Blue Jays Discussion: Spring training begins today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
His words were the following:

"I know what my value is... I understand the business." - he gave ownership/management a # and doesn't appear interested in negotiating. Indicating that he really doesn't know how the business works since negotiation is a key part of it.

"I don't believe in the whole budget and payroll. I don't believe in any of that." - he really doesn't seem to understand the business.

"It's not necessarily just Ross (Atkins) and Mark (Shapiro). Some of that decision.... has to come from ownership." - this isn't really him not showing trust/faith/belief in management. This is him trying to cut their legs off and hope that ownership will authorize and push the move through.

"I don't know how long their rope is to make decisions on contracts like that." - While this isn't him trying to goad management into pushing the deal on a challenge, it is the realistic view that big money deals generally require ownership sign-off.

Also his linking of the Jays' success to Rogers stick prices is laughable in is naivete. You can't just assume that the two are inexorably linked any more than you can say that the Jays' success was specifically because of LaTroy Hawkins because the spike in their record obviously coincided with his acquisition and a similar improvement in overall pen performance.

your assertion that there's any obvious evidence here is crazy. There's nothing but your suppositions and belief that this somehow obviously points to Bautista being pissed off at Shapiro/Atkins. Literally nothing. And couching it in "you'd have to be blind not to see it." doesn't make it any more true. If anything he's railing against ownership for not wanting to spend more, but he's doing so in a pretty unconvincing, wrongly-grounded way and for far-too-obvious self-interest.

if you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend Joey isn't rip$hit angry at how this offseason has gone, despite reading all the words you just posted, that is up to you.

but it's ridiculous, fyi.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Um... not so much. Even ignoring the salary differences and ages, Pompey is currently a better outfielder than Jay Bruce.

My guess is that the Jays are not convinced of Pompey's readiness and/or Saunders' ability to remain healthy. And if the Reds are willing to maintain money, they may see Bruce as a better option.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Jesus Zombie Tapdancing Christ, why do we want Jay Bruce? He's been terrible for 2 years, and at his best he's just power with mediocre OBP. He's a better JP Arencibia. The idea that the Jays would give up anything of value for him is scary.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
So a team that is looking to save money, is going out and getting an outfielder that is making significantly more than what they have? Seriously, how is Bruce a 10M a year upgrade?

What in the actual ****.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
fvoYsBS.gif

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Jesus Zombie Tapdancing Christ, why do we want Jay Bruce? He's been terrible for 2 years, and at his best he's just power with mediocre OBP. He's a better JP Arencibia. The idea that the Jays would give up anything of value for him is scary.

I'm a little dumbfounded too... Tons of power and xbh's but assuming both are healthy he's not really and upgrade on Saunders and would cost 10M more.

Unless there's something additional in the deal that involves an RP etc

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
saunders is better than bruce.

That's why I can't help thinking there would have to be more to it than that. Even if money was coming back to balance out salaries, this move would make the team worse.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We better not be giving up anything useful to have an expensive not all that good Jay Bruce on the team.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
if you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend Joey isn't rip$hit angry at how this offseason has gone, despite reading all the words you just posted, that is up to you.

but it's ridiculous, fyi.

:laugh:

Yep, I'm the ridiculous one for not trying to jam everything he said, the sensible and the blatantly wrong alike, into an asinine and patently obvious anti-Shapiro/Atkins agenda (made obvious by that absurd portmanteau nickname that you seem intent on foisting on this discussion at every turn). Sure thing. Everyone here is blind and it's all you seeing "the truth". Right.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
:laugh:

Yep, I'm the ridiculous one for not trying to jam everything he said, the sensible and the blatantly wrong alike, into an asinine and patently obvious anti-Shapiro/Atkins agenda (made obvious by that absurd portmanteau nickname that you seem intent on foisting on this discussion at every turn). Sure thing. Everyone here is blind and it's all you seeing "the truth". Right.

You speak as if yoi are in the majority opinion as to how this offseason has gone.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I can't help but think there is another piece coming with Bruce. Saunders is better than Bruce so it makes no sense at all to downgrade in LF while taking on 10M in salary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad