella was good, but had a couple of so-so years because he was playing with untalented D partners, and/or had nagging injuries.

Bottom line, though is that Zaitsev doesn't have any value to MN, and certainly doesn't equate to adding Nino from our side. That's absurd.

Injury and Mono last year..... He'd recovered some by the playoffs... and I'd expect him to continue to recover.... note, I didn't suggest that Zaitsev was Nino's value... yes, that is absurd... but you should have noted it was Zaitsev + ???, as in... I don't know what more needs to be added to equalize it, but I understand more is needed.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Injury and Mono last year..... He'd recovered some by the playoffs... and I'd expect him to continue to recover.... note, I didn't suggest that Zaitsev was Nino's value... yes, that is absurd... but you should have noted it was Zaitsev + ???, as in... I don't know what more needs to be added to equalize it, but I understand more is needed.

Why would we add Nino in the first place?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Why would we add Nino in the first place?

The basis was that Spurgeon for Kadri was close to good value for both sides... @Bazeek suggested you'd need a Second pairing RHD as well... we need a way to fill the hole that losing Kadri would cause... Nino is a guy I've seen plenty of MN fans put in trade propositions.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The basis was that Spurgeon for Kadri was close to good value for both sides... @Bazeek suggested you'd need a Second pairing RHD as well... we need a way to fill the hole that losing Kadri would cause...

Nino doesn’t play C. Not the solution to your problem.

If we’d need to add Nino to get Zaitsev as a replacement, we’ll put Brodin on the right side until we find one elsewhere.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Nino doesn’t play C. Not the solution to your problem.

If we’d need to add Nino to get Zaitsev as a replacement, we’ll put Brodin on the right side until we find one elsewhere.

Nylander could be moved to C, Nino replaces Nylander as Matthews RW. I've seen Nino in a bunch of MN trade proposals, so...

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Nylander could be moved to C, Nino replaces Nylander as Matthews RW. I've seen Nino in a bunch of MN trade proposals, so...

Yeah, for good pieces, upgrades. Not Zaitsev.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
It's not happening any time soon.
wouldn't that depend on the outcome of this season? The Wild's roster sort of seems like it could go through a retooling of the Suter/Staal/Koivu ilk if this season doesn't go well without purging the Dumba/Granlund/Zucker/Nino/Coyle's, and Spurgeon is on the fence between them age-wise

There's lots of talent on the Wild roster but it seems like a core star or two are missing if Suter and Staal pass their prime, so cashing some older players in for high picks and good prospects would make sense to me if it looks like the core isn't cutting it

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
wouldn't that depend on the outcome of this season? The Wild's roster sort of seems like it could go through a retooling of the Suter/Staal/Koivu ilk if this season doesn't go well without purging the Dumba/Granlund/Zucker/Nino/Coyle's, and Spurgeon is on the fence between them age-wise

There's lots of talent on the Wild roster but it seems like a core star or two are missing if Suter and Staal pass their prime, so cashing some older players in for high picks and good prospects would make sense to me if it looks like the core isn't cutting it
A fair amount will depend on how the season goes, but even if things go totally off the rails and we finish at the bottom of the league I don't see Leipold being ready to sign off on a rebuild.

Even if he did, the guys we'd want to trade for futures (Parise and Koivu) have NMC's that impede or outright prevent it. Just trading Spurgeon and/or Staal for futures doesn't get us much more than late 1sts and okay prospects, which we already have open access to.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
So I have gathered from this thread that TOR is the only team Spurgeon could ever be traded to.

Got it.

Reactions: AKL

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
A fair amount will depend on how the season goes, but even if things go totally off the rails and we finish at the bottom of the league I don't see Leipold being ready to sign off on a rebuild.

Even if he did, the guys we'd want to trade for futures (Parise and Koivu) have NMC's that impede or outright prevent it. Just trading Spurgeon and/or Staal for futures doesn't get us much more than late 1sts and okay prospects, which we already have open access to.
I probably should have omitted the word "rebuild", more of a retool is what I think could happen

I think you're right on the NMC's and presumably Staal (if the team is bad this year, he probably isn't a 70+pt player) but I think you're underrating the trade value for at least Spurgeon, he's worth quite a bit. If Liljegren had a year that made him look more like the prospect that he was coming into his draft year (a top 5 in a good year type), that's what I'd be expecting to use as the basis for that trade from a Leafs pov and adding from there

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
So I have gathered from this thread that TOR is the only team Spurgeon could ever be traded to.

Got it.
or EDM. I didn't know that there were any other teams in the NHL, except teams in the central, and we don't trade with them.:D

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spurgeon for Kapanen and Dermott?
Some one has already offered Kadri and Kapanen, and we said that while fair, it wouldn't want fill a need . Why would the Wild do this, offer, which...sucks?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Got it.
Love this bullshit....

Other teans fans can post in this thread, anybody know why they aren't?

I mean Jesus, the OP is a Wild fan....and he mentioned the Leafs in his proposal....but everyone is shocked that Leafs fans are posting.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I would love to bring him home to Edmonton.
Lets go with something like:
Pulju + Benning + 1st
Intrigued by the value but my guess is we’d want a better defensmen back than benning. We already have Pateryn.

Last edited:

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Would do Kadri + Kapanen for Spurgeon.

Then trade Nino or Coyle to Carolina for Faulk.

Zucker - Staal - Granlund

Parise - Koivu - Nino/Coyle

EK - Kadri - Kapanen

4th line

Suter - Dumba

Brodin - Faulk

Seeler - Pateryn

The Edmonton deal with Pulj is also definitely fair.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Would do Kadri + Kapanen for Spurgeon.

Then trade Nino or Coyle to Carolina for Faulk.

Zucker - Staal - Granlund

Parise - Koivu - Nino/Coyle

EK - Kadri - Kapanen

4th line

Suter - Dumba

Brodin - Faulk

Seeler - Pateryn

The Edmonton deal with Pulj is also definitely fair.
Wouldn't give up Kadri and Kapanen for Spurgeon. Kadri maybe, but not adding Kapanen on top of that.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I do think that Kadri for Spurgeon is a rather fair trade. Though I don't really like Kadri after certain antics years ago (headshot Granlund, ran over Backstrom both in the same game).

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I do think that Kadri for Spurgeon is a rather fair trade.

I would be angry as a Leafs fan if that trade happened. I don't see Minny-Toronto as good partners. Call it overvaluing if you want, but most I'd do for either Spurgeon/Dumba from our end is a package including 1st's + prospects, which kills a deal for both sides.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Toronto is better off holding onto there young players and building up there value. I wouldn't be shocked to see Johnsson and Nylander score 70 points.

Obviously we would love Dumba/Jared though; and we want to close on a deal if there was something logical for both parties
im a leafs fan..i love johnnson but if you think hes scoring 70 points next year send me some of what u are smoking lol. none of matthews/nylander/marner scored 70 their rookie seasons but johnsson will?? i will be happy with 40

edit: i re-read and i guess u didnt mean next year..still, i seriously doubt johnsson ever hits 70 in his career

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad