Blue Jays Discussion: Spring training begins today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Ok, so Saunders out seems to indicate that they're really not sold on him being healthy all year and don't want Pompey sitting on the bench just in case. But that's a big boost in payroll for a guy that's not worth it. Unless there's more to the deal that the Jays are sending out and/or getting back.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I can't help but think there is another piece coming with Bruce. Saunders is better than Bruce so it makes no sense at all to downgrade in LF while taking on 10M in salary...

Exactly. Another good pitcher or something to balance it out? Sure. A really good near-MLB-ready prospect? Deal!

But... Saunders for Bruce? That's terrible, even if money is involved.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
You speak as if yoi are in the majority opinion as to how this offseason has gone.

The "majority" is often full of uninformed baseball fans who started following the team only when they got good and have next to no understanding of how the management/off-field side of things works. Or, worse yet, try in vain to graft a hockey understanding of front office works onto baseball as if it's the same thing.

But when I look at the people who know what they're talking about, who give rational, fleshed out ideas instead of speculation, supposition, and connect-the-dots-and-read-between-the-lines spin, I generally don't see the same camp as the one that has been brazenly ripping new management since day 1 or crying about money not spent on Price, or any of the other sorts of things.

I also wasn't aware that the majority was necessary to validate an opinion. Here I was stupidly thinking it was logic and evidence. Real evidence too. Not hot takes and press releases filtered through a supposed double-speak translator.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sounds like it's going to happen.

Saunders would go to third team

Yeah, apparently the Angels.

Assuming it's a cyclical swap, it would be

From Reds to Jays: Bruce
From Jays to Angels: Saunders
From Angels to Reds: ???

still uuuuuuuuugh. There's a little versatility because he's always been a RF and he would likely be a LF with Toronto. but that's a lot of money to add for a guy who isn't worth it. Feels more like a casual fan trade, because casual fans are less likely to recognize that Bruce as a terrible, overpaid option and more likely to note that the name is vaguely familiar and look at all those dingers.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
why in the world are we doing this?

for fun, im gonna predict Dickey is apart of the deal

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, apparently the Angels.

Assuming it's a cyclical swap, it would be

From Reds to Jays: Bruce
From Jays to Angels: Saunders
From Angels to Reds: ???

With a few minor exceptions, I've liked what the Jays have done this offseason. This would be the first major blunder in a while.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The "majority" is often full of uninformed baseball fans who started following the team only when they got good and have next to no understanding of how the management/off-field side of things works. Or, worse yet, try in vain to graft a hockey understanding of front office works onto baseball as if it's the same thing.

But when I look at the people who know what they're talking about, who give rational, fleshed out ideas instead of speculation, supposition, and connect-the-dots-and-read-between-the-lines spin, I generally don't see the same camp as the one that has been brazenly ripping new management since day 1 or crying about money not spent on Price, or any of the other sorts of things.

I also wasn't aware that the majority was necessary to validate an opinion. Here I was stupidly thinking it was logic and evidence. Real evidence too. Not hot takes and press releases filtered through a supposed double-speak translator.

you were the one implying that i thought my opinion was special and that everyone else it too dumb to see.

but it appears that is you.

Buckleys

Jul 21, 2006
As much as I wish AA was our General Manager still, Atkins/Shapiro are still good baseball guys, there is a good staff there (many of which were put in place by AA).

Shapiro believes in a committee approach (or at least I believe that's what he said). So while I'm not fond of the idea of Bruce at all, I'm at least willing to give him a chance if that group of people sees something there.

Unless of course, it's apart of something bigger and Bruce was just a dump from the Reds to get a piece we really want. That would definitely make more sense.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If the Reds are sending money as well, could the Jays be looking at playing Pompey regularly and using Bruce as the fourth outfielder and bat off the bench?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
If the Reds are sending money as well, could the Jays be looking at playing Pompey regularly and using Bruce as the fourth outfielder and bat off the bench?

Can't see them acquiring a guy like Bruce and not playing him everyday.

If anything this would ensure Pompey starts in AAA.

I also would not hate this move if there's a bit of money coming back our way.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
With a few minor exceptions, I've liked what the Jays have done this offseason. This would be the first major blunder in a while.

Unless Cincy is willing to eat a ton of Bruce's contract, yep. And even then, you're balancing Bruce's full season's worth of general awfulness against Saunders being a better player, just for far fewer games in the season because he's made of glass and paper mache.

Maybe the Reds eat 5-7m on Bruce's contract and get some minor prospect from the Angels in order to get out from under his deal this year. Maybe the Jays get another arm for the 7th bullpen spot pot luck. I just hope that the team isn't taking on full value for Bruce's contract for this year, even if it only is for this year.

Except that it's funny that a move like that comes on the heels of another round of crying over how Rogers is cheap yet again.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Weird series of events. I feel like there should be another piece of salary heading out. Or atleast a portion of Bruce's being retained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad