Sportsnet top 20 centres

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Isn't this like the 5th top-20 thread that starts with a remark about how everyone will hate where Matthews is placed? I happen to think he's a great player, I think he is a little higher than he should be (but not much)....what I'm actually starting to hate is the weekly mantra - "everyone will hate where Matthews is placed"...it's getting so overused

#hateception

kujo31

Aug 18, 2007
Isn't this like the 5th top-20 thread that starts with a remark about how everyone will hate where Matthews is placed? I happen to think he's a great player, I think he is a little higher than he should be (but not much)....what I'm actually starting to hate is the weekly mantra - "everyone will hate where Matthews is placed"...it's getting so overused

#hateception
Becuase it’s usualy the only ranking everyone can talk about, generally you can agree because most rankings are opinions. This is statistical so it’s harder to argue

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I know it's a statistical analysis and ranking, but Kuznetsov should be above Backstrom. Do Caps fans agree?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Becuase it’s usualy the only ranking everyone can talk about, generally you can agree because most rankings are opinions. This is statistical so it’s harder to argue

Right, it's the only ranking people can talk about, so let's draw more attention to it by constantly bringing it up in the OP? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

The people who hate Matthews will still argue against it using saying he "hasn't even hit 70 points" and we will continue to go around in a circle jerk. I personally think Scheif should be much higher and one of the stats used against him is high danger shots. Meh, he gets less high danger shots because he drifted away from the net, but still puts up over PPG? He says he's is one of the most active defensive centres but then has Stamkos ahead of him, who in his words - "wasn't an active defender" and where "Kucherov is arguably a bigger factor?". Then has Getzlaf high because of his defense.

Hardly seems 'definitive'.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Getzlaf is super underrated every since the Ducks constantly disappointed their fans after their cup winning season. Hes never been the reason that they suck. I would say hes been top 5 for a long time, minus a few down years.
He's still to this day, even with one horrible off year when he had his firstborn, one of the top ten P/PG players in the league.

But more than being underrated offensively, his defense has always been slept on. I remember in Toews vs. Getzlaf comparisons, fans would say Getzlaf wouldn't know defense if it smacked him in the face. Like. Thanks for proving you never watch him play.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Right, it's the only ranking people can talk about, so let's draw more attention to it by constantly bringing it up in the OP? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

The people who hate Matthews will still argue against it using saying he "hasn't even hit 70 points" and we will continue to go around in a circle jerk. I personally think Scheif should be much higher and one of the stats used against him is high danger shots. Meh, he gets less high danger shots because he drifted away from the net, but still puts up over PPG? He says he's is one of the most active defensive centres but then has Stamkos ahead of him, who in his words - "wasn't an active defender" and where "Kucherov is arguably a bigger factor?". Then has Getzlaf high because of his defense.

Hardly seems 'definitive'.

That's because defensive ability defines the quality of a centreman, or at least it should. Its a hard position to play and its difficult to think of too many centres that are elite defensively today, its a big factor.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
This needs a shart emoji. There should be one. I’d pay for it.

I won’t buy a subscription to the Athletic. But I’d pay for a shart emoji

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
That's because defensive ability defines the quality of a centreman, or at least it should. Its a hard position to play and its difficult to think of too many centres that are elite defensively today, its a big factor.

I understand that and I don't disagree with it, but then why is this criteria seemingly dropped when comparing Stamkos to Scheifele? The guy he praises for defense is ranked lower, yet there is no real gap between them offensively. Obviously it's not based on total points.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Malkin ahead of Crosby seems weird. Backstrom is also a 2c now for a reason

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
LOL. Yet another source that lists Matthews super high, and some anti-Leaf fans disagree with it vehemently. Surprise,. surprise!!

Matthews is one of the best. GET USED TO IT!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad