Value of: spurgeon

Teamoo

Jan 20, 2016
Spurgeon + for Trouba

(Yes, within division, blah blah blah, it’s summer and I’m bored)

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Spurgeon + for Trouba

(Yes, within division, blah blah blah, it’s summer and I’m bored)

Out of your mind if you think we add to Spurgeon to get Trouba.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i wouldn't give Spurgeon + for Trouba. One, Trouba isn't as good, two, we are not going to be able to afford Trouba.

Reactions: 2Pair

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Spurgeon for Kadri is pretty good value from this Leafs fans perspective.

Obviously from a Leafs fans perspective, there are concerns... leaves a hole for a #3c, and there is always the risk that Spurgeon has been made to look better by Suter, but that concern is small from the eye test. The ideal trade for the Leafs, is one that brings back a RHD with size and snarl as well, as the group is already fairly small and soft. No real net clearing presence.

Statistically, Spurgeon is better fancy stats than Reilly, no question, but then, Reilly has never had the opportunity to have a partner of the quality of Suter either.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
While I really don't want to trade naz, would naz for spurgeon be a decent basis with minor adds to even it out? Tough to find a lot of contracts better than kadri's.

Edit: Naz+Kap. I'm sure that would get the needle moving no Wild Fans? I think that is a fair deal and honestly something I wouldn't want to do and that is why I think it might be fair. Thoughts?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Spurgeon to the Leafs gets to be really interesting if Minnesota decides to rebuild/retool, but in terms of roster swaps the only thing that would be valuable enough on Toronto's side that isn't one of the core kids is Kadri, and with that contract and our impending cap trouble I don't think that's a move we can make

if Minnesota decides to rebuild, Spurgeon is a guy that we could include Liljegren for and add from there to make a package of sufficient value, but that doesn't make sense from Minny's side today

Reactions: iSophagus

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
While I really don't want to trade naz, would naz for spurgeon be a decent basis with minor adds to even it out? Tough to find a lot of contracts better than kadri's.

Edit: Naz+Kap. I'm sure that would get the needle moving no Wild Fans? I think that is a fair deal and honestly something I wouldn't want to do and that is why I think it might be fair. Thoughts?
Personal feelings about Kadri aside, I don't hate it. It's hard to say whether Kadri is what Fenton would really be looking for here, but from where I'm sitting he'd fill an organizational need for us.

Again it'd hinge on being able to find some sort of second-pairing RHD to fill the hole we'd be making, but I think that would be do-able.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Spurgeon to the Leafs gets to be really interesting if Minnesota decides to rebuild/retool, but in terms of roster swaps the only thing that would be valuable enough on Toronto's side that isn't one of the core kids is Kadri, and with that contract and our impending cap trouble I don't think that's a move we can make

if Minnesota decides to rebuild, Spurgeon is a guy that we could include Liljegren for and add from there to make a package of sufficient value, but that doesn't make sense from Minny's side today
It's not happening any time soon.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Toronto is better off holding onto there young players and building up there value. I wouldn't be shocked to see Johnsson and Nylander score 70 points.

Obviously we would love Dumba/Jared though; and we want to close on a deal if there was something logical for both parties
Ah, a sane post.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Personal feelings about Kadri aside, I don't hate it. It's hard to say whether Kadri is what Fenton would really be looking for here, but from where I'm sitting he'd fill an organizational need for us.

Again it'd hinge on being able to find some sort of second-pairing RHD to fill the hole we'd be making, but I think that would be do-able.
Fair enough. I just think it could help both sides. I added Kap in despite the fact that Naz has a great contract because Spurgeon is exactly what we need. This would hurt to do but that's why I think it is fair. What do you think Spurgeoin would command in terms of a new contract though? If it is over 6.5 that might not be possible for us.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would love to bring him home to Edmonton.
Lets go with something like:
Pulju + Benning + 1st
Benning is a nothing burger. Wild have PLENTY of 3rd pairing Dmen. Pateryn, Seeler, Soucy, Prosser, Belpedio. Pulju...who knows...I'd have to leave that to the scouts. The 1st is nice, but you'd have to promise to suck. I have no clue Where EDM is going to finish, especially with Spurgeon on the team.

That trade would probably not work from EDM cap POV. They would probably want to include something unfortunate like Sekera, Lucic or Russell. Even with some retention, those players are a no go.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fenton would have to do his homework on Puljujarvi, but I don't hate it. I don't see much use for Benning since I'd assume we'd be adding a middle-pairing RHD in another trade.
That's the beauty of Brodin. He can play RD. Just move Seeler up and they'd be passable as a 2nd pair D.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
i wouldn't give Spurgeon + for Trouba. One, Trouba isn't as good, two, we are not going to be able to afford Trouba.
Well, Trouba is younger. completely different game, but I would argue that he is close to as good, and could well end up surpassing Spurge in 3-4 years. 100% agree on the contract thing...Trouba is looking for more money than the Wild are going to want to pay him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That's the beauty of Brodin. He can play RD. Just move Seeler up and they'd be passable as a 2nd pair D.
It's an option, though I'm not sure I like Seeler-Brodin as a second pairing any more than I like Brodin-Pateryn. I might be too optimistic about our trade options for RD, though.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

I think it's a fair value, but MN doesn't really need a #2C. They've got plenty of depth. If Spurgeon goes, then they want a 1st line forward coming back. If they have to add to Spurgeon(i.e. Coyle/ Nino/ Zucker ) for said top level guy, then so be it.

Kadri isn't that player.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I think it's a fair value, but MN doesn't really need a #2C. They've got plenty of depth. If Spurgeon goes, then they want a 1st line forward coming back. If they have to add to Spurgeon(i.e. Coyle/ Nino/ Zucker ) for said top level guy, then so be it.

Kadri isn't that player.
Fair enough. Toronto respectfully bows out then. Spurgeon is great but I'd really just like to see our top guys play. Cheers.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fair enough. I just think it could help both sides. I added Kap in despite the fact that Naz has a great contract because Spurgeon is exactly what we need. This would hurt to do but that's why I think it is fair. What do you think Spurgeoin would command in terms of a new contract though? If it is over 6.5 that might not be possible for us.
Who knows, but so far with MN Spurgeon given no indication that he is a prima donna when it comes to being paid. I think in some way he still remembers being the little guy who Garth Snow drafted, but wouldn't even offer a contract to. I'm sure he'd want to be paid fairly, but not set any records. He is a #2, not a #1.

Reactions: ER89

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Kadri isn't that player.
Minnesota absolutely needs a #2, especially one under the age of 30. Kadri for Spurgeon isn't a no-brainer decision IMO, but it's definitely something that would have to be considered.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Benning is a nothing burger. Wild have PLENTY of 3rd pairing Dmen. Pateryn, Seeler, Soucy, Prosser, Belpedio. Pulju...who knows...I'd have to leave that to the scouts. The 1st is nice, but you'd have to promise to suck. I have no clue Where EDM is going to finish, especially with Spurgeon on the team.

That trade would probably not work from EDM cap POV. They would probably want to include something unfortunate like Sekera, Lucic or Russell. Even with some retention, those players are a no go.
If that trade were to happen then Caggiula and Kassian could be shipped off and we would have room.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Zaitsev is a decent second-pairing RHD. Had a poor year last year, after injury, mono... but his play recovered some late in the year, and playoffs. I know you don't particularly like the player, probably based on what you saw mid last year, but I'd expect he shall rebound. The challenge being, we need to add to our RHD, not swap them around... and Zaitsev + Kadri is an overpay, unless something decent is coming back to us. Perhaps... Nino + Spurgeon for Kadri + Zaitsev + ??? Assuming we can move Nylander to C

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, it would be a giant gamble for the Wild. If Pulju was a C, then they might take it, but they've got Nino, Coyle, Zucker, Parise, Greenway, Kunin, hopefully Kaprizov in a year, and Sokolov also coming down the pipe. Don't see the need for another winger, unless he is a complete stud, and Pulju appears to be a work in progress. The Wild could well be trading for the next Ryan Strome, but one who doesn't play C.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Zaitsev is a decent second-pairing RHD. Had a poor year last year, after injury, mono... but his play recovered some late in the year, and playoffs. I know you don't particularly like the player, probably based on what you saw mid last year, but I'd expect he shall rebound. The challenge being, we need to add to our RHD, not swap them around... and Zaitsev + Kadri is an overpay, unless something decent is coming back to us. Perhaps... Nino + Spurgeon for Kadri + Zaitsev + ??? Assuming we can move Nylander to C
I think we'd look to solve the RD question with a team like Carolina. Failing that we do have some options internally.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->