Sportsnet top 20 centres

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Irrelevant and partially false. Do you say this to anyone you know that complained about the Last Jedi or some other similarly poor movie? One could argue no form of entertainment impacts peoples lives. Video games, movies, TV, sports...take the food example - how does a rare steak impact your life if you ordered a well done? A rare steak wont kill you, but people will send it back... the chewiness and a little more blood wont affect you.

I dont think that is a very good arguement, hockey affects each of our lives to enough of a degree where we get on a website and write back and forth about it....if it truly had no impact on your life and mine, we wouldnt be here. Matthew's has a lot less of an impact on my life then many other things, I only have 2 other posts in this thread, both on page one...hardly would say my quality of life is affected? Do taxes adversly impact your quality of life? Lol... you dont live in a communist state, do you?

Wrong.

I responded to your post, which didn't include the example(s) you've now listed.

As for the steak, yes, it does impact your quality of life as you're eating it. The meal is going into your body, I hope Matthews isn't.

Taxes undoubtedly impact your quality of life and it's impossible to argue otherwise. Taxes pay for healthcare, education, infrastructure, and more. It also impacts your buying power on a day-to-day basis (sales taxes, income tax). I have an accounting background, so in this case, I am qualified. :laugh:

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Wrong.

I responded to your post, which didn't include the example(s) you've now listed.

As for the steak, yes, it does impact your quality of life as you're eating it. The meal is going into your body, I hope Matthews isn't.

Taxes undoubtedly impact your quality of life and it's impossible to argue otherwise. Taxes pay for healthcare, education, infrastructure, and more. It also impacts your buying power on a day-to-day basis (sales taxes, income tax). I have an accounting background, so in this case, I am qualified. :laugh:
By that logic Matthews definitely impacts every hockey fan’s life like any other notable player

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018

All I had to do was ask and voila, we know why Seguin isn't on the list. Any Stars fans disagree with this assesment?

And you still know nothing about the methodology to come this conclusion or weigh whatever stats he blendered to come to that conclusion

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
My top 4 is the same except i have Crosby ahead of Malkin. Barkov is a beast, he's criminally underrated.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
And you still know nothing about the methodology to come this conclusion or weigh whatever stats he blendered to come to that conclusion
We know what metrics were used. And that's enough when the list passes the smell test (outliers nothwithstanding).

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
By that logic Matthews definitely impacts every hockey fan’s life like any other notable player

Somewhat incorrect.

Only participation in arguments on the player may impact a person's life if he/she lets it. Anger, denial, frustration, and more. Which, unfortunately, is a problem for many individuals in these list/ranking threads.

Taxes, politics, traffic, and Matthews.

Which one doesn't fit?

We can imagine how bad things are when Matthews is now being lumped in with these issues.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Funny how people that completely disregard statistical analysis will have no problem using point totals as the be-all, end-all evaluation tool for players.

Points are just one pretty good but limited measure of offensive impact.
How most people judge players is hilariously simple. Offense: point totals. Defense: reputation.

Reactions: Placid Perspicuity

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
And I really don't get what issues people have with Matthews' ranking. You really can't have him outside top 10 unless you're biased. I personally wouldn't have him lower than #8.

Life's easier when you accept the guy's really good. Saves some headaches.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston

All I had to do was ask and voila, we know why Seguin isn't on the list. Any Stars fans disagree with this assesment?

Ken Hitchcock is a dump and chase coach so if controlled zone entries are part of the model then no Stars players will have a chance.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Ken Hitchcock is a dump and chase coach so if controlled zone entries are part of the model then no Stars players will have a chance.
Good point. If we're using "common sense" then Benn and Radulov should probably make their respective lists. We'll see how that goes.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Somewhat incorrect.

Only participation in arguments on the player may impact a person's life if he/she lets it. Anger, denial, frustration, and more. Which, unfortunately, is a problem for many individuals in these list/ranking threads.

Taxes, politics, traffic, and Matthews.

Which one doesn't fit?

We can imagine how bad things are when Matthews is now being lumped in with these issues.
No. Any failure or success he has impacts the game as a whole, as any team’s prominent players do

Which changes the dates of other teams and thereby impacting any fans consuming hockey

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
No. Any failure or success he has impacts the game as a whole, as any team’s prominent players do

Which changes the dates of other teams and thereby impacting any fans consuming hockey

I'll concede to that point. It's valid. Pretty much for any player, not just notable ones.

Which brings us back to lists/rankings with Matthews in the top 10. How is this impacting a person's consumption of hockey?

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I'll concede to that point. It's valid. Pretty much for any player, not just notable ones.

Which brings us back to lists/rankings with Matthews in the top 10. How is this impacting a person's consumption of hockey?
Varying expectations for both the team/players you are a fan of and the potential competition they face.

Expectations will tend to define almost all consumption of any entertainment

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Wrong.

It sure did. I included the restaurant example, the steak is a common sub-example of something that gets sent back to the kitchen and a reason why (had to re-fire stuff all the time when I worked in kitchens). It's cold, it's undercooked, etc. According to the logic of the person I replied to: If the person eating the steak is not paid to cook steak, then their opinion about it's doneness doesn't mean anything. Which is utterly bullshit. That's me pointing out his logical fallacy.

There are only two ways you can argue that the steak impacts your quality of life:
1) Is it hazardous for your health (raw, poisoned)? IE - you will suffer physically as a result of eating poorly cooked food.
2) Does eating an underdone steak make you feel bad about the taste and/or wasting money on the food? IE - You will suffer mentally as a result of eating poorly cooked food.

Once again USING HIS LOGIC, if you aren't paid to cook steak, your opinion about it's level of doneness doesn't mean shit. So don't send it back, unless you are actually getting Botulism at the table, but if you aren't a doctor, then your opinion about botulism doesn't mean shit. That's his useless logic applied to situations.
Using the above logic - if the level of doneness makes you sad and negatively impacts your mental wellbeing, then you have a right to send it back, correct? But then how can you turn around and say - but Matthew's doesn't impact your life... by the same token if his #5-Centre placement makes someone sad because they feel their guy (Bergeron, Kopitar, etc) should be higher, then don't they have a right to complain if you have a right to complain about a cold steak? A cold steak won't kill you, but it will impact your enjoyment and therefore - quality of life. Matthews placement in the list won't kill you, but it may impact your enjoyment of TSN articles and therefore quality of life. So why do you say one impacts you and the other doesn't?

That's a good field. Yes taxes do improve your quality of life, I wasn't arguing otherwise. What I was arguing was that taxes should not negatively impact your life. Is the negative-impact from a decrease in buying power more than the positive-impact of all the benefits you listed? It shouldn't be. Therefore, people in general shouldn't complain about paying taxes. But they do, and b his logic, they shouldn't unless they get paid in one of those fields.

I worked with a group of people in a lower income job, we got paid on Friday, by Monday they had spent half their cheque. By Next Monday they had barely enough food to get through the week. Outside of their rent, their largest disbursement was Alcohol, Pot, and Powder. When the minimum wage increased (which should increase spending power) the situation didn't change... The increase of funds, was used to increase their supply of drugs and alcohol...Would paying less tax (on the new income) increase their quality of life? In their minds yes but in practice no, because they would spend even more money on dugs and alcohol. It would make them feel good mentally, but the physical damage should net below zero in this case (in the long run).
You are talking about an entirely different issue than he is and trying to quote what I said as proof that he was right... He used a blanket statement to say - "if you aren't paid for your opinion, then it's worth nothing". I think that people complain about Matthews because it does affect their quality of life, as all forms of entertainment do. Does this argument/forum affect your quality of life? If it doesn't, then why do you keep posting?

I'll admit it affects mine, because it helps me form opinions about hockey related things. Which is why I value some posters thoughts more than others.
My opinions are a result of me looking at the presented data (this article) through the scope of my experiences and then trying to remove my bias (which doesn't always work). My experiences are direct product of things that impacted my life and my previous opinions...It would be no different than someone who recommends a restaurant based on their previous experience and opinion of the food....Are you going to follow that dudes logic and tell them to shut it next time, unless they are paid to give reviews?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad