Sportsnet top 20 centres

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So you admit to moving the goalposts, but you accuse others of an agenda?

Your arguments are getting worse.
Nope. The only one moving goal posts is yourself to further your agenda.
I’ve been consistent saying that I base my opinions based on production. I’m sorry you’re having difficulty grasping that concept.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
Nope. The only one moving goal posts is yourself to further your agenda.
I’ve been consistent saying that I base my opinions based on production. I’m sorry you’re having difficulty grasping that concept.

...arguing against a list based NOT on pure production.

Yeah, I rest my case.

Reactions: Max Money

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
...arguing against a list based NOT on pure production.

Yeah, I rest my case.
You never had a case to rest. Elite players get production. It’s a pretty simple concept. If and when Matthews produces he’ll be elite just like every other elite player before him. I think he’ll get there but he’s not there yet. A list that has him as the top 5 center is flawed in its methodology.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Oh good, the poll with a whopping total of 61 votes for Tavares on a website with well over 100,000 members is used to indicate HF's consensus opinion.

One person's opinion is usually used to judge an entire fanbase around here.

Move them goal posts just a liiiiiiiiiiittle further.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
I have a serious question.

Why aren't more people on this site being paid to share their opinions across all major media outlets?

Right, because your opinions mean shit. If they mattered you'd be the ones being paid to make lists. Ironically the ones who have played the game, been around the game longer than most of you have been alive are the ones being paid to share their opinions, and the consensus AROUND THE LEAGUE is that Matthews is a top 5 center. Clearly you 14 year olds know more about hockey.

Sidenote: Does anyone actually think that NHL.com needs to pander to their largest fanbase? What the hell kind of dumbass logic is that? They're trying to grow the game. If anything the LEAGUE website should be pandering to small market teams. Shouldn't we see more Golden Knights players? Panthers? Coyotes? Nope. The league knows absolutely nothing about marketing and only wants to keep their existing clientele.

It's actually mind numbing how someone of you come to these conclusions. How the hell does it make sense for these lists to be catered to an individual fanbase if everyone has to click on the link just to read it in the first place? Leaf fans are going to click on the article regardless because they want to know where their guys would rank. THey don't click it knowing he's ALREADY ranked top 5 and they just want to see who's around him. Again, anyone using their head wouldn't even come to that conclusion.

It must REALLY suck to hate the Leafs right now.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Yeah Sportsnet panders to the Toronto market by having Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson always broadcasting their games on a Saturday night, even though they are bias against the Leafs. Who can forget last season when the Canucks defeated the Leafs in a shootout and Hughson said "There is nothing better on a Saturday night than defeating the Maple Leafs." I'm sure HNIC loved their lead announcer basically trashing the #1 Hockey market for Sportsnet.

That’s not what he said. Your snivelling over hughson is entertaining though. Yes, how dare they not bow down to you during a national game like Bowen would. Holy mackinaw!

Reactions: theblackadder

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I was surprised the article actually said Toews used to be one of the most overrated forwards. Has SN been reading HFB? o_O Didn't the channel love him as much as any other media entity?

"Toews has gone from one of the NHL’s most overrated forwards to one of the more underrated."

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014

Why aren't more people on this site being paid to share their opinions across all major media outlets?

Right, because your opinions mean ****. If they mattered you'd be the ones being paid to make lists. Ironically the ones who have played the game, been around the game longer than most of you have been alive are the ones being paid to share their opinions, and the consensus AROUND THE LEAGUE is that Matthews is a top 5 center. Clearly you 14 year olds know more about hockey.

Sidenote: Does anyone actually think that NHL.com needs to pander to their largest fanbase? What the hell kind of dumbass logic is that? They're trying to grow the game. If anything the LEAGUE website should be pandering to small market teams. Shouldn't we see more Golden Knights players? Panthers? Coyotes? Nope. The league knows absolutely nothing about marketing and only wants to keep their existing clientele.

It's actually mind numbing how someone of you come to these conclusions. How the hell does it make sense for these lists to be catered to an individual fanbase if everyone has to click on the link just to read it in the first place? Leaf fans are going to click on the article regardless because they want to know where their guys would rank. THey don't click it knowing he's ALREADY ranked top 5 and they just want to see who's around him. Again, anyone using their head wouldn't even come to that conclusion.

There are literally dozens of people on here I respect the opinion of more than a lot of these dopey media hacks.

Are you kidding me?

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Matthew's haters every time a new center list comes out:
flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Right, because your opinions mean ****. If they mattered you'd be the ones being paid to make lists. Ironically the ones who have played the game, been around the game longer than most of you have been alive are the ones being paid to share their opinions, and the consensus AROUND THE LEAGUE is that Matthews is a top 5 center. Clearly you 14 year olds know more about hockey.

- Why are people giving their opinions on politics when havent been asked to run for office?
- Why arent taxi drivers and truckers being paid to give opinions on self-driving AI?
- Why are people so picky about what they eat when they dont have a red seal?
- Why do people complain about traffic and infrastructure when they dont have an engineering degree?
- Why do people give an opinion about taxes when they have no background in accounting, economics, or finance?
- Why do people talk about airport security when they haven't been a victim of terrorism?

Dude. You dont need to be a paid expert to give valid opinions or critiscm, nor does earning a wage for services rendered mean the services rendered are of the highest quality. There's people in every workplace that slack or do poor work. Not all opinions are well reasoned but people still have a right to form and share them - take this article for example. By all means, keep appealing to authority, but there's no reason to sound so smug about it.

If you truly believe what you just wrote, then the next time you have an opinion on anything outside of your field, remind yourself - "if my opinion mattered, I would be paid for it". Then swallow your opinion and dont share it with anyone, because apparently it doesnt matter. That's a sad way to go about things IMO

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I think the issue is more with the article clearly stating that centers are graded "over the last three seasons"....which you'd think would render Matthews ineligible, obviously through no fault of his own.

But Sportsnet knew that adding him in early would get us all talking and giving them page views, so....yeah.

That's pretty much why he's on there. :laugh:
I think the added him for the same reason that they had McDavid last year- Too good to leave out.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
- Why are people giving their opinions on politics when havent been asked to run for office?
- Why arent taxi drivers and truckers being paid to give opinions on self-driving AI?
- Why do people complain about traffic and infrastructure when they dont have an engineering degree?
- Why do people give an opinion about taxes when they have no background in accounting, economics, or finance?
- Why do people talk about airport security when they haven't been a victim of terrorism?

Dude. You dont need to be a paid expert to give valid opinions or critiscm, nor does earning a wage for services rendered mean the services rendered are of the highest quality. There's people in every workplace that slack or do poor work. Not all opinions are well reasoned but people still have a right to form and share them - take this article for example. By all means, keep appealing to authority, but there's no reason to sound so smug about it.

If you truly believe what you just wrote, then the next time you have an opinion on anything outside of your field, remind yourself - "if my opinion mattered, I would be paid for it". Then swallow your opinion and dont share it with anyone, because apparently it doesnt matter. That's a sad way to go about things IMO

Dude, if you go in for a filling of a cavity and your dentist gets the chart wrong and mistakenly attempts to pull all your teeth, you're only qualified to argue he shouldn't do it if you also went to dental school. Otherwise, just let him do it because clearly he's the professional and knows best.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
so they hired a habs fan to use a numbers only analysis in order to have a biased slant to appeal to Leafs fans? sure, anything that helps you complain about something

It's all a conspiracy, don't you know?

Every hockey publication and everyone working for them has an inherent bias to the Leafs. If they don't, they are forced to pander to them.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe

Beautiful. one to add, have you ever had a bad meal at a restaurant that you could have made better? Nope, no way. those are paid chefs their food will always unequivocally be better, after all they are paid to make it while you make your own dinner without pay.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Confirmed with link and everything, After Penguins 2 and 3, the Oilers have the second best top 6 centers in the leuage, The undisputed no 1 and a young rising no 16. The future are ours, clear the streets in Edmonton!

Thread?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Every single example you listed has a direct impact on the person's life. Is Matthews ranking higher up a list impacting your quality of life?

:laugh:

Perhaps it is.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
That’s what I said. I disagree with the list and the concept of it. I base my opinion on whether a player is elite on production ie results. I have yet to see an elite player who has never cracked the top 20 in points. Heck I’d say you’d have to at least crack the top 5 unless you’re an elite penalty killer like Bergeron or Kopitar. Now Matthews may very well get there. But he’s not there yet.
You can use what ever definition of elite suits your agenda. I’ve made it clear I base mine on actual production.
So... points.

Reactions: 6 Karlsson 5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad