Value of: spurgeon

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I’m fairly certain this is a poke at the Hyman for Dumba thread not too long ago.
I was thinking the proposed trade was Nylander+Hyman+Zaitsev for Spurgeon and a sizeable plus. I would want a pretty big plus for that deal to go through. If it is just hyman+zaitsev for Spurgeon that's obviously not fair for the wild.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Unless the Wild wanted more picks and young NHLers like Kappy for Spurgeon I just don't see the fit with Spurgeon and Toronto.
Yes, 28 year old top pairing RHD usually go for potential 3rd liners.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yes, 28 year old top pairing RHD usually go for potential 3rd liners.

Yeah, completely ignore the picks portion of it, I can tell your reading comprehension is fantastic.

I also feel like I read a ton of stuff about ROR (a top pairing centre) never going for scraps a few months back.

Maybe HF doesn't show f*** all about trades?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah, completely ignore the picks portion of it, I can tell your reading comprehension is fantastic.

I also feel like I read a ton of stuff about ROR (a top pairing centre) never going for scraps a few months back.

Maybe HF doesn't show **** all about trades?
I can't even imagine the amount of picks you would have to add to Kapanen to even start a conversation

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I can't even imagine the amount of picks you would have to add to Kapanen to even start a conversation

Kapanen and a 1st is probably fair value, maybe something else. Should the Wild accept that? No.

Wild have a lot of forwards as it is, it doesn't make sense to trade a player like Spurgeon who helps them quite a bit just to add another forward and a question mark in a draft pick. Wild should target a centre back in return if they're going to pull the trigger.

Someone like Wennberg who seems to have fallen out of favour in Columbus (or at the least, Tortorella) might make sense for the Wild but the Jackets are loaded at right defense with Jones and Savard on the right side :)

Hard to find a perfect fit and in all likelihood, Spurgeon is a Wild until at least the deadline if the Wild are out of it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Kapanen and a 1st is probably fair value, maybe something else. Should the Wild accept that? No.

Wild have a lot of forwards as it is, it doesn't make sense to trade a player like Spurgeon who helps them quite a bit just to add another forward and a question mark in a draft pick. Wild should target a centre back in return if they're going to pull the trigger.

Someone like Wennberg who seems to have fallen out of favour in Columbus (or at the least, Tortorella) might make sense for the Wild but the Jackets are loaded at right defense with Jones and Savard on the right side :)

Hard to find a perfect fit and in all likelihood, Spurgeon is a Wild until at least the deadline if the Wild are out of it.
Not even f***ing close.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kapanen and a late 1st isn't fair value.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I love that only TOR offers seem to be made. 29 other teams in the league and almost everything posted circles back to the Leafs.

Except 2 comments about Columbus being a bad match, and another about San Jose. Props to both @WTFMAN99 and @CanadianSharks for giving this thread something else to acknowledge outside of the centre of the sporting universe of Toronto!

The big problem I see with even attempting to create a proposal around Spurgeon is Minnesota doesn't have a blue chip dman waiting to fill that open RD slot if they move out Spurgeon. Their needs - from a non Minnesota fan appear to be high end impact talent on the top 6 - because outside of Zucker, Granlund and potentially Neiderreitter they don't have anything eye popping up front. I don't have faith in Staal being a fixture beyond another 2-3 year extension possibly.

This roster for Minnesota without a major contribution from Greenway, Errickson Ek and one other is a bubble team looking at the playoffs from the outside in unless Dubnyk stands on his head a la Hamburgler Hammond for the Ottawa 2015-16 stretch run. And unless they can find a way to move out Parise's contract, I don't see them having the cap space for a major addition as a long term solution that isn't internal.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
My dream is that Kapanen or Johnsson put up 40 points in the first 55 games or so and prove their worth so that we can tack a pick on and make a trade for Spurgeon.

The problem with a Nylander for Spurgeon trade, besides age, is that we don't actually have long term solutions on the wing besides Nylander and Marner. Our RW is Nylander, Marner, Kapanen and Brown. Our LW is Hyman, Marleau, Johnsson, and a Marlie/Jooris/Ennis. Hyman and Brown are great supporting pieces, but they're not stars. Marleau is still good but we don't know for how long. Kappy and Johnsson have lots of potential but are completely unproven. Nylander and Marner are both outstanding players, but they're our only legit top line wingers to pair with our elite centres. We've got some good prospects who could develop, but they're probably a few years out from being impact players if they develop properly at all. We want to have good wingers to put with Matthews and Tavares (and Kadri too) and if our RW is Marner, Kapanen, Brown, and a Marlie, that's not good enough. Hey @AKL, tell everyone how good Kapanen is, that would be our #2 RW.

We've got wing depth in that middle six and bottom6+tweeners for days, but we only have two long term answers on the wing. If Johnnson or Kapanen explode into legit forwards then one of them is likely expendable. But until then, we're not actually dealing from a position of strength in moving Nylander.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
for the last year I thought he was be going to the Oilers then I realized they dont have the cap space for him. what's his value a d what team makes sense if a trade could happen?. also like the idea of spurgeon + for William nylander from Toronto but dont know what the + would be and how big of a plus. Thanks

A potential playoff calibre defence:

Rielly ______
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Carrick

The call-ups:
Rosen Holl
Marincin Ozhiganov

The future additions:
Sandin Liljegren

The strategy should be to develop the right side and go shopping at the deadline after some prospects get to split the first 60 nhl games to develop this year.

If we can add a dman at the deadline without removing anything from our NHL team, why not do that? ie. Picks/prospects.

If one of the prospects step up, like Dermott last year, Leafs may not need to rush into a trade at all.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I love that only TOR offers seem to be made. 29 other teams in the league and almost everything posted circles back to the Leafs.

Except 2 comments about Columbus being a bad match, and another about San Jose. Props to both @WTFMAN99 and @CanadianSharks for giving this thread something else to acknowledge outside of the centre of the sporting universe of Toronto!

The big problem I see with even attempting to create a proposal around Spurgeon is Minnesota doesn't have a blue chip dman waiting to fill that open RD slot if they move out Spurgeon. Their needs - from a non Minnesota fan appear to be high end impact talent on the top 6 - because outside of Zucker, Granlund and potentially Neiderreitter they don't have anything eye popping up front. I don't have faith in Staal being a fixture beyond another 2-3 year extension possibly.

This roster for Minnesota without a major contribution from Greenway, Errickson Ek and one other is a bubble team looking at the playoffs from the outside in unless Dubnyk stands on his head a la Hamburgler Hammond for the Ottawa 2015-16 stretch run. And unless they can find a way to move out Parise's contract, I don't see them having the cap space for a major addition as a long term solution that isn't internal.

Kaprizov coming over would have been huge. Hopefully Kunin shatters expectations...and Ek needs to show that he's more then a 3rd line centre. I thought Eriksson Ek could have been something special.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

I will post this as an honest post, and as a Leafs fan. Not long ago i saw a thtead made with "please no Leafs fans respond". I actually like that idea...and I did and will abide by threads with that in the title.

It would actually be a neat experement for both myself (and other Leafs fans) as well as other teams fans. Why? Simple...because i saw a post in here saying Nylander for Spurgeon...and i honestly think that's to much from Toronto. But maybe i am overvaluing our players. It would be refreshing to see only fans of 29 other teams responding to threads involving Spurgeon...Dumba....Trouba....Tanev. Because with the Leafs need for D, obviously Leafs fans would respond to an open thread, but with what i have read that it would cost from TO countless times in countless threads, i would like to see offers/demands from other teams.

I get there are posters that take bad offers to the extreme, but a lot of times i see offers from TO i think are pretty solid, maybe i am wrong....would be fun to read a thread without TO being mentioned.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
No plus would be needed. If anything it would be on the Kadri side.

eh...two very good players on very good contracts, but kadri is signed for 4yrs and spurgeon only 2yrs....so I think those extra 2 bargain yrs are probably worth a +.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
eh...two very good players on very good contracts, but kadri is signed for 4yrs and spurgeon only 2yrs....so I think those extra 2 bargain yrs are probably worth a +.

I think Spurgeon is better at his position relative to Kadri at his.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Spurgeon was imo clearly the best D in wild for few years. Last year Dumba had an awesome year, but he had contract open and Spurgeon should bounce back anyway.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Did I just see someone propose Zaitsev+Hyman for Super-geon?

You're talking about a legitimate #1D for an offensively limited winger with great defensive skills and a replacement level RHD on a shocking contract.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I can see the Wild looking at trading Spurgeon. They'd need to find a 2nd-pairing RD (e.g. Faulk) to fill the top-4 spot, but they could afford the positional dowgrade if it meant an upgrade at forward. And Spurgeon's one of the better pieces they have to upgrade at forward.

The return has to be worth it though, because I don't think Minnesota has any worries about just hanging onto him. I get why Toronto would be interested, but it's been driven into the ground as to why that's unlikely to happen. Ditto for Edmonton.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think Spurgeon is better at his position relative to Kadri at his.

arguable. and Kadri's on a great deal.

maybe straight up for one team or the the other might not work, but perhaps a larger deal around those two might work.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
arguable. and Kadri's on a great deal.

maybe straight up for one team or the the other might not work, but perhaps a larger deal around those two might work.
There's a lot about Kadri that would fit the Wild's needs, but for the life of me I don't think I could stomach him in a Wild jersey. I'm sure I'd get over it if it happened, but... yeah. I'd rather keep Spurgeon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad