Blue Jays Discussion: Spring training begins today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Unless Cincy is willing to eat a ton of Bruce's contract, yep. And even then, you're balancing Bruce's full season's worth of general awfulness against Saunders being a better player, just for far fewer games in the season because he's made of glass and paper mache.

Maybe the Reds eat 5-7m on Bruce's contract and get some minor prospect from the Angels in order to get out from under his deal this year. Maybe the Jays get another arm for the 7th bullpen spot pot luck. I just hope that the team isn't taking on full value for Bruce's contract for this year, even if it only is for this year.

Except that it's funny that a move like that comes on the heels of another round of crying over how Rogers is cheap yet again.

Exactly. Even if the money is sufficient to balance out the deals to the point where the Jays aren't taking on any salary, I still hate it unless there's something else involved. It doesn't have to be something huge, but it would be a downgrade for no reason.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I guess Bruce is a LH power bat? I don't see why else they covet him. He was decent to good from 2010-2013.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
At very least a replacement for EE next year at DH. (yes i know he can't hold a candle to EE) Aside from that, I need to see how things play out to make sense of it all.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Heh, I guess that new analytics department was just for show.

Analytics: "We don't think this should be a move we make"

Shapiro: "Yeah.... we are going to do it anyway"

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Any chance this is a "replacement" for Jose when he gets moved for pitching prospects before the season?

Could see an outfield of Pompey - Pillar - Bruce if this goes down.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Heh, I guess that new analytics department was just for show.

Analytics: "We don't think this should be a move we make"

Shapiro: "Yeah.... we are going to do it anyway"

It's certainly possible that their analytics see something in him, I just can't figure out what that is other than an interesting drop in K-rate.

The Jacoby connection is kind of interesting, too. Considering how much they've stressed that they want everyone to have input, I wonder if it's a situation where Jacoby said "I see what he's doing, and I think I can fix it."

I'm always open to the idea that it could work out, but I still don't like it at all.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
The only thing that makes any sense for the Jays is that Bruce is a Left handed bat. As of right now I think the only lefty is Goins and he isnt even guaranteed an everyday spot.

I think part of this deal is also the fact that EE and Jose are free agents at years end. Having Bruce for an extra year may cushion the blow of losing one or both of them.

Im definitely not saying this potential deal is justified unless there is more to it (pitcher maybe?) but I think those points may have at least been considered for why to acquire him.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Lets hope nobody told Heyman about the 10 million that's also coming to the Jays. This is just burning money otherwise.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jay Bruce projection's.... look at that OBP

RFI9LgW.png

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
The only thing that makes any sense for the Jays is that Bruce is a Left handed bat. As of right now I think the only lefty is Goins and he isnt even guaranteed an everyday spot.

I think part of this deal is also the fact that EE and Jose are free agents at years end. Having Bruce for an extra year may cushion the blow of losing one or both of them.

Im definitely not saying this potential deal is justified unless there is more to it (pitcher maybe?) but I think those points may have at least been considered for why to acquire him.

Smoak is a switch hitter and he'll be a part of Smoakabello

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It's certainly possible that their analytics see something in him, I just can't figure out what that is other than an interesting drop in K-rate.

The Jacoby connection is kind of interesting, too. Considering how much they've stressed that they want everyone to have input, I wonder if it's a situation where Jacoby said "I see what he's doing, and I think I can fix it."

I'm always open to the idea that it could work out, but I still don't like it at all.

It's possible but is it the most negative thing that you could think of? Of course not. Analytics obviously said no to him

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Smoak is a switch hitter. And I wouldnt really consider Goins. Even if he gets regular duty the guy couldn't hit a beach ball.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I'd be livid if we traded for Bruce. He has been complete and total **** the last 2 years. -0.8 fWAR combined. Saunders, even with his injuries, is a significant upgrade in the wRC+, OBP, and defensive departments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad