Value of: spurgeon

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What's Minnesota's motivation? Are they looking for a way to re-tool the team?
Fletcher was let go because of repeated 1st-round exists. Presumably Fenton is under orders to improve the team and get them further than that. The word "tweak" has been driven into the ground, but it seems to be what Leipold is expecting and what Fenton was looking to do before the draft.

The market doesn't seem to have been there, though. I think it's likely Minnesota will make a trade before July of next year, but they'll probably go into this season with their current team.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Fletcher was let go because of repeated 1st-round exists. Presumably Fenton is under orders to improve the team and get them further than that. The word "tweak" has been driven into the ground, but it seems to be what Leipold is expecting and what Fenton was looking to do before the draft.

The market doesn't seem to have been there, though. I think it's likely Minnesota will make a trade before July of next year, but they'll probably go into this season with their current team.

That's understandable. But how does trading a performing mid career player make Minnesota better NOW? Unless they want to trade futures, or someone does them a favor? Is the concern that he's under leveraged behind Dumba?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I

I’m willing to bet he’d be your best Centre next season
And there's very little doubt that Spurgeon would be your best defenseman.

I personally think that Spurgeon for Kadri straight up is fair, but if anyone is adding, it's Toronto.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That's understandable. But how does trading a performing mid career player make Minnesota better NOW? Unless they want to trade futures, or someone does them a favor? Is the concern that he's under leveraged behind Dumba?
Spurgeon's just one option. Zucker and Nino seem like likely candidates. I'd bet Brodin will be too as soon as they confirm how Suter has recovered. Maybe Coyle, though he's cheap, right-handed and plays two of our shallower positions (C and RW).

Anyway, I don't think the goal is to get better right now at all costs. The bigger question is how Minnesota stays competitive and takes a step forward while guys like Parise, Koivu and Staal get older and contribute less. They could double-down on the 30+ guys (bad idea) or try to re-orient around the 20-somethings and ELC guys (probably a better idea). A younger (early-mid 20's) forward with high upside seems ideal to me, and Spurgeon could be the price we have to pay for that sort of player. But if one isn't available I don't see any problem with keeping Spurgeon.

Edit: I'll add, Spurgeon for a top-6 center that's around the same age would also interest me. I was sort of hoping for Spurgeon for O'Reilly, but that doesn't seem to be what Botterill was after. I can't deny that Kadri would also fit the bill.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Spurgeon's just one option. Zucker and Nino seem like likely candidates. I'd bet Brodin will be too as soon as they confirm how Suter has recovered. Maybe Coyle, though he's cheap, right-handed and plays two of our shallower positions (C and RW).

Anyway, I don't think the goal is to get better right now at all costs. The bigger question is how Minnesota stays competitive and takes a step forward while guys like Parise, Koivu and Staal get older and contribute less. They could double-down on the 30+ guys (bad idea) or try to re-orient around the 20-somethings and ELC guys (probably a better idea). A younger (early-mid 20's) forward with high upside seems ideal to me, and Spurgeon could be the price we have to pay for that sort of player. But if one isn't available I don't see any problem with keeping Spurgeon.

That's the bind. The clock is ticking on Suter, Parise, Koivu and Staal. Only Staal is tradeable, but MIN can't really upgrade him, he's already awesome. If Minnesota wants to maximize their value now they need to bundle futures to upgrade the mid 20s guys. If they trade away unbundled mid 20s guys: Spurgeon, Brodin, Coyle, Zucker, Niederreiter they can't get better now, only in the future.

It's a very thin market to go from mid 20's above average player to high upside prospect.

Reactions: 2Pair

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Did I just see someone propose Zaitsev+Hyman for Super-geon?

You're talking about a legitimate #1D for an offensively limited winger with great defensive skills and a replacement level RHD on a shocking contract.
When you start " value of" threads, you have to expect such things, Especially from Leafs fans.

Just for the record, the Wild don't need middle six wingers with limited offensive skills, or poorly performing Dmen on expensive contracts. I mean, what team does?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That's the bind. The clock is ticking on Suter, Parise, Koivu and Staal. Only Staal is tradeable, but MIN can't really upgrade him, he's already awesome. If Minnesota wants to maximize their value now they need to bundle futures to upgrade the mid 20s guys. If they trade away unbundled mid 20s guys: Spurgeon, Brodin, Coyle, Zucker, Niederreiter they can't get better now, only in the future.

It's a very thin market to go from mid 20's above average player to high upside prospect.
If the market isn't there the market isn't there. We're better off betting on internal development than making bad trades, if that's the choice we're facing. There's no reason to get desperate.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
All the recent hype about Dumba should not hide the fact that Spurgeon is a better all round Dman. Unlike Dumba, he provides excellent, mainly gaffe free( everyone has bad days) defense.
If Dumba is good enough to play with Suter, putting Spurgeon back with Brodin is a great thing, as Spurgeon will be able to spread his wings a bit more, and Brodin won't have to babysit his partner, allowing him to take more chances.

The only way Spurgeon should ever get traded is for a gifted top six player. Top pairing RHD are valuable and near impossible to trade for.

Reactions: Aurinko

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
And there's very little doubt that Spurgeon would be your best defenseman.

I personally think that Spurgeon for Kadri straight up is fair, but if anyone is adding, it's Toronto.
Rielly > Spurgeon imo

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Toronto is better off holding onto there young players and building up there value. I wouldn't be shocked to see Johnsson and Nylander score 70 points.

Obviously we would love Dumba/Jared though; and we want to close on a deal if there was something logical for both parties

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think Spurgeon is better at his position relative to Kadri at his.

eh I think it's close, and as good as spurgeon is I think his numbers are helped by playing alongside an equally awesome Suter, whereas kadri hasn't had frontline linemates for the most part.

to be honest - I don't think the wild should be trading spurgeon at all, especially if they're doing it because they think dumba is better...when he's nowhere near as good.

but, if they were trading spurgeon for some strange reason, I do think kadri is pretty good trade partner.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I would love to bring him home to Edmonton.
Lets go with something like:
Pulju + Benning + 1st
Fenton would have to do his homework on Puljujarvi, but I don't hate it. I don't see much use for Benning since I'd assume we'd be adding a middle-pairing RHD in another trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad